• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

wagamer

This has probably been asked before in the thread, but (includes late-game spoilers)
what's up with the topic title? There's definitely more than one alien, two Ripleys (well I guess this one is arguable) and I swear I heard a meow somewhere during the game.

Its actually a remarkable engine, I mean my PC flogged through it with ease, I am at a point where 30 to 40fps on newer games is usually my limit but this one was no problem. Yet its possibly one of the most visually amazing games I have ever played.

Pretty much. There are plenty of developers who can learn a thing or two from these guys.

Cool. I was going to wait till I got a PS4, but having seen how well it ran on the PS3, I thought screw it. The whole thing oozed atmosphere, even on the old hardware.

Thanks for your help!

No problem. Enjoy your Alien love. Don't shit your pants ;)

Nice. Is that on hard? Seems to take a bit long to get through some of these sections on hard.

Enjoying every second of it though. So intense.

The game is long enough to make you say ''When does it end!?'' according to some on GAF and reviewers so I'd say that 6-7 hours is probably a pretty close estimate.

gunner13

Neo Member
Just scooped up Nostromo Edition for $50. Watching Alien on blu-ray while installing. Last alien game I enjoyed was Alien vs Predator 2 on the PC. I thought that game was pretty scary playing as the Marine.

EGM1966

Just scooped up Nostromo Edition for $50. Watching Alien on blu-ray while installing. Last alien game I enjoyed was Alien vs Predator 2 on the PC. I thought that game was pretty scary playing as the Marine.
Loved AvP2. I hate the mixing of alien and predator but the game was so good I was won over.

Great fun SP and actually terrific MP too - sank huge amount of time into Survivor mode.

The Cowboy

I just love the audio in this game.

I went from TV sound to decent headphones recently and it was quite a jump in atmosphere, but after snagging a shockingly good deal on the headphones and making £50 profit on them (got them for £20, sold them for £70) i finally got enough money for a proper 5.1 surround sound system and well - WOW. At night with the full 5.1 going its pretty dam unnerving hearing the Alien creep around you, and being able to pick out the directions and sounds so clearly its just fantastic.

Hats off to Creative Assembly, they made the game that made me finally get a decent sound system :D.

Well, I beat it late last night after getting the (finally) exhausted trick-or-treating kids to bed.

Hot damn what a final stretch... and game in general.
Up to this point, the most tense I've been playing a game these last probably 10 years had been Condemned: Criminal Origins. A:I topped it in those regards- significantly.
The sense of overall panic and dread from probably about Ch.14 on was almost overwhelming. Just amazing work from, CA.

A few times near the end I had to make some mad dashes. My flame fuel was running dangerously low, molotovs were dwindling, and I'm always wary of tossing pipe bombs (especially if the xeno is close), as I've accidentally suicided that way before. :p
Absolutely heart pounding- especially (Ch.17? 18 maybe)
heading to the airlock and seeing TWO fucking xenos in the comm center. WHAT? I used what little flame I had to nail one, completely lost the other one in the smoke, and just made a mad dash. I must have gotten really lucky, because the other one either didn't see/hear me or I made it to the airlock room just in time. Of course I got the shock-scare once putting the spacesuit on. I thought I had legitimately fucked up and, for the first time, disregarded an open upper vent. Luckily that moment was scripted. :D

I agree that the ending was a bit of a letdown, but in no way did it sour the overall experience. Easily my GOTY as of Nov.1. I really hope SEGA gives CA a sequel.

A few things of note on my entire playthrough:
-no game killing/crashing glitches. The only glitch I ever got was the occasional floating weapon.
-never even used any smoke bombs
-never encountered a xeno in the vents, thank god. I dreaded any time I had to crawl in one.
-a was pleasantly surprised during the end credits to see that Waits was voiced by
William Hope, aka Gorman from ALIENS.
Damnit I knew he sounded familiar! :D

Dysun

5.9?

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/10/03/alien-isolation-review

Ryan McCaffrey reviewed the game...

He complained that it was too difficult, after selecting the hard difficulty out the gate.

Nice, it has the same score as WWE 2K15.
This cemented my view that reviews in general are trash and worthless. Better to watch streams, read fellow forum posters opinions, and go from there
I knew I would like the game from watching streams but I was still hesitant to pick it up after the big 3 sites slammed it for faults that aren't even true

Any thoughts on the Corporate Lockdown DLC? Was debating whether to get the season pass and haven't heard any reviews about the first survival map pack.

This cemented my view that reviews in general are trash and worthless. Better to watch streams, read fellow forum posters opinions, and go from there
I knew I would like the game from watching streams but I was still hesitant to pick it up after the big 3 sites slammed it for faults that aren't even true

It took a Giant Bomb quick look and a Best Friends Machinima video for me to buy Week 1.

Im really glad I did. The atmosphere and limited combat make this survival horror done well in First Person. 5.9 and Mediocre is hardly what I'd call the game. I'd also not play in on Hard the first time around, but hey I'm not a editor at IGN, what do I know.

Dega

Eeny Meenie Penis
It's still downloading the full game. You just have to wait a bit.

I dunno about him but mine still says content not available after a few days. My xbox isn't downloading anything either as I checked its traffic.

I rented it though so I will probably just take it back.

BKliaQL.gif

Get through the fucking vent! Has anyone else had trouble with invisible walls inside vents?

Yes, its the reason i couldn`t get the medikit v2 blueprint. Opened the vent with the plasma torch but the game didnt let me enter the vent. Tried it multiple time at later points too - always the same. No chance to get inside.

This game has a lot of small bugs like this - unfortunately.

Joey Ravn

Banned
Welp, I've been stuck for the past 45 minutes in the same section relatively early in the game:
trying to get the medkit from the medical bay
. I've watched
that Dr.'s video where she says it's her fault the alien is out
, but I can't get past that part. I just don't know how to deal with the alien.

It comes into the room, I wait for it to get out. He's 80 "units" away... then suddenly he rushes back into the room and catches me trying to get back into the locker. Or I'm hiding in a locker and suddenly and without any indication I have to hold my breath to avoid the alien. The first time it caught me by surprise and I got killed. The second time, I manage to hold my breath until it's almost gone... I release the trigger when it's already turning away, and boom! It snaps back into its one-hit-kill animation and I'm done.

I had to stop playing, because the game was becoming annoying. I really, really like this game, so I'll try again once I've come up with a better strategy to tackle this part.

Amir0x

Banned
What a great game, beat it on hard and left wanting more.

Only complaints are that I wasn't too impressed by ending segment and I encountered like four vents that refused to let me enter them, once or twice causing my death.

It comes into the room, I wait for it to get out. He's 80 "units" away... then suddenly he rushes back into the room and catches me trying to get back into the locker. Or I'm hiding in a locker and suddenly and without any indication I have to hold my breath to avoid the alien. The first time it caught me by surprise and I got killed. The second time, I manage to hold my breath until it's almost gone... I release the trigger when it's already turning away, and boom! It snaps back into its one-hit-kill animation and I'm done.

It's better to hide under the bed/gurney in that room since it makes no sound and it's quicker. If you go to the right out of that room and set off the gas pipes then the fire should distract it. Immediately head in the opposite direction when they go off otherwise it will spot you and quickly sprint back around.

Wait, you can hold your breathe in the locker? What button do I press?

Apparently you get a button prompt (left trigger, I think) when the alien is near, but I never noticed it.

Amir0x

Banned
if you don't hold your breath when the alien looks in locker, you're usually fucked hehe

and longer you hold your breath, screen starts to blink red from lack of oxygen

laxu

Welp, I've been stuck for the past 45 minutes in the same section relatively early in the game:
. I've watched

I had to stop playing, because the game was becoming annoying. I really, really like this game, so I'll try again once I've come up with a better strategy to tackle this part.

That is a pretty annoying part especially since the save spot is somewhat far away. Took me several tries to get thru.
Basically hide under the table, hope that the Alien decides to go into the vents then sneak around to the security room via the galley, possibly stopping for some locker action in the hygiene area as that's the next part where the Alien tends to block your path.

I never got that breath holding thing to work. When the game says lean back and hold breath I do both but the screen just starts flashing and the Alien rips open the locker and kills me. Happened in that particular room several times and only hiding under the table seemed to be good distraction. Actually hiding under tables seems to be THE way to hide from what I witnessed thru that level.

It also seems that walking is ok most of the time but running rarely is. So instead of permacrouching it might be better to walk thru sections if the Alien is out on Xenomorph-business.

For me the game tends to sometimes crash when changing levels but fortunately at least for now I've had a save point nearby. If a "previous" save point is nearby I might take a small detour to that. It also seems that the Alien's location resets when loading a save but it definitely has scripted spots (usually related to entering a new area or performing a plot-related action) where it gets very close.

Overall the only thing I dislike is the infuriatingly slow movement speed and I wish wasting a few rounds on the Alien would make it back off in a pinch. It's a bit too much of a "forced stealth" game and I wish they gave the player time to admire the environment in peace.

twobear

sputum-flecked apoplexy
I played quite a bit yesterday, having not played for a while. I was really enjoying it (although I didn't see much of the alien). Then I stepped out of a vent and the alien dropped down immediately in front of me out of a duct and I died immediately.

This game is a real roller coaster of emotions sometimes.

Chaplain

I beat the game last night while recording my play-through. Here it is for those that want to see the last 2 hours of the game.

Alien Final Area - Best HD

Overall, an amazing game that is only held back by polish. Probably my game of the year at this point.

EGM1966

. I've watched

Yah that whole section can be tough. If stuck I'd try hiding under the gurney beds rather than using lockers and being a little bolder moving forward.

Often the Alien zeroes in on you if you stay still or hide to long - but if you move slowly but steadily from hiding spot to hiding spot it seems it wanders more freely.

Also if that's not working try distractions such as throwing a flare.

If you do use lockers I found it best to try and only hide in it once - i.e. Hide then when the Alien moves off get out and move to somewhere else even if it's a bed just 10 feet further on or even another locker.

Settling to the Alien can be tricky as it is unpredictable and it is tempting to hide until it's properly gone - but in truth in levels where its around its never properly gone. You have to take chances when they appear and be willing to risk a reset back to previous save point.

I wasted probably an hour in that level trying to dope out perfect way to anticipate Alien but there isn't one. Once I just tried to get from room to room or hiding spot to hiding spot and took a few small risks it came together for me.

It's a real steep learning curve if you don't click to it right away; I certainly didn't either but if you persist I'm sure you'll get there: worked for me anyway.

One final odd tip : if the Alien seems to be getting you a lot pause the second you know it's got you and load. Don't bother with the kill animation. The sense of cheating the Alien of its kill can be helpful and makes it feel you chose to restart the section. Worked for me when initially the Alien was seemingly chewing my face on a regular basis.

Arkanius

After many weeks of the game being released, I keep thinking about the game and how much I enjoyed it
Nothing is being able to close the gap it left. For me, it was the GOTY of 2014

Finished this last night on normal. Really loved it and hope Creative Assembly get to do a sequel.

I could never play through it a second time though. Way, way too stressful and tense.

Had no problems with the ending or the save points. If it wasn't for the
Flame thrower
I'd probably never have been able to finish it.

Edit: Also never used a single flare, smoke bomb or noise maker. Starting to feel like I may have played it wrong ;) What do the flares even do? Do they scare off the alien?

Completed my 3rd playthrough of the game yesterday, a no-death run to finish up my 1000 GS. Loved every minute of this game, absolutely my GOTY at this point.

A tip for saving flashlight batteries (though it really shouldn't be a problem if you're exploring thoroughly, mine always stayed maxed out like everything else):
Ready the flamethrower when you're in a vent, and it will illuminate it just as well as the flashlight.

So I'm getting ready to a second run grab the apparently masses of stuff I missed first time through including Nostromo logs.

And I have a question or two I'll spoiler for those who've finished the game and may be able to advise:

Basically I'm thinking of blasting through to the beginning of Mission 16 when your torch and hacking device are fully upgraded then backtracking everywhere now that no barriers should be able to stand in my way and I have tools to fend off Alien if I need to vs being fully vulnerable - does this make sense or is there a better time to do so?

Secondly assuming the above does anyone have a view on how much the Alien and other threats continue to pop up if you backtrack? If I have to dodge 'em then fine I guess but I'm hoping that if I go off piste the Alien hunting level will drop back when I go to previously visited areas and won't really pick up again until I continue properly with Mission 16 - any chance this is true?

Any help welcome. Loved the game overall despite some frustrating moments when the unpredictable nature of the Alien AI resulted in me being unavoidably unlucky a few times and I'm keen to try and get all the Nostromo logs without a walk-through or just looking 'em up on the internet.

That is indeed the best time to get them. I didn't have much problem with threats; most of the locked doors are in the beginning sections of areas anyway. I ended up finding all the Nostromo logs on my own, but I did have to use a guide for the last 2 or 3 ID tags.

Finished it this morning. Took 17 hours in total. Overall, I really enjoyed it. Tense as fuck, even a bit scary at times. Atmosphere was of the scale and the Sevastopol deserves to be mentioned alongside Rapture in terms of amazing locations.
The only drawback I found was the last 2 hours or so were a real slog. It had just totally outstayed its welcome by then. I was literally groaning aloud anytime the game was like "but wait! you need to restart this generator in order to restart the other generator!". Overall id go with a high 8/10, definitely the best Alien game ive ever played.

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
This has been my "GOTY" up until I've got to an unbeatable scenario.

I think I've had the Alien kill me about 20+ times in the last 10 mins, for a simple task to accomplish, yet this game won't let me do it. It insists on killing me over and over and over again, with no way to defend myself. No fire left, no molotov's left, no place to hide and even when you scare off the Alien, he comes back in 5 seconds and finishes you off.

Feels like I'm 30 hours into this game, doesn't seem like I will finish now that it won't let me.

I think I've had the Alien kill me about 20+ times in the last 10 mins, for a simple task to accomplish, yet this game won't let me do it. It insists on killing me over and over and over again, with no way to defend myself. No fire left, no molotov's left, no place to hide and even when you scare off the Alien, he comes back in 5 seconds and finishes you off.

Feels like I'm 30 hours into this game, doesn't seem like I will finish now that it won't let me.

what part? maybe we can offer some hints...

justino

Neo Member

The game is absolutely beatable. Chapter 17 was tough I remember. If you've used up all your arsenal it could be tough. I was fully loaded with flamethrower, Molotov and craft-ables. You many need to go back a chapter or two and be more conservative.

Astral

I beat the game twice and both times I happened to miss the medkit upgrade. Getting all the collectibles is pretty tough if you're not playing very close attention. As I was beating the game again today, the game decided to get extremely glitchy on me. At one point I was crawling out of a vent and out of nowhere the alien crawls out right behind me. He wasn't behind me the second before I came out either. It's as if he spawned right as got out of the vent. A few minutes later, I was walking to some corner to see if there was anything I was missing and the alien spots me. I throw a molotov at him and to run away, he runs into the dead end behind me and literally disappears. There was no vent above us. It just disappeared. That shit really killed the immersion. I can see why some people might get frustrated if shit like that kept happening to them.

This game is bad for my heart, lol.

I just got past the first alien encounter but I refused to backtrack towards the first monorail track because it was walking around the room.

Did I miss anything substantial in that area with the access tuner?

clip

This game is bad for my heart, lol.

I just got past the first alien encounter but I refused to backtrack towards the first monorail track because it was walking around the room.

Did I miss anything substantial in that area with the access tuner?

You'll be back there at some point.

Beat this earlier today. A great experience, but not sure if I can say I actually had fun. Maybe that's not a necessity. Though there is no hook to get me playing through it again till down the road. Def a Alien experience though.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
I'm on mission 15 and
that absolute bastard of an alien won't let me open that door
This is the best game I have played in 5 years.

I am in awe of CA

I really wanna know the sales number for this game.

This could do GTA numbers and it still wouldn't be enough.

axb2013

For all of you still in the first playthrough: Savor the game and pace yourselves. Don't rush through it. Despite doing that from the moment I installed it, there is a certain vibe to it that goes away with the first playthrough. I still fire it up once in a while and I do get into it but it's just not the same.

If there are still people on the fence about it, GO BUY IT. It's my GOTY for sure, possibly best movie to game adaptation of all time and I will fight anyone rating this below 7/10. Even the sevens aren't safe around me.

This game is a few weeks old, what's with all of the lttp-esque "I envy you folks playing for the first time" posts? We're well aware of the amazedness within, no need to be talked down to because we didn't start playing at midnight of release. /snark

I'm so bummed I didn't play today, though. If you did, I hope you soaked it in as I wish I could have. =P

Cmerrill

You don't need to be empathetic towards me.
The game is absolutely beatable. Chapter 17 was tough I remember. If you've used up all your arsenal it could be tough. I was fully loaded with flamethrower, Molotov and craft-ables. You many need to go back a chapter or two and be more conservative.

Yeah I finally did it, such a chore. Completely unenjoyable section of the game.

You get to a door, finally think this switch will save you, AND boom, the generator goes out across the hall, with no supplies left, and an Alien that wont fuck off.

Sometimes they just pad the length of this game with unnecessary back tracking and stupid scenarios like this, it's so frustrating.

I have played my fair share of games in the past 20 years. Horror games like Resident Evil and Silent Hill. Terrifying games like Insomnia and that P.T demo.

But there is something about this game that strikes more fear into me then any other I have ever played.

I honestly feel that the presentation of it, coupled with the immense size of the Xenomorph and the superb surround sound, makes it one of the finer horror experiences I have ever witnessed.

The attention to detail the devs put into this gem deserves allot more recognition. If you like survival horror games do not even hesitate to buy it. This alone was worth the full price.

Top Bottom