• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

I needed a Alan Menken and Glenn Slate written musical number for Aida's heel turn.
I miss Galavant. :(

It's no My Secret Identity, but it'll do.

I don't get to use this often but...

b06Dqka.gif

Ended way too soon... Just like Galavant. 😭

SRG01

What if... AIDA is actually building LMD-May -- hence why the chamber 'opened' -- and Real-May is still out there?

edit: Don't remind me about Galavant :( :(

Quick

Banned
Man, can't believe SHIELD is done until January 10.

Amazing first half of the season, and just makes me want a Ghost Rider solo series even more.

Kind of glad Daisy's back with the gang again, but it would've been cool if she was still running solo. I'd imagine that could wear thin though.

Really hoping the show doesn't do a retread of Ultron completely, though I'm pretty confident that they can at least run with something good for the second half.

Mack finally straight up with Yo-Yo. My man.

"The bill comes due. Always."

Was thinking this exactly when Fitz was talking about the natural order of things and Eli "creating" matter.

My nigga Mordo is crazy but he's not wrong.

Eli tried to finesse nature, nature was just like "nah."

People sure like making copies of May.

Thread title ideas for the 2nd half of season:
[OT} LMD: Love May's Droid
[OT} LMD: Love My Daisy
[OT} LMD: Lots More Daisy

Wingfan19

Unconfirmed Member
I will never get over how "HHRRGHH" Daisy is her SHIELD costume. I fucking love it. Same with Black Widow. Tactical suits on women are my thang man.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
That was a pretty good episode. What follows are my thoughts and impressions while watching Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. season 4 episode 8, "The Laws of Inferno Dynamics", in no particular order:

• Soooo... Set-up for more Ghost Rider eventually? How did Coulson find out about the Ghost Riders? Was it like when he somehow knew about the Darkhold?
  • Speaking of Ghost Rider, I really hope we get a series with him. MVP so far this season.
  • A.I.D.A. was very lively this episode. All nice and proper, though giving A.I.D.A. access to quantum manipulation/magic is not a great idea.
  • And then she goes all murder bot. I'm guessing her motivations are to protect the team, so she's gonna try replacing them one by one so they don't get hurt.
  • Kinda Secret Invasion-y, no?
  • Even magic can't really break the laws of thermodynamics. Established well in Doctor Strange, I think. There's always a price to pay.
  • Mack was kinda thick-headed this episode. Just do the thing, Mack!
  • It was kinda not great that Ghost Rider got somehow stopped just by being in a box.
  • Wait, what was Eli's plan? He was gonna blow the nuke and then... ???
  • That ending to Ghost Rider was really good, though. Him making sure his uncle burned, wherever they were sent to. Was that a pseudo penance-stare? Or just the Rider burning his soul?
  • Nice to see Patriot get some play. Nice bootleg Captain America suit.
  • Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D: Slingshot, huh? Neat. I mean, since it's a web series it's bound to be tiny, but still it's good to have more content... I wonder if this lines up with any plans they have for other ABC properties...
  • I liked the shot of Fitz-Simmons shooting the dude. That was cute.
  • "I wish Agent Koeing were here to see this." So do I, Simmons, so do I.

Nice closer. Can't wait to see what LMD holds for S.H.I.E.L.D.

BLACKLAC

Loved when Mace sat down like a sad little kid and Coulson had to play dad and give him a pep talk.

"We're not a team at all :( "

Guys. I still think Aida is not actually evil and this all just a big red herring. I think I figured it out.
Here's what I believe (spoiler-tagging just in case):
This is a callback to when May had the ghost madness thing. Remember that they had to kill her in order to bring her brain activity down to normal levels, but then there was that EMP power outage. They said that if they take too long with reviving her, May would suffer permanent brain damage. Turns out that she did. So Radcliffe decided to make a second LMD, one to replace May and cover up the whole thing of him and Simmons killing the real May. and her having suffered brain damage.
This also explains why Aida was working on that brain diagram in the ending of last week's episode once she'd absorbed the Darkhold - she's trying to figure out a way to repair the brain damage that May had taken. After all, her desire is to help and protect people.
Her entire arc also is about her learning about humanity, morality, as well as keeping secrets. They made a big deal about her lying about her status as an android in order to protect herself, as well as her creators. It's pretty safe to assume that in her mind, taking out the guy who was sent to clean out the lab was a big threat to the security of herself, Radcliffe, and the others, as well as potentially disrupting any progress she made on curing May, so she took him out of the equation.

That's what I think at least.

I'd go with something more common, she will try to replace every single member with LMDs but not as an enemy / trying to kill them, but to protect them from harm. If they're not in the field, they won't be taking any risks.

I don't think we can say AIDA has gone evil yet. We know almost nothing about Mace's assistant so perhaps he was up to some shady stuff we aren't aware of in Radcliffe's office, and she was just enacting her protection protocol.

Anyway, this season has been incredible so far. AIDA, Robbie and Mace are all excellent additions to the cast, and the story is firing on all cylinders. (Now just bring back Joey please.)

wildfire

Banned
interesting, we've basically got an evil wizard who thinks like a scientist

I've read Harry Potter fan fiction pull this off but I actually like Eli's portrayal a lot more. I get why he's so emotional and stubborn.

[*]Wait, what was Eli's plan? He was gonna blow the nuke and then... ???

Eli was going to attempt creating new life. The nuke was meant to break down the existing life and he would attempt to rearrange it afterwards.

I'd go with something more common, she will try to replace every single member with LMDs but not as an enemy / trying to kill them, but to protect them from harm. If they're not in the field, they won't be taking any risks.

Ah yes this sounds like the scenario Asimov and Ian Banks envisioned of benevolent AI though this would lean more towards Bank's vision than the former.

This was a great episode.

Why is that a problem?

You don't go half a season referencing Ultron and shit
While constantly trying to push that this is different.

To turn around and have a cliff-hanger be
"......its fucking ultron..."
and if that isn't enough make it the next main arc.

They better really come through because man that is some Once Upon a Time level writing.

BLACKLAC

Hmmmm. They were messing with the Darkhold to solve their problems. That would, and should, come back to bite them in the ass. Would be annoying if all that knowledge didn't change her in a "negative" way.

Regardless we don't know her motivation. Ultron was infatuated with god and extinction/evolution, I doubt they are going in that direction with AIDA.

Even if Aida is turning heel, beyond the "evil AI" part, there's nothing between the two that's really the same.

Ultron is all about his superiority and eradicating mankind. Aida still wants to protect life, but she'd be doing it in a twisted way.

This split between approaches reminds me a lot of the 2 different sub-species of Ur-Quan in Star Control 2. Ultron is the Kohr-Ah, wanting to destroy those he deems inferior, while Aida is the Kzer-Za, wanting to be a saviour and protector, but with questionable means.

I ended up going to bed early and just had to catch this ep via ABC app since my parents' DVR decided not to record last night. Good thing I literally just signed up for TV service on Monday or I would have had to wait until next week.

The app didn't show the Slingshot promo though. What is it?

Guys. I still think Aida is not actually evil and this all just a big red herring. I think I figured it out.
Here's what I believe (spoiler-tagging just in case):
This is a callback to when May had the ghost madness thing. Remember that they had to kill her in order to bring her brain activity down to normal levels, but then there was that EMP power outage. They said that if they take too long with reviving her, May would suffer permanent brain damage. Turns out that she did. So Radcliffe decided to make a second LMD, one to replace May and cover up the whole thing of him and Simmons killing the real May. and her having suffered brain damage.
This also explains why Aida was working on that brain diagram in the ending of last week's episode once she'd absorbed the Darkhold - she's trying to figure out a way to repair the brain damage that May had taken. After all, her desire is to help and protect people.
Her entire arc also is about her learning about humanity, morality, as well as keeping secrets. They made a big deal about her lying about her status as an android in order to protect herself, as well as her creators. It's pretty safe to assume that in her mind, taking out the guy who was sent to clean out the lab was a big threat to the security of herself, Radcliffe, and the others, as well as potentially disrupting any progress she made on curing May, so she took him out of the equation.

That's what I think at least.
This doesn't work out. Don't know why I'm spoiler tagging this, but
May woke up right on the table, with Simmons watching. There was no opportunity for a swap and even if that was the plan, the equipment to create a May LMD wouldn't have been functioning at the time.

Even if Aida is turning heel, beyond the "evil AI" part, there's nothing between the two that's really the same.

Ultron is all about his superiority and eradicating mankind. Aida still wants to protect life, but she'd be doing it in a twisted way.

This split between approaches reminds me a lot of the 2 different sub-species of Ur-Quan in Star Control 2. Ultron is the Kohr-Ah, wanting to destroy those he deems inferior, while Aida is the Kzer-Za, wanting to be a saviour and protector, but with questionable means.

I'd give her AIDA some slack if she just knock out Nathanson rather than kill him outright...

I ended up going to bed early and just had to catch this ep via ABC app since my parents' DVR decided not to record last night. Good thing I literally just signed up for TV service on Monday or I would have had to wait until next week.

The app didn't show the Slingshot promo though. What is it?

This doesn't work out. Don't know why I'm spoiler tagging this, but
May woke up right on the table, with Simmons watching. There was no opportunity for a swap and even if that was the plan, the equipment to create a May LMD wouldn't have been functioning at the time.

The switch definitely happened when May went to pick up Aida for the mission.

Christian

I feel like Radcliffe knows something is going on. He seemed uncomfortable when Mace said they were bringing all his research under HQ purview.

They better really come through because man that is some Once Upon a Time level writing.

I'm not sure you watched the same show as the rest of us.

I mean, Aida is fulfilling the point of LMDs. Replacing the actual agent to keep them from harm. No one ever explained what they'd do with the agent while they're being kept from harm.

Khaz

Guys, Aida killed that agent dude.

I feel like Radcliffe knows something is going on. He seemed uncomfortable when Mace said they were bringing all his research under HQ purview.

He doesn't like authority, and would rather do his own stuff at his own pace without any supervision.

I recall predicting that May was going to be replaced by a LMD earlier this season, but not in this manner.

I now think that they will end up killing AIDA and May somehow and placing the real May's consciousness into the new LMD May. SHIELD will keep it a secret but we will now have a super, ass-kicking robot May.

Top Bottom