• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

Did whoever use that device to turn them into ghosts or where they powering the device in some way?

gzgzsjj.jpg

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Fairly certain now that our SHIELD MCU crossover episode will be all up in that magic shit. Doc Strange gonna be showing up on SHIELD to lay out some fools (I wish).

Well, it's not like Cumberbatch doesn't do television.

But yeah, let's be real, not happening.

Luke Cage reminded me that I still haven't watched Daredevil or Jessica Jones.

I guess the Congress folks (which look surprisingly diverse) don't remember the previously dead Agent Coulson?

jon bones

hot hot hanuman-on-man action
That episode was tremendously good.

Love that we're going full magic this season so quickly. God damn.

It also sounds like we've got ourselves an honest to god Spirit of Vengeance on our hands here instead of Eli Morrow. I'm actually thrilled at the idea that the MCU's Robbie Reyes is a "true" Ghost Rider.

Kai Dracon

Writing a dinosaur space opera symphony
I'm rather intrigued by the emphasis on the "book" and its relation to the Science Ghosts.

Given the rotting/bleeding eye effect, I wonder if this is going to turn out to be a book of arcane lore of the kind that will be in Doctor Strange. And the scientists were trying to execute spells from the book using technology as a shortcut to create magical effects.

It would be a good tie-in to Doctor Strange and establish that proper training is required to use the magic successfully.

inky

The best part of the episode was the lady ghost sitting in front of a computer and clicking on a mouse.

She's a scary entity that can materialize at will and can drive people mad by just phasing through them, oh, and she can sit down, click on stuff and open boxes too. I love post-modernity.

Khaz

The best part of the episode was the lady ghost sitting in front of a computer and clicking on a mouse.

She's a scary entity that can materialize at will and can drive people mad by just phasing through them, oh, and she can sit down, click on stuff and open boxes too. I love post-modernity.

That ticked me off a bit. You'd think as a ghost she'd be immaterial, needing lots of power / concentration to act of the physical world like being seen, pushing objects and making them fall. Traditional ghost stuff who can't really do much in the physical world apart from being scary and driving people insane. Not sitting on a chair and doing clicky clicky on the computer.

Cuburt

With how they are talking about an official SHIELD re-reveal to the public and their being a new director, I wonder if we are getting a setup for a new film SHIELD as well with this director, possibly first appearing in Doctor Strange.

I mean, it seems getting a SHIELD-like agency once again is an inevitability, especially after the Accords. In fact, I expect there to be multiple government agencies with multiple purposes, some maybe not so much clear cut "good guys".

With how they are talking about an official SHIELD re-reveal to the public and their being a new director, I wonder if we are getting a setup for a new film SHIELD as well with this director, possibly first appearing in Doctor Strange.

I mean, it seems getting a SHIELD-like agency once again is an inevitability, especially after the Accords. In fact, I expect there to be multiple government agencies with multiple purposes, some maybe not so much clear cut "good guys".

It's really cute that anyone still expects the films to acknowledge anything that happens on this show.

Cuburt

Who doesn't have a bootleg super soldier program? They hand those out like family dollar circulars. Hell Bronsonlee probably has one in his attic.
I've kind of liked how that has played out in the MCU.

In the comics, that thread's importance could kind of be drowned out by all the other super powered people, but in the MCU, there is over 60 years of time from the creation of Captain America to the creation of Iron Man. It makes sense that people keep trying to chase after a super soldier serum again. We know Howard wouldn't move on. It think it opens a lot of possibilities in that time gap.

Cuburt

It's really cute that anyone still expects the films to acknowledge anything that happens on this show.

Hey....weren't you the guy who said that Inhumans, their Kree origin, and Terrigenesis were completely "off-limits" for a TV show like AoS?

Yeah...I remember you....you are the guy that was completely wrong about the Inhumans ever being introduced on AoS before the film!

Yeah that was you! The guy that was totally wrong about Inhumans being mentioned by name in AoS and have a whole arc and characters dedicated into diving into that history!

Penguin

Hey....weren't you the guy who said that Inhumans, their Kree origin, and Terrigenesis were completely "off-limits" for a TV show like AoS?

Yeah...I remember you....you are the guy that was completely wrong about the Inhumans ever being introduced on AoS before the film!

Yeah that was you! The guy that was totally wrong about Inhumans being mentioned by name in AoS and have a whole arc and characters dedicated into diving into that history!

In his defense, it seems like it's because they really don't seem married to the idea of doing the movie.

Khaz

The cast themselves now acknowledge that there is an invisible divide between the films, Netflix, and ABC. The dream is dead.

Funnily enough, I was totally wrong about that because I started from the dual assumption that (a) introducing the concept of Inhumans on the show meant that AoS would have to start mattering to the broader MCU, and that (b) the show would never matter to the broader MCU.

Only one of those assumptions has proven incorrect.

That episode was tremendously good.

Love that we're going full magic this season so quickly. God damn.

It also sounds like we've got ourselves an honest to god Spirit of Vengeance on our hands here instead of Eli Morrow. I'm actually thrilled at the idea that the MCU's Robbie Reyes is a "true" Ghost Rider.

I'm actually of the mindset that the "him" the ghosts are talking about with the Darkhold is AoS' version of Eli Morrow.

Cuburt

Funnily enough, I was totally wrong about that because I started from the dual assumption that (a) introducing the concept of Inhumans on the show meant that AoS would have to start mattering to the broader MCU, and that (b) the show would never matter to the broader MCU.

Only one of those assumptions has proven incorrect.

Your assumption that they can't introduce the Inhumans because AoS is not important enough does not therefore mean since AoS introduced Inhumans, they must be more important in the MCU. Frankly, I'm not really sure why you'd make that assumption if you had any understanding of the logistics that prevent any crossovers between TV and film happening more often.

The bottomline is that the precedence has been set that a TV show can introduce concepts and characters years before someone is even hired to write a single word of a draft for a film. In otherwords, the writers and production team for AoS have an influence on how Inhumans and their lore will be portrayed in the MCU from here forward. AKA what happens on TV can effect what happens in the films.

Your assumption that they can't introduce the Inhumans because AoS is not important enough does not therefore mean since AoS introduced Inhumans, they must be more important in the MCU. Frankly, I'm not really sure why you'd make that assumption if you had any understanding of the logistics that prevent any crossovers between TV and film happening more often.

The bottomline is that the precedence has been set that a TV show can introduce concepts and characters years before someone is even hired to write a single word of a draft for a film. In otherwords, the writers and production team for AoS have an influence on how Inhumans and their lore will be portrayed in the MCU from here forward. AKA what happens on TV can effect what happens in the films.
Sure, it can, but it has yet to do so here.

If anything AoS has done with Inhumans (or any other character or plot point it's introduced, for that matter) is ever referenced in a film in more than a cursory fashion, if that, I'll eat my crow again. Until then, I see no reason at all to assume the bolded.

I mean, the screenwriters of Civil War said openly that they weren't following AoS and knew nothing about the Terrigen outbreak at the end of S2 at the time the film was in production, despite its obvious relevance to the premise of the film. That's all the proof I need that AoS is not part of Feige's mapped-out master plan at all.

Cuburt

If anything AoS has done with Inhumans (or any other character or plot point it's introduced, for that matter) is ever referenced in a film in more than a cursory fashion, if that, I'll eat my crow again. Until then, I see no reason at all to assume the bolded.

I mean, the screenwriters of Civil War said openly that they weren't following AoS and knew nothing about the Terrigen outbreak at the end of S2 at the time the film was in production, despite its obvious relevance to the premise of the film. That's all the proof I need that AoS is not part of Feige's mapped-out master plan at all.

Feige's master plan isn't as mapped out as I think you believe. Director's are given plenty of free reign to make their films as they see fit and we have yet to see any egregious contradictions of TV canon.

Presumably, the people in charge of double checking continuity keep TV in the loop in the same way TV is kept in the loop for film, even if it's only to the extent of them being able to read in-production scripts and notes about what they can and can't use.

Besides, the films are ALWAYS in production 1 or 2 years before the shows roll around to writing out their season for that reason alone, besides the two sides operating separately, TV will always be reactive to film more than the other way around.

Now that we are 3 seasons into AoS and there is probably a good map for the direction of the series, it's more possible that the TV universe is established enough to reference in the films, if they choose. If they want, they could plan out something to happen in a film that coincides with a TV arc since there is enough time for film to react to TV.

That doesn't mean it will definitely happen, in fact the odds are pretty small, but it's possible, so all this smugness about how they'll never acknowledge TV is obnoxious since we have no idea how Marvel as a whole will choose to handle things going forward since a connected universe is huge selling point for the MCU and it would only benefit them if they can logistically weave it together when applicable.

We haven't even seen a huge amount of crossover between shows, so of course there will always be more opportunity for crossover.

Penguin

Feige's master plan isn't as mapped out as I think you believe. Director's are given plenty of free reign to make their films as they see fit and we have yet to see any egregious contradictions of TV canon.

Presumably, the people in charge of double checking continuity keep TV in the loop in the same way TV is kept in the loop for film, even if it's only to the extent of them being able to read in-production scripts and notes about what they can and can't use.

Besides, the films are ALWAYS in production 1 or 2 years before the shows roll around to writing out their season for that reason alone, besides the two sides operating separately, TV will always be reactive to film more than the other way around.

Now that we are 3 seasons into AoS and there is probably a good map for the direction of the series, it's more possible that the TV universe is established enough to reference in the films, if they choose. If they want, they could plan out something to happen in a film that coincides with a TV arc since there is enough time for film to react to TV.

That doesn't mean it will definitely happen, in fact the odds are pretty small, but it's possible, so all this smugness about how they'll never acknowledge TV is obnoxious since we have no idea how Marvel as a whole will choose to handle things going forward since a connected universe is huge selling point for the MCU and it would only benefit them if they can logistically weave it together when applicable.

We haven't even seen a huge amount of crossover between shows, so of course there will always be more opportunity for crossover.

From the other side of the discussion, if AoS survives this current season, I'll seriously wonder about ABC execs.

jmood88

That ticked me off a bit. You'd think as a ghost she'd be immaterial, needing lots of power / concentration to act of the physical world like being seen, pushing objects and making them fall. Traditional ghost stuff who can't really do much in the physical world apart from being scary and driving people insane. Not sitting on a chair and doing clicky clicky on the computer.
How many ghosts do you know?

JSevere

Just saw that they're airing the first episode of Agents of SHIELD on MyNetworkTV. First time they're showing it on a channel other than ABC I think, did they sell the syndication rights already?

Welp, back under 1.0 in 18-49 with a .9. =\ Hope that L+3 boost is big like last week. No episode next week because of the VP debate.

Yeah, AoS is pretty much its own thing now just like the Netflix shows that also get ignored by the movies.

Just saw that they're airing the first episode of Agents of SHIELD on MyNetworkTV. First time they're showing it on a channel other than ABC I think, did they sell the syndication rights already?

Probably, I mean AoS is going to at the very least get to finish this season with a full order so it'll hit the magic number anyway.

I hope AoS survive until Infinity War, that'll be a perfect full season worth of story for what happens between 2 infinity war movies.

we're dealing with ghosts and magic this season, imagine a season of AoS where they go to space or something.

Fades

Banned
I hope AoS survive until Infinity War, that'll be a perfect full season worth of story for what happens between 2 infinity war movies.

we're dealing with ghosts and magic this season, imagine a season of AoS where they go to space or something.

Get ready for lots of alien planets that look suspiciously like the Pacific Northwest.

anaron

From the other side of the discussion, if AoS survives this current season, I'll seriously wonder about ABC execs.
Eh, they're doing pretty awful all around. They own AoS and more episodes will bring even more syndication. It's also still the only Marvel show that is designed and suitable for syndication.

Top Bottom