• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

justino

Neo Member
Just finished - a great game which succeeded for me for two reasons
1 - I cared about surviving. This meant that sitting in a locker felt like an important thing to do. In other games I don't have that level of attachment to the character to invest the amount of time that I was actually doing very little.
2 - the artwork. the game made me feel that I was on the set of the 1979 movie. all the little details were in place. Games can look good but if the little details are wrong, the immersion is gone. here it was just perfect, and I imagine that is very hard to get right.

I found a lot of bugs
I spent one level on fire the whole time
I spent another where the alien got lost and I could stroll around at my leisure
Most frustratingly, I had one level where the transit returned me to an earlier stage - 15 to 4. Having to start a level again is never good when it's not your fault.

It felt like a new experience, and I would encourage everyone to play it, and finish it before passing judgement.

I'm usually tolerant of people having a different opinion on any given game, even ones I feel strongly about but there is something about A:I that makes me look down upon people who didn't appreciate it.

Uhum?! Could you give reasons for that? Seems like a pretty bold statement.

I love the game btw

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You can't really unequip the flare but you can chose a weapon like revolver once you get it that has same effect - removes the annoying square prompt as until you raise the weapon deliberately it stays out of view.

You can explore and you can revisit areas later on - there is backtracking but you can also chose to explore. You tend to find goodies and collectibles exploring. Of course you may also be dodging the Alien at the same time which adds to the risk exploring but makes it all the more rewarding.

Haven't had a crash ever but I gather it can happen. If guess it's fairly infrequent but can't say for sure.

Thanks man.

Never crashed here either in 20+ hours. I think I read that the new Nvidia drivers don't play well with the game, so that might be it.

I'm actually playing on PS4. I have played pretty much every noteworthy game on the system and this is the only game that has ever crashed on me (aside from BF4 around launch)

Just completed chapter four. Having talked to a friend about the game last night, I was reminded about the noisemaker and other devices. I now feel bad for killing the two humans earlier and my many deaths from the androids. It's great because it doesn't make the game easier, it makes it more tactical as I experiment how to best lure the most enemies to an area I can safely sneak by. Excellent excellent game.

Edit: what should my PS4 video settings be set to and why? I don't remember them off hand but I'm talking about the full/limited/automatic settings.

axb2013

Uhum?! Could you give reasons for that? Seems like a pretty bold statement.

I love the game btw

It's hard to describe. As I played through I could figuratively see the effort and attention to detail put into making it. CA poured their heart and passion in this one. Seeing people be dismissive of it just hits a nerve. I don't even try to discuss it, I just walk away. Which is weird because that's fanatic talk yet I am very well aware of it's flaws and if pressed for a score it's a shaky 9/10 from me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some lunatic instantly raging as soon as someone says they don't like, there is lots of leeway it but this level of criticism has me walking away in disgust: http://redlettermedia.com/pre-rec-alien-isolation/

I only encountered one bug, early in the game there was a floating revolver near a door.

So, fucking, good. The atmosphere, the graphics, the sound engineering, the controls, the little details like going under tables, and of course the ability to scare the shit out of you. Just a great game.

It's hard to describe. As I played through I could figuratively see the effort and attention to detail put into making it. CA poured their heart and passion in this one. Seeing people be dismissive of it just hits a nerve. I don't even try to discuss it, I just walk away. Which is weird because that's fanatic talk yet I am very well aware of it's flaws and if pressed for a score it's a shaky 9/10 from me. Don't get me wrong, I'm not some lunatic instantly raging as soon as someone says they don't like, there is lots of leeway it but this level of criticism has me walking away in disgust: http://redlettermedia.com/pre-rec-alien-isolation/

I only encountered one bug, early in the game there was a floating revolver near a door.

I think that people rating the game lower are dinging the game for all of the smaller things they don't like about it, rather than judging it by how much it does right or how great the overall experience is. I think Alien:Isolation fares much better when going by pure gut-feeling, as opposed to breaking the game down and analyzing all of the individual elements. It's so much more than the sum of its parts.

axb2013

I think that people rating the game lower are dinging the game for all of the smaller things they don't like about it, rather than judging it by how much it does right or how great the overall experience is. I think Alien:Isolation fares much better when going by pure gut-feeling, as opposed to breaking the game down and analyzing all of the individual elements. It's so much more than the sum of its parts.

You nailed it. I let myself get immersed from the moment I started playing and the game did the rest.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
You nailed it. I let myself get immersed from the moment I started playing and the game did the rest.

Immersion is not something I feel in games very often unfortunately, no matter how much I am supposed to or how good the game may be. This is a rare occasion when I am completely immersed. They really have taken the essence of Alien and applied it to a game, even though this is at the cost of accessibility and quite possibly sales. I just cannot praise Creative Assembly any more, Sega deserve some credit as well. If it was EA, this would be an FPS.

SRTtoZ

Well I'm going on my Alien kick as of late, re-watching the movies and all since Isolation got me back into the franchise, BIG TIME. Tonight I start my playthrough of AvP 2010, I know its not a fantastic game but I enjoyed it a few years ago, maybe its the fanboy in me, whatever, then onto, yep you guessed it, Colonial Marines and finally finished off by replaying Isolation on Hard. Don't hate.

I have just finished the first Sevastopol section, fuck GOTY this has GOAT potential. Like most people on GAF I am a massive Alien fan, and CA have nailed the feel of that universe. Sound design is fucking amazing, especially on a 7.1 system. One of the best game experiences I have had this year was when
I was waiting for the tram to go to the next area and the tension was rising, then the Alien doesn't even show up (I haven't actually seen it yet)
. I pray the rest of this game is this good

A few quick questions if someone doesn't mind:

Is there a way to unequip the flare? The 'press square' message dowb the bottom is annoying me

The game crashed whilst loading the second area, has this been happening to anyone else?

Is it worth exploring off the beaten track? Seems there will be a lot of backtracking to open most doors.

Will I get to revisit area's after I leave them?

I was very annoyed with the flare thing, but that issue goes away once you find the revolver. It was a minor oversight to say the least.

The game has never crashed on me (Steam)

Exploration is a must, there are a ton of things to find, especially audio logs or the Nostromo ones. Its kind of metroid-ish since you find gadgets that you can use in the areas you've explored earlier in the game, which usually holds hidden stuff like I mentioned.

Yes you will revisit places.

Markitron

Well I'm going on my Alien kick as of late, re-watching the movies and all since Isolation got me back into the franchise, BIG TIME. Tonight I start my playthrough of AvP 2010, I know its not a fantastic game but I enjoyed it a few years ago, maybe its the fanboy in me, whatever, then onto, yep you guessed it, Colonial Marines and finally finished off by replaying Isolation on Hard. Don't hate.

I was very annoyed with the flare thing, but that issue goes away once you find the revolver. It was a minor oversight to say the least.

The game has never crashed on me (Steam)

Exploration is a must, there are a ton of things to find, especially audio logs or the Nostromo ones. Its kind of metroid-ish since you find gadgets that you can use in the areas you've explored earlier in the game, which usually holds hidden stuff like I mentioned.

Yes you will revisit places.

Thanks for the reply. AVP 2010 is a criminally underrated game imo, sure it's a bit janky in places but it's still a lot of fun.

Vorheez

Hey guys!

I just downloaded this last night and I'm having a blast so far except for one glaring issue... Is anyone else having serious performance issues on Ps4? I'm experiencing very choppy cutscenes and the game lags when it's loading. I've done some research and I do have 1.01 installed, but I'm still experiencing the issues.

Am I missing something? Should I maybe try redownloading/installing the game?

Hey guys!

I just downloaded this last night and I'm having a blast so far except for one glaring issue... Is anyone else having serious performance issues on Ps4? I'm experiencing very choppy cutscenes and the game lags when it's loading. I've done some research and I do have 1.01 installed, but I'm still experiencing the issues.

Am I missing something? Should I maybe try redownloading/installing the game?

The cutscenes are borked, especially the first one. Not your system, everybody has that problem.

The horror of finding a room "safe" after checking the scanner and ignoring it for a bit only to see the alien staring at you once you cross an entryway.... hooooly shiiiiit!

Picked this up over the weekend and so far it's incredibly true to the source material. It just feels like the Alien universe.

I'm probably only about an hour in, and the game has done a terrific job of upping the tension. I'm finding I'm hesitating before entering the next area, and so far
I haven't even encountered the Alien yet (well, kinda - Poor Axle).

Miguel81

Finished up the game tonight, and this is my MF-ing GOTY right now. Unlike others I didn't feel like it wore out it's welcome, and am really sad to see it end. Tomorrow I'll finish up Crew Expendable and Last Survivor.

Pilgrimzero

Finished it the other day.

My only 3 real complaints are:

-You spend 95% of the game crouched. I get this is a video game trope to indicate sneaking but really I can move just as silently while standing. Time to fix this game devs!

-Everything was a 5 step process. "Open the door". Easy! Go across the map tot he door and go inside, right? No. First you have to find out the door is powered down. SO you have to go turn on the generator. Except the generator has a blown a fuse. You find the fuse but its behind a locked door. Your door unlocked needs an upgrade. Etc Etc Etc. Nothing is ever straight forward. Which again, that's video games.

- For trying to be quiet Ripley is the loudest person to ever exist. How about you not slam that locker open and closed while trying not to be noticed by the huge mean alien?

Fantastic game though. Any alien fan should play it. I even liked the ending. Now onto the DLC!

-You spend 95% of the game crouched. I get this is a video game trope to indicate sneaking but really I can move just as silently while standing. Time to fix this game devs!

-Everything was a 5 step process. "Open the door". Easy! Go across the map tot he door and go inside, right? No. First you have to find out the door is powered down. SO you have to go turn on the generator. Except the generator has a blown a fuse. You find the fuse but its behind a locked door. Your door unlocked needs an upgrade. Etc Etc Etc. Nothing is ever straight forward. Which again, that's video games.

- For trying to be quiet Ripley is the loudest person to ever exist. How about you not slam that locker open and closed while trying not to be noticed by the huge mean alien?

Fantastic game though. Any alien fan should play it. I even liked the ending. Now onto the DLC!

that's on you :)

i only crouched for 5 - 10 percent of the time. you can walk most of the time. running not so much.

agree about the second part, it got to the point where you already knew whatever your primary objective was would have 3 - 4 prerequisites to do first. in this way it reminded me a lot of dead space (the original)

I dont think that you have to crouch all the time. Im playing on Normal, but unless the Alien is in the same room, I walk and it doesnt seem to draw him to me at all. But again, Im playing on normal, dont hate me if the Alien rips your face off on hard!

fcobento

Neo Member
So.. i was playing it last night and husband was on the couch playing something on his ipad.

I was on chapter 5 and that effing alien was lurking around the cabinet I was hiding in. A few minutes later I notice that my husband is staring at me and he simply says: you do know you can breathe, right? You can stop your character from breathing but you can continue to breathe!!!

I have never felt so imersed in a game before.

Quick question though: How do I know which mission I am in?

shiba5

So.. i was playing it last night and husband was on the couch playing something on his ipad.

I was on chapter 5 and that effing alien was lurking around the cabinet I was hiding in. A few minutes later I notice that my husband is staring at me and he simply says: you do know you can breathe, right? You can stop your character from breathing but you can continue to breathe!!!

I kept holding my breath too. I also noticed that when I did break out of immersion, my face was inches from my monitor. I was just hyper-aware of everything on the screen.

If you go to the main menu, there is an option to replay any mission you've completed. That should tell you which one you're on.

Just finished the
Alien Nest section - when you need to overload the reactors
- Mission 14, I think.
Holy shit that was amazing and, as is pretty common with this game- very tense.
I died the most I've died all game there.

Fucking
facehuggers
Now it appears there are
MANY xenos
? The fuuuuuck? That's just great. :(
For those that have beaten the game: how much more do I have left?

Loving this game so much.

You can also check your trophies in addition to looking at the chapter select as mentioned above.

How do you hold your breath, though? I've been in a locker and the alien walked right by a couple of times and I was never prompted to hold my breath. Is that an "ability" I learn later on when the plot calls for it in a scripted encounter or something? Actually, I'm on the same chapter as you or one after so it can't be that.

You can also check your trophies in addition to looking at the chapter select as mentioned above.

How do you hold your breath, though? I've been in a locker and the alien walked right by a couple of times and I was never prompted to hold my breath. Is that an "ability" I learn later on when the plot calls for it in a scripted encounter or something? Actually, I'm on the same chapter as you or one after so it can't be that.

Good question.
The game told me once when I was trying to hide from an android early in the game, but I was so into the moment I completely disregarded the prompt. :/

Good question.
The game told me once when I was trying to hide from an android early in the game, but I was so into the moment I completely disregarded the prompt. :/

Push down on the Left Stick to move back in the locker AND hold down the Left Trigger.

You'll begin to hold you breath. The screen at the corners will begin to flash red indicating this. You can only hold your breath for a limited time before the Alien will
Grab you from the locker and tear you apart

fcobento

Neo Member
Good question.

Push down on the Left Stick to move back in the locker AND hold down the Left Trigger.

You'll begin to hold you breath. The screen at the corners will begin to flash red indicating this. You can only hold your breath for a limited time before the Alien will

the command will prompt if the alien approaches the locker. But its just like doktorEvil said..pull down and hold LT.

Thank you but do you mean push down (L3) or pull down?

Eiher way, I haven't needed to after two close encounters with an android and the alien.

Someone here said you had to wait until the LS/LT prompts came up for it to work, but I don't know.

I don't climb into coffins, "lockers," whatever they're called.

Edit: what should my PS4 video settings be set to and why? I don't remember them off hand but I'm talking about the full/limited/automatic settings.

If you are using a regular hdtv. Automatic should be fine. If you are using a computer monitor, then full.

Check my thread creation history, I made a thread topic not too long ago on this that explain this better.

If you are using a regular hdtv. Automatic should be fine. If you are using a computer monitor, then full.

Check my thread creation history, I made a thread topic not too long ago on this that explain this better.
You know what, I think I came across it while searching last night, thanks. I'm not sure it is recommended, but I changed my tv settings from standard (which I had customized) to game which is nearly the same but cranks up my vizio tv's adaptive luma. Normally, I don't like to mess with those settings but I think it eliminated some black crushing while remaining dark and vibrant at the same time.

Thank you but do you mean push down (L3) or pull down?

Eiher way, I haven't needed to after two close encounters with an android and the alien.

Pull down.. as if you were walking backwards.

I meant Pull down. My mistake.

Pull down on the Left Stick and hold LT.

Trust me, it'll get more difficult and hiding in lockers will become commonplace. Just make sure to hold your breath as the Xenomorph starts smelling around.

Superflat

Has anyone seen this yet?

Errant Signal- Alien Isolation (Spoilers)

Good video I think.

WARNING: Gamergate joke. :p

Errant Signal is hit and miss for me but I agree with pretty much everything in the video. The story is pretty much nonexistant. There's no arc, no meaningful characters or even any introspection, so the game structure is built around Alien fan service instead of supporting whatever story there could have been. Yet the good parts of Alien Isolation far outweigh the bad because it is the truest game that replicates Ellen Ripley's plight in the original movie, and that part is pure dynamite.

Errant Signal is hit and miss for me but I agree with pretty much everything in the video. The story is pretty much nonexistant. There's no arc, no meaningful characters or even any introspection, so the game structure is built around Alien fan service instead of supporting whatever story there could have been. Yet the good parts of Alien Isolation far outweigh the bad because it is the truest game that replicates Ellen Ripley's plight in the original movie, and that part is pure dynamite.
See, for what I've played so far, this feels like I (as in ME) am surviving in a derelict space station with a xenomorph on my tail. Since I'm in that situation, I don't need some kind of story arc or character development to keep me interested and going forward.

Jarrod357

Neo Member
I cannot figure out why some of my blueprints are not showing up in the radial menu. I got the noisemaker v1 blueprint but it doesn't show up for me to craft. All i have is the revolver, flashbang, flare, and medkit. I saw one other person in this thread have a similar issue. Does anyone know what the issue is? Im playing on PC. Thanks.

On Demand

Banned
Is there a certain window that a new game has to be in for it to quality for the 20% off from gamers club unlocked? I just picked this game up from BB and I didn't get 20% off.

Last couple of weeks have been busy so I only recently returned to the game. Great stuff, but aspects of the story are predictable. I really like Amanda's VA though.

How are the sales for AI?

Miguel81

Last couple of weeks have been busy so I only recently returned to the game. Great stuff, but aspects of the story are predictable. I really like Amanda's VA though.

How are the sales for AI?

Great performance by the actress, I agree. She's very convincing as someone who's going through hell.

Is there a certain window that a new game has to be in for it to quality for the 20% off from gamers club unlocked? I just picked this game up from BB and I didn't get 20% off.
No. Any new game no matter when it was released should qualify. Call customer support and get your money back.

Afro

seems the general consensus is to watch the original Alien ('79) before playing. what about the later installments? Will I be fine with just with the original?

The Cowboy

seems the general consensus is to watch the original Alien ('79) before playing. what about the later installments? Will I be fine with just with the original?
Watch Alien as the into, then finish the game, then watch Aliens as the ending credits :D.

Top Bottom