• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Bydobob

I guess I'll avoid updating for now.

Yep, I can confirm I had the same problem, fixed by rolling back to 344.11.

So I finally finished the game after what I found was a bit of a lull 2/3rds through. Boy does the game pick up again with style. I think I let out a bit of wee the first time
2 Aliens dropped from the ceiling
. I also found the
recreation of space during the outdoor bits
awe-inspiring. Would love to see more of those in a sequel.

End sequence was actually pretty clever. A couple of
red-herrings with the hyper-sleep bed and the map flashing your destination throw you off balance and leave you feeling you could have done more
. One hell of an experience overall and best film tie-in I've played, period.

JoduanER2

Yep, I can confirm I had the same problem, fixed by rolling back to 344.11.

So I finally finished the game after what I found was a bit of a lull 2/3rds through. Boy does the game pick up again with style. I think I let out a bit of wee the first time
2 Aliens dropped from the ceiling
. I also found the
recreation of space during the outdoor bits
awe-inspiring. Would love to see more of those in a sequel.

End sequence was actually pretty clever. A couple of
red-herrings with the hyper-sleep bed and the map flashing your destination throw you off balance and leave you feeling you could have done more
. One hell of an experience overall and best film tie-in I've played, period.

Better than riddick?

Oh yeah. Best licensed game ever made (IMHO). 2nd greatest licensed game would be South Park: The Stick of Truth. And NES Batman for 3rd.

Don't forget the two classics adventures from Spectrum Holobyte about Start Trek 25th and Star Trek NG

So... My top five

Alien Isolation
Star Trek 25th Anniversary
Riddick (I lied about the second place)
South Park Stick of Truth
Star Trek NG

If you manage TEW will you be fine with Alien?

I just finished TEW on casual and it was annoyingly hard. Should I better not get Alien:Isolation?

The Cowboy

Man this game is so much better with decent headphones, went to the shops today (cash gen) and right there on the clearance 50% off marked price shelf was a Logitech G930 boxed marked at £49.99 - i got them for £20 (bit of negotiation), best thing, they were un-opened and brand spakin new.

So happy, and my god does the atmosphere take a massive jump up over my TV sound.

Mohonky

Man this game is so much better with decent headphones, went to the shops today (cash gen) and right there on the clearance 50% off marked price shelf was a Logitech G930 boxed marked at £49.99 - i got them for £20 (bit of negotiation), best thing, they were un-opened and brand spakin new.

So happy, and my god does the atmosphere take a massive jump up over my TV sound.

Dunno how anyone can game with tv sound, i cant even watch tv with it. Its so tinny and distorted it hurts my ears.

Made a lot of progress yesterday.

I just got the (weapon spoiler)
flamethrower
and although the game is still ridiculously tense, a certain amount of my fear is gone.
I'm assuming I should still use the
fuel
very conservatively, yes? It seems I could get in a lot of trouble down the line if I start trying to rely on this now.

Made a lot of progress yesterday.

I just got the (weapon spoiler)
flamethrower
and although the game is still ridiculously tense, a certain amount of my fear is gone.
I'm assuming I should still use the
fuel
very conservatively, yes? It seems I could get in a lot of trouble down the line if I start trying to rely on this now.

Ive had that weapon for a while now and its kinda strange when it comes to ammo. It sucks through the ammo extremely fast and you will go through sections where there is absolutely none, but when you do come across it, there is usually 2 canisters at least.

Lets just say its still not a substitute for hiding, if you roam the halls freely you will use up the ammo very fast. Also, maybe its just me but it doesnt seem to deter the Alien for very long. In fact, it seems like it comes back to the same area more often than if you just hid from him until he left. (This is on Normal difficulty)

So definitely have it as your default item equipped but use it as sparingly as possible.

Question:I felt that Outlast grew tiresome by the end of of the game because it dangled the carrot on a stick a little too much and the end game scares felt like a predictable obstacle. Am I going to look past this for atmosphere and the unscripted alien to enjoy this game?

Question:I felt that Outlast grew tiresome by the end of of the game because it dangled the carrot on a stick a little too much and the end game scares felt like a predictable obstacle. Am I going to look past this for atmosphere and the unscripted alien to enjoy this game?

I also was kinda burned out on Outlast by the time the credits rolled, but I am roughly 7 hours (is there anyway to check this in game?) deep into this game and Im not bored yet.

This game does a better job at pacing IMO. There is some down time in between the uber tense alien encounters which help in making it more bearable, whereas Outlast just tried to scare the piss out of you constantly which made it a bit of a chore after a while (as did the "find 3 uber tiny objects in this area to progress" objectives).

Also I think Outlast was a bit better at outright scares, while this game leans on the tension more.

Was playing M8 when I got to the Synthetic Fluid dept. that looks like a shooting gallery.

I was using the access terminal when I got an insta-death (apparently shot in the back) and the game saved before I could pause.

Am I screwed from getting the One Shot acheivement? I paused and reloaded the previous save from earlier in the level and passed that part with no qualms, but I have a sneaking suspicion I'm out for the count on One Shot (no way am I restarting the game).

Don't forget the two classics adventures from Spectrum Holobyte about Start Trek 25th and Star Trek NG

So... My top five

Alien Isolation
Star Trek NG
If we're talking sci-fi, you're missing several Star Wars games (most notably TIE Fighter) and the Blade Runner point and click.

Any good jump scares? Going to buy later tonight for me and my friends to venture through. And we like a good scare!
Not really, or at least there's nothing scripted that I remember. The game throws up emergent jump scares at you from time to time, when an enemy turns up in an unexpected place.

I also was kinda burned out on Outlast by the time the credits rolled, but I am roughly 7 hours (is there anyway to check this in game?) deep into this game and Im not bored yet.

This game does a better job at pacing IMO. There is some down time in between the uber tense alien encounters which help in making it more bearable, whereas Outlast just tried to scare the piss out of you constantly which made it a bit of a chore after a while (as did the "find 3 uber tiny objects in this area to progress" objectives).

Also I think Outlast was a bit better at outright scares, while this game leans on the tension more.

Totally forgot about the "collect three of this" and "turn on three of that" mechanic in Outlast, by the end of it I just wanted to see how it all played out but was not enjoying myself. I definitely like the idea of heavy tension rather than just pop scares, so I will pick this up on Black Friday (funds are low at the moment). Thanks!

Bydobob

Any good jump scares? Going to buy later tonight for me and my friends to venture through. And we like a good scare!

There are very few scripted, cheap jumps. On the other hand you'll be jumping every time the Alien takes you by surprise. And sometimes when you're expecting it. Getting chased down by the Alien is an experience in itself and never gets old.

Always best playing these games late at night, alone. Good points also on using a good sound system, sound clues are vital for survival as they are in creating the atmosphere.

So... My top five

Alien Isolation
Star Trek NG

I'd switch Star Trek NG with Elite Force I/II. I consider those the best FPS's in the ST canon and some of the best shooters I've played.

There are very few scripted, cheap jumps. On the other hand you'll be jumping every time the Alien takes you by surprise. And sometimes when you're expecting it. Getting chased down by the Alien is an experience in itself and never gets old.

Always best playing these games late at night, alone. Good points also on using a good sound system, sound clues are vital for survival as they are in creating the atmosphere.

Argh!!! I'm so excited!

Catdaddy

Several times I've had to quit playing because of frustration, but instead of shelving it for a while, I find myself firing it back up within 30 minutes to give another go.

Question:
So some of the Android/Working Joes you can walk by and they'll tend to leave you be and some that will instantly turn on you and try and kill. Is there anyway to tell a difference? I figured maybe had something to do with if you're in a restricted area or not but not sure how or if you can tell.

shiba5

Several times I've had to quit playing because of frustration, but instead of shelving it for a while, I find myself firing it back up within 30 minutes to give another go.

Question:
So some of the Android/Working Joes you can walk by and they'll tend to leave you be and some that will instantly turn on you and try and kill. Is there anyway to tell a difference? I figured maybe had something to do with if you're in a restricted area or not but not sure how or if you can tell.

I think the ones with red eyes are always hostile.

I'm trading some games in tomorrow and getting this. Been resisting for a while, but reading this thread over the last few weeks has made it impossible.

Can't wait.

Hubble

Playing this game and liking it so far and better than The Evil Within. A lot more suspense throughout and thrills with a realistic story.

Q: Do you have to overwrite your save? You can't have different saves?

tengiants

Question:

The color of their eyes. The red ones are the bad ones.

Superflat

Danielle from Idle Thumbs is streaming the last 90 minutes or so right now.

www.twitch.tv/patriciaxhx

Here comes the rage lol. It's always interesting that there's a constant pattern to people getting mad at games in streams. It starts with small mistakes, then larger ones, then you start missing obvious things, and get really angry at the game. There are times where I can tell audio cues or even see the Alien leave, but she didn't notice. Doesn't help when you're constantly engaged in dialogue while playing lol.

Still a funny stream though, and I'm not immune to exasperated moments while gaming.

Is Last Survivor the same length? Got Crew Expendable with Nostromo Editon, toying with getting Last Survivor for a couple of £ on PSN.

If it's a worthwhile 10 mins then I'll plump for the latter, otherwise I'll just play Crew Expendable through.

Already wondering what might fill the Isolation shaped hole in my life now? Is Evil Within worthy as a replacement, or even Thief? Not that I think any game that can induce dread & anxiety in such a wonderful manner might come along any time soon.

its a little longer, but not much. i bought it and dont regret it... but i just wanted more of this game so if you dont feel that way, you might not enjoy it as much as i did

Finally finished the game today. I wish the game was more like the first half because it takes a huge nose-dive in the second half. I was pretty tense and scared in the first half of the game but the second half had none of that and by the end, I felt like the game was testing my patience.

The spacewalk and some of the backtracking in later objectives absolutely killed me.

I wish the entire game was like the first half because the second half and
lack of Alien in some sections combined with dealing with the Androids
was an absolute chore.
The androids are no fun to fight at all, especially with no Alien around.

Solid game, but it never recovered for me after the first half.

Anyone's digital X1 copy lags and unplayable at random times? I mean how this $&@# gets thumbs up during/after cert?

Never witnessed anything that bad on a next gen consoles.

Cudder

Man the end of this game really goes to shit. The thing just won't get off my back.

Huh, I didn't notice any trends of it getting more aggressive in the end game. Stayed pretty much constant throughout the game in terms of appearing, unless it was scripted to.

Also I just watched Alien 3. I actually liked it. Expected it to be a lot worse from what people said about it. The CGI Alien was laughable though.

Huh, I didn't notice any trends of it getting more aggressive in the end game. Stayed pretty much constant throughout the game in terms of appearing, unless it was scripted to.

Also I just watched Alien 3. I actually liked it. Expected it to be a lot worse from what people said about it. The CGI Alien was laughable though.

The Alien is CGI in one scene at the very end.

What you're noticing is bad matting/compositing. That was a rod-puppet for over 90% of the movie.

Finally finished the game today. I wish the game was more like the first half because it takes a huge nose-dive in the second half. I was pretty tense and scared in the first half of the game but the second half had none of that and by the end, I felt like the game was testing my patience.

I wish the entire game was like the first half because the second half and [] was an absolute chore.

Solid game, but it never recovered for me after the first half.

I didn't mind the parts with the vanilla
androids
, but I felt it went too far with
the hazmat variants. They already took a really hardy enemy and made them near impossible to kill, and made them generally unavoidable to boot. It gets better with the introduction with the Boltgun, but you then only get a couple opportunities to use it and then it's just another useless gadget.

I was glad of the bit of variation, even more so when Mission 17 really demonstrated
how terrible the ever present Alien can be and nearly get in the way of what the game is trying to accomplish with it.

However, I agree with your first spoilered point though. As cool as it was aesthetically and especially the first time on
LV426
, the
spacewalks
were just too bland and slow without any real tension thrown in to make them that engaging.

Yeah, it's scripted in that stretch to keep on you. If you didn't have
the flamethrower or Molotovs
, it would make Mission 5 a pleasant stroll in comparison. It basically acts
as if you were hiding in a locker to where it's constantly zeroing in on your position
. At least in my first run it was like that.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account

Just watched it again for the first time since near release yesterday with the Quadrilogy Blu ray.

Still don't like it.

Didn't like the setting, didn't like the plot, didn't appriciate what they did to hicks bishop and newt, and didn't like how poorly the Alien was done. Had some redeeming qualities,(namely some of the cast) but not enough.

Going to watch the 2003 cut when I get off work in the morning and see if it is any better than the theatrical.

Top Bottom