• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

ElTopo

Banned
Minor mid game spoilers below:

I finally finished
Medical. That was by far the hardest part of the game thus far. Ripley now has a flamethrower, but I'm not sure if it actually has been that much of an assistance thus far. I've torched the alien a few times, yet he only leaves for a bit and then returns, angrier than ever.

First time you torch it it runs away. Second time and thereon it takes about three or even four shots to scare it away. Typically when you do, you have a little window where it won't show up (I want to say it lasts roughly 2-3 minutes unless you're near a scripted sequence). It's a good idea to walk for a bit and get the objective you have done ASAP then when the motion detector comes to life it's time to crouch.

I use flashbangs/smokebombs on the Alien to distract. Like explosive noisemakers when I don't have any actual noisemakers. Just get that asshole to go investigate some corner while I peace out the opposite direction.

For direct, defensive situations where he is on your ass, it seems anything fire related is your only option.

I stopped the xenomorph from chasing me down by throwing a molotov in front of it in a panic. This still resulted in a hilariously inept death on my part, because I was walking backwards and wound up stuck between a wall on my left, a crate to my back, and another human I didn't see who ran up to my right and started firing at the monster. I could only walk forwards into the flames/Alien. Obviously, when the fire blew out, we were both dead as shit.

I haven't played the DLC yet, but I am well beyond the half-way point in the normal game on Hard and it hasn't been a difficult experience...yet(?).

Anything work well on androids?

Also, how do you use items on the alien... Wouldn't you have to see it to realize to want to distarct it to begin with.... And then wouldnt it be too late already?

Also, how do you use items on the alien... Wouldn't you have to see it to realize to want to distarct it to begin with.... And then wouldnt it be too late already?
You're not dead if you see the alien. Far from it. You're only dead when it screeches and charges for you, and only then if you don't have fire at your disposal. If it's not running to eat you, you can do all sorts of things to distract it.

Cudder

Minor mid game spoilers below:

I finally finished
Medical. That was by far the hardest part of the game thus far. Ripley now has a flamethrower, but I'm not sure if it actually has been that much of an assistance thus far. I've torched the alien a few times, yet he only leaves for a bit and then returns, angrier than ever.
Medical and the part where you get the flamethrower are pretty far apart.

Bumhead

Banned
I've just finished Chapter 12.

Was nice to feel "liberated" from the threat of the Alien for a couple of chapters, although the Working Joe's absolutely terrify me and after dealing with these for a while I almost want the Alien back. Almost.

sosage

Everyone says
EMP explosive + weapon of choice
to finish them off. I didn't locate the
EMP blueprint
, so I have to take them down the hardway.
Sneak up and cattle prod the back of their head, then whale on them with the wrench

I shot one lone droid down with the revolver
in a section where it was the only creature in the level, but it took 10 shots to the head, 9 of those spent shooting/reloading nervously while walking backwards
. Shooting guns in the majority of the scenarios in this game is just a horrible, horrible idea.

Edit: Actually,
killing humans/droids in this game feels like a very dangerous thing to do. Not just because you may lose the fight, but other dangerous ass things may hear you.

Salz01

Just finished this last night. I'm still debating how I feel about the overall experience.

On the plus side:
Atmosphere
Graphics
Alien design
Sound
Tools / weapons
Overall cat and mouse gameplay

On the down side:
Plot holes the size of the sun
Doesn't explain certain key points clearly.
If I have to go back and start one more friggen generator....
Pisses me off that I'm in a room with guards , other people and the alien hones in on me
every single time.
Too much padding made the game way to long.
Can't go back and play certain scenarios, no chapter select.
That ending. Really shitty. No pay off.

I'm interested in a sequel but only if they fix some things. But otherwise best Alien game I ever played.

I've just finished Chapter 12.

Was nice to feel "liberated" from the threat of the Alien for a couple of chapters, although the Working Joe's absolutely terrify me and after dealing with these for a while I almost want the Alien back. Almost.
You don't really want that. You really really don't.

^ I'm not finding the game too long at all. It's always throwing you curveballs and keeping it fresh. And I'm pretty sure there is a mission select when you go to load a game. The option at the bottom of that menu? ^

Lettuce

Also I too fucking hated the face huggers, they were damn near invisible unless you were actively looking for them, trying to use your motion scanner to track them down always felt futile because, well for one aliens are running around the vents and the face huggers are so small so it feels like a waste of time trying to look for them with the scanner because you'll just assume they're aliens in the vents, secondly they're a very BS 1 hit KO. You should at least be given a tiny QTE to try to catch them or swat them away as they leap on you.

I have literally no issue's with killing the Face Huggers, they give out a little squeal when there near so as soon as i hear that i backed up and always killed them. I wont lie 1 or 2 did catch me off guard but i didnt have any difficulty with them

Linconan

Man, i really got to stop watching people play their game on youtube and Psn Streaming.
*pulls hair out*
Frustrates the fuck out of me seeing how people play, then bitch about like it's the games fault.

uurrrrrgh...

/rant

shiba5

Man, i really got to stop watching people play their game on youtube and Psn Streaming.
*pulls hair out*
Frustrates the fuck out of me seeing how people play, then bitch about like it's the games fault.

uurrrrrgh...

/rant

I know. I catch myself urging them to, "Go go go GO NOW!" And then they get killed when they hesitate instead. LOL

Speaking of creepy parts, in Mission 12:
The Working Joe showroom with the "floor models". I just knew they were going to come to life, and I was right. Then I set them all on fire and they tried to hug me.

TentPole

Just finished this last night. I'm still debating how I feel about the overall experience.

On the plus side:
Atmosphere
Graphics
Alien design
Sound
Tools / weapons
Overall cat and mouse gameplay

On the down side:
Plot holes the size of the sun
Doesn't explain certain key points clearly.
If I have to go back and start one more friggen generator....
Pisses me off that I'm in a room with guards , other people and the alien hones in on me
every single time.
Too much padding made the game way to long.
Can't go back and play certain scenarios, no chapter select.
That ending. Really shitty. No pay off.

I'm interested in a sequel but only if they fix some things. But otherwise best Alien game I ever played.

There is a chapter select under "load game" FYI.

Linconan

Speaking of creepy parts, in Mission 12:
The Working Joe showroom with the "floor models". I just knew they were going to come to life, and I was right. Then I set them all on fire and they tried to hug me.
heheh.

i had the Iseewhatyoudidthere.gif look happening for that bit,. LOL

I've died a lot and it took me about seven hours to hit the eighth mission, if that gives you any reference. I'm also reading everything and thoroughly scouring the areas for items. Are you spending a shitload of time hiding?

Yes, spending a lot of time exploring, reading as much as I'm able to. I spent too much time crouching early on before you really encounter any enemies as well. About 45 mins - 1 hour of my time was spent trying to figure out the hacking tool room. That one still stings.

TJP

I love the comments the Working Joes make when the Alien walks into the room, it's something like "what species are you?". First time I heard it, I couldn't help but laugh.

Was very happy with the early/mid chapter I just completed where
you get to explore the derelict.

One of the best moments of the year for me. CA did a great job with it.

ElTopo

Banned
Spoilers.

I feel like the Derelict chapter was a little disappointing. It's great to see it in an FPS with AAA quality and all that. But I think it was a giant missed opportunity by not showing the Alien that came out of the Space Jockey. Even if it was fossilized it still would have been interesting to see and it would have been something brand new on top of that.

the working joes in the hasmat suits:
-a pipe bomb hurts them real good, and causes them to stumble backwards. then you follow up with the wrench, 2 - 3 swings will finish them off
-bolt gun head shot will do it in 1

regular working joes:
-stun baton them then finish with the wrench
-if their eyes are white just leave them, they wont attack you

ElTopo

Banned
the working joes in the hasmat suits:
-a pipe bomb hurts them real good, and causes them to stumble backwards. then you follow up with the wrench, 2 - 3 swings will finish them off
-bolt gun head shot will do it in 1

Dang. I never tried that. I tried to use a Stun Gun on one of them but he easily deflected my attempt.

After playing this, I am having a tough time getting into the evil within. I mean... just being in third person is such a huge turn off. And when I'm hiding in the lockers I can't even move around...

I'll admit I am only in chapter 2 of evil within, but Alien Isolation may have spoiled it. But finished Alien Isolation today and am hungry for more survival horror.

Spoilers.

I feel like the Derelict chapter was a little disappointing. It's great to see it in an FPS with AAA quality and all that. But I think it was a giant missed opportunity by not showing the Alien that came out of the Space Jockey. Even if it was fossilized it still would have been interesting to see and it would have been something brand new on top of that.

This is not how spoilers work.
You need to contextualize what are you hiding

Man, I'm either really bad at this game or the Alien is just too good. Been stuck on that mission in Medical where you first encounter the Alien for about an hour now and can't seem to get past him, he's always cockblocking me and his general wandering is making it tough to proceed down a hallway with no rooms to hide in.

Jesb

So I'm stuck and not sure what I can do to avoid the alien. I'm at the part where your looking for morley's office. I find his office and access the terminal with a key code but still need to find the card, but an alarm goes off and the alien is always in the surrounding rooms. Seems like there isn't anywhere I can go, the alien keeps finding me.

Superflat

Alright. I haven't posted anything in this thread since I started playing and it's been a few hours so I'm gonna post some early game impressions. I'm currently on mission/chapter 7.

I've been reading some tips from the thread and I've taken them to heart so I actually got through everything without dying more than a handful of times. I've been playing it completely stealthy. I think i'm making it harder on myself because I haven't used a single goddamn item and I have 3 of almost every item they let me craft (aside from the ones that require 2 or more of the same component to craft). Topped off on flares, noise makers, gas bombs, and a couple other things. If I should be using em more or saving em, let me know! It hasn't really been a overly difficult game by not using them, just more tense (and I am playing on NORMAL).

The biggest thing I took away from the thread was to not wait around too long waiting for the Alien to go away. I just wait for the opportune moment and book it in the opposite direction (without running of course). The infamous medical bay section was incredibly stressful, but I don't think I stuck around that section for much time at all. It's one part intuition and one part hope/luck i guess. I felt pretty good getting the trophy for not dying in chapter 5!

Now I'm in chapter seven and there are
a few humans standing right in the way. I've been sneaking around the area and picked up a bunch of stuff in the vent but haven't found the area I'm supposed to get to yet.

So I just rounded back to the last save point and calling it a day. Played a lot of Alien today, and it's fantastic so far.

Also just wanted to mention how great the game looks. The flickering aliasing it certainly distracting at times, and the slight stuttering whenever I enter a new area is even more distracting, but the lighting and atmosphere is phenomenal. Another nitpick is how quickly it dispenses new information to you and in a way that's not entirely clear. If there was a manual explaining that stuff I wouldn't mind at all, but I largely had to guess my way across some mechanics and menus like crafting, bringing up different items, routing power, etc.

Spoilers.

I dunno man, we did get to
Walk to it, see it, walk through the vagina doors and through hallways we didn't get to see in the movie that look super fucking gross, see the actual beacon that the Derelict uses to transmit its warning into space that was never shut off, and you get to shut it down and then go down into the actual egg pit. I mean it would've been cool to see what came out of the Jockey, their is art of it storyboarded out where they see a huge Alien fossilized into the side of a huge rock. Too bad they didn't shoot the scene or make the assets.

Ive ignored this game after what happened to the other Alien game, and then ignored it some more with IGN and Gamespot's reviews.

Surprised to see this at 8.0 MC

Considering that many find Evil Within to not be scary, I have become curious...apologies if this is old:

-It's super scary, yeah?
-What is up with the polarizing reviews? First time I've seen big sites like IGN and GS vote the opposite way of most others

Also, I keep hearing about the length of the game. How long is it? Can I get a general consensus as to whether you guys enjoyed it or not?

So does it attract the alien any time you walk instead of crawl, or does that only matter when you're very close to him?

Also can you not throw flares? (PS4 version)

LowParry

-It's super scary, yeah?
-What is up with the polarizing reviews? First time I've seen big sites like IGN and GS vote the opposite way of most others

Also, I keep hearing about the length of the game. How long is it? Can I get a general consensus as to whether you guys enjoyed it or not?

Scary? This is like...I dunno. A whole different level of intense. It's extremely well done with the atmosphere, the music, everything. The Alien AI is a beast and it will destroy you if you're not careful.

As for IGN and GS. Laugh at them. Apparently they didn't get a check in the mail.

I've heard it takes about 15 hours? Plus you have challenges to play around with and if you're really into the game, new DLC on the horizon.

Honestly? Best Alien game ever made hands down.

This is the first game I booted on my new rig, and god damn was it a good choice. Playing this shit maxed at 4k is such a good way to start things off, and this shit is legit creepy.

Kudos so far to Creative Assembly for doing something completely different from the Total War franchise and so far...getting it really really right.

Finished the Last Survivor DLC on Hard without dying or pulling up the map. Just wanted to record the gameplay and watch it over in cinematic fashion.

Found out that the flamethrower can initiate a knockdown rather than a kill as long as the flame burst is a split-second before he hits you. He was right behind me when I turned and I pressed the flame trigger for about half a second and was knocked to the ground. Same thing happened after the self-destruct sequence.

I played both DLC on Hard and the campaign on Medium and didn't notice much difference. He will still hover in certain areas and not leave the room for a long time, gets angry when you stand and crouch, and sniffs out your tracks at all times. Almost ruined my death-free campaign after I torched it then was walking down a hallway and nearly missed the saliva dripping from the ceiling. Clever girl.

Top Bottom