• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Lettuce

I use Photoscape, real easy to use once you have the images ready. Just drop them in, select gif size and speed, render and your done.

Ah so it doesnt convert a video file into a gif, you have to break ure video file done into frames/pics and then use Photscape? What do you used to change your video to frames then?

EDIT: Ok i used Free 'Video to JPG Converter' and Photoscape as you suggested....

vVjT2MG.gif

By the way the Alien has Shields, that's why it can't be killed...you can clearly see it in the gif above

Not sure why i can never get gfycat to work the gif uploads to there site but the links when posted never work!

chapter 10 wasn't really bad if you know
the basics of the alien's AI behavior and where the closest save point is
but it was really long.
the ending to it
more than made up for it hehe. it was an awesome point in the game.

Superflat

I was hoping DSO or someone who could wall hack and get some better angles from overhead. I want to see how accurate the face and eyes are.

Yeah I really wish this game with a photomode. This game would be perfect for it because the art design is incredible all around and would be great to have 1:1 angle comparisons.

Finally progressed a bit, chapter 10 now.
The previous chapter was god damn awesome.

10's a doozy! In a good way, for me; one of my favorites.

Lettuce

Damn, really great gif.

When the Alien lunges, looks like there are bullet holes with green blood where you shot it (in the arms) :U

Didn't think there would be any damage shown on the Alien model. That's a nice touch.

Yeah the Bitch stop running after me when it notice i had no rounds left and took its sweet time....'clever girl'

I was a bit scared off by the reviews suggesting there was only one way to clear each area and the "frustrating" alien AI, but now that you guys have some time with it, are these as prevalant as the reviews make them out to be?

LowParry

I was a bit scared off by the reviews suggesting there was only one way to clear each area and the "frustrating" alien AI, but now that you guys have some time with it, are these as prevalant as the reviews make them out to be?

You'll be fine. If you love the Alien universe, you're going to love this game.

Yamibito

Jumped back into this earlier for the DLC, and man after playing The Evil Within I was as blown away as when I first played it. Easily going to be my game of the year.

Bumhead

Banned
Just finished this. First play on hard.

It's my game of the year and game of the generation so far. Also one of the best survival horror games I've ever played. And I believe it mostly does that on its own merits as a game. Obviously you'd lose a fair bit if you stripped away the Alien license, but the core game is strong enough to stand on it's own feet for sure. It looks great and the sound design is absolutely exceptional. As good as anything else I've played.

Cant say I had any real trouble with the Alien, either. Chapter 17 was the only chapter I lost my patience a bit, but I think that was down to being eager to reach the end having got that far tonight.

Cudder

What DLC are people referring to when they say that the DLC is super short, Last Survivor or Crew Expendable?

I got Crew Expendable by pre ordering, are people buying the Last Survivor DLC too? I think that's the only way to get it, right?

I just played Alien this weekend with the Oculus Rift. Holy moly!! This experience is NOTHING like I've ever seen before in gaming. The sense of scale and actually being on that ship is amazing! I even tried to play the game in 3D using my 3D Vision glasses and the experience is not even CLOSE to the Oculus! Now I have to buy one! I can't really play this game in 2D anymore.. ugghh.. more money..:(

What DLC are people referring to when they say that the DLC is super short, Last Survivor or Crew Expendable?

I got Crew Expendable by pre ordering, are people buying the Last Survivor DLC too? I think that's the only way to get it, right?
They're both very short, and basically an excuse to tour the Nostromo. They should have just let you walk around it at your leisure.

senahorse

Finished a play through on hard yesterday (my gf also did as well actually :)). What a fantastic experience, could possibly be my favourite survival horror game and tied with Divinity as my GOTY. It depresses me a bit to see this isn't getting a lot more attention. I look over at The Evil Within, a game that came out a week later which has a OT twice as big as this one, yet (to me), the game looks rather mediocre. Hope these guys get another go at something like this, they absolutely nailed the universe and atmosphere.

Juraash

So I stared the game today (hard seemed the way to go). I'm not very far yet
the Alien just offed....that bald dude you ran with for a brief time
. And my question is, does the game let you know when you'll be dealing with the Alien full time? I'm literally only a few minutes after the spoilered part but I'm walking around on pins and needles cause I'm not sure if he is actively hunting me yet. I don't need to know when it happens since that's part of the fun, but I would like to know if it happens.

ElTopo

Banned
. And my question is, does the game let you know when you'll be dealing with the Alien full time? I'm literally only a few minutes after the spoilered part but I'm walking around on pins and needles cause I'm not sure if he is actively hunting me yet. I don't need to know when it happens since that's part of the fun, but I would like to know if it happens.

It's a good idea to walk at all times. You'll just kind of feel it when the Alien isn't around.

just beat it. Wasnt a fan of the ending, and the game dragged on way too long. Overall it was just ok. I tried the dlc, and fuck that. I was expecting more from crew expendable, its the same thing 3 times. Beat Last Survivor in like 5 minutes...meh

The hunt begins when
The Hunt Begins trophy show up

Juraash

The hunt begins when
The Hunt Begins trophy show up

Glad I started taking it real slowly once that happened. I watched someone else's play through of the game and he got wrecked by the Alien very quickly after that point.

I didn't get very far I don't think (though it felt like a really long play session) but I am really enjoying it thus far. I'd have probably snapped it off if this wasn't an Alien game, but that has kept me playing and I'm glad of it.

This game is fucking fantastic.

Some reviewers don't get It. The alien will fuck you up if you violate certain rules. Make noise, don't plan your routes, don't check
Your tracker. Don't craft and use items to assist you. Don't properly use distractions to your advantage.

Its like some people walked into this game thinking it was a first person shooter and got upset when the alien fucked their Shit up.

Plan and think. And pretend your Solid fucking Snake and you'll be just fine. I'm 6 hours in and I've only died like 10 times. Only once did it feel cheap was when the alien came up to me while I was accessing a terminal. But even then that wad my fault. I should have rerouted power to the door controls to lock it behind me.

Game is fun man. Take it from somebody who had the same concerns as you a few days ago when I was contemplating downloading it from the PSN store.

Picked this up on PC tonight. Being able to widen the FOV makes this game playable for me. Plus the fact that I can stream/play at 60fps makes a huge difference. I am really enjoying it so far. I plan on finishing the playthrough on stream next weekend.

Here is death #1 and #2

Realized that near the beginning of the game I wenched someone which counted as a kill because when I shot some dudes for laughs 5/10 popped up after 4 ;-; Oh well, will have to get the No Kill trophy later. Suppose I'll do it when I get the Dev Kit 2 in for the rift.

Up to chapter 13, I can only take so much at a time :p

Lach

Picked this up on PC tonight. Being able to widen the FOV makes this game playable for me. Plus the fact that I can stream/play at 60fps makes a huge difference. I am really enjoying it so far. I plan on finishing the playthrough on stream next weekend.

Here is death #1 and #2

Your death number two reminds me of my first death. Same situation. It was quite far away. I lit a flare and threw it away (down into the center of the room). Turned back to the alien who just looked at me like "you think I'm stupid?" and started sprinting at me.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Just got to mission 5. So far this game is amazing. Nonstop tension.

I really hope this game sells well. This is how the Alien franchise should be treated.

Lighting in the game is very impressive. I don't own it yet but I've been checking out a lot of screens and videos. Does this game use physically based rendering?

One more thing: anyone know the file size of the ps4 version? Thinking of going digital.

Never mind just look on PSN.

$99.95 on AUS PSN store... It thought digital games supposed to be cheaper, or is that just on Vita?

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Lighting in the game is very impressive. I don't own it yet but I've been checking out a lot of screens and videos. Does this game use physically based rendering?

I a, actually much more impress than I thought I would be with this game graphically. Had low expectations being cross gen and not huge AAA budget and whatnot. That said it is a very impressive game, from he lighting to all of the tiny little details placed into the world. The animations of the Alien, and the way light and smoke affect it. Really an amazingly atmospheric experience.

Also, the sound design is breathtaking. Playing on my Turtle Beach XP Sevens and this game is constantly blowing me away, both with the amount I use audio cues to track the Alien, and the way every little machine, material, light, etc has its own sounds, from the static hum of a monitor to the creeping cold of space against a glass window. Really masterfully done.

eso76

ok so...should i buy this ?

The concept is what i always wanted from an alien game but i'm skeptical about lenght and variety. Also not too impressed with the tech. Being the graphic whore i am i find that early into next gen especially, i need games to impress me so i can be proud of my next gen console purchase. I generally steer clear of cross gen releases missing on tons of great games because of this, but what can you do.

Reading about the atmosphere in this game though almost pushed me over the fence.
GAF, talk me into buying this.

ICPEE

This game.

Wow. Looks really good. The sound is really amazing. The atmosphere is just incredible.

This game is almost perfect. Would like a sequel but with a bit more combat (gunfights) added to it, not too much though but a bit of action to break the stealth parts would be really great.

Play this game with headphones. It really is something else.

Mohonky

This game.

Wow. Looks really good. The sound is really amazing. The atmosphere is just incredible.

This game is almost perfect. Would like a sequel but with a bit more combat (gunfights) added to it, not too much though but a bit of action to break the stealth parts would be really great.

The thing about the combat is that I actually really enjoyed it. You had to be pretty sparing with how you went about it, you couldnt go in all rambo on androids etc but I really enjoyed it. Knowing you had a brief period where tou werent been stalked by the alien opened up a bit of freedom where you didnt necessarily have to avoid every synthetic.

I also felt the flame thrower defense against the alien was really good. It was really frustrating to die to the alien so many times, when you got the flame thrower it felt like you had least had some means of getting to your next save point and saved me from many deaths that would have been ultimately very frustrating repeating tasks etc. I actually enjoyed the game more once i had that flamethrower as it took away a lot of trial and error / frustration from alien encounters.

Oddly enough, I think the mid way through the story missions were the most frustrating and least enjoyable bits. For whatever reason, maybe because I had more means of defending myself, I enjoyed it more because i wasnt dieing as often and was able to maybe relax a little bit and enjoy the atmosphere and encounters without the constant threat of having to die and go back and repeat shit numerous times.

All in all apart from a few frustrating moments and lack of auto saves (for some reason save stations became more prominent later and became less of an issue) I really think this is GOTY material.

Also, human enemies when you are being stalked by the alien. Throw in a noise maker, watch alien and human check it out. Always got a lol out of me.

ICPEE

The thing about the combat is that I actually really enjoyed it. You had to be pretty sparing with how you went about it, you couldnt go in all rambo on androids etc but I really enjoyed it. Knowing you had a brief period where tou werent been stalked by the alien opened up a bit of freedom where you didnt necessarily have to avoid every synthetic.

I also felt the flame thrower defense against the alien was really good. It was really frustrating to die to the alien so many times, when you got the flame thrower it felt like you had least had some means of getting to your next save point and saved me from many deaths that would have been ultimately very frustrating repeating tasks etc. I actually enjoyed the game more once i had that flamethrower as it took away a lot of trial and error / frustration from alien encounters.

Oddly enough, I think the mid way through the story missions were the most frustrating and least enjoyable bits. For whatever reason, maybe because I had more means of defending myself, I enjoyed it more because i wasnt dieing as often and was able to maybe relax a little bit and enjoy the atmosphere and encounters without the constant threat of having to die and go back and repeat shit numerous times.

All in all apart from a few frustrating moments and lack of auto saves (for some reason save stations became more prominent later and became less of an issue) I really think this is GOTY material.

Also, human enemies when you are being stalked by the alien. Throw in a noise maker, watch alien and human check it out. Always got a lol out of me.
Agreed. Im actually rewatching Alien right now and the way the game captures the atmosphere of the movie. Amazing.

To the guys who developed this game:
giphy.gif

picked this game up last week and played it a bit over the weekend....really diggin it so far but Im still pretty early on I think.

Just a funny FYI though. You can get the "Make every shot count" trophy by shooting friendly AI in the head. I got it when
you reunite with Sammuels and that girl (I forgot her name) who is injured. I thought "well, shes done for, might as well put her out of her misery" BLAM! I was surprised that it actually killed her and even more surprised I got a trophy for it
WARNING: YOU WILL HAVE TO RELOAD YOUR SAVE IF YOU DO THIS.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
Guys I'm stuck. Got no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Help. I'm up to
a bit shortly after Samuels died. It's in the chapter after that, which is chapter 13. I had to give my weapons up for the game to let me progress to the area I'm in now. Basically I'm on a part where the objective is to lower the security defenses so that I can use my tuner on something. When you try to use it and do the hacking minigame it only lets you do the minigame for about a second. So the objective is to find a way to lower the security requirements so I'm able to do this. The tracker isn't pointing me in any directions and I've had a look in the surrounding rooms and can't find anything. Help.

Superflat

Guys I'm stuck. Got no idea what I'm supposed to be doing. Help. I'm up to
a bit shortly after Samuels died. It's in the chapter after that, though I can't remember the chapter number. I had to give my weapons up for the game to let me progress to the area I'm in now. Basically I'm on a part where the objective is to lower the security defenses so that I can use my tuner on something. When you try to use it and do the hacking minigame it only lets you do the minigame for about a second. So the objective is to find a way to lower the security requirements so I'm able to do this. The tracker isn't pointing me in any directions and I've had a look in the surrounding rooms and can't find anything. Help.

I might know where you're at. I got a little stuck in one or two of the sections in this chapter. Check this guide out to see where you're at. I've referred to this once before and there's no spoilers as long as you don't read ahead of what you've already done; it just tells you what your objectives are clearly and where they are chronologically. I think you're in the beginning of the chapter so you won't have to read far to see where you're at.

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
I might know where you're at. I got a little stuck in one or two of the sections in this chapter. Check this guide out to see where you're at. I've referred to this once before and there's no spoilers as long as you don't read ahead of what you've already done; it just tells you what your objectives are clearly and where they are chronologically. I think you're in the beginning of the chapter so you won't have to read far to see where you're at.
Got it, thanks.

Controls are super irritating and I have no idea where to go or what to do most of the time.

Must have done the section with the tuner a dozen times before looking it up. If I'm perfectly still in complete darkness they still see me from all the way across the room with no flash light. Yay.

Catdaddy

This game.

Agreed, I got the Sony Gold headset last week, and ended up just starting the game over, amazing how much it changes the whole game.

Top Bottom