• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake II |OT| I'm blinded by the lights.........

Luipadre

Double dip on PS5….jesus the game is blurry at 60 and at 30 it’s a slideshow. 😂😂😂

when the game is 30 and not dropping frames its not a slideshow, its a smooth 30 fps, ofc switching from 60 to 30 feels like a slideshow at first, thats always the case.

Anyway, just finished chapter 2, this will be my goty no doubt and i played a fuckton of amazing games this year. This just hits different

Draugoth

Gold Member
Seems that the Pre Order Bonus is save tied like in Control, which means that you can unlock them on PC if you find the correct Hex Codes and edit the game file.

Anybody with experience on that here?

Interested in getting it at $50 on GMG but i missed the date yesterday.

Last edited:

OverHeat

« generous god »
when the game is 30 and not dropping frames its not a slideshow, its a smooth 30 fps, ofc switching from 60 to 30 feels like a slideshow at first, thats always the case.

Anyway, just finished chapter 2, this will be my goty no doubt and i played a fuckton of amazing games this year. This just hits different
It’s a slideshow because of the framerate that I’m playing on PC I’m spoiled

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I just started the game, but it's immediately got me hooked. Looks great and runs great at max settings on my 4090 and 7800X3D....yeah I know not exactly a fair comparison. But I get around 90 - 120 fps on my OLED at DLSS 3.5 quality with FG. Not a stuttering mess that Jedi Survivor STILL is.

OverHeat

« generous god »
I just started the game, but it's immediately got me hooked. Looks great and runs great at max settings on my 4090 and 7800X3D....yeah I know not exactly a fair comparison. But I get around 90 - 120 fps on my OLED at DLSS 3.5 quality with FG. Not a stuttering mess that Jedi Survivor STILL is.
It’s fair you paid for the best you get the best.

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
It’s fair you paid for the best you get the best.
yes, but I do feel bad saying a game runs great when I have a system that is not remotely close to representative of the average PC gamer. I need to test it on my 3060 laptop and see if I can run it at 60 fps with low settings and no RT.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
Stayed up until 2:30am playing this and didn't want to stop. It's so amazing! I finished Chapter 2 and played a little of the between stuff before Ch. 3 starts.

Question for those that completed 2, for an optional section before 3 starts. I'll spoiler tag it but I'm going to reveal next to nothing about the plot, just a location and optional task:

You're in the recently flooded area, and are given an optional thing to explore it. I walk ALL over the are, must have spent 20 minutes. Found a deer carcass that I was sure was what I was looking for, but no. Found a Cult cache, too, but nowhere in that area could I find some sort of thing to click on to complete the task. Did anyone find this, please tell me what it was?

OverHeat

« generous god »
yes, but I do feel bad saying a game runs great when I have a system that is not remotely close to representative of the average PC gamer. I need to test it on my 3060 laptop and see if I can run it at 60 fps with low settings and no RT.
Will test it on my 3090 rig to see if it perform well this afternoon compared to my 4090

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
QqMjlks.jpg
LiX0A2r.jpg
XdbkrkK.jpg
Lv2wGLk.jpg

The gate is locked by the Federal Bureau of Control. They just dump that connection in your face within the first ten minutes lol

So this is how it’s gonna be huh Sam 😂

MCplayer

Only about an hour in on PS5, first impressions:

- some weird texture pop-in, couple of sound cuts
- wish you could adjust contrast in HDR settings, bit of washed out look
- 60 FPS is very smooth, don't understand anyone playing at 30 fps when given the choice, movement is choppy as fuck in comparison and therefore makes the game *uglier*
- mind palace is a very cool concept (and visuals are quite impressive here)
- fantastic DualSense implementation 🙏🏻
- bizarre opening that's right up my alley
- *very* slow paced start
- Sam Lake is such a shit voice actor lol

Will have a good 3 hours with it tonight, looking forward to digging in and seeing how the combat holds up.
The game has filmic grade, greyish shadows typical movie look.
At 60 resolution looks horrible.
The casey voice is not sams voice, its the voice of an actual movie actor dont remember the name.

M1chl

Currently Gif and Meme Champion
The game has filmic grade, greyish shadows typical movie look.
At 60 resolution looks horrible.
The casey voice is not sams voice, its the voice of an actual movie actor dont remember the name.
That's the Max Payne actor btw, that Sam Lake voice

Luipadre

Also this is a game where you dont want to turn off film grain no matter how much you hate it in other games. Its done really well

Last edited:

Forsythia

Stayed up until 2:30am playing this and didn't want to stop. It's so amazing! I finished Chapter 2 and played a little of the between stuff before Ch. 3 starts.

Question for those that completed 2, for an optional section before 3 starts. I'll spoiler tag it but I'm going to reveal next to nothing about the plot, just a location and optional task:

You're in the recently flooded area, and are given an optional thing to explore it. I walk ALL over the are, must have spent 20 minutes. Found a deer carcass that I was sure was what I was looking for, but no. Found a Cult cache, too, but nowhere in that area could I find some sort of thing to click on to complete the task. Did anyone find this, please tell me what it was?
For me it ticked of when I left the area. No idea if I found everything.

Dev1lXYZ

This might give me something to play while I work through Lord of the Fallen. Spider-Man 2 didn’t do the trick.

Flabagast

How is exploration in this ? Is there a lot of things off the beaten path, additionnal narrative context, etc?

How are puzzles ? is it classic Resident Evil stuff ? I hope there is a least a little bit of complexity in them

kizito

The game runs really, really, really well on my setup, people calling it unoptimized before launch were really crazy :

- RTX 4080
- i7 10700KF
- 32 Gb DDR4
- NVME 980 Pro

4K everything maxed with Path Tracing, DLSS Balanced and Frame Generation on, between 60 and 90 fps . Closer to 90 in urban settings, closer to 60 in wood setting. It's all smoothed out by G-Sync. The quality of the graphics displayed is unbelievable for the performance we get. I didn't expect I would play path-traced games so soon in my lifetime. It is very impressive to see how all the Nvidia set of techs work together to render this possible. Framegen to smooth the output => Reflex to compensate the input lag. Path Tracing for lighting ? Ray Reconstruction for improving performance and quality. Swings of framerate between more and less demanding areas ? G-Sync keeps it unnoticeable.
Seriously impressed by what is showcased here, Remedy pushed computer visuals standards once again.

PSA : Motion Blur causes some artifacting, I left it on cause I like Motion Blur, but if you have some artifacting when moving quickly the camera, FrameGen might not be the culprit, check Motion Blur rather.

Luipadre

That’s not what you said here. If you’re playing it on PS5 on a 120Hz OLED, why bring up that you have a 240Hz to brag about liking 30 fps.

Because im playing games on PC too with 120+ fps and despite that, i dont have problems with playing 30 on PS5

Last edited:
The game looks amazing (playing on PS5 quality mode), but I'm just not feeling it. It's very, veryyyyyy slooooowww paced. Played for like 3 hours now and I think I spent more time in the mind palace thing and watching cutscenes than actually playing it. I'm bored as fuck right now.

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
Amazing start. Looks nuts on pc maxed out.

So much more horrifying than the original. Love the systems and the vibe of the game.

I hope it holds out because this could be a classic for me.

Top Bottom