• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Kezen

Banned
Wow. Well my upgrade from 560 to 970 is definitely looking worth it just for this game alone (according to the chart the 560 is actually sub 60fps)

This game might not 100% justify your upgrade but other heavy hitters surely will. The 970 is a good choice at the moment but AMD are also gearing up.
You could wait for their response and judge afterwards. Q1 2015 is supposedly when AMD R9 300 series will release.

Mask

Any comparisons between PS4 and Xbox One yet?

Have both, but can get this on the Indian Xbox Store for £26, so if the differences are small, I'll just grab it there.

f7V5GQF.jpg

9YXTp42.jpg

That's something. What's the framerate on consoles ?

Hah! A $100 260x runs the game at higher resolution and FPS than next-gen, you know you really fucked up your console.

TJP

Hah! A $100 260x runs the game at higher resolution and FPS than next-gen, you know you really fucked up your console.
Nah, it's just one game that's 'fucked' on console. We PC gamers are lucky that A:I runs like it does but that can't be said for all games that are on both platforms ;)

Kezen

Banned
GameGPU are a trusted source on Guru3D as I often see their graphs posted on the Guru forums and they don't tolerate too much BS there.

As for 30fps on console; it may be a design choice however the fact there are noticable frame rate dips, as mentioned in the CVG review, on console is very odd given other first person games having no problem running at a consistent frame rate. I do agree that Joe Public won't give a shit that Alien Isobar is running at 30fps.

Glad that Green Man Gaming set the codes early too.

I've been reading Gamegpu benchs for a long time and their results have been validated by other outlets but what bothers me is that they don't stipulate what area of the game they benchmark.
Drops on such a game is werid, make no mistake it looks really good but consoles should have no issues with it.

Game is being played live right now on twitch.. Al Hope is commenting.

http://www.twitch.tv/playstation

can anyone explain to me why some people end their sentences with 'kapa' or 'kappa' in stream comments?
I've seen it a few times in different streams and have no idea. Isn't a kappa some kind of Japanese water troll?

As far as this stream: are they playing on EASY?
The Alien in Sterling's video was very aggressive. It appeared to be pretty perceptive. In this stream the Alien doesn't seem to be tied to the player nearly as much and seems to have a more difficult time seeing the player.

Seanspeed

Banned
Word of warning, it seems that game does not have good AA modes. You may need to downsample if you want to eliminate jaggies.
With the performance figures, it looks like there's plenty of room for downsampling. I'll probably try and play it around 1800p or so.

So i'll be trying to live stream this next Tuesday after work, I'll be playing using an oculus rift and vorpx. Im going to try having two streams going at once - one of the game itself, and one of a webcam with my reactions.
Lucky SOB.

Skyzard

Banned
How come Krejlooc will be playing with OR? I thought it wasn't included in the release?

Sucks to promote the game with it and then not include it.

That's so bizarre that even the PS4 isn't 1080p because back in June they stated both were running in 1080p.

Looks like 1080p most of the time, though from the naked eye its hard to tell, cutscenes certainly seem it. Game suffers from loads of aliasing though, as i only have the Xbox One version its hard to know if the PS4 version is any better

MMarston

Was getting caught part of your plan?
I am debating. Should I play this on normal or hard mode?

I'd usually go for normal all the time, whatever a game recommends me. If I feel its too easy a quarter way through, that's usually when I bump it up if possible (or down for the vice versa).

BUT ARE YOU A BAD ENOUGH DUDE?

Seanspeed

Banned
How come Krejlooc will be playing with OR? I thought it wasn't included in the release?

Sucks to promote the game with it and then not include it.
He's using VorpX, which is basically hacked VR support. Typically not nearly as good as official VR support, but sometimes works ok.

And yea, it is a bit of a tease to have VR demos of it and then not have it in the full release. It may come later, though. The game obviously works in VR, so its just a matter of implementing full support and ironing out issues. Performance-wise, it should actually run pretty well, too.

I'd usually go for normal all the time, whatever a game recommends me. If I feel its too easy a quarter way through, that's usually when I bump it up if possible (or down for the vice versa).

I usually go for Normal difficulty as well, but they recommend Hard, and if it somehow makes the game more thrilling/scary, then its probably worth doing that. I know I will.

delta25

Banned

was this really necessary, give me a break.

but ya, I did not expect that kind of performance across the bored out of this game, my i5 3330 and 760 are going to rock this shit.

When the mean VHQ, does this mean the highest presets available in-game or is there an ultra setting?

hlhbk

It's not about being a "bad enough dude". The devs brought the game running on hard mode to all previews and recommended running the game on hard. I just don't know if I can make it through on hard lol.

Nvzman

Wow, way to be a dickhead about it.
The developers said when making the game that the PS4/XB1 versions would look mostly identical, so obviously both consoles may have been held back in some form. Trying to use this as a "lol ps4/xb1 r so weak PC rulez" argument is fucking dumb and is completely missing the point. There's nothing wrong with the PS4 at $400, and as long as it's able to play 90% of its games at 1080p (which IIRC Alien is included) then power clearly isn't the problem.

Mask

Wait, wha?

You can change your Xbox One region to India in the settings then restart the system, buy Alien from the indian store for 2,700 rupees which works out to about £26/27, then swap back to your region and download it from your own store. All the instructions are on HotUKdeals if you search for Alien Isolation, you have to change a few lines in your credit card address to get it to work.

Wait, so I'm hearing both One and PS4 versions aren't running at 1080p? I thought the devs themselves said that the game runs (or would eventually run) at 1080p / 60 frames.

Anyone know?

Verger

Banned
This gif from the kotaku review is great, good to know you have to be careful even when using a computer :D
vdarlf6n2k9gs9svo5ta.gif
Nice. I remember in a lot of old games that these sorts of player-interactions were often considered "safe" spots and that enemies would either ignore the player or be unable to damage them (or the action would pause). Doesn't sound like there are any safe spots in this game. :)

Shin-Ra

Looked at the back of both boxes. Ps4 said 1080i while X1 had no mention. Im guessing X1 version didnt make it.
Game boxes don't describe the game's native resolution. Just compatible TV resolution modes which games don't have any control over.

TJP

I've been reading Gamegpu benchs for a long time and their results have been validated by other outlets but what bothers me is that they don't stipulate what area of the game they benchmark.
Just reading the Guru3D thread and saw that you had over 1,100 posts there...I guess I'm preaching to the converted!

Nemesis_

Does anyone have the game and know where to find the data cell? I'm too scared to go back into the lobby where the people are patrolling but I assume it's where I have to be welp

Does the Derelict from the first film make an appearance in any way? I've always dreamed of a game like this taking place on it, it would be amazing.

Does the Derelict from the first film make an appearance in any way? I've always dreamed of a game like this taking place on it, it would be amazing.

It sounds like the game only takes place on Sevastopol.

Which is fine; A:I2 can take place on a colony w/a derelict.

So this game is pretty much identical on X1, PS4 and PC?

No. By all accounts it runs extremely well on PC meaning you could run it at a higher Framerate and also resolution, which would clean up some of the aliasing. If you have even a modest rig I would suggest picking up the PC version.

hlhbk

f7V5GQF.jpg

9YXTp42.jpg

That's something. What's the framerate on consoles ?

So if I am reading this right is it safe to assume with the specs below I can run the game with everything turned on at 1080p at a constant 60 FPS? If so I will only get the PC version and change my PS4 preorder to NBA 2k15. Also does PC get all of the gamestop exclusive DLC?

Intel Core I7 2600K
Nvidia GTX 670 4 GB
8 GB RAM
Win 7
SSD

Lucent

I guess the GPU is all you need to play games, huh? =/

Anyway, I'm actually surprised this game looks good. I'm definitely gonna at least give this game a rent. Looks like it could give me some of that "oh shit I better run/hide" Outlast feel.

Top Bottom