• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Agents of S.H.I.E.L.D. S4 |OT| Ghost Riders in the Skye - Tuesdays 10/9c

Slayven

Wire hanger works just as good..

814753611_tp.jpg

butter-knife_2849238.jpg

It's the makeup plus lighting. Notice how almost all Agnes scenes are warm, while Aida's are cold. Only during the last scene they are in the same lighting, and Agnes looks like a husk while Aida looks well.

It's deliberate and pretty well made if I had to say.

Ok. Why was Agnes 1000x more attractive than Aida? I mean god damn. Seemed like two different people. Am I alone here?

Because they have entirely different personalities. Aida is completely utilitarian, while Agnes has emotions and is a person.

Behavior, body language, etc factor in alongside physical appearance.

Sadist

Agents of SHIELD is really enjoyable. Season 4 might be the best yet.

And daaang Agnes is a very pretty lady. Love the reaction of Ada. "I'm not... unique?"

LionPride

Banned
Ok. Why was Agnes 1000x more attractive than Aida? I mean god damn. Seemed like two different people. Am I alone here?

As Slayven and I mentioned earlier, the actor playing Aida/Agnes has a good ability to play a cold, dead, lifeless...thing that is slowly getting emotions sort of.

As Agnes she is a person, a living breathing person

She's the next step of being a changeling...like my boy Ward

Khaz

And daaang Agnes is a very pretty lady. Love the reaction of Ada. "I'm not... unique?"

Which felt weird as she knows about her previous model and her shortcomings.

btw I thought Radcliffe would introduce her to his
Aida's
latest breakthrough in synthetic brains and upload her into Aida, not plugging her into the Matrix. Opportunity wasted for more conflict with Aida and her will to live.

error4041

Is there any hope Robbie can show up again for the finale? I know they said they didn't have the budget for him to show up all season, but maybe they put aside the money for another half-minute more of Ghost Rider CGI.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So, I was a bit behind on these, so this one's gonna be quick. Here's my thoughts and impressions of the episodes in no particular order.

• It was painfully obvious that May was trapped in the simulation from the beginning.
  • Speaking of May, I hope she's not worse for the wear from the whole rewriting memories thing.
  • Also, what ever could she be struggling for at the end there? I'm guessing her idea of what happened after she saved the girl diverges to hard from reality, and her mind can't reconcile the real timeline with the one she's experiencing.
  • LMD!May is kinda sad in a way. In her conviction that what she's feeling is real. Really sad.
  • Speaking of, "May's a friggin' robot!"
  • The Koenig's were fantastic, loved the dynamics between them and the comedy from their eternal awkwardness and neuroses.
  • I love it when the show just verbally jabs at expected plot points. "Mind is a steel trap inside of a box" or "the original Koenig!". The writers obviously have fun.
  • Rest in peace Nadir, you were a psychopath.
  • Wait, why did they want Mace? Didn't they want Coulson?
  • Also, Mace's eagerness to help was kinda sad. Guy just wants to be part of the team, but he's an outsider in the end.
  • I love the music that plays whenever A.I.D.A. does something... off. She's definitely gonna turn on Radcliff...
  • Agnes gets to live forever! In a world she knows is fake...
  • Shockley is meant to be Nitro, right? Better keep him away from schools...
  • I love that they're still using those explosive lockpicks that Coulson used back in Iron Man.
  • Wait, how did Radcliff get the Terrigen? He said he obtained it while working with Hive, but did Hive have access to (non-Diviner) Terrigen crystals?
  • It's weird that the Patriot juice hadn't had adverse effects on Mace until the plot demanded...
  • JUST ICER THE EXPLODING MAN, DON'T PUSH HIM INTO THE CAPSULE ARGH IDIOTS
  • Gosh, Quake is the worst. She can't even keep explody-dude exploded for long before she starts breaking her bones. They nerfed her super hard this season.
  • Also, Skaisy, darling? Torturing prisoners is illegal.
  • Also, I liked the Ms. Splosion Man's regenerations. They looked neat.
  • “I’m not unique?”
  • Also, these guys have the Darkhold and they don't do anything with it! They could kill all the Vampires in the world! Do that! That's way more helpful than killing Inhumans!

Shaanyboi

Banned
Heeeeyyyy we've got another actor playing a character on Marvel TV and in the Marvel movies. Tom Virtue was the Roxxon CEO in Iron Man 3.

fhd013IMT_Ben_Kingsley_003@010013.jpg

Khaz

Nah, LMD May is a backup. Agnes went inside the machine.

Framework =/= LMD (as far as they've shown)

Agnes' memories were copied into the Framework shortly before her physical death, like May's were copied into the LMD. It shows that once they have a copy of the brain, they can put it in either technology. May was plugged directly into the Framework and tested the believability of the virtual world by unconscious learning. As they didn't simply used a brain copy of May, it would imply that you can't learn and adapt when your brain is simulated by the Framework (only acquire new memories). It's a possibility that instead you could do that when replicated into an LMD with the new synthetic brain Aida designed, but I don't think it has been shown yet.

jph139

I mean, the fact that Agnes - from what it seems - is braindead but her consciousness if still active in the simulation raises a lot of questions. Like, with May it seems to be some sort of induced dreams, running a program in her brain, something like that.

My best idea is that there's a computer, and there's a subject, and the computer clones the consciousness and runs it in sync with the subject's brain. So there's essentially two copies running simultaneously and sharing the same information back and forth, but since the computer is the one that actually contains the simulation, the subject's brain is no longer strictly "necessary" once the information is copied over.

Which is a problem - if the two were desynced somehow (say, May gets up, but they put her back in), the computer would continue to run its simulations with the programmed version of the brain. So then, when they resync, one would overwrite the other. I think we'd agree that the "real May" that got out before would take prominence there - thus, the consciousness in the program is merely a copy and thus not a true continuation of her personhood.

Thus, the new Computer Agnes CAN'T be the same person, just a cloned consciousness, no different than LMD May.

I sort of doubt that the writers were considering the philosophical implications of the whole thing though.

I mean, the fact that Agnes - from what it seems - is braindead but her consciousness if still active in the simulation raises a lot of questions. Like, with May it seems to be some sort of induced dreams, running a program in her brain, something like that.

My best idea is that there's a computer, and there's a subject, and the computer clones the consciousness and runs it in sync with the subject's brain. So there's essentially two copies running simultaneously and sharing the same information back and forth, but since the computer is the one that actually contains the simulation, the subject's brain is no longer strictly "necessary" once the information is copied over.

Which is a problem - if the two were desynced somehow (say, May gets up, but they put her back in), the computer would continue to run its simulations with the programmed version of the brain. So then, when they resync, one would overwrite the other. I think we'd agree that the "real May" that got out before would take prominence there - thus, the consciousness in the program is merely a copy and thus not a true continuation of her personhood.

Thus, the new Computer Agnes CAN'T be the same person, just a cloned consciousness, no different than LMD May.

I sort of doubt that the writers were considering the philosophical implications of the whole thing though.

I think that's essentially what it is. The consciousness of Agnes in the Framework is a copy, the same way LMayD has a copy of May's consciousness. But real May is directly jacked in to the Framework like the Matrix. No copy.

Khaz

Is it still a copy when the original has been destroyed and the end result is completely identical?

One could say they teleported her into the Framework.

Is it still a copy when the original has been destroyed and the end result is completely identical?

But it's essentially artificial. It's a backup copy of a real human being, with a real personality and memories transplanted into an artificially intelligent avatar in a digital environment. It's hard to call it identical when all it takes is to shut down the Framework and that person's remaining existence is gone forever.

The Darkhold has warped Radcliffe's mind into thinking he can save people by moving them into the Framework, when all he is doing is easing his own conscience about not being able to actually defy death and nature and save them.

Htown

STOP SHITTING ON MY MOTHER'S HEADSTONE
Agnes is totally the same person inside the framework.

I know this because otherwise the ending to that one Doctor Who episode is worse.

jph139

Ha ha, you say that as if teleportation isn't one of the biggest problems with the philosophy of identity... if you step into a box that destroys you atomically, then builds an identical copy of you a million miles away, is that copy you? Or did you die when you stepped into the box?

Khaz

But it's essentially artificial. It's a backup copy of a real human being, with a real personality and memories transplanted into an artificially intelligent avatar in a digital environment. It's hard to call it identical when all it takes is to shut down the Framework and that person's remaining existence is gone forever.

The Darkhold has warped Radcliffe's mind into thinking he can save people by moving them into the Framework, when all he is doing is easing his own conscience about not being able to actually defy death and nature and save them.

Well, it's not that difficult to shorten a real person's remaining existence either. A knife would suffice. Or a plastic bag.

Cafeman

Will Agnes get put into Aida One's head, and then we get Good Real-Person Aida vs A.I. / Jealous-I-want-to-be-the-only-one Bad Aida?

AMUSIX

Transferring consciousness into a digital form is not unheard of in the MCU.
ms0Lvqc.jpg

Agnes is absolutely still alive...sort of...maybe...

Top Bottom