• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

The car getting hit looked good, but it broke suspension of disbelief for me. The skull transformation is great though; I don't see the reason for the complaints at all.

I just like how they tried to pay homage to the comic.

u1XoAfp.jpg

dorikyasu

so what the hell was that in that box..
giphy.gif

Not sure about the rest of the show, but Ghost Rider was actually good in this episode.
I wouldn't mind having a spin-off series starring this version of GR. Matter of the fact, if the show doesn't get renewed next season, Ghost Rider should take over its spot.

Drahcir

I just like how they tried to pay homage to the comic.

I also remembered from the comics that the main villain of the first story arc of All-New Ghost Rider was Calvin Zabo/Mr. Hyde. Quake wasn't a part of that storyline, but it's still interesting to have that connection now that Quake and Ghost Rider have their own subplot going.

RatskyWatsky

Hunky Nostradamus
Looks like Ghost Rider didn't help the ratings at all:

“Agents of SHIELD” drew a 1.1 for ABC, down from 1.7 for last fall’s premiere and up from the 1.0 for last season's finale.

Hope they don't pull an Agent Carter and end the season on a cliffhanger.

I think we should wait. I know a lot (4 but that's something in my group of friends) of people who are now going to start watching based off the positive reaction on the Internet.

Penguin

I do think if it remains fairly consistent at 10pm, may get an additional season because ABC hasn't had the best luck with that slot in recent years

anaron

^ yeah, I feel like it should be ok if stays there.

I know they've been promoting the Ghost Rider angle but I think it was probably a big wait and see for a lot of people. None of the trailers even showed what he looked like.

On another note, I hope James wasn't completely thrown away due to Robbie. lol

Hopefully DVR numbers provide a bump and positive word of mouth brings more people in next week.

I still wonder if the margin of error on these things has gotten so high as to make the numbers totally irrelevant...

Cuburt

Excellent intro.

I can already tell Ghost Rider will be the superpowered character to break the curse.

-TV friendly transformation and powers (more or less)
-Name recognition
-Cool design and dark imagery
-Compelling mythology

Hopefully positive WoM will turn around the ratings through this season because that could mean good things for both Superheroes on ABC shows and AoS going into the future. I mean, if they have proof that a big named character will get some more of those MCU film fans, we might get bigger TV budgets and othet powered hero shows, maybe even a Ghost Rider spin-off.

If it worked for Punisher, it might work for GR. Also Gabriel Luna is pretty good casting.

Drahcir

So does this GR just straight up kill people or does he have the penance stare too?

Well, in the comics, he doesn't have penance stare. I think only the original GR had that power. But new GR could phase through things and create portals. Not sure if the show will give him those same powers though.

Sadist

Good first ep to open the season with;

- Mack, dude, really; get in. Don't wuss out.
- Fitz and Simmons not working together anymore? Man, stop hurting my favourite couple damnit.
- The new director sounds like a great person. No really.
- Daisy looking as fine as ever. Wonder why she lost the wrist bands, they control her powers. Guess it has tracers in 'em or something like it?
- The LMD project will be a fun sidestory. Fitz will go all weird science on it.
- Gemma and May are not on good terms right now, ouch. May gets grounded like every time as well.
- Yooooo Ghost Rider looks great! The transformation looks pretty damn cool too. Pleasantly surprised.
- Great fight scene between Robbie and Daisy btw.
- And oooooh, May infected with the ghostly terror faces? Wonder how May will surpress it. Or try hiding it.

Neoxon

Good first ep to open the season with;

• Mack, dude, really; get in. Don't wuss out.
  • Fitz and Simmons not working together anymore? Man, stop hurting my favourite couple damnit.
  • The new director sounds like a great person. No really.
  • Daisy looking as fine as ever. Wonder why she lost the wrist bands, they control her powers. Guess it has tracers in 'em or something like it?
  • The LMD project will be a fun sidestory. Fitz will go all weird science on it.
  • Gemma and May are not on good terms right now, ouch. May gets grounded like every time as well.
  • Yooooo Ghost Rider looks great! The transformation looks pretty damn cool too. Pleasantly surprised.
  • Great fight scene between Robbie and Daisy btw.
  • And oooooh, May infected with the ghostly terror faces? Wonder how May will surpress it. Or try hiding it.
Mack has been helping Fitz out with his lady troubles for a long time, it's about time that Mack got some himself.

Zomba13

Liked:
-Fitz not telling Simmons makes sense because of her position and the lie detector stuff. It makes the whole "keeping secrets from your best friend" trope make sense because telling her would end up getting everyone involved in trouble.

Didn't like:
-May gets infected and sees and hears weird stuff after being near a box that was opened and caused people to kill each other. Yes, the don't know what was in the box or what happened only that the box was opened then bad things happened. What does May do? The same shit that always happens when it doesn't make sense, she decided to go "nah, everything is fine. I'm ok and totally didn't see and hear weird stuff since being near that weird open box that seemingly made people kill each other".

Basically, the same "keeping secrets from people close to you who can help" twice in the same episode but done well the first time then the terrible usual way the second. It's going to be episodes of build up of it getting worse, of May seeing and hearing things more and more, lashing out more before she ends up going too far then comes clean and then they fix her.

Khaz

Didn't like:
-May gets infected and sees and hears weird stuff after being near a box that was opened and caused people to kill each other. Yes, the don't know what was in the box or what happened only that the box was opened then bad things happened. What does May do? The same shit that always happens when it doesn't make sense, she decided to go "nah, everything is fine. I'm ok and totally didn't see and hear weird stuff since being near that weird open box that seemingly made people kill each other".

Uh? They showed up after everybody killed each other. As far as they know it's nothing unusual, it's like a drug deal gone bad with an empty box that should have been filled with money or drugs. Do you often get suspicious of empty boxes?

May had a split second hallucination, a weird thought that disappeared the moment she realised it was there. Again, nothing to link it to that suspiciously empty box. And she knows how to keep her cool, she sure isn't going to start shooting at her morphing friends, she knows better than to be scared of weird stuff like that trigger happy gang leader. She's the Cavalry after all.

May doesn't trust Simmons any more, and she was the go to person to see whenever people had health problems. The team is also completely split up, they rarely see each other. So this may play in, with May having no one to confide in about this sort of stuff.

Unfortunately I have choir on Tuesday nights so I was only able to watch it just now (and miss all of your live reactions!). I thought it was decent. I always (always) hate time jumps as I think they are more than often a lazy way of writing your way out of a corner. That being said it was pretty entertaining. I really only thought the CG at the beginning with the flipping car looked bad and some of the editing was really quick with some sharp transitions. Other than that I thought it set up some interesting things.

Just got caught up and haven't had a chance to gauge reactions yet but I thought that was a GREAT Season Premier and gives me a lot of hope for this season. They are handling Robbie perfectly. That skull transformation scene was awesome.

And my wife who isn't familiar with Ghost Rider at all freaked out when that scene happened. Legit jaw open shocked at that.

Jonogunn

Ghost rider looked so damn good my God. I hope that didn't cost them too much to do and we see more of it.

From what I read fire is a cgi that animators got nailed down now...that or it's the most difficult. I forgot...

Kalentan

Really liked Episode 1. I've been seeing a lot of people saying they want to check Shield out. Hopefully more people begin to tune in!

Magwik

Banned
If somebody were to ask me that Ghost Rider would have great reception on SHIELD I would have just laughed. It really seems like they nailed it though.

neorej

ERMYGERD!
Loved it. Great first episode to get the ball rolling.

- The title worked on three levels, very clever
- The new director is being kept a secret for now, which is great, it adds to the mystery
- Jemma going off against May to explain how she's been playing a game in order to maintain some level of control was lovely, a change of pace from the usual dmasel in distress that she was
- John Hannah is back you can never have too much John Hannah, especially when he's tinkering with LMDs
- Yo-Yo's accent was a little too thick at times
- Mack & Coulson work great as a duo
- Ghost Rider was better than it had any right to be, very well done
- Daisy's make-up looked like a 12 yr old was trying mascara for the first time. Not digging it
- The little Sokovia Accord references made me realize how the TV-movie connection only runs one way and made me sad

anaron

It's funny that warts and all, AoS has now incorporated more variety of the Marvel world than any other property.

Various enhanced individuals, Graviton, Deathlok, Hydra, Inhumans, Kree, Mockingbird, Secret Warriors, Lash, Hive, Quake, Mr. Hyde, Absorbing Man, Talbot, Hive, LMDs, Ghost Rider.

Jackpot

Banned
It's just weird how Fitz and Hana don't even attempt to address the possible negative ramifications of an android that can pass for human. In the world they live in.

BTA

I haven't watched the show since like 2/3 of the way through season 2.

I just glanced at that summary in the OP and uh. Things went places, didn't they?

Was already gonna catch up at some point; maybe now it'll be sooner rather than later...

KonradLaw

Liked the Ghost Rider. Hope there's a lot of him. But I can't be bothered to catch up two past seasons :D I will just watch from this point forward :)

VAD

I guess it's symptomatic of the Marvel movies being somewhat forgettable but, are we supposed to know who is the new director? Why is this not Coulson anymore?

neorej

ERMYGERD!
I guess it's symptomatic of the Marvel movies being somewhat forgettable but, are we supposed to know who is the new director? Why is this not Coulson anymore?

I don't think we know why Coulson is no longer director, but my guess is that he stepped down, tired of all the bullshit he needed to deal with, as he is more a hands-on type of guy.

Well SHIELD is back as legit organization now, no more under the radar black ops organization. Can't have a dead man be their director I guess...

I wonder if SHIELD is under United Nation now since they mention the sokovia accord.

Funky Papa

FUNK-Y-PPA-4
Stray comments:

-Ghost Rider was a hell of a lot cooler than I was expecting. Even the initial chase looked amazing. Too bad we all know that's where half of the season's budget went.
-That blood splatter at the begining and those creepy faces... The show already feels a bit darker and grittier.
-The new bus continues to look rad AF.
-May continues to bore me out of my skull.
-John Hannah continues to be Scotland's' national treasure.
-I've never liked Yo-Yo. I find her persona aggravating and her power kinda lame, but if Mack doesn't get into that he deserves to be slapped across the face. She's throwing herself at you, you big dummy.
-This whole "oh, new scary director" already feels old and that was just the season premiere.

JIFs:

P9FlErL.gif
d0KkaD0.gif
iHUlxsw.gif

Anyway, it was a fairly decent episode and a good way to start the season. I like the new tone, the action and Ghost Rider, which is far more than I could say about most of S3.

Top Bottom