• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Mission 5 spoilers potentially:

I hopped of the tram, met up with one of the NPCs from the original ship. First action - pull out revolver and clock him in the head to see what happens. White synthetic blood spills out.

... did I accidentally spoil a plot twist down the line, or did we already know that guy was a synth?
the game never tells you explicitly. it's mentioned off-hand later, but you're kind of just supposed to get it based on his behaviour

Jesus Christ, why the fuck did the reviewer mention
the Newt thing?
People not at Mission 16 are going to be pissed if they watch that.

Did you seriously just post an unmarked unhidden spoiler while complaining about someone spoiling?

Please tell me it was a joke. I wouldnt be able to tell because I'm not watching the video, dont want spoilers!

Chiggs

Gold Member
Did you seriously just post an unmarked unhidden spoiler while complaining about someone spoiling? Please tell me it was a joke.

I'm just surprised Creative Assembly managed to track down
Carrie Henn
; she looks like she works at The Waffle House and listens to Slipknot. Then again, it could just be her track from
Aliens.

Edit: Dude, the
Newt
thing has been spoiled earlier in this thread.
Basically, it's an easter egg in the Mission 16 air vents. No big deal. She just repeats her lines from Aliens when Ripley questions her in the medical room with Burke.
And it's just her dumb
doll head

Sorry.

Oh, and before anyone claims that I'm full of shit:

http://i.picpar.com/PZfb.jpg

And it's really not that big of a deal--it was spoiled earlier in this thread and is currently making the rounds on Reddit; although, it's unclear how it's exactly accessed. Sometimes it will be in the vent, sometimes it won't be.

If anything, it's probably a clue as to where CA is going to take the sequel.

Currently on mission 11

How much of the game is left? I mean yeah there are 18 chapters in total, but are they long?

I don't want this to end. This is the first game in a long time which causes me to shit bricks and i love it. This is the Alien game I always wanted and its even better. Truly amazing that they managed to create such a well crafted game considering the developer does not have experience with the genre.

Rymuth

the game never tells you explicitly. it's mentioned off-hand later, but you're kind of just supposed to get it based on his behaviour
This.

I was not surprised it wasn't mentioned, I was just surprised it never became central to the plot.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This game is hard as hell on hard. Loving every second of it, the tension is immense. But it's tough.

Once spotted by a Joe, seems like your whole day is fucked. I haven't yet even been killed by the alien, (or really even seen him outside of story beats) but damned if those red eyes dont mercilessly beat the living hell out of me all the damn time.

Trying
to "Return through seegson on comms to escape" at the moment. Seems impossible unless I am just trying to be to sneaky, and or not sneaky enough. The alarms in this game sent me into a panic. "Shhhhh! There's a killer about!"

Just beat the game for the first time on hard. GOTY for me. Don't get the criticism for it being lone either. I thought it was perfect length. hell I honestly wanted to play more. I still have the DLC to go so I'm very happy :)

Anyone have the platinum trophy> Thinking about going for it if it doesn't have grindy type trophies.

Denton

I hopped of the tram, met up with one of the NPCs from the original ship. First action - pull out revolver and clock him in the head to see what happens. White synthetic blood spills out.

... did I accidentally spoil a plot twist down the line, or did we already know that guy was a synth?

At the start of the game he says something to the effect of "I don't need as much sleep as you" which made me think he was a synth.

Locust

Carrie Henn
; she looks like she works at The Waffle House and listens to Slipknot. Then again, it could just be her track from
Aliens.

Newt
Basically, it's an easter egg in the Mission 16 air vents. No big deal. She just repeats her lines from Aliens when Ripley questions her in the medical room with Burke.
And it's just her dumb
doll head

Sorry.

And it's really not that big of a deal--it was spoiled earlier in this thread and is currently making the rounds on Reddit; although, it's unclear how it's exactly accessed. Sometimes it will be in the vent, sometimes it won't be.

Are you trying to start a rumor with a badly shopped picture? :p

strafer

WHAT?????

I wish I didn't read that.

:(

even though im on 10

Mohonky

Man if nothing else this is definitely Visuals of the year. Ok so aside from some humans not looking the absolute best I have ever seen (still very good) and their animation being a little stiffer than I would like, everything else about this game visually is something else; and yet it runs so easily on my GTX670 as well.

The ships interior, the lighting, the effects, steam pouring from vents. Nothing comes close for atmosphere. Especially once you get down into the
hive in the reactor
its just like holy shit. First game that to me actually 'looks' like it belongs to the next generation of console or video card (yet ironically doesnt require anything even close to a beast of a gpu amazingly). This is the Alien game that the IP has always deserved.

Actually thinking about it, its also got to have the Audio awards nailed as well. I play with a home theatre with a butt kicker like device, so I can feel the alien running around in vents or hallways. Getting physical feedback as the bed rumbles while that bastard scurries about is a little unnerving. I have been putting off using a lot of things like pipe bombs etc, but I placed a pipe bomb on the ground where I knew a synthetic was going to walk, but lost track of where he was, only for him to set it off when i wasnt expecting it. The massive explosion and bed shaking to it I was not expecting, heart stopped, got a cold chill and nearly shit myself.

I have had some grievances with the save system but it seems to be giving more of them as the game goes on unlike the earlier medical center stuff where saves seemed few and far between.

Also enjoyed the game more since I stopped being so tight ass about using devices, you are definitely supposed to use them often rather than sneak alone, I am one of those people that hoard items and powers and not use them as I save them for later and then find later never comes. Finding though using them more often is definitely beneficial to your ability to survive.

Apart from some occasional quibbles with the ai, this is an incredibly solid, unique and thoroughly impressive title. It would take something pretty fucking impressive to knock this off game of the year. Looking at whats left and what has been, I dont think anything else really does it for me.

Lettuce

Dont usually see the Alien do this kind of take down on other AI.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VWcedZ5moCA

OldfashionedBabyishBedbug

Lettuce

Carrie Henn
Aliens.

Newt
And it's just her dumb
doll head

Sorry.

How the hell did it get onto the station though??...seems super odd. And you really think they'll make a sequel...im not so sure.

I still say theres a Queen hiding about...now that would be an easter egg

Dunkelgrau

The stun baton? You need to make sure you have stun baton ammo for it and then hit reload and it should swap out the batteries in it for fresh ones.
I'm play this game since 15 hours and I am not able to reload the stun baton (X on the 360-Pad) - am I doing something wrong? Are those the same batteries as for the torch light?

Pinktaco

Ugh thing I'm going to stay away from any and all alien isolation threads since spoilers are being posted left, right and center.

Lettuce

]blacky[;134988982 said:
I'm play this game since 15 hours and I am not able to reload the stun baton (X on the 360-Pad) - am I doing something wrong? Are those the same batteries as for the torch light?

No, you have to collect the cells for the stun baton...though there are not a great deal through the game (Maybe 12-15?), so use them sparingly. You'll know at what mission they come in super handy

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy

Erm.

This isn't a spoiler for Mission 5 :/

bidguy

Banned

he didnt look off to you from the jump ?

Yuterald

Just finished my first run of the game on Hard. Definitely overstayed its welcome at times, but it was still cool/interesting to the very end. Ending segment was kind of disappointing though. Great visuals, atmosphere and all that jazz throughout. I think this game might have my favorite sound effects in any game too (or at least when it comes to FPS games, I guess). The sounds that some of the larger reactors/cores towards the end of the game were just incredible.

There was one thing I did noticed towards the end of the game had me rolling me eyes though. It has to do with how panels/terminals work and passwords. I can't believe you can't even access a keypad (even if you already know the password) without checking the computer that contains the doc first. What's even more dumb is the fact that the game instantly auto-saves each doc to a master log, so even if you die between learning the password and saving your game, upon reload you'll still have to re-check the password's source terminal before accessing said keypad (even though you could just simply re-read it in your menu). Total amateur-hour.

Jesus Christ, why the fuck did the reviewer mention the
Newt
thing? People not at Mission 16 are going to be pissed if they watch that.

Edit: Sheesh! People get really pissy about spoilers here.

I don't follow, are you making a joke? I marked the spoilers in a couple of different ways. What spoiler are you referring to?
I don't know what you mean by the 'newt' thing, I don't mentioned anything to do with Aliens in the review

Chiggs

Gold Member
I don't follow, are you making a joke? I marked the spoilers in a couple of different ways. What spoiler are you referring to?
I don't know what you mean by the 'newt' thing, I don't mentioned anything to do with Aliens in the review

Not touching that with a ten foot pole. Sorry, dude. People get pissed off about spoilers here.

Principally pretty good, but the image quality is very soft. They put a lot of post process stuff on top of the graphics, what gives the game a blurry look - unfortunately. And shader aliasing is a thing in this game.

The film grain feature was on max for default once that's turned that off the game looks so much better for it.

The film grain feature was on max for default once that's turned that off the game looks so much better for it.

Yeah, and chromatic aberration is a big reason why this game looks so blurry. On PC you can remove it and the game looks much sharper (and better) without it. But on consoles you have no choice but to live with it.

Superflat

I'm huge fan of RedLetterMedia's movie stuff, but I always avoid their game talk segment "Previously Recorded", but they put up a video about Alien Isolation so I decided to click on it, and man, what a mistake lol.

It's not just this game, but practically their entire video game "review" catalogue is just a platform for being incredibly cynical and smarmy. Blegh. Jack is especially insufferable. He is only somewhat tolerable in "Best of the Worst" videos which is a series specifically made for loudly mocking bad movies. Should be expected, because Rich and Jack are most comfortable mocking things instead of critiquing. I wish there was a "Mike and Jay" equivalent to video games.

Skirn

I now see why everyone was whining about Mission 10. What an absolute pain in the ass... haven't had any real trouble with the Alien up until now.

Is there a save station anywhere?

bitoriginal

Finally completed it. Hated the last couple of chapters purely because I wanted it over, but it was a fitting end to an amazing ride. Absolutely the best survival horror game I've ever played. Almost had a heart attack at a couple of points, it really ratchets up the tension at the end. The pacing for the last couple of chapters was off for me though purely because I just kept dying over and over again!

EGM1966

I now see why everyone was whining about Mission 10. What an absolute pain in the ass... haven't had any real trouble with the Alien up until now.

Is there a save station anywhere?
There's actually a fair number (for this game) if I remember rightly. I never had problem with saving in 10 but I had a huge problem over relying on my new toy. Ended up with annoyed Alien on my tail most of the level. Ironically enough - relative to your post - I remember being relieved I was at least able to save regularly.

From memory though some save points were in side corridors you might not actually enter: so maybe you've just been unlucky in passing them by?

Superflat

There was a part in [Spoilers for 3/4 through the game]
Anesidora (I think)
that gave me a chuckle. It was a super dark room that lit up as I got close and I was like WHAT, ALIENS HERE?! Nope, just some visual trickery.

Anyone have some good screenshots of the
Space Jockey?
I want to see it from all angles.

I only took 2, from PS4 (SPOILERS):

dont they always grab your arm and stop you from hitting them?

Not if ya EMP/taser them first :D

There's actually a fair number (for this game) if I remember rightly. I never had problem with saving in 10 but I had a huge problem over relying on my new toy. Ended up with annoyed Alien on my tail most of the level. Ironically enough - relative to your post - I remember being relieved I was at least able to save regularly.

From memory though some save points were in side corridors you might not actually enter: so maybe you've just been unlucky in passing them by?

I was really diligent with saving, even doubling back to make sure I didn't have to do certain things again in case I die, so I had pretty much no moments where I had to do long stretches of the game. That, and I thought there were more save stations than I expected there to be, to be honest. The easiest way to tell if there's a save station nearby is via sound. In other playthroughs I've seen people completely miss them because they weren't picking up on the sound queue (which I thought would be really hard to miss because it's a really high pitched beep).

Skirn

Maybe I'll have to use the
flamethrower
more often. I've always tried to book it or sneak away when it's dropping down from a vent... usually ends badly for me. I'm getting impatient form having to redo the same section over and over again.

I'll check the places you mentioned, too.

Edit: Just found a save station - thank god. Must've missed it earlier because of the Alien. Now I managed to get there without alerting it.

Top Bottom