• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

That makes sense now. Still not sure about the episode as a whole though. For as good as the season was it seemed a bit anticlimactic and you could tell it was paced a bit fast given they had to fit the content into an hour, and the last 5 minutes was pretty odd. It did have some pretty great CG Ghost Rider scenes so that was neat.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
I think the confusion is coming from how fast the pacing was. They didn't show the Rider transferring between Coulson and Robbie.

I wish we could get a version of that episode that's like 50 percent longer.

Open Threads:

The Superior
The Russian who was with The Superior
LMD Fitz
Deathlok
Gravitiom
Talbot's recovery.
Where did backup Jemma come from?
The Superior still had the Framework Printer
The Superior's job was to protect the Framework, right?

Were you on your phone while shit was going down? How could you not follow the story?

Read the above. The pacing of the episode was off the charts and they never once showed the transfer to Coulson. I feel like it should be pretty easy to see where the confusion would come from this episode.

Lonestar

I joined for Erin Brockovich discussion

xEXvrla.gif

Falling gif
end of AIDA gif

you're welcome ;P

Epcott

At first I was like

"Is Coulson in the Raft?"

Then I saw the asteroid field and was like

"No... he's in S.W.O.R.D. 😮"

And then got teary eyed when I saw Booth's mention.

Lonestar

I like that you can see the differences in the look of GR, depending on "who the host is"

Coulson's is much closer to what we all assume was Johnny Blaze's GR.

That was an LMD of a real person to get into the meeting with Talbot.

Thinking on it, I wonder if this is a tiny glimpse of something like my "Invasion of the Body Snatchers". The "new" Russian was chosen because he was some important Russian diplomat. He existed. Now he has 2 LMD's running, with no mention of where this real russian diplomat is.

Even the strange acting from Talbot's assistant, hell even the strange "can't get ahold of Talbot" and surviving a gunshot to the head. It's all strange.

ZeoVGM

Banned
Read the above. The pacing of the episode was off the charts and they never once showed the transfer to Coulson. I feel like it should be pretty easy to see where the confusion would come from this episode.

They literally showed Coulson transform into Ghost Rider. lol

Open Threads:

The Superior
LMD Fitz
Deathlok
Gravitiom
Talbot's recovery.
Where did backup Jemma come from?
The Superior still had the Framework Printer
The Superior's job was to protect the Framework, right?

1. Biggest question
2. He's a throwaway dead/kidnapped diplomat
3. Is he still running around? Figured he blew up with the base
4. Lol
5. Double lol
6. Another good one, wonder where that will go
7. Fitz helped design the lmds, not crazy that he could put something together
8. It's in the ocean
9. He was freed when Aida was freed.

Quick

Banned

The whole setup is supposed to be a surprise fakeout. The writers didn't think we're so dumb as to require an additional scene that can instead be left to the imagination of the viewers.

It was fast, yes, but it's not rocket science.

The issue I had was the fight scene with Aida happening seemingly simultaneously with Mack/YoYo getting out of the Framework. So seeing Coulson/Robbie going after Aida while also switching between scenes with Daisy and Robbie seemed a bit odd. But that all makes sense now.

It was just extremely odd pacing all around.

The whole setup is supposed to be a surprise fakeout. The writers didn't think we're so dumb as to require an additional scene that can instead be left to the imagination of the viewers.

Sure, but again the pacing of the episode left a lot to be desired.

The issue I had was the fight scene with Aida happening seemingly simultaneously with Mack/YoYo getting out of the Framework. So seeing Coulson/Robbie going after Aida while also switching between scenes with Daisy and Robbie seemed a bit odd. But that all makes sense now.

It was just extremely odd pacing all around.

Sure, but again the pacing of the episode left a lot to be desired.

Huh? Robbie was in the ship with Daisy through the whole battle. He only got off after Aida was dead.

This wasn't confusing. Coulson talked with Robbie and everyone else, he had a crazy plan. Cut to him becoming the Rider, and from previous episodes we know the Rider can transfer (remember that MackRider episode).
The Zephyr was parked on the base, going from there to the base wouldn't take long, so the cut from Robbie / Daisy inside the plane to Robbie / Coulson in the base would not be impossible.

Compared to something that's actually confusing (hello, American Gods), this was quite on the nose.

Lonestar

Who is the current Comic version of Ghost Rider, unless there are multiple. I know Coulson is a tiny character in there, but wonder if they'd revamp the character with this possibility in mind

D

Deleted member 20920

Unconfirmed Member
I'm referring to the scene directly after the fight where Coulson and Robbie spoke.

Coulson gets the spirit from Robbie ---------> Kills Aida------------>Mack and Yoyo gets out of the Framework-------> Robbie takes the spirit back and talks to Coulson. Not that complicated.....

ZeoVGM

Banned
Who is the current Comic version of Ghost Rider, unless there are multiple. I know Coulson is a tiny character in there, but wonder if they'd revamp the character with this possibility in mind

Marvel went back to having Robbie as the main comic Ghost Rider to coincide with AoS. Coulson is still S.H.I.E.L.D.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
MARVEL'S AGENTS OF SHIELD SHOWRUNNERS TALK SEASON 5 AND SPACE CLIFFHANGER

IGN said:
IGN: You tried out the pod format this season and fans responded well to it. Are you looking to bring that technique of breaking up the season to Season 5?
Bell: That was really a result of scheduling. We've always had at least a couple different story arcs, but people really did respond well to it. 22 [episodes], that's a long single arc to tell. I do think people responded well to the different types of stories, and I suspect we'll look at that again as we go forward.

IGN: Going back to the cliffhanger, that diner scene at first very much reminded me of the shawarma scene at the end of Avengers. Was there ever version of that sequence that didn't have the cliffhanger, in case for whatever reason you didn't get picked up?
Bell: It's what it is. There was not a nice quiet shawarma version of it where they go, "Oh, it's nice to be together." It was always supposed to be, "Oh look, we're finally together. Oh no, something bad happens."

IGN: I am excited we're going back to space, though! Can you say how long it's been in the show between when the team gets taken and when we pick back up with Coulson at the end?
Whedon: [silence] We can't say.
Bell: We acknowledge there's a time jump.

IGN: [laughs] I'll take that. Is Coulson's deal with the Ghost Rider directly related to the team being taken at the end of the season, or unrelated?
Bell: [silence] That's a good question.
Whedon: We can't say. Yeah, good question. Tune in! [laughs]

IGN: Going back a little bit, how long have you been planning for Coulson to be the Ghost Rider -- and what was Clark Gregg's reaction to finding out that news?
Bell: To say he was happy, it would be an understatement.
Whedon: I think what he said when we told him was, "I didn't think I could geek out more," but he was like, "It seems I can."
Bell: Yeah, that was what he said.

IGN: Can you clarify: did Coulson make a deal with the devil to take on the Ghost Rider identity, or will we find out a bit more of the logistics of that deal that's alluded to soon?
Whedon: We'll find out more about it, but I think it's safe to say he made a deal with the Ghost Rider, or the powers behind him. We'll see what it all means, but it didn't come for free. It wasn't like, "Hey bro, can I borrow that? Can I just borrow that Ghost Rider thing for a second?"
Bell: Right, like borrowing a T-shirt.

Danthrax

Batteries the CRISIS!
Can we post quotes from that interview? Because they hint at stuff that may be spoilery...

There's nothing in there that's earthshattering. It's a public interview released minutes after the season four finale and 7½ months before the season five premiere. It's fine.

Lonestar

Can we post quotes from that interview? Because they hint at stuff that may be spoilery...

yeah, the potential of Coulson's secret being something else is thought provoking.

could the secret be "all of your team will be stuck in SWORD no matter what they want to do?" Not sure how GR would know of any of that, but planets/dimensions/#itsallconnected# so who knows. Maybe the part about Robbie not envying Coulson is because he sold his team into some serious offworld shit without telling them

LotusHD

Banned

IGN: You tried out the pod format this season and fans responded well to it. Are you looking to bring that technique of breaking up the season to Season 5?

Bell: That was really a result of scheduling. We've always had at least a couple different story arcs, but people really did respond well to it. 22 [episodes], that's a long single arc to tell. I do think people responded well to the different types of stories, and I suspect we'll look at that again as we go forward.

You better!

SRG01

There's nothing in there that's earthshattering. It's a public interview released minutes after the season four finale and 7½ months before the season five premiere. It's fine.

Okay, because this part is quite telling:

IGN: As for Robbie, was he in Niflheim, aka Hel? It seems like that's what you were alluding to with him talking about different worlds.

Whedon: Umm... you can read into it what you will. That's all I can say on the matter.

Volimar

Okay, because this part is quite telling:

IGN: As for Robbie, was he in Niflheim, aka Hel? It seems like that's what you were alluding to with him talking about different worlds.

Whedon: Umm... you can read into it what you will. That's all I can say on the matter.

"Stop trying to make #itsallconnected happen."

SRG01

What? SWORD is definitely part of Avengers universe.

What?

That guy's most likely mistaken. SWORD seems like it should be a shared property -- Abigail Brand (and all of the Shi'ar Empire stuff) for FOX, and SWORD for Marvel.

Unless they're planning for Alpha Flight. Or something completely different.

ZeoVGM

Banned
That guy's most likely mistaken. SWORD seems like it should be a shared property -- Abigail Brand (and all of the Shi'ar Empire stuff) for FOX, and SWORD for Marvel.

Unless they're planning for Alpha Flight. Or something completely different.

"That guy" works on the show. :p

It was introduced in and was a big part of Astonishing X-Men so it actually makes sense if Fox fully owns it.

ZeoVGM

Banned
I was a bit bothered by how open they left the S.H.I.E.L.D. stuff. Is S.H.I.E.L.D now dead again? Did the tape of Daisy get released to the public?

Top Bottom