• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

tioslash

Oh jesus, I see 18 missions and I've only just finished the 4th one? Damn.

I'm just at where the alien is now becoming a legit roaming threat and its..........horrifying. At least with Amnesia, the monster appearances were somewhat scripted, but this just seems like there's very little predictability and you just have to grow some balls and make yourself get on with things. Which is really difficult for me. I'm struggling to leave the comfort of my locker! lol

I hear you. Just finished the third mission and I´m hoping for those save stations to show up every couple of meters. lol The fact that everytime you enter a locker Amanda does such a goddamn loud sound is not helping either.

Bumhead

Banned
Just finished mission 10.

Abnormally long compared to the other sections up to this point. Felt like it could have been 3 different chapters. But oh man the pay off at the end.. this game just keeps on delivering. Also, the Xeno was really on one the whole way through the chapter. He was pissed alright.

Also, put me down for another fan of the save system. Admittedly it's a rather antiquated way of handling saves compared to many modern games, but here (and I'd argue in any good horror game) it works. It makes you think about when you're saving and how far you push on next, and it makes you think twice before taking stupid risks. I can't imagine the tension in this would be anywhere near as high if your only punishment for death was to be re-spawned 5 seconds walk away in the next corridor. The sense of relief when you find a save terminal takes me right back to some of the classic survival horror games of old.

sosage

He's really not too hard to avoid, just listen to his movements in the rafters. He's not simply respawning if you can trace his every movement just via audio ques, I'm even playing on hard. Once you get used to his pattern he's very predictable. When you're close to entering another area he'll usually move ahead of you and wait for you. When he's in the vents he can travel at running speed so he can get there very pretty damn fast.

The motion tracker isn't as reliable as the audio ques, just keep your volume cranked and stay crouched and you'll be sneaking past him like Solid Snake in no time.

An Alien: Isolation strategy guide should contain a one page chapter, which repeats this one sentence a couple hundred times,

WEAR HEADPHONES FOR FUCK'S SAKE

Maybe with a pro tip: MAKE SURE THEY AREN'T ON BACKWARDS

Just finished an hour ago. I join in the chorus of the save system praise, it was well designed, having them spaced well depending on the area. No idea who could possibly complain about a lack of save points, because they were there every 20 feet, lol. That may sound like only a little, but that's a good 10-30 minutes of gameplay in this game.

In regards to some people thinking the game was dragging a bit near the end, I only really noticed it in I believe mission 17,
where you had to go back and restart the generator.
That was kinda obvious padding and was made all the worse for happening in probably the worst designed area in the game. Overall, I definitely give this game GOTY, and possibly the award of best crafted survival horror I've ever played.

Chabbles

I think its safe to say AI is up there when it comes to best games based on movies we've gotten so far, it might even be the best. The quality in this is amazing.
Creative assembly need to make a Terminator game. This sort of hide and seek stealth would even work with a Halloween game with Myers chasing you around.

Im enjoying these death animations
alien_attack__by_chabbles-d82vaey.gif

Just finished this. Man, I loved it so much. The
twist in chapter 14, finding out that there are multiple aliens
was a really cool idea and totally caught me off guard. The fear from the alien went away after a few hours, but the tension never did. Only one part for me dragged:
the mission where the Working Joes went haywire and started hunting everyone down.
Also, I too loved the save system.

Can't recommend this game enough. Brilliant.

valkyre

Ok without any spoilers please guys:

I am just on the start of Chapter 15. I am playing on Hard difficulty. Is there a lot of distance to go to the end of the game?

I am asking because I only have 2 days with limited time before I have to leave for a trip that will last a week and I really dont want to leave the game on a cliffhanger note. So are the final 4 chapters big?

Again pls no spoilers :)

Mohonky

An Alien: Isolation strategy guide should contain a one page chapter, which repeats this one sentence a couple hundred times,

WEAR HEADPHONES FOR FUCK'S SAKE

Maybe with a pro tip: MAKE SURE THEY AREN'T ON BACKWARDS

Why would I do that when i have a room shaking home theatre? Hell I even have my tactile transducer (like a buttkicker but Earthquake brand) hooked up so i can feel the bastard running round in the vents.....

I'm legit confused by this game. I don't really "get" how to play it properly yet, and I've barely even started. Early 'things resembling spoilers':

Am I supposed to kill other people on the space station? I want to avoid killing other humans but they're not making it easy, I've been stuck looking for a data cell for this damn thing and I can't work out where to go because these pricks kill me before I can explore anything in the main room. I ran downstairs to avoid them because I thought it might be "back" in an area I already went to, and saved, so now they're in the main room most of the time, at least 1 of them, and it's real hard to sneak anywhere.

Should I just kill them? Are there any consequences?

Also, regarding the power system switching gameplay mechanic, how does it work?
Is each fuse box thing independent do they coordinate in some way? What the fuck do speaker/ventilation system do? Some gassy fog type stuff comes out when I hit power up ventilation but I don't know what the fuck it does. It doesn't seem to be poisonous or anything.

ekim

I'm legit confused by this game. I don't really "get" how to play it properly yet, and I've barely even started. Early 'things resembling spoilers':

Am I supposed to kill other people on the space station? I want to avoid killing other humans but they're not making it easy, I've been stuck looking for a data cell for this damn thing and I can't work out where to go because these pricks kill me before I can explore anything in the main room. I ran downstairs to avoid them because I thought it might be "back" in an area I already went to, and saved, so now they're in the main room most of the time, at least 1 of them, and it's real hard to sneak anywhere.

Should I just kill them? Are there any consequences?

You don't need to kill them. For the data cell, when the woman who first spots you (that's scripted) rushes away, get up the stairs on the right IIRC and wait there until they are going downstairs. You now can crouch on the upper level around the main room to the data cell room where you might encounter one of these guys but can hide under a table until he is gone.

On how to play the game: I think that's one of the main strengths of the game - just play it as if you are REALLY on that space station. Within it's gameplay corset you have absolute freedom imho.

Also, regarding the power system switching gameplay mechanic, how does it work?

At the beginning they are not really useful but you can for example choose to open closed doors, disable the ventilation which causes fog that makes you harder to spot or enable to speaker system to distract your enemies. Turning off camera systems will reduce alarms etc... the catch is, that you can only use few of them at the same time. So it's up to you to choose how to use them

valkyre

Im enjoying these death animations
alien_attack__by_chabbles-d82vaey.gif

Ι've been watching this gif so many times and what seems outstanding to me is not the animation, or the fact that the alien's head reflects the environment's lighting, but the fact, that upon closer look to its head, you can actually see its bones (it looks like its head has a small spine in it) when it presses its head down, and then disappear as it raises its head...

Its mindblowing as a detail, it really makes it look alive. Granted it is something that you wont really notice it while you play, but seeing this here, really impressed me...

Bumhead

Banned
Agreed. I think one of the games strengths is that there is a fair amount of logic, within reason, to how you play it.

If you need to hide in vents or under tables, do it. If you need to hide in lockers, do it. Be careful and mindful of your surroundings at all times. Listen to the audio cues. Don't make silly mistakes or push your luck. DON'T RUN.

Yeah my main problem now is just that because I backtracked to a save point, I now have to enter a room of enemies from the worst possible entry point and I literally have no other choice. Thus far I've managed to make it upstairs once without dying, but they did see me anyway and waited outside the vent I crawled into to just kill me.

Guess I'll just have to keep trying until I can somehow get past this one spot because this encounter cannot possibly have been designed taking this possibility into account.

EatChildren

Currently polling second in Australia's federal election (first in the Gold Coast), this feral may one day be your Bogan King.
Ι've been watching this gif so many times and what seems outstanding to me is not the animation, or the fact that the alien's head reflects the environment's lighting, but the fact, that upon closer look to its head, you can actually see its bones (it looks like its head has a small spine in it) when it presses its head down, and then disappear as it raises its head...

They used Giger's design from the first film over the redesign for Cameron. You can see the skull underneath.

Spaghetti

Yeah my main problem now is just that because I backtracked to a save point, I now have to enter a room of enemies from the worst possible entry point and I literally have no other choice. Thus far I've managed to make it upstairs once without dying, but they did see me anyway and waited outside the vent I crawled into to just kill me.

Guess I'll just have to keep trying until I can somehow get past this one spot because this encounter cannot possibly have been designed taking this possibility into account.
i had the same problem, so i just reverted to the mission save. if i remember right it's not a real long way to go before you're back in the room where you get the security tuner.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Well I finished it.

I don't really know if I agree with the complaint that the game drags towards the end, but I definitely felt like poor ripley just wasn't getting a break.The intensity ramps up to 200% at the end. Though I'm not sure if the finale was what I was hoping for but man does it feel peaceful just sitting back in my chair and realizing that I am done.

Game is tense as hell.

Honestly I kind of fucking loved the whole game, and it's probably up there as one of my top horror games of all time. I don't agree with nearly any of the complaints the game received. Except for the pacing issues a few reviewers spoke of. Honestly my biggest gripe with the game was that (i guess I'll spoiler this since it deals with weapons)
when you reach the beginning of the finale you're basically swimming in ammo for a bunch of shit you don't need and can't use. I was still being given SHOTGUN ammo during the finale, where it has 0% use because the flamethrower is the only thing that will save your ass. I guess to kill headcrabs but even still. Honestly the weapons are the area where I feel like I can complain the most about. The rubber suit working joes just will not die from anything other than the bolt gun in any reasonable amount of time or ammo use. You always have enough bolt gun rounds so why dump your 50 revolver rounds into him? As for the shotgun,

I feel like the ammo was too sparse considering how relatively weak it was. It didn't exactly kill guards faster, It only really killed working joes faster but by that point you also had the stun baton to basically murder them with. I think my biggest issue is that some options are just WAYYY more practical than others to the point that you start having insane surpluses of ammo and other supplies. I think during the whole game I only threw 2 pipe bombs and 1 flash bang, maybe fired less than 10 shotgun rounds, and less than 8 bolt gun rounds. On top of that I never once used a smoke grenade. In fact I always felt like I had more than enough of everything EXCEPT flamethrower ammo, that shit was way too important and way too easy to screw yourself with.

Seanspeed

Banned

I did the same thing(backtracked and had to come back through that way).

I had to kill the girl with my jack wrench thing, hid behind a barrier and waited for this one guy to come and investigate and bashed him, too. Then I could backtrack again, save, and sneak around a bit better.

Wasn't elegant, but fuck it.

valkyre

Some friends are going to come over to watch the game and I am thinking of showing it to them from the start, do I have to start as a different user in order not to lose my save progress?

Chabbles

I played through that area afew times. It can be done completely stealth, without been seen if you time it right. Another time i killed one with the wrench to make it easier. Either way when you enter that area again from where you originally come from, you'll need to go to the second floor and behind you to the right to move on to the next area.

Edit, opps. you'v passed it, nvm.

ViviOggi

I just restarted from mission save. Got past it now, hopefully smooth sailing from here.
I knew this was about chapter 3 without reading your previous post. It's by far the worst designed encounter in the game and has given countless amounts of GAFfers trouble. It's only upwards from here.

Some friends are going to come over to watch the game and I am thinking of showing it to them from the start, do I have to start as a different user in order not to lose my save progress?

Yes, don't use the same account or your savegame will be lost foravar in da space

I knew this was about chapter 3 without reading your previous post. It's by far the worst designed encounter in the game and has given countless amounts of GAFfers trouble. It's only upwards from here.

The worst part of the game after the first cut-scene

In regards to some people thinking the game was dragging a bit near the end, I only really noticed it in I believe mission 17,
where you had to go back and restart the generator.
That was kinda obvious padding and was made all the worse for happening in probably the worst designed area in the game.
This was literally my favorite area in the entire game.

Melchiah

Yeah, I got annoyed by it last night, and decided to call it quits. I'll try it again tonight. This time I'll go back and save just before I enter the area.

Drewfonse

This moronic, but how do you unequip items in the console versions? I just started playing, and I crafted a health pack, but now I'm running around with it in my hand with the "press square to use" prompt always on the screen. I wasted a flare this way, too.

I feel like an infant.

strafer

Man, The Evil Within is like a disney game compared to Alien.

Im sorry but I prefer this game.

Different sure but survival horror nonetheless.

GAMEPROFF

Banned
This moronic, but how do you unequip items in the console versions? I just started playing, and I crafted a health pack, but now I'm running around with it in my hand with the "press square to use" prompt always on the screen. I wasted a flare this way, too.

I feel like an infant.

Circle, then push the stick in the direction of which item you wanna select

I feel like an infant.

You have to wait to find the gun to walk bare hands

Kelas

The Beastie Boys are the first hip hop group in years to have something to say

I feel like an infant.

Unless I just never figured it out, I don't think you can unequip an item like that. Once you get a weapon, you can just equip that when you don't want to see an item/prompt on screen.

Ok,
on mission 10 and now the Alien is everywhere. I use the flamethrower, it goes into a top vent but comes back 40 seconds later. Rinse and repeat ad naseum. Shouldn't use the flamethrower, but it feels good to burn that motherfucker.

Oh I and love how the Alien
doesn't give two shits about the androids.

Chabbles

Im looking on Steams AI store page and see "Last survivor" dlc where you play as Ellen ripley and play through the end of the movie Alien, setting up the self destruct on the Nostromo and escaping and all that.. Is this dlc available on console yet ?

Melchiah

I got the Nostromo edition for pre-ordering, and I was wondering if I should play the Crew Expendable mission after playing the main game, or does it even matter?

Chabbles

I got the Nostromo edition for pre-ordering, and I was wondering if I should play the Crew Expendable mission after playing the main game, or does it even matter?

I heard its meant for after completing the main game, so you'll know what your doing and have knowledge of all the mechanics and crafting and stuff.

dammit, I was forced to use the(weapon spoiler)
flamethrower
because I was found by the alien and I did not want to redo a certain long stretch again. oh well lol.

GrizzNKev

Banned
Well I finished it.

I don't really know if I agree with the complaint that the game drags towards the end, but I definitely felt like poor ripley just wasn't getting a break.The intensity ramps up to 200% at the end. Though I'm not sure if the finale was what I was hoping for but man does it feel peaceful just sitting back in my chair and realizing that I am done.

Game is tense as hell.

Honestly I kind of fucking loved the whole game, and it's probably up there as one of my top horror games of all time. I don't agree with nearly any of the complaints the game received. Except for the pacing issues a few reviewers spoke of. Honestly my biggest gripe with the game was that (i guess I'll spoiler this since it deals with weapons)
when you reach the beginning of the finale you're basically swimming in ammo for a bunch of shit you don't need and can't use. I was still being given SHOTGUN ammo during the finale, where it has 0% use because the flamethrower is the only thing that will save your ass. I guess to kill headcrabs but even still. Honestly the weapons are the area where I feel like I can complain the most about. The rubber suit working joes just will not die from anything other than the bolt gun in any reasonable amount of time or ammo use. You always have enough bolt gun rounds so why dump your 50 revolver rounds into him? As for the shotgun,

I feel like the ammo was too sparse considering how relatively weak it was. It didn't exactly kill guards faster, It only really killed working joes faster but by that point you also had the stun baton to basically murder them with. I think my biggest issue is that some options are just WAYYY more practical than others to the point that you start having insane surpluses of ammo and other supplies. I think during the whole game I only threw 2 pipe bombs and 1 flash bang, maybe fired less than 10 shotgun rounds, and less than 8 bolt gun rounds. On top of that I never once used a smoke grenade. In fact I always felt like I had more than enough of everything EXCEPT flamethrower ammo, that shit was way too important and way too easy to screw yourself with.

I just finished it too, and I mostly agree with you. Played on hard.

The only section in the game where I just went nuts with shooting and blowing shit up was entering and exiting the reactor core, where I just hunted down the (I believe 15 in total) androids. The rest of the time I didn't really need anything but the flamethrower.

Picked this up last night. Didn't have Internet so is there a day 1 patch? The atmosphere is amazing. But there's alot of shimmering aliasing. The cutscenes are super jerky and the NPC's voices were horribly off and lifeless.

Either way I'm a huge wuss and went to bed after my first encounter last night haha. I'm in for a rough few days with this game

Top Bottom