• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

Also just a little thing, but I saw 3 TV episodes this week. 2 episodes of the new Prison Break season, and this one.

Both of them had Ogygia as a destination relevant to the plot.

EDIT: Also that moment when Aida and Fitz came out of the jet with their forces OHHH MY GOODD.......... Aida looked amazing, straight up looked like a villain from Star Wars.

Reminded me of Orson Krennic from Rogue One:
star-wars-rogue-one-george-lucas.jpg

EDIT2: AND SHE's GOT A GREEN STREAKS IN HER HAIR, I LOVE THIS.

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
i hope they get 1 last season and they know its the last one. if it's the same team doing s4, it would be an amazing send off.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
Worst case scenario is this season being the last one and ending on a cliffhanger. I don't have a problem with the show ending on S4, but I hope they don't attempt to leave things hanging.

jmood88

The framework stuff is not interesting at all. After the first 2/3rds of the season, this "what if" scenario is really disappointing.

LotusHD

Banned
The framework stuff is not interesting at all. After the first 2/3rds of the season, this "what if" scenario is really disappointing.

It's pretty reductive to describe it solely as being "what if" imo. They could die in here, they'll likely be traumatized by the experience once the arc ends, people like Fitz are wayyyyy too comfortable being evil, etc.

LionPride

Banned
It's pretty reductive to describe it solely as being "what if" imo. They could die in here, they'll likely be traumatized by the experience once the arc ends, people like Fitz are wayyyyy too comfortable being evil, etc.

Agreed, if anything it's a what if that will actually have outside implications

jmood88

The deaths in the framework being permanent just seems like it was thrown in there to make it feel like they're in danger while they run through their hypothetical situations with established characters. And I'm sure they'll figure out some way to have everyone stupidly feel guilt over stuff they won't fully remember and had no control over but it still doesn't make any of this more entertaining or less disappointing following the other arcs of the season. For the first time since season 1, I don't care if I have to miss an episode.

Zomba13

Yeah. Going into it I thought it'd just be a "What if?" with no consequences and all that, yeah the whole "if you die in the game you die in real life!" stuff but that applies to every episode up to this point anyway. But I never thought about "oh, they are these character we know but twisted. It's really them really doing these things" and that is the interesting bit. Seeing Fitz become this sadistic, twisted villain and it actually, really be him and not just an alternate version. At the end of this Fitz will be fucked up having done this stuff and felt this stuff. Even if he's (mostly) just killed and tortured AI, he still thought they were real at the time.

It's going to be very interesting seeing these character remember their real lives and how they will live with themselves after the fact.

LaNaranja

Didn't realize we were back, just caught up on the last two episodes. This show continues to be fantastic.

This is my favorite hot take on this episode

They're in a Grant Ward Sim. (This is also a hint that Framework Ward will either sacrifice himself for them to escape, or leave with them and become a true Agent of SHIELD.. LMD or something.)

Monsters can be made but so can heroes.

AOS has always been mum on Ward actually being irredeemably psychopathic since birth or whatever. He had formative experiences to encourage an internal and external narrative, as 'bad people' much more likely have happen in reality. Season 1 reveals his evil, Season 2 shows the consequence of his evil, Season 3 adds tragedy to what evil he has wrought, and Season 4 shows a sliver of redemption, if we're to believe in Ward in some cosmic sense than practical. That redemption comes partially as the other characters realize just how blurred good and bad can be when experimented with.

Thankfully, AOS didn't do a real cop out with directly redeeming S1 Ward. That's not how it went, and not how it ever should have went, if the goal was good (instead of just cheaply effective) storytelling. This is more about how the other characters can view the character of Ward, not how he as a person can be quickly forgiven and his offenses forgotten and everything is better now lalala.

This is how I felt after watching it. They are doing a really fantastic job of showing how different circumstances can result in people turning out completely different. If ever there was a way to redeem Ward and bring him back on the team, this would be it. In past seasons Ward apologized and said he wanted to be back on the main team multiple times but he was never given that second chance which drove him deeper and deeper into solitude once he lost Garrett (and off a cliff when he lost Agent 13). Ward was a victim of having an abuse brother as a child and then Garrett taking advantage of it to mold him when he was young. How else was he supposed to turn out?

How would Fitz or May saying "sorry for the evil shit we did, we were victims of circumstance" be any different?

ZeoVGM

Banned
Can we talk about how fantastic the writing staff on this show is? It's honestly amazing to me what they've managed to do, not just with the show but with this specific arc in general. The storytelling is top tier.

One of the biggest worries was that this "what if" world would feel as if it lacked consequences and meaning. They immediately eased all those fears and surpassed what I thought they could have done with it. This is legitimately the most stressed my fiance and I have ever felt while watching the show and it's taking place completely in a virtual reality alternate universe.

All of this clearly does matter and makes me more excited for a potential season 5 due to the fallout. Fitz having to live with the memory of murdering an innocent woman. Mack needing to leave his daughter behind after finally having the chance to live a life with her.

What if the leaving the Framework with those memories screws with the personality of some characters? The idea of Fitz having those evil thoughts in the back of his mind and trying to suppress them while in the real world is actually frightening.

Season 5, please.

ZeoVGM

Banned
If any of the crew dies in the Framework, it's Mac with his daughter. The death of Alphanso Mackenzie will be a sad one

I don't think Mack dies. But I do think that he might be the one they have a hard time pulling back into the real world. I can see them forcing him back and taking him away from Hope even though he wants to stay.

Fuu

Formerly Alaluef (not Aladuf)
it just hit me that the series ending with an arc that happens inside a separate reality with consequences that only affect the characters from the show would be meta as hell.

ZeoVGM

Banned
ABC released synopses for the two episodes after tonight. Second one is a bit more spoilery than the first.

"All The Madame's Men" -
Daisy finds herself teamed up with an unlikely partner. Meanwhile, Aida prepares to put her ultimate end game into effect, on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,"
TUESDAY, APRIL 25 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.

"Farewell, Cruel World!" -
The clock is ticking for Daisy and Simmons to get the team out of the Framework, but not everyone is ready and willing to leave, on "Marvel's Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D.,"
TUESDAY, MAY 2 (10:00-11:00 p.m. EDT), on The ABC Television Network.

Still two episodes left after those.

Top Bottom