• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Scotch

I started playing this recently. It's a really well-made game for sure. The atmosphere, sound design, voice acting, and performance on my medium-spec GPU are all top notch. But I wish I enjoyed playing it more. Doing all the ship maintenance missions over and over is getting on my nerves. I could tolerate that stuff in Dead Space because shooting the necromorphs was so much fun, but Alien: Isolation of course doesn't have that combat hook. I like action-horror, and I like stealth, but stealth-horror may be a bit too much for me, unfortunately.

But I'll soldier on, see how things develop. I'm in the Scimed tower now, can you guys tell me how far I am, percentage wise?

Lettuce

Ok have the Season Pass but the new DLC survival map released today isnt showing on the Xbox One, anyone else have this issue?

Pilgrimzero

I just finished the Last Survivor DLC and afterwards wondered if I could have spotted the alien hiding in the shuttle at the end.

Does anyone know?

EGM1966

seems the general consensus is to watch the original Alien ('79) before playing. what about the later installments? Will I be fine with just with the original?
Only watch Alien before playing. Then watch Aliens afterwards for some interesting elements to appreciate after A:I. It's a terrific film in its own right even if it does make the Alien too disposable and too recognisably insect like. Watch extended version of Aliens and only watch theatrical cut of Alien NOT the directors cut (which it technically isn't really).

Nugg

I'm stuck at what appears to be, according reports, a glitched objective. I need to restart the whole mission. Very frustrating.

Maybe anyone know a quick fix? It's the fifth mission,
I need to report back to the doctor after finding the key card in the medical ward. Nothing happens when I get there.

Afro

Only watch Alien before playing. Then watch Aliens afterwards for some interesting elements to appreciate after A:I. It's a terrific film in its own right even if it does make the Alien too disposable and too recognisably insect like. Watch extended version of Aliens and only watch theatrical cut of Alien NOT the directors cut (which it technically isn't really).
awesome, appreciate it. i'm most likely renting through amazon. not sure if that's the theatrical cut.

I'm getting closer, I'm on my last objective of the mission on chapter 16 I think; it seems on the way to it the alien is always close.

From reading this I expect much of the same in chapter 17 and 18, which is bad news as I'm low on supplies!

Hope I make it through!

I just SharePlayed this with my cousin and had a blast watching him play. Unfortunately for him, he didn't get to encounter the alien but he did get to see it when I was playing at first. Fortunately for me, he did some of the monotonous chore work for me haha.

ezekial45

Banned
So let me get this straight. The Map Pack released today is a standalone story mission (like the Nostromo DLC) for Ransome, in addition to new survivor mode maps?

So let me get this straight. The Map Pack released today is a standalone story mission (like the Nostromo DLC) for Ransome, in addition to new survivor mode maps?

Corporate Lockdown is three challenge maps that feature Ransome. Within the three maps is the side story content. AFAIK the only DLC planned for the Season Pass are Survival Mode map packs.

This is one of the most frustrating games i've ever played. It's like a constant chore....there is no reward. Unfortunately the alien encounters instead of being nerve wrecking and exciting are one of the biggest reasons to stop playing altogether.

Still waiting for a good aliens game that captures the spirit and atmosphere of the world that everything is taking place in and not just ripping off scenes and ideas from one of the movies.

Glad I got to play this at a mates house before buying because you could not pay me to play another hour of this drab game. Top marks for visual presentation and sound design but unfortunately one of the least fun games i've ever played.....ever! This is coming from someone who pauses the alien movie on the scene which shows a panned out shot of the derelict craft because I find the idea of that world with this in it very soothing....so yea not only a HUGE Alien/s fan but it's my favourite game/movie type media.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
This is one of the most frustrating games i've ever played. It's like a constant chore....there is no reward. Unfortunately the alien encounters instead of being nerve wrecking and exciting are one of the biggest reasons to stop playing altogether.

Still waiting for a good aliens game that captures the spirit and atmosphere of the world that everything is taking place in and not just ripping off scenes and ideas from one of the movies.

Glad I got to play this at a mates house before buying because you could not pay me to play another hour of this drab game. Top marks for visual presentation and sound design but unfortunately one of the least fun games i've ever played.....ever! This is coming from someone who pauses the alien movie on the scene which shows a panned out shot of the derelict craft because I find the idea of that world with this in it very soothing....so yea not only a HUGE Alien/s fan but it's my favourite game/movie type media.

I respect this opinion. That said I dissagree with every point you made so hard it hurts. Game is an amazing blast of fresh air, and never in gaming have I been this tense.

This game is the first step in getting that game, though. Otherwise, you're just going to get another military shooter with xenomorphs. What better way to convey the universe's atmosphere than putting you in space on a derelict station and fending for your life as a working joe (no pun intended)? I personally applaud "maintenance" as gameplay over combat in this universe.

derFeef

This game is the first step in getting that game, though. Otherwise, you're just going to get another military shooter with xenomorphs. What better way to convey the universe's atmosphere than putting you in space on a derelict station and fending for your life as a working joe (no pun intended)? I personally applaud "maintenance" as gameplay over combat in this universe.

I don't think he implied that he wanted constant comabt and action, just because one does not enjoy the frustration this game can provide, it does not mean that person can only enjoy military shooters.

I am the same, I will never finish this - as much as I hoped I would like it.

I don't think he implied that he wanted constant comabt and action, just because one does not enjoy the frustration this game can provide, it does not mean that person can only enjoy military shooters.

I am the same, I will never finish this - as much as I hoped I would like it.
I wasn't implying he preferred military shooters either. I was implying that if this game didn't have an audience, we'd get more military shooters instead. But with the gameplay in Isolation, I imagine a sequel could feature the same level of detail in other parts of this universe and provide a look into maybe the inner workings of Weyland or whatever that poster may want. (They didn't really provide any context of what it is they wish the game was though other than being upset that it was... well that part wasn't clear either *Edit: rereading, it seems he wants a more passive and relaxed experience).

derFeef

Hmm. Thinking about it. I wish the Alien encounters would not be present in almost every chapter. Puzzle solving and hazzardous traversal would have been neat without the constant fear of dying and replaying from time to time - I think this game is a great foundation, but lacks a bit of variety. I am glad this is succesfully for what it is, we need more AAA games like this that break the mold of modern game design. Dare I say I would have been fine with a more scripted Alien, mixed with what we have currently.

Miguel81

I wasn't implying he preferred military shooters either. I was implying that if this game didn't have an audience, we'd get more military shooters instead. But with the gameplay in Isolation, I imagine a sequel could feature the same level of detail in other parts of this universe and provide a look into maybe the inner workings of Weyland or whatever that poster may want. (They didn't really provide any context of what it is they wish the game was though other than being upset that it was... well that part wasn't clear either *Edit: rereading, it seems he wants a more passive and relaxed experience).

The Alien universe is a hostile place and passive wouldn't work. This game is for a specific audience, and if you don't like it find something else.

Has anyone gotten the "100 times too many" achievement? That was a surprising one, hehe.

BigTnaples

Todd Howard's Secret GAF Account
Bought the season pass last night.

At this point just blindingly throwing money at them in hopes that this game is successful.

That said, is Lone Survivor not included in the season pass?

Lettuce

Bought the season pass last night.

At this point just blindingly throwing money at them in hopes that this game is successful.

That said, is Lone Survivor not included in the season pass?

Yeah i dont think it is, i was under the impression it would have been so a bit gutted by that.

Is the new DLC showing up in the survivor mode fro you ok?. On the Xb1 its not showing for some reason

I actually reviewed this game here recently. Am I allowed to post video reviews on Neogaf? If so Ill post it :)

Spoiler Alert: Its a good game xD

Afro

just started, but this game probably has the cleanest, most detailed, enveloping, intimate, ambient sound design I've ever heard. some nice open-back amped headphones w/ the music slider off =

SuqSiEr.png

i can spend hours simply walking around the starting area listening to the hum of the ship, the electronic "bleep bloop" sounds emitting from the random machines and mechanisms scattered around, doors opening/closing, my bare feet squeaking on the tile floor when making a sharp turn. the list can go on.

Evil Within's sound design in comparison is pretty fatiguing and nowhere near as enveloping. In Alien Iso I feel like I'm right there.

wonder if it's possible to adjust specific sound levels like Voice somewhere in the game files.

THANKS SOUND TEAM. YOU ARE GODS. Top tier.

Hmm. Close to finishing up Mordor, have a gap between now and Unity coming out, I'm thinking I might grab this as a halloween weekend/week filler. How present is the alien through the campaign? Interested in the atmosphere and exploration, definitely interested in the cat and mouse aspects of the alien ai, but I've read the game is preeetty long. Is the alien ALWAYS active/potential for it to randomly get you, or are there equal portions of puzzle solving and exploring without it around?

It's rare for any game to get my heart racing, but this is one of them. My heart was going to jump out of my chest when I was just playing it then and it hasn't stopped!. I've never played a game where I'm literally scared.

The sound design and the motion detector are brilliant. Hearing the alien going through the vents not knowing exactly where he is truly terrifying. Just gifed one of those situations that happened to me 15 minutes ago where I was hiding in a locker.

mlrqOtt.gif

Hmm. Close to finishing up Mordor, have a gap between now and Unity coming out, I'm thinking I might grab this as a halloween weekend/week filler. How present is the alien through the campaign? Interested in the atmosphere and exploration, definitely interested in the cat and mouse aspects of the alien ai, but I've read the game is preeetty long. Is the alien ALWAYS active/potential for it to randomly get you, or are there equal portions of puzzle solving and exploring without it around?
It takes a little bit before you see the alien but after its first scripted "visit", it basically makes its presence known throughout. There are some areas where it lets you complete a specific task on hand before showing up again. You constantly hear it in the vents so you need to keep an ear out and there's a tell-tale sound for when it drops down to let you know to HIDE. It'll search around and leave after a while (I'm at chapter 7-8 so things may change later).

Miguel81

It takes a little bit before you see the alien but after its first scripted "visit", it basically makes its presence known throughout. There are some areas where it lets you complete a specific task on hand before showing up again. You constantly hear it in the vents so you need to keep an ear out and there's a tell-tale sound for when it drops down to let you know to HIDE. It'll search around and leave after a while (I'm at chapter 7-8 so things may change later).

Chapter 6 was the most difficult section of the entire game imo. After you receive the flamethrower, it gives you much more leeway in how you can move around/approach objectives.

Finished the game last night, the last couple chapters were fantastic.

I love how things in the game aren't, aside from the first Alien encounter, introduced with a cut-scene. The first time I ran into a room with
two Xenos
I almost quit for the night I was so rattled.

Mugatu

Chapter 6 was the most difficult section of the entire game imo. After you receive the flamethrower, it gives you much more leeway in how you can move around/approach objectives.

When I got the flamethrower it initially "spoiled" the gameplay for me as I started relying on it a lot and found enough ammo to let me do this.
When they took all my weapons away though I freaked out and had to deal with now being much weaker than I was a few moments ago,
a situation that games generally don't handle well but this one did.

When I got the flamethrower it initially "spoiled" the gameplay for me as I started relying on it a lot and found enough ammo to let me do this.
When they took all my weapons away though I freaked out and had to deal with now being much weaker than I was a few moments ago,
a situation that games generally don't handle well but this one did.
I started playing Crew Expendable and even with the flamethrower (I haven't gotten it in the main game yet), it was still terrifying. But that probably has to do with the map and relentless alien.

Thanks for the info man, appreciate it!

saladine1

First off, the visuals, atmosphere, details and audio is absolutely astounding.

I'm not really a "survival horror" guy but damn did this game piss me off so damn much...and enthrall me at the same damn time.

I've never been so nerve wracked before in my life. The sound of the alien moving about in the vents and on the floor really took its toll on me in the end lol. It was exhausting to say the least.
More than the Alien though...those fucking dead eyed Working Joe's. They seriously are terrifying. Their willingness to choke you to death while telling you "we are here to help you" is some truly crazy shit.

I've never felt so much relief from finishing a game as i did with Alien. I'm never playing this shit again lol..

First off, the visuals, atmosphere, details and audio is absolutely astounding.

I'm not really a "survival horror" guy but damn did this game piss me off so damn much...and enthrall me at the same damn time.

I've never been so nerve wracked before in my life. The sound of the alien moving about in the vents and on the floor really took its toll on me in the end lol. It was exhausting to say the least.
More than the Alien though...those fucking dead eyed Working Joe's. They seriously are terrifying. Their willingness to choke you to death while telling you "we are here to help you" is some truly crazy shit.

I've never felt so much relief from finishing a game as i did with Alien. I'm never playing this shit again lol..
That last sentence slayed me lmao. I'm loving the game and the PS4's video capture ability equally as much haha.

Picked this up yesterday and had about 5 hours of pure bliss. I'm in love with the game. It might get tiresome but as soon as the Alien encounters came into play it was so god damn intense. The sound design is absolutely amazing and it's the first game in ages where I have just wondered around, read the lore and looked about properly.

Lakitu

st5fu
Utterly terrifying. My hands are actually sweating, I've had to pause it. The alien is around and I'm just hiding in a locker. Just previously I was in the vent, in pitch black and who do I see running at me? That motherfucker.

Top marks go to the presentation though, sound design and music are phenomenal.

Miguel81

Utterly terrifying. My hands are actually sweating, I've had to pause it. The alien is around and I'm just hiding in a locker. Just previously I was in the vent, in pitch black and who do I see running at me? That motherfucker.

Top marks go to the presentation though, sound design and music are phenomenal.

Gets me every time. Now I know how Capt. Dallas must have felt.

I never did. Why didn't you just douse the bastard?

I couldn't. The game was acting like the vent door was still closed, so whenever I pulled the flamethrower up, she wouldn't aim the damn thing. This is actually the second time this has happened to me in the same vent in two different games.

That sucks. I never came across anything like that.

The one hiccup I came across (it happened 5-6 times) was after scaring off the alien with the flamethrower, he'd pause for just a moment while the AI was trying to determine the closest vent to run to.

Top Bottom