• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S3 |OT| Earthquakes Make Me Daisy - Tuesdays 9/8c

Don't think you should bother with this show if you can't get through the rough edges. So much of S1 is important to everything that happened in S2 and beyond. I would have a hard time caring about stuff going on now if I wasn't invested with the characters, and the payoff wouldn't be nearly as cool without all the build up.

Other than the Ward turn nothing is important about season 1. It's complete garbage television. Choking down ~42 minutes of it a week was unpleasant, binge watching it would be a pure torture. Anyone wanting to start the show now should jump in at season two.

I still think outside of a few select episodes season 2 was crap too.

Season 3 has improved dramatically thank god.

I actually think I feel the opposite - I prefered season 2 to 3 so far. Season 2 seemed more cohesive and it felt like the team was barreling toward one big goal; so far, season 3 seems like a lot of disjointed plots that don't really meld together well for me.

Of course, I'm also one that found season 1 perfectly watchable, save for the unpredictable schedule.

Pachimari

To me, Season 3 is worse than S2. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this season lacks focus, and it went a step down.

I loved Season 1 though, also Season 2 with all of the Inhumans stuff.

Season 1 was some of the most boring crap I've ever had the displeasure to watch until the Winter Soldier stuff, and that was only like 5 episodes cause I kept skipping.

I still enjoy the show a lot, but I would have to say that the first ten episodes of S2 are the strongest, most creatively and narratively focused run the show has had to date. Since then, it's spent too much of its time juggling storylines that aren't that interesting on their own merits (the other SHIELD) or that take way too long to cohere into a satisfying whole (the current trinity of Lash, Ward, and the portal).

Pachimari

Right now, I really don't care about Lash or that he is Andrew, and which effect it will have on the team. I also don't care much for the whole portal plot, seeing that it turns out to be a love affair, and Jemma wanting to get Will back - I hope there's more to it than that. Them building the Secret Warriors team is also a really slow burn, who have they even got yet? Joey?

I'm only now interested in, where the whole ATCU plot is going, and what they're gonna do about their methods, and what'll become of Rosalind and Coulson.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
This gulf in quality between the seasons is quite overstated. Like others have said, there's a lot of good in season one and there are also weak parts in both the second and third season so far. The show got better, but it was a process. And I stand by what I said that season 2 is not very interesting as a starting point if you aren't already invested in the characters and what's going on.

It's a "take the bad with the good" show for me and it's not one I even recommend normally unless the other party is already interested. I truly enjoy AoS but let's be real, if someone is starting to watch it on season 2 because they're looking for quality television they can do better elsewhere.

To me, Season 3 is worse than S2. As mentioned earlier in the thread, this season lacks focus, and it went a step down.

I loved Season 1 though, also Season 2 with all of the Inhumans stuff.

Well season 3 has barely begun so an odd comparison, can easily split S2 in a bunch of different focuses, especially earlier on before some became linked. No doubt some of S3 focuses will link up.

Well season 3 has barely begun so an odd comparison, can easily split S2 in a bunch of different focuses, especially earlier on before some became linked. No doubt some of S3 focuses will link up.

C'mon, we're more than a quarter of the way through the season. It's not too soon to form opinions or make comparisons.

C'mon, we're more than a quarter of the way through the season. It's not too soon to form opinions or make comparisons.

For story? Unless you're comparing to the same amount of S2 episodes it is a flawed comparison. An entire season damn well better outperform a few episodes.

Quality of individual episodes, action etc is fine to compare.

For story? Unless you're comparing to the same amount of S2 episodes it is a flawed comparison. An entire season damn well better outperform a few episodes.

Quality of individual episodes, action etc is fine to compare.

Assuming they follow the same pattern as last season (with the major arcs split by the mid-season break), we're already more than halfway through the current arc. It's not too early to start making these comparisons - at this point in S2 they were just about to resolve the writing on the wall compulsion and were about to turn full attention to the Inhuman city. Season 2 felt like they were getting things done whereas in Season 3 it feels like they're just reacting to stuff as it happens.

guek

Banned
I think the episodes are stronger this season compared to the start of season 2 but the ongoing plot and narrative are weaker so far.

jph139

I agree that Season 3 feels like a step down so far (compared to the first ~6 episodes of Season 2), but I think a lot of that has to do with expectations. 1 -> 2 was a major step up in quality, and I don't think anyone saw that coming. 2 -> 3 could never compare.

Frog-fu

Banned
S3=S2>>>>>>>>>>S1

S1 isn't even bad.

It had a rough start, but only narratively. The acting, production and such were all fine. The procedural element of the show wasn't working, but it did set up greater investment in the Winter Soldier tie-in payoff, and from episode 11 onwards made the show legitimately fun and then good.

Season 2 was obviously much better, and season 3 - while still setting up the overarching plot - is poised to be even better, imo.

TheOddOne

New episode today:
Season 3: episode 7 "Chaos Theory"

As Agent Daisy Johnson and the team fight to protect Inhumans, S.H.I.E.L.D. discovers the shocking truth about one of their biggest foes. Meanwhile, Agent Leo Fitz helps Agent Jemma Simmons recover information that could lead them back through the portal.

Khaz

After seeing
a blurry Superman saving the day
in Supergirl, I wished they used similar tricks in this show to
bring some of the Avengers into the action

guek

Banned
After seeing

Best we'll get is more fist imprints from Hulk rubbing one out in his cabin

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
After seeing
AoS with no budget concerns would be like

UjmExTL.jpg

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
The motherfucking ABC affiliate in Cleveland's signal went out JUST as the "last week on Agents of SHIELD" began. I know it's not my antenna because EVERY other station comes in just fine. Fuck!

[Edit] There it goes. My dad texted me that he lost the signal on Dish, too, LoL

coolasj19

Why are you reading my tag instead of the title of my post?
The who of the what?
The motherfucking ABC affiliate in Cleveland's signal went out JUST as the "last week on Agents of SHIELD" began. I know it's not my antenna because EVERY other station comes in just fine. Fuck!
[Edit] There it goes. My dad texted me that he lost the signal on Dish, too, LoL
Dude, I'm sorry. We'll recap you when you get back?

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I don't think I really missed anything. Signal came back with Coulson, Daisy and Lash/Andrew talking about taking Zephyr to meet with the president or something

Top Bottom