• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I'm on my second playthrough and playing on hard now (played the first time on normal). The Alien is much more of a nuisance, and I'm not quite sure I like that, lol. It feels much more artificial because it feels like it's more tethered to you than feels natural (that's forgoing the crazy coincidence of one Alien being in the same vicinity as you for as many times as it is). Just how long can a Alien stalk the same 50 square foot area, anyway? :U

The windows are there get by it, but they're much smaller. It does create more tension but after playing on normal, which felt just right if not just a TINY bit too lenient, hard feels like it's leaning on the unfun side. Can't say for sure if the Alien being on a shorter leash and constantly around you much more on Hard is true, since I'm still in the earlier part of the game.

I ended up bumping down the difficulty from hard after a few hours and it definitely feels like it's got a longer leash on normal. If anything it makes the game more tense because you don't see it as much of it.

maximrace

So I can buy this game for €25(X1) but I have just bought The Evil Within. I'm holding a horrornight with friends, which of the two would be the most tense/ scary? Worth buying this?

ElTopo

Banned
So I can buy this game for €25(X1) but I have just bought The Evil Within. I'm holding a horrornight with friends, which of the two would be the most tense/ scary? Worth buying this?

Alien Isolation is definitely the more effective horror game. You are at the mercy of the Alien even when you have the guns for the job.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
qnDpQuS.png

How is this even statistically possible? You get the shotgun IMMEDIATELY AFTER that mission.

Denzar

Hey guys. I've been playing this game for over 15 hours now and i'm wondering if I'm any close to the end. It doesn't really feel that way ATM.

I'm at a point where
Ripley is tasked by Waits to go to a gas planet called K-something something

Really loving this game and I'm taking my time. Scavenging every nook and cranny. I only recently started using my items more, and it makes the game more fun. Playing on hard, btw.

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Hey guys. I've been playing this game for over 15 hours now and i'm wondering if I'm any close to the end. It doesn't really feel that way ATM.

I'm at a point where
Ripley is tasked by Waits to go to a gas planet called K-something something

Really loving this game and I'm taking my time. Scavenging every nook and cranny. I only recently started using my items more, and it makes the game more fun. Playing on hard, btw.

Ummmmmm are you sure you don't mean when Waits tells Ripley
to go to the Gemini labs KG348 (the name of the gas giant) project room or whatever?

Because that's the half way point of the game.

RAIDEN1

So this maybe covered here already, but there are 3 "post pre- DLCquel" that are coming for the main game, which details what happend between the 1st Alien movie, and the events before Ripley's daughter lands on Sevestapol!..Survivor missions though..

Should be good!

Gotta say watching the LPs of this game with the lights out, was awesome...totally gripping!!

Can't wait for the sequel!

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
So this maybe covered here already, but there are 3 "post pre- DLCquel" that are coming for the main game, which details what happend between the 1st Alien movie, and the events before Ripley's daughter lands on Sevestapol!..Survivor missions though..

Should be good!

Gotta say watching the LPs of this game with the lights out, was awesome...totally gripping!!

Can't wait for the sequel!

Saw this. Pumped. Going to get a season pass just to throw money at CA. We need a sequel.

And while we are at it, can these guys please be given a go at a Jurasssic Park: Isolation ?

Denzar

Ummmmmm are you sure you don't mean when Waits tells Ripley
to go to the Gemini labs KG348 (the name of the gas giant) project room or whatever?

Because that's the half way point of the game.

Hahaa, shit. Must've misheard. But yeah, that's where I am, I think.

We just failed to lock down the Xeno in the server room + staircase because Ripley was trapped inside with it. Had to open it again and restore the power to an elevator afterwards. Again.

Only halfway, huh? Good.

fcobento

Neo Member
Just got it yesterday for X1...

Is it me or are the story animations kinda bugged? The movements are sometime faster and then it looks like a lot of tearing happens.

One tip for X1 owners: dont play the game until it is fully installed.

Replicant

This Alien stalker is so fucking annoying. I just need to find
a medicine for my friend
, god dang it! Stop following me around!

I'm up to mission 14 now, how did people finish this long game in like 2-3 days?

Did you people sleep?

It's taken me 37 hours to get this far.

Probably a lot of that has been me with the game on pause but hey I would have to be at least 20 or so hours in by real time.

That's like 2 and a bit solid efforts maybe even 3 and a bit solid efforts just to finish a game.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm up to mission 14 now, how did people finish this long game in like 2-3 days?

Did you people sleep?

Probably a lot of that has been me with the game on pause but hey I would have to be at least 20 or so hours in by real time.

That's like 2 and a bit solid efforts maybe even 3 and a bit solid efforts just to finish a game.

A few years ago it looked like most games were gonna end up being 5-7 hours, that had become perfectly acceptable for most games. I that it didn't become the trend I thought it would.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
So playing on normal diff. Is ideal? Hard sounds kind of broken going by this thread. Planning to get the game in the near future.

Jobbs

Banned
finally tried this game out last night.

the cutscenes are so choppy it made me wonder if my PS4 was broken. anyone else experience this?

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
Hard is not broken, hard is for real man ;)

Yeah, I just finished the game on "Hard"

It's a 1 hit death Stealth game.

"Hard" simply makes stealth more realistic.

Yep, hard is the real way you should play A:I

The tense on hard is simply amazing (especially the first 7-8 hours)

Ok, just that the past few pages have some people stating that Hard tethers the Alien closer to you, somewhat ruining the mood and tension given that you can more easily predict the behavior of the AI as it is more relentless and constant a threat(negating some of the surprise). Just wanted more insight as I usually opt for Hard in games, but that stuff sounded worrisome to me.

So playing on normal diff. Is ideal? Hard sounds kind of broken going by this thread. Planning to get the game in the near future.

Im playing through on normal (I dont deal with replaying large segments of a game very well) and its still challenging but do-able and the Alien is still a panic-endusing presence when you hear him crawl out of the vents and you are out in the open.

Ive only had about 2 times where I was killed and felt like I had to backtrack through decent sized portions of the game, but they honestly arent even large sections. Your first go through might take you 15-20 minutes only to have you be killed right before the save point, but the second attempt might take less than 5 minutes because you know where to go and the Alien isnt as clingy.

Superimposer

This is getting weirder all the time
Mission 12 - think I've hit a game breaking bug. Any help appreciated!

In the part with the androids that are standing in various poses that then come to life, I anticipated this so had myself armed with molotovs to kill them as soon as they woke up. I went through to the next room and the door closed and now I can't open it again. According to walkthroughs, one of those androids has the keycard I need to progress.

Frustrating!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost

In the part with the androids that are standing in various poses that then come to life, I anticipated this so had myself armed with molotovs to kill them as soon as they woke up. I went through to the next room and the door closed and now I can't open it again. According to walkthroughs, one of those androids has the keycard I need to progress.[/SPOILER{Frustrating!
Not a bug just keep looking around the area till a certain thing triggers an event. Spoilers if you really wanna know what happens:
They break the door down, i believe you have to enable gas flow in a rewire box 2 which starts a fire by the door, as well as pick up some schematics in the room for it to trigger

Chabbles

Did you people sleep?

But taking you 20 hours to get to mission 14 is due to your play style, alot of people will finish the game to completion in less time on their first play through. Im on the last mission and 13 hours in for instance (just added up the time on a walkthrough i recorded), and i've took my time playing this and absorbing the amazing atmosphere and gameplay.. got to finish this later though and move on to TEW.

Superimposer

Not a bug just keep looking around the area till a certain thing triggers an event. Spoilers if you really wanna know what happens:
They break the door down, i believe you have to enable gas flow in a rewire box 2 which starts a fire by the door, as well as pick up some schematics in the room for it to trigger

Cool thanks, I could swear I already did those things, I definitely did the first one. FYI when quoting me you messed up the spoiler tag.

EDIT: Yes indeed, I've done those things already and it didn't trigger

Superflat

In the part with the androids that are standing in various poses that then come to life, I anticipated this so had myself armed with molotovs to kill them as soon as they woke up. I went through to the next room and the door closed and now I can't open it again. According to walkthroughs, one of those androids has the keycard I need to progress.

Frustrating!

Wait,
you killed ALL the androids before you went into the next area? Did you hear banging on the door when it closed? If you can hear them trying to break through the door, you're good. If not, that means you killed every single android, which would be weird, and I guess it would be a developer oversight.
Worst case scenario, you can load a previous save point from the pause menu, but you'd have to replay that section.

edit: You got it sorted out already! That's what I get for making a huge post lol

Ok, just that the past few pages have some people stating that Hard tethers the Alien closer to you, somewhat ruining the mood and tension given that you can more easily predict the behavior of the AI as it is more relentless and constant a threat(negating some of the surprise). Just wanted more insight as I usually opt for Hard in games, but that stuff sounded worrisome to me.

Best way to get a feel is to try it on Hard first, and scale down from there as needed. It's what I shoulda done.

I started and beat it with Normal, and now Hard just feels weirdly unfair in comparison; but it doesn't mean it'll feel that way for most people.

I got used to how the Alien behaves in Normal so when I switched to hard, it ended up feeling more artificial. I like the idea of the Alien being more perceptive, but I didn't like that the Alien hovered around your specific area more much at all. The behavior of a wandering Alien I saw in Normal mode felt natural and even a bit more tense at times because I never knew when it would snake its way back in my direction.

In Hard I'm always contemplating using my distraction items, which I hate using because to me it feels kinda cheap and it doesn't feel as satisfying getting to the next section knowing that I "gamed" the encounter. On Normal I used two distraction items in the late game Alien encounters; on Hard I used one within the first quarter of the game because I was sick of it being latched to my ass lol.

I'm still playing Hard mode for the trophy and to experience it, but so far it's been pushing my patience. Waaay more deaths lol

Superimposer

Wait,
you killed ALL the androids before you went into the next area? Did you hear banging on the door when it closed? If you can hear them trying to break through the door, you're good. If not, that means you killed every single android, which would be weird, and I guess it would be a developer oversight.
Worst case scenario, you can load a previous save point from the pause menu, but you'd have to replay that section.

edit: You got it sorted out already! That's what I get for making a huge post lol

Best way to get a feel is to try it on Hard first, and scale down from there as needed.

I started and beat it with Normal, and now Hard just feels weirdly unfair in comparison. I got used to how the Alien behaves in Normal so when I switched to hard, it ended up feeling more artificial. I like the idea of the Alien being more perceptive, but I didn't like that the Alien hovered around your specific area more much at all. The behavior of a wandering Alien I saw in Normal mode felt natural and even a bit more tense at times because I never knew when it would snake its way back in my direction.

In Hard I'm always contemplating using my distraction items, which I hate using because to me it feels kinda cheap and it doesn't feel as satisfying getting to the next section knowing that I "gamed" the encounter. On Normal I used two distraction items in the late game Alien encounters; on Hard I used one within the first quarter of the game because I was sick of it being latched to my ass lol.

I'm still playing Hard mode for the trophy and to experience it, but so far it's been pushing my patience. Waaay more deaths lol

Edited, I do indeed have to go back :( bit of an oversight!

Not Spaceghost

Spaceghost
Cool thanks, I could swear I already did those things, I definitely did the first one. FYI when quoting me you messed up the spoiler tag.

EDIT: Yes indeed, I've done those things already and it didn't trigger

Did you try to open the key card door again? I think that triggers some extra dialogue.

Lettuce

I've never had to replay more than 5 minutes of gameplay. There's plenty of save stations. Some of you who are having trouble with this, you do know that you can go back and re-use the same save station once you've completed a task, right?

It seems like a lot of dudes either miss the save stations (and I've missed a few here and there myself but found them after I died) or are just unaware that you can re-use them.

I thought at least 90% of the save stations were properly spaced out. The part I hate the most is recollecting everything, so whenever I feel like I've done a bunch of exploring and don't wanna risk it all being for naught, I double back to the previous save station; but I only found myself doing that a handful of times.

Yeah agree with having to re-collect everything all over again, that a gain pain. On the whole the save stations are well place but there was a couple of area where there didnt seem to be any for ages

Lettuce

I'm on my second playthrough and playing on hard now (played the first time on normal). The Alien is much more of a nuisance, and I'm not quite sure I like that, lol. It feels much more artificial because it feels like it's more tethered to you than feels natural (that's forgoing the crazy coincidence of one Alien being in the same vicinity as you for as many times as it is). Just how long can a Alien stalk the same 50 square foot area, anyway? :U

Well after Mission 16, was it?, the Alien always being near you see is better explained i guess, as its probably not the same Alien

Taking my sweet time (honestly haven't played this in about a week and a half due to other obligations), but I'm finally in the thick of it: mission 5 (I believe).

Spoiler just in case:
In medical. The Alien has finally decided it wants a piece and is stalking Ripley

So far, not bad. The fear is real, though. Holy shit... I think I'm more freaked out when I don't see the alien. I'm just waiting for the creepy, lanky fuck to either turn a corner in front of me or plop out of a vent behind me. o_O

I, of course, encountered my first death because I got stuck in a room right after you enter the Dr.'s passcode to enter a new wing. To add insult to injury there was nothing really helpful in the room, either. The asshole alien just hung out outside. At one point I thought it was gone (via the motion tracker, it was moving away and the dot disappeared), but I think I experienced one of the infamous 'teleporting' moments, because it then appeared on my tracker literally a second later on the opposite side of where it last was. :/
I know the main tip many of you give is "keep moving", but it was always just outside of the room I was in. Granted, it was my fault I didn't attempt to lure it away with an item, but I finally had enough, tried leaving the room, and it was just standing there looking at me. I slowly crawled back, it slowly moved towards me, and BAM.

Onward and upward!

Ledhead

Finished the game but getting an urge to dive back in. I still need to run through the crew expendable DLC. I had such a good time with my first playthrough, and i'm sure i'll run through this on hard at some point.

Also, does anyone know if the season's pass DLC will include story missions, or is it just more challenge maps?

Finished the game but getting an urge to dive back in. I still need to run through the crew expendable DLC. I had such a good time with my first playthrough, and i'm sure i'll run through this on hard at some point.

Also, does anyone know if the season's pass DLC will include story missions, or is it just more challenge maps?

Just challenge maps-so far

btw:crew expendable is pretty awesome

supposedly each DLC has you in the shoes of a different character around the station and it sounds like there is a story linking it all together, but Im going to wait and see. It sounds like it could just be challenge rooms with a little half-assed text logs to find.

misho8723

Banned
The way I play this game is : after I save the current progress, I go just casual to look what where is, and if I die there - no big deal... the next time atleast I know where can I hide, where are the interesting points, where which room is, etc.. and even if I die a lot (playing on Hard), I don't mind really and so far I had no frustrating moments (currently I'm on mission 7)

I'd kinda be fine with more text logs. Reading through them in chronological order helped show how fast the station dissolved into chaos. Doing that also helped clear up some plot questions I had.

The way I play this game is : after I save the current progress, I go just casual to look what where is, and if I die there - no big deal... the next time atleast I know where can I hide, where are the interesting points, where which room is, etc.. and even if I die a lot (playing on Hard), I don't mind really and so far I had no frustrating moments (currently I'm on mission 7)

thats how I have been playing-

infrequent save points? No big deal if I scour the area seeing enemy locations/patterns

EGM1966

I've never had to replay more than 5 minutes of gameplay. There's plenty of save stations. Some of you who are having trouble with this, you do know that you can go back and re-use the same save station once you've completed a task, right?

It seems like a lot of dudes either miss the save stations (and I've missed a few here and there myself but found them after I died) or are just unaware that you can re-use them.
I honestly don't think the save points are the issue when some people lose a lot of time, I think it's because in those cases they've fallen into the trap of proceeding very slowly.

Watching some streams you see people easily take 15 to 20 min to traverse a couple of rooms never mind getting from one save point to an objective and back or to the next save point.

It's pretty tempting to go slow too but it's clearly a mistake as it wastes tons of time getting nowhere fast and it often results in getting killed more than moving steadily forward with small amounts of hiding/distractions and minimal dithering so far as I can tell.

ElTopo

Banned
I honestly don't think the save points are the issue when some people lose a lot of time, I think it's because in those cases they've fallen into the trap of proceeding very slowly.

Watching some streams you see people easily take 15 to 20 min to traverse a couple of rooms never mind getting from one save point to an objective and back or to the next save point.

It's pretty tempting to go slow too but it's clearly a mistake as it wastes tons of time getting nowhere fast and it often results in getting killed more than moving steadily forward with small amounts of hiding/distractions and minimal dithering so far as I can tell.

Maybe. But I honestly think a lot of dudes are just overlooking the Saves.

I mean, there's two BIG chunks of the game where you have to avoid the Alien before you get the Flamethrower. Those sections are not very big and it's a really good idea to Crouch walk for parts of it. But once you get the Flamethrower it's better just to walk around and hide occasionally if you want to conserve ammo.

EGM1966

Maybe. But I honestly think a lot of dudes are just overlooking the Saves.

I mean, there's two BIG chunks of the game where you have to avoid the Alien before you get the Flamethrower. Those sections are not very big and it's a really good idea to Crouch walk for parts of it. But once you get the Flamethrower it's better just to walk around and hide occasionally if you want to conserve ammo.
I totally agree but watch some streams - you'll see people hide using every spot along a hallway whether they need to or not or spend minutes under a table or creeping forwards and backwards every time the tracker beeps.

I'm sure people do miss some save points or don't re-use them but to lose as much time between saves as some are in sure the bigger issue is how long they spend traversing the relatively short distance between saves.

Once people go save 10 or 15 minutes without saving they're way more likely to get more cautious too, only making the problem worse.

You're best served trying to keep moving and accepting a fast restart as you note vs taking 30 min to get across a few rooms ultra cautiously.

todahawk

Agreed. When I first started playing I crouchwalked a ton. Way too much. Then I started walking and using the tracker to figure out when I needed to find cover. Progressed much faster through the game and was much less frustrated.

tengiants

I totally agree but watch some streams - you'll see people hide using every spot along a hallway whether they need to or not or spend minutes under a table or creeping forwards and backwards every time the tracker beeps.

I'm sure people do miss some save points or don't re-use them but to lose as much time between saves as some are in sure the bigger issue is how long they spend traversing the relatively short distance between saves.

Once people go save 10 or 15 minutes without saving they're way more likely to get more cautious too, only making the problem worse.

You're best served trying to keep moving and accepting a fast restart as you note vs taking 30 min to get across a few rooms ultra cautiously.

I agree with this. It's tempting to play like Dark Souls and be very cautious, but the key is to keep moving.

Top Bottom