• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

- J - D -

that's a low, low bar

Setting my expectations.

I always saw AoS and Arrow in similar circumstances. Both were the vanguards of modern Marvel/DC TV, they kinda led the charge. They both had okay/good first years, then became truly great in their sophmore years. Both occasionally rely on crossover events to move plot along.

Then Arrow S3 shat the bed, and it's left me irrationally cautious about AoS S3.

Setting my expectations.

I always saw AoS and Arrow in similar circumstances. Both were the vanguards of modern Marvel/DC TV, they kinda led the charge. They both had okay/good first years, then became truly great in their sophmore years. Both occasionally rely on crossover events to move plot along.

Then Arrow S3 shat the bed, and it's left me irrationally cautious about AoS S3.

Well, S.H.I.E.L.D. doesnt have to worry about anything like Olicity. I mean you have romances, but nobody is going to be whiny like Felicity. It also helps that S.H.I.E.L.D. does have actors that are competent. Ain't gonna call em great, but they are mostly better than Arrow's crew.

AMUSIX

Thanks man. Thats a big ass thread...weird that i didnt find it. And thanks for the heads up dont plan on reading the thread before i finished season 1.
I often go back and read through threads while I'm binging an old show. Just keep an eye on the show's original air dates and compare them to the post dates and you'll be able to skim through a thread in time with the season.

In fact, I really think season OTs should have a TOC in the first post that links to the date of each episode. There's almost always a post showing the episode title and a spoilered synopsis. Don't suppose we'd want to do that for this thread? Start a new trend on GAF?

edit: For the Season 2 thread, it'd look something like this:

Magwik

Banned
Well, S.H.I.E.L.D. doesnt have to worry about anything like Olicity. I mean you have romances, but nobody is going to be whiny like Felicity. It also helps that S.H.I.E.L.D. does have actors that are competent. Ain't gonna call em great, but they are mostly better than Arrow's crew.
SHIELD also has the benefit of having nothing to do with Guggenheim

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
God I wanna start watching this, but people tell me of the horrors of the first like 5 episodes of S1.

Well, definitely watch the pilot, even if it's only OK. The show has monster-of-the-week-type episodes for until 10, at which point it becomes more or less serialized. Despite that, episodes 5 through 9 introduce characters and concepts that pay off later on, so it's worth watching them. You can safely skip episodes 2, 3 and 4, though. The show still will be iffy through most of season 1, but it'll pay off when you get to the much better season 2.

X05

Upside, inside out he's livin la vida loca, He'll push and pull you down, livin la vida loca
This is coming soon, so hype :D

Hopefully AoS season 3 is better than Arrow season 3.
That's like the lowest bar on the planet :p

This, let's not forget that Skyward was actually handled properly.

LaNaranja

God I wanna start watching this, but people tell me of the horrors of the first like 5 episodes of S1.

They are fine. I just finished rewatching the show last week and those first few episodes are ok the first time and actually better then second time in hindsight knowing what is going to happen and where the characters are in season 2. Shit like May being called "the Calvary" doesn't pay off until close to the end of season 2.

Season 2 is better but I've never understood the criticism for season 1. I watched it all except the second episode (which my DVR failed to record) and thought it was fine.

If previous Mutant Enemy productions are anything to go by, BtVS and Angel were the only shows to get three + seasons. BtVS' S3 was godlike, Angel S3 was shaky, but still fairly good.

So, I'm very optimistic.

It's honestly fine, they're just slow. The effects and choreography isn't the best either, but the main issue is the pacing. And they are quite slow. Just keep that in mind and you'll be fine.

KevinCow

Banned
They finally added Mack as a star? And Lincoln's a star, too? And Ward's back as a star?

This cast is getting to be pretty big. Somebody's going to die this season.

iosefe

Yes! It's almost time! Thanks for the OP, TheOddOne.

[edit] Here's the last thread's top 25 wall of shame, after 16,522 posts:

Code:
Slayven 		553
anaron 			489
BKatastrophe 		391
Danthrax 		367
kirblar 		360
Hours Left 		332
Neoxon 			321
Dai101 			303
BrokenFiction 		302
fallengorn 		252
duckroll 		252
Jest Chillin 		251
richiek 		251
HeySeuss 		225
J10 			222
NotTheGuyYouKill 	205
StudioTan 		191
Father_Brain 		188
TacticalFox88 		183
Htown 			156
guek 			155
Pai Pai Master 		149
StarCreator 		148
coolasj19 		141
iosefe 			138

oooh, just made the cut

They finally added Mack as a star? And Lincoln's a star, too? And Ward's back as a star?

This cast is getting to be pretty big. Somebody's going to die this season.
Probs Ward. Or he'll get demoted to recurring antagonist. We also know that something big is happening with Jemma, as well.

Khaz

Simmons is dead guys, just give up already. She was swallowed by a giant stone, and has been recast as Dark Fitz consciousness. The
portal
is a red herring.

iosefe

Simmons is dead guys, just give up already. She was swallowed by a giant stone, and has been recast as Dark Fitz consciousness. The
portal
is a red herring.

Red herring you say?
500px-Red_Herring.png

ONE WEEK

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?

They're fine but the show was finding it's footing. The biggest issue was having to wait week to week not knowing if the show would get better. It does, MUCH better. You won't have an issue binge watching. The show starts to take off at episode 10.

They're fine but the show was finding it's footing. The biggest issue was having to wait week to week not knowing if the show would get better. It does, MUCH better. You won't have an issue binge watching. The show starts to take off at episode 10.

I feel if season 1 had managed a week to week schedule then there would be fewer complaints about it. The episode release dates were all over the place - during season 1's airing the show took random 2-4 week breaks with very little notice.

Frog-fu

Banned

Power through it. The mediocrity only lasts for 9 episodes. It gets pretty good from episode 10.

By episde 17 it's awesome.

Season 2 is great start to finish. Not a perfect season, but still reallly good.

anaron

They screened the premiere and did a Q&A tonight

@NatalieAbrams: Just saw the #AgentsofSHIELD premiere. Can't say anything just yet, but whoa.

@TheEricGoldman: #AgentsofSHIELD premiere is very strong - lots of cool stuff! And hey, here's the gang! (and @feliciaday moderating!) http://t.co/zXIGyNSJns

@Terri_Schwartz: And that's a wrap on the #AgentsofSHIELD premiere screening and Q&A! I can't talk about the episode, but I definitely wasn't disappointed.

@ModernMythMedia: The season 3 premiere of @Marvel's @AgentsofSHIELD is the #Marvel-iest piece of Marvel Television I've ever seen. So awesome! Watch and see!

Season 2 is better but I've never understood the criticism for season 1. I watched it all except the second episode (which my DVR failed to record) and thought it was fine.

First half of season 1 is like a Saturday morning cartoon compared to where the show ended up. There are no stakes, there's little direction and there's a lot of teasing...

But I do agree that it's overly-criticized. The worst I would say is that it might get dull at points but I don't agree with skipping episodes willy-nilly, because there have been a few people in these threads that quite enjoyed the show from the start.

Moaradin

I actually enjoyed a lot of S1 but I won't deny all the criticisms it gets. S2 was certainly much better and I wouldn't want the show to go back to S1 quality.

AMUSIX

We all agree that "Repairs" never happened, right? Because if an episode that bad actually did exist, then it might validate some of those Season 1 criticisms...

...good thing it doesn't.

Magwik

Banned
First half of season 1 is like a Saturday morning cartoon compared to where the show ended up. There are no stakes, there's little direction and there's a lot of teasing...

But I do agree that it's overly-criticized. The worst I would say is that it might get dull at points but I don't agree with skipping episodes willy-nilly, because there have been a few people in these threads that quite enjoyed the show from the start.
No it's not nearly as bad as people say, but it is very mediocre at least.
I enjoyed the first half somewhat anyways

If you count the final two-parter as one episode, then he appeared in 12 episodes. So a little more than half of the season.

Yeah, so I was pretty close then. He's pretty much already at the "recurring antagonist" stage now.
We all agree that "Repairs" never happened, right? Because if an episode that bad actually did exist, then it might validate some of those Season 1 criticisms...

...good thing it doesn't.

Call me crazy, but I recall 0-8-4 being worse than Repairs.

HeySeuss

I wonder how much longer they're going to keep Coulson being alive a secret. It's like the worst secret in the history of the MU, but the Avengers don't know he's alive. Maybe he has a cameo in Civil War since it could be related to the registration list.

It's silly though and needs to end.

Slacka

Call me crazy, but I recall 0-8-4 being worse than Repairs.

You're crazy!

in all seriousness though, while 0-8-4 was certainly a very weak episode, its a masterpiece when compared to Repairs, which was the really stupid stadalone ghost episode that felt incredibly out of place.

Setting my expectations.

On the bright side AoS isn't on a network with a target audience of teenage girls and women who still haven't grown out of Twilight. So there's no bat shit crazy portion of the audience (or it's very, very small) whose primary interest is holding a character who was originally only supposed to be a bit player up on a ridiculous pedestal because the live vicariously through her and in turn "ship" her with the main character while harassing whoever isn't on board and pester the writers and well everyone involved with the show pretty much non-stop. So for whatever ships there are the AoS's writers probably aren't going to shamelessly pander to it.

Of course even without that Olicity bullshit Arrow's third season had a ton of problems but it seemed this is where more of their interest was rather than telling a story that wasn't idiotic all while being devoid of fun unless the most important aspect to the show to you is that ship, which for a lot it really seems to be.

Top Bottom