• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

I wonder why consoles arent at 60 when it seems that even very outdated hardware can play this thing without issue.

Surely even the Xbone could handle this at 60, right? Developer time constraints leading to lack of optimization maybe?

JDHarbs

I wonder why consoles arent at 60 when it seems that even very outdated hardware can play this thing without issue.

Surely even the Xbone could handle this at 60, right? Developer time constraints leading to lack of optimization maybe?
30 fps presents a more cinematic experience which is understandable for a game based on a film. Having the option to choose would've been nice though.

Zomba13

Just want to check, if I grab the version on Steam without the season pass thing do I get the Alien 1 DLC mission(s)? I know it's supposed to be a pre-order bonus and it does mention it as part of the Nostromo Edition but that isn't actually on Steam only Digital Deluxe Edition.

Please don't. Not here.

Haha for real. Let's not.

PxRVeXp.gif

At least the PC version isn't locked to that cinematic experience and it looks like I'll be able to run it at pretty extreme resolutions. Let's crank up that DSR! Oh, and how about Nvidia 3D vision?

That's something. What's the framerate on consoles ?

Feels like 30fps on Xbox One - though cutscenes which seem to be in-game engine drive feel lower as they are much higher quality. Jaggies are the biggest issue that takes me out of the game on the Xbox One version.

That review thread is a disaster. A few average review scores amongst good to excellent ones, and that's all anyone there wants to talk about.

TJP

You would think so but I've heard that the XBO/PS4 versions are both 1080p and 30 fps and I have seen slowdown on the PS4 version in videos when there's steam/smoke onscreen. Maybe Creative Assembly went for parity on the new consoles and that's why the PS4 version is also 30 FPS?
From the CVG review, you may well be correct about the frame rate on the consoles:
Like its extraterrestrial boogie man, Isolation has its ugly side. On a decent PC, hitting and maintaining a locked 60fps isn't an issue. In contrast, the console versions often plummet below their 30 frames target.
It's a blanket statement about consoles which doesn't help. I do find it difficult to believe this couldn't run on the PS4 and Xbox One at 60fps given Metro Redux did 60fps on a mix of high and very high settings with a few options missing..not that I own a PS4 or Xbox One, just a gaming PC.

Quote from: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...st-use-of-a-license-since-arkham-city-review/

Goldenhen

Thanks, I've just retrieved my keys from GMG as well. Hopefully we'll be allowed to pre-load over the weekend. :)

You should able to preload the game once you redeem the key in Steam because I'm preloading the game at the moment. It's 14GB preload data size.

Cudder

If I'm being honest, an 80 overall average is a better score than I thought this game would achieve. Still can't wait to play it. Still hoping a custom sound profile gets released for the Gold PS headset.

Gamestop e-mailed me to say my steam code was good to go.

It wasn't. Hopefully it'll update soon and I can get it preloading. Is the UK release today (he asked as he has a VPN in that country)?

ishibear

is a goddamn bear
That review thread is a disaster. A few average review scores amongst good to excellent ones, and that's all anyone there wants to talk about.

I can't comprehend it either. 3 bad scores somehow invalidates 10+ others giving very positive ones? I'm very perplexed.

Kezen

Banned
From the CVG review, you may well be correct about the frame rate on the consoles:It's a blanket statement about consoles which doesn't help. I do find it difficult to believe this couldn't run on the PS4 and Xbox One at 60fps given Metro Redux did 60fps on a mix of high and very high settings with a few options missing..not that I own a PS4 or Xbox One, just a gaming PC.

Quote from: http://www.computerandvideogames.co...st-use-of-a-license-since-arkham-city-review/

I'm willing to put forward the idea that 30fps really is a design choice. There is no other explanation. Comparable GPUs to both consoles in a less optimized environment can achieve 60fps average if Gamegpu.ru is to be trusted.

Outside of gaming forums I don't think many will lament 30fps on consoles.

what does VHQ mean though? Is this with tesselation and AA?
Gamegpu.ru do not use game specific settings "VHQ" is highest possible settings with AA modes stipulated.

Haha for real. Let's not.

PxRVeXp.gif

At least the PC version isn't locked to that cinematic experience and it looks like I'll be able to run it at pretty extreme resolutions. Let's crank up that DSR! Oh, and how about Nvidia 3D vision?

Hopefully 3D Vision works well, but if not, I'll be very happy to DSR at 4K until at least I get my ROG Swift.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
30 fps presents a more cinematic experience which is understandable for a game based on a film. Having the option to choose would've been nice though.
I hate when people say this. Film framerate and the framerate of a video game are not the same thing. When a dev tells you that they went for 30fps because it's more "cinematic" they're basically calling you an idiot because they know that the majority of people don't know how video game framerates in video games work. If it was up to the developers and every game could maintain very high visual fidelity at 60fps, I guarantee that you wouldn't see that excuse ever come out of a dev's mouth.

Skyzard

Banned
I hate when people say this. Film framerate and the framerate of a video game are not the same thing. When a dev tells you that they went for 30fps because it's more "cinematic" they're basically calling you an idiot because they know that the majority of people don't know how video game framerates in video games work. If it was up to the developers and every game could maintain very high visual fidelity at 60fps, I guarantee that you wouldn't see that excuse ever come out of a dev's mouth.

Fully understand what you are saying but I'm not 100% convinced that there isn't any truth or benefit to it, even though I'd agree what you stated is the case for 95% of games, I think there is SOME merit in a slower framerate for it to feel more epic... I've definitely noticed a different epicness feeling while optimising some games....whether that had to do with the increased graphical options at 30fps (like TXAA in watch dogs, I dunno).

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
This is true, lower framerates in films adds motion blur and gives it a cinematic look.
Video games don't have motion blur by lowering the framerate although it does have a IQ effect it's not the same as film.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Fully understand what you are saying but I'm not 100% convinced that there isn't any truth or benefit to it, even though I'd agree what you stated is the case for 95% of games, I think there is SOME merit in a slower framerate for it to feel more epic... I've definitely noticed a different epicness feeling while optimising some games....whether that had to do with the increased graphical options at 30fps (like TXAA in watch dogs, I dunno).
True, but I draw the line when devs claim that 30fps is there purposefully so that it'll feel more like a film, that's always very insulting imho. Ground Zeroes has some amazing cinematography. And so does Last of Us Remastered. Both 60fps. I'm aware that the devs of Alien never claimed this, but it's still very irritating to see people bring it up as an excuse for this game's framerate.

Ziffles

f7V5GQF.jpg

9YXTp42.jpg

That's something. What's the framerate on consoles ?

Damn, for an in-house engine this is really great. Hopefully a lesser CPU will be able to maintain most of those numbers.

edit: I guess it should, considering the top threshold was 292fps! O_O

TheMoon

Did anyone from EU also preorder at Zavvi? My copy apparently shipped today. I'm curious if they have the same steelbook bonus as amazonUK (which claimed to have it exclusively but then Zavvi also had one for every preorder - gratis).

Kezen

Banned
Damn, for an in-house engine this is really great. Hopefully a lesser CPU will be able to maintain most of those numbers.

edit: I guess it should, considering the top threshold was 292fps! O_O

Yeah even low-end CPUs have no issues and don't seem to bottleneck the GPU. Typically very linear and "corridors" game are GPU bound.

I'm hopeful for Mantle support as well. Creative Assembly were considering it in April :
http://www.dsogaming.com/news/alien-isolation-is-powered-by-a-in-house-engine-will-support-multiple-cpu-cores-mantle-support-possible/

Skyzard

Banned
True, but I draw the line when devs claim that 30fps is there purposefully so that it'll feel more like a film, that's always very insulting imho. Ground Zeroes has some amazing cinematography. And so does Last of Us Remastered. Both 60fps. I'm aware that the devs of Alien never claimed this, but it's still very irritating to see people bring it up as an excuse for this game's framerate.

I would buy that excuse for a point and click game, sure :) Not that that is when it's being used.

It is cheeky when users claim it before experiencing the game though, definitely.

16BitNova

I can't wait for this game! I Usually play the hard difficulty in games, but from what I've read/seen I'm kinda scared to go into this one on hard.

Kezen

Banned
I like how those charts do not have the new 970/980's. I assume those would be well near the top right?

Yes, the 980 would be a bit above the 780ti while the 970 would probably achieve ~15 more fps than a 780.
The game apparently does not use more than 1GB of VRAM.

Verger

Banned
Yes, the 980 would be a bit above the 780ti while the 970 would probably achieve ~15 more fps than a 780.
The game apparently does not use more than 1GB of VRAM.
Wow. Well my upgrade from 560 to 970 is definitely looking worth it just for this game alone (according to the chart the 560 is actually sub 60fps)

I wish I had a PS4 but is the PS3 version pretty competent? I just don't see myself buying a new system for quite some time and I'd hate for the PS3 version to get a shitty port.

TJP

I'm willing to put forward the idea that 30fps really is a design choice. There is no other explanation. Comparable GPUs to both consoles in a less optimized environment can achieve 60fps average if Gamegpu.ru is to be trusted.

Outside of gaming forums I don't think many will lament 30fps on consoles.
GameGPU are a trusted source on Guru3D as I often see their graphs posted on the Guru forums and they don't tolerate too much BS there.

As for 30fps on console; it may be a design choice however the fact there are noticable frame rate dips, as mentioned in the CVG review, on console is very odd given other first person games having no problem running at a consistent frame rate. I do agree that Joe Public won't give a shit that Alien Isobar is running at 30fps.

Glad that Green Man Gaming set the codes early too.

Top Bottom