• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Lettuce

Meant to ask this earlier but why did you shoot at it? Were you trying to see if getting a canister to explode would scare it away?

Just to see if i could scare it away if i hit it a couple of times....i think i ended up hitting it once maybe twice lol

Lettuce

Anyone 1000GS/Platinum'd this game?

Curious to know how long it would take.

You could theoretically do 90% of the achievements in one playthrough on hard, but you wouldn't get much time to search and read all the logs, find the tags etc without the Alien hassling you.

So i guess 2 playthrough's would be needed so in the region of 30-35hrs, only play through on hard and then slap it one easy to get the rest

Cudder

You could theoretically do 90% of the achievements in one playthrough on hard, but you wouldn't get much time to search and read all the logs, find the tags etc without the Alien hassling you.

So i guess 2 playthrough's would be needed so in the region of 30-35hrs, only play through on hard and then slap it one easy to get the rest

I already beat it on hard, but I imagine I'll end up playing easy mode as if it were hard mode to get the no death trophy because of how unpredictable the Alien is lol. Gotta be careful.

Lettuce

Picked this up on PC tonight. Being able to widen the FOV makes this game playable for me. Plus the fact that I can stream/play at 60fps makes a huge difference. I am really enjoying it so far. I plan on finishing the playthrough on stream next weekend.

Here is death #1 and #2

Thats what you get for running Dug!!

Never run unless you know 100% that the Alien ont make an appearance in the area/level your currently in or After you have toasted that fucker with the incinerator and you have a window of about 10 seconds where you can peg it

Lettuce

I already beat it on hard, but I imagine I'll end up playing easy mode as if it were hard mode to get the no death trophy because of how unpredictable the Alien is lol. Gotta be careful.

Yeah be careful of the kill no humans achievement, as if you do by accident even reloaded a save before hand doesn't erase the kill

commedieu

Banned
This game is fucking phenomenal. Thank god for the team thats developed this..

I want to see a Metal Gear game from this sort of perspective. Theif, Manhunt,etc.

So enjoyable. So god damned enjoyable.

CKB3375

So GAF, what's the general consensus on this game? My interest has gone from minimal to "close to purchase" over the last week. It seems like it would offer an experience, and atmosphere, unlike most other games out for PS4/XB1 to this point.

So GAF, what's the general consensus on this game? My interest has gone from minimal to "close to purchase" over the last week. It seems like it would offer an experience, and atmosphere, unlike most other games out for PS4/XB1 to this point.

It's easily my favourite game of the year so far, and I'm not a survival/horror game fan.

I've enjoyed it much more than Wolfenstein, Watch_Dogs, Titanfall, Divinity, Wasteland 2, Shadows of Mordor - and I like all those games quite a bit!

Catdaddy

This is the only game that I've rage-quit and then 15 minutes later I'm reloading my last save and going back in for more abuse.

Superflat

Is this better than Evil Within?

Depends on the criteria. If you want a tense horror experience with emphasis on survival and stealth, Alien Isolation is the better choice. Unlike The Evil Within which has a lot of different locations and enemies, you're in the same space station for 90% of the game with three types of enemies, and while the station is very big, you'll revisit many of the same locations at least twice throughout the game. That said, there are plenty of breathtaking one-off location sets that are amazing.

If you want a RE4/Silent Hill mash up type experience with tense shootouts, light stealth, upgrade systems and lots of variety, The Evil Within is more your ticket. Unlike Alien Isolation, I found that it lost any semblance of scariness after the first quarter of the game. On the other hand, you're doing much more than the "pure" survival horror experience of crouching, hiding, and having extremely limited offensive capability. The Evil Within is very proactive about clearing out areas of enemies.

If this is what you're looking for, Alien Isolation fits that bill perfectly. The only caveat is if you get frustrated easily, or expect fair/rational AI from humans (they're easily the jankiest AI in the game).

The world building and atmosphere is second to none IMO. ESPECIALLY if you like the Alien universe. The great atmosphere does wonders to build tension. Their are parts in the game where you are "safe" but you don't feel that way due to the sound design. In those aspects it is really, really good.

I put my first two encounters with the alien up on Youtube for easier mobile viewing.
1 and 2

Also, certain areas are absolutely breathtaking. I know the console versions suffer from some aliasing issues, but all in all I think this is a very pretty good game.

Juraash

I spent something like 4-5 hours with it yesterday I think and it is quite good so far. The one thing that has really stuck with me so far is how this game just gets under your skin. It's intense and nerve wracking but somehow you just keep playing.

I haven't been scared of the Alien since I was fairly young, but this game makes it scary again, perhaps scarier than it has ever been. For the first time since I was about 6 or 7 the Alien has once again began to haunt my dreams.

Even if this game failed in every other way (and it doesn't) they nailed the mood and making you dread the Alien.

Oohohoho man, just got to the first alien encounter. Scared the shit out of me because I didn't even know it was an encounter mode thingy. Its first *potential gameplay timeline spoiler*
cutscene just ended
and I was waiting for a door to open so I explored a bit throughout the room (at first wondering what exactly I was waiting for or what I had opened) and when I came back to the now opened door and tried searching the nook to the left, BOOOM, the thing charged me so fast my heart hit my throat. This was seen only at the corner of my eye which made it more frightening. And what's weird is the game somehow made me actually FEEL like something was behind me once I started turning left to find potential objects. Hard to describe.

My question: Can I edit my PS4 captured video down to the last moments using the system or no?

Ozium

Anyone 1000GS/Platinum'd this game?

Curious to know how long it would take.

I have 91% of the achievements on Steam after 1 playthrough on Hard... I think it's easily doable in two (a clean up one on easy for the 'don't die in this section' ones and finding 100 id cards... the nostromo logs are pretty well hidden too I only found one or two during my playthrough)

edit: the one for the logs isn't that bad you only need 2/3 of them for the achievement

stufte

Just played the Last Survivor DLC and it was friggin fantastic. It probably helps that I had just watched the first movie before diving into it.

ElTopo

Banned
Just played the Last Survivor DLC and it was friggin fantastic. It probably helps that I had just watched the first movie before diving into it.

Just thought of this: since they had the opportunity of incorporating the "Turned into an Egg" deleted scene in Last Survivor but chose not to, this could be an indication that the Hive was formed by either a Queen or Eggs taken from the Derelict.

Adam Blue

Just beat this. I'm a huuuuge Alien fan and the design/graphics of this were awesome - but incredibly lame to play. A boring chore most of the time and no payoff with the story.

I put 30 hours in Colonial Marines and hated that.

Ozium

the dlc is way too short and ultimately dissapointing...

good thing I got it free on steam, if I had paid for either I would be pissed.

Just beat this. I'm a huuuuge Alien fan and the design/graphics of this were awesome - but incredibly lame to play. A boring chore most of the time and no payoff with the story.

I put 30 hours in Colonial Marines and hated that.

What?! As a non Alien fan this game is totally paying off. Just base on the gameplay alone I think this game has a lot of the Alien atmosphere down to a science. I don't really see the complaint on repetitiveness, because if anything Shadow of Mordor is worse than this game by a long shot. I thought the Alien was real reactive too.

I'm not finish yet, but I doubt an abrupt ending can really ruin the game for me. If anything, I think it would tie into to the game's sense of just ending things.

Finally got to put a good session in and Im really enjoying it so far. I passed the medical level (is that level really difficult compared to the others?) without too much hassle (only died once, but Im playing on normal).

I usually get pretty frustrated by games like this but so far, it hasnt been too bad. Patience is an absolute must though. Move too wrecklessly and you will ALWAYS pay for it.

The game is super intense but I havent found it to be very scary, the first few levels are creepy as fuck though.

Metal-Geo

Well now. Got the game since release day and have been playing it every other night for a small hour or so. And I must say I absolutely adore the atmosphere and the work SEGA/CA put into it. The interior design is spot on and beautifully crafted. The sound and music is simply incredible. Whether you're using a good surround speaker set or a bloody good set of cans. And the tension is captures the first movie perfectly.

But I'm afraid the frustration is starting to take over. For instance: (No real spoilers here)

- At a certain part of the game a scripted explosion occurs and a working Joe in flames is walking towards me. It manages to grab me and a little QTE moment occurs - and I win it. Yet, for some odd reason Ripley is now on fire. Literally. I'm not taking any damage or whatever, but whenever I pull out my revolver or any other weapon half my screen is covered in flames that are burning on Ripley's arms. Saving the game and reloading fixed this.

- A mission or so later I lose any ability to use my weaponry and motion tracker when walking. Jumping into a closet or any other hiding point reveals the motion tracker again. Jumping out and it's lost. Changing weapons (either with the keys and using the radial menu) has no effect and I still hear the motion tracker beeping whenever something close to me is moving. Saving and reloading fixed it as well. But holy shit was it frustrating to stealth to the nearest save point without a goddamned motion tracker. :(

- End of the same mission, an elevator at the lobby is now my exit. But surprise surprise, a few looters are in the area! And one is exactly next to the goddamned elevator. After spying the looter for well over a minute, the AI refuses to leave their position. Plan B I thought - lure the AI towards me and use the alien to my advantage. Y'know, a bit of strategy! The AI takes the bait: sees me and starts walking towards me. Eventually she sees me and starts shooting at me. After 5 shots or so and missing ... nothing. What the hell? So getting sick of dodging all her bullets I decided to end this: pull out my own revolver and headshot the cunt. And yep -- you guessed it -- within 2 seconds the ceiling starts rumbling and my Xenomorph friend jumps out of the nearest vent and kills me.

As much as I really want to enjoy this game... it just becomes harder and harder to jump back. Because these frustrating moments are really, really ruining it for me.

- End of the same mission, an elevator at the lobby is now my exit. But surprise surprise, a few looters are in the area! And one is exactly next to the goddamned elevator. After spying the looter for well over a minute, the AI refuses to leave their position. Plan B I thought - lure the AI towards me and use the alien to my advantage. Y'know, a bit of strategy! The AI takes the bait: sees me and starts walking towards me. Eventually she sees me and starts shooting at me. After 5 shots or so and missing ... nothing. What the hell? So getting sick of dodging all her bullets I decided to end this: pull out my own revolver and headshot the cunt. And yep -- you guessed it -- within 2 seconds the ceiling starts rumbling and my Xenomorph friend jumps out of the nearest vent and kills me.

As much as I really want to enjoy this game... it just becomes harder and harder to jump back. Because these frustrating moments are really, really ruining it for me.

You have a lot of tools at your disposal, why don't use them?

Btw, the alien don't attack the AI, but only the living creatures

jfoul

After spending more time with the game, this is easily my favorite game of the year so far. I'm excited to see what the season pass content will offer.

Metal-Geo

You have a lot of tools at your disposal, why don't use them?

Btw, the alien don't attack the AI, but only the living creatures
It eventually took two noise makers and a bullet or three in the knee to get passed. First noise maker the looters just looked at it dumbfounded. After the second noise maker one looter finally checked it out and the lad next to the elevator gave me the opportunity to smack 'em in the head with the wrench.

Btw, androids don't have revolvers. ;)
Do they?
I've had the alien attack looters before when they started shooting their guns. It was really annoying how the alien didn't appear this time when they started shooting, but the moment I fire a bullet - whoop - 'ere he is.

I'm only on Chapter 5, and liking the game so far. However, this game is underwhelming from a technical standpoint. The game has froze between missions 3 times now. The choppy cutscenes I don't mind too much since it doesn't have an effect on the gameplay. I don't have a problem with the Alien being unpredictable, but it seems very hit or miss when you find out it's near you. There are times when my motion tracker has been silent, but the Alien appears suddenly behind me as I'm moving along while crouching.

Best survival horror I've played so far this year.

Beat it last night and really enjoyed myself overall. Atmosphere and sound design, as already said, are second to none. You'd think playing in 6.1 (don't have enough room for a 7.1 set-up) would be the most frightening thing ever however it actually helps with spatial awareness and guessing where the Alien is; still intense, but you have an advantage. Kind of feel bad for those playing on just tv or stereo/soundbar speakers. If I had any complaints it was some occasional glitches like a synthetic saw me and started walking toward me only to completely disappear, and the game kinda runs out of steam near the end. It felt like it was building up to something but didn't quite delivered.

Once I left the nest I was sure I'd see a queen by the end but that didn't happen. Strange thing is I'm pretty sure I heard screeching that sounded just like one every now and then.

Question for those who also beat it: how many items did you end up using? Overall I only used (I think) two flares, two noisemakers, and a pipe bomb to get rid of a synthetic. Besides the flamethrower in the last several missions I barely touched the weapons too. Admittedly I was playing on normal and tried to be as stealthy as possible so that might have something to do with it.

Superflat

Question for those who also beat it: how many items did you end up using? Overall I only used (I think) two flares, two noisemakers, and a pipe bomb to get rid of a synthetic. Besides the flamethrower in the last several missions I barely touched the weapons too. Admittedly I was playing on normal and tried to be as stealthy as possible so that might have something to do with it.

It was the same for me. I saved and never used my items until the second half of the game, when I realized that the game puts more than enough crafting parts in the environment that I would pretty much never have to worry about running out of anything. Even then, I only ended up using everything about once or twice (some items just to see what they looked like). There's one particular android section that gave you a ton of already-crafted items, so I ended using those too for the hell of it.

However, this game is underwhelming from a technical standpoint.

In certain aspects, it's totally immersion-breaking, even when the game is glitch free. The in-game lip syncing and animations (save for the alien and androids) are incredibly jarring, reminding me of the PS2 era even though the visuals are top notch. Gameplay-wise, the human AI are absolutely abysmal, however you look at it. Once they know you're around or spot you, their AI don't know how to do anything other than stay stationary and shoot. The only way to keep immersion is to do bypass every human encounter with pure stealth because interacting with them in any other way exposes how shoddily they were put together.

There's a part when you encounter non-hostile humans in a tram station, and they just stared at me dumbfounded for 5 seconds before the scripting kicked in and they started dashing around the station and taking cover. Hiding from nothing. Who are they? Why are they mute? What are they hiding from? I would walk towards them and they'd just be crouching and running to different cover, like I was completely invisible. They were behaving so weirdly that I just decided to whack one in the head with my wrench, and the game gave me a instant death screen, with the tooltip saying: "don't kill innocents!"

Way to tell me this totally arbitrary game rule late and ruin any possibility of a no-death run :T

Thankfully I've never had to deal with a frozen screen, crashes, or glitches that actually affected my gameplay in a negative way in my 1.5 playthrough (PS4).

Finished this last night, loved every minute and it's currently my GOTY. Do we know how it's selling?

Really hope it sells well. Technical issues aside, they created the survival experience I've been wanting from games. The setting couldn't be better and as an Alien fan, this is really a "dream game come true" situation. It's a strong GOTY contender for me as well.

ryuken-d

This seems like the type of game to buy a Wireless Gold Headset on PS4 for.

yes and yes, I have gold but I prefer my older PS3 headphones with that bass rumble thingy. both wireless and fantastic. also love the game so far I've been surprised at every turn. not what I expected at all. and it looks so damn good.

ryuken-d

Controls are super irritating and I have no idea where to go or what to do most of the time.

Must have done the section with the tuner a dozen times before looking it up. If I'm perfectly still in complete darkness they still see me from all the way across the room with no flash light. Yay.

I lured them to me and ran at them bludgeoning them to death. (one at a time of course) I couldn't sneak past them but it was satifying.

also question, I maxed out my scrap and have no idea what to use it for. I ran across a room with a shop work table (like TLOU) and though I could upgrade or something but no. now I keep having to leave scrap behind and I just started the game??

frontovik

Banned
The first DLC is coming out on October 28th.

Corporate Lockdown.

We’re proud to announce that the first of our five add-on packs to Survivor Mode, ‘Corporate Lockdown’ will be available from October 28th.

Each add-on pack will offer new perspectives on the events on-board Sevastopol Station in the days before the arrival of the Weyland-Yutani team, with a new playable character, a unique set of objectives and a new game mode.

“Nobody’s clean; everyone’s got a little dirt on them. You just gotta know how to use it to make them squirm.”

- Ransome

In ‘Corporate Lockdown’, you step in to the shoes of Ransome, a Seegson Executive. On discovering that he’s been abandoned by his paymasters and aware that the Torrens is on the way, he decides to hitch a ride and escape, taking with him valuable decoded Nostromo data.

Before he does this, however, there are still a few loose ends he wants to tidy up...

Across three new challenging, tense and terrifying maps, ‘Severance’, ‘Scorched Earth’ and ‘Loose Ends’, you’ll be pitted against other players on our online leaderboards.

Will you escape the station in the fastest time possible? Or achieve the highest score with the side quests and hidden bonus objectives to claim the elevated top positions?

New to ‘Corporate Lockdown’ is also Gauntlet Mode. You’ll be challenged to top the Gantlet Mode leaderboards by completing all three challenge maps back to back – without dying. Will you succeed?

‘Corporate Lockdown’ will be available to download online for Xbox One, Xbox 360, PlayStation 4, PlayStation 3 and PC from October 28th, with four more packs to follow – ‘Trauma’, ‘Safe Haven’, ‘Lost Contact’ and ‘The Trigger’.

Those of you wishing to explore and survive every corner of Sevastopol Station can take advantage of our Season Pass, which offers you access to all five of our Survivor Mode add-on packs at up to a 25% discount:

http://alienisolation.com/news/2014/10/21/new-survivor-mode-missions-in-corporate-lockdown

Do all the survivor missions have possible plot/story details, or is that just the dlc missions to come? I may dip on the season pass if that's the case.

The Cowboy

I want one thing in one of the DLC packs (or just a patch), an Ultra Hard SP survival mode - 1 life on hard mode, you die and its game over and your save is deleted.

This is the one thing I'm surprised survival mode is missing, i was fully expecting a full SP mode with a survival mode setup.

spookyfish

Is this better than Evil Within?

It's very different -- I'm enjoying both.

Atmosphere-wise, they both excel at what they're trying to do.

But for me, the production values of Alien: Isolation are amazing. It really is as close to being in a horror movie as you can get. The way the music builds tension when the Alien gets close to you -- it's extremely immersive.

If I had to choose one, it'd be Isolation.

Superflat

I Wanna Be The Guy

U-S-A! U-S-A! U-S-A!
So Im playing chapter 14 right now. JESUS FUCKING CHRIST! One of my favourite parts of the game so far. Wow. I'm shitting myself.
The first facehugger to get me made me jump out of my skin. I couldn't see it but had it right beneath me on my tracker so I just starteed running only to have it suddenly in my face. So good. Then there's the moment I first discovered there were multiple big Aliens hunting me. I was running and then I heard something coming up behind me so I turned around and was greeted by an Aien. So I shot it with the flamethrower. Phew I thought. Then a second later I got stabbed through the back by a second Alien. Oh. Love it. This section is so great because you cant rely on your tracker for shit because according to it they're everywhere. Super tense and super awesome.

Hmm, I think Ill wait and see how this DLC goes. If its actual story DLC then i might bite on it, but if its just a challenge mode with half-assed story bits, then Im going to pass.

My friend said he will borrow me his copy of this game. I can't wait to play it. He borrowed me his copy of Shadow of Mordor last week too.

I have awesome friends.

First DLC, Corporate Lockdown, will drop Oct. 28. Features Seegson Executive Ransome and three new challenge maps for $7.99.

Each DLC pack is said to offer more perspective on-board the Sevastapol.

Kind of pumped about this. I liked playing the Survivor Mode map and can't wait to see what other side character stories they come out with. C'mon Samuels...

Top Bottom