• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Catdaddy

Take your time, use noisemakers/flares and check your motion tracker all the time.
And pay attention to the sound when the Alien goes to the vents, that gives a few seconds of free path.

Thanks, settled down and made it through. The tight halls made it interesting.

Axial

Just finished the 10th mission.
The lab capsule at the end was one of the most excruciatingly intense moments I had in this game so far. That setpiece design and lighting, the way the final confrontation came together, it all reminded me so much of the ending of the original film. Waiting for the airlock to pressurize and meanwhile keeping the Xeno at distance with the flamethrower gave me an adrenaline rush which I haven't experienced in a game for a long time. Hope there's more moments like that in the game.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Just finished the 10th mission.
The lab capsule at the end was one of the most excruciatingly intense moments I had in this game so far. That setpiece design and lighting, the way the final confrontation came together, it all reminded me so much of the ending of the original film. Waiting for the airlock to pressurize and meanwhile keeping the Xeno at distance with the flamethrower gave me an adrenaline rush which I haven't experienced in a game for a long time. Hope there's more moments like that in the game.

This was one of my favourite moments too. There are similarly impressive (yet different) moments to come. :)

ElTopo

Banned
AVP 2010 has an okay single player experience. The Predator and Marine campaigns are pretty good. Multiplayer was broken garbage.

Dmax3901

So I've just reached the first combat/stealth area. Some woman is banging on a door then turns around and sees me (even if I enter the room with stealth) shoots at me then runs away to get her friends. I'm dying a lot, it seems very unfair.

Any tips?

So I've just reached the first combat/stealth area. Some woman is banging on a door then turns around and sees me (even if I enter the room with stealth) shoots at me then runs away to get her friends. I'm dying a lot, it seems very unfair.

Any tips?

I turned around, went right, proceeded to flank the enemy and killed them all with the wrench. You could also just run out of the room.
I didn't think it was difficult.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

Any tips?

head up the stairs *away from* the direction they're heading. If you sneak around the back of the upper level, through the office, you can make it out the door without them ever seeing you. They won't follow you into the next room.

Well, the save system wouldn't be a problem if the alien didn't consistently slingshot back to the player, slowing your progression to a crawl. It happens frequently, and thanks to major pacing problems early on, a lot of people are going to find the initial encounters with the alien frustrating for all the wrong reasons. The medical bay is a nightmare because you have to repeat the same section again and again, unless you're a savant.

The alien seems to be able to jump to wherever the player is. The only safe way forward is to sneak into a room and wait in a closet or under a gurney until it leaves, then proceed to the next room on the way to your objective and repeat the process. If you walk under a vent with saliva dripping down, you'll get insta-killed, but if sneak past it, the alien teleports ahead. If it actually traveled there through the environment I wouldn't mind but it cheats.

The rules aren't consistent. The alien doesn't react to human npcs with the same intensity. There will be like 3 of them yelling about a trespasser in the area and the alien won't make a peep, but when Ripley silently sneaks down a hallway using cover, shelter and darkness it will rush to you as if you were making a racket. I've even seen the alien run away from their gunfire. It's never done that with me! Any item that can be used as a distraction just puts it on alert, punishing the player and increasing the likelihood of being discovered.

Such a shame, too. The production values are first-rate and it's probably the best looking game environment I've ever experienced. Sega and Creative Assembly deserve major props for taking risks with Isolation.

This post just killed any interest I had in the game. I was afraid of this type of "rubber-band" AI...honestly though I'm not sure how else you could pull it off. In theory once you get ahead of the alien and close a couple of doors you should be home free.

shiba5

Any tips?

You have to sort of do this stretch without saving because if you save after they come back and they kill you, you get stuck in a room with them already patrolling. So after the initial encounter where she shoots and runs off, you can explore as long as you want as long as you don't walk up to where the tuner is. Once you pick up the tuner, head up the stairs opposite them and work your way around the room to the door in the back. You can also you the retire system to makes distractions although I didn't do this.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
This post just killed any interest I had in the game. I was afraid of this type of "rubber-band" AI...honestly though I'm not sure how else you could pull it off. In theory once you get ahead of the alien and close a couple of doors you should be home free.

It should be noted that some of the text in that account isn't actually true, especially re: the general game loop. There are times when the alien is particularly aggressive, but they're specific scenarios, not the norm.

Mr. Tibbs

It should be noted that some of the text in that account isn't actually true, especially re: the general game loop. There are times when the alien is particularly aggressive, but they're specific scenarios, not the norm.

When I posted it (copied it from an earlier post I made just after chapter 6), I wasn't aware that only happened in specific "high-tension" moments. I would, however, disagree that they make for enjoyable gameplay scenarios regardless. The alien absolutely snaps to you, no matter how sneaky you are. If you ghost a section and manage to move forward, the alien will catch up to you in no time.

Some people might love this but it breaks the immersion for me. Different strokes for different folks, and all that.

Zomba13

Just want to throw my experiences out there. I'm on Chapter 15 right now I think. Playing on Normal.

I've not really had any cheap deaths apart from one where the Alien literally came out of the floor due to it glitching out (like he rose out of the ground like it was water). Every other death has been me either getting timing wrong going for a door or switch or not being able to run/hide from it after getting it's attention. People who complain about it dropping from vents and killing you are making the classic mistake made in every horror movie where something is in the vents. If it's dripping assume it's there and go around if you can or at least not directly under it. First time it happened to me I was all "wtf!?" but then realised what I thought was water dripping was actually slobber and of course it would come down and get me. Then I was extra careful of vents and fully avoided any drippings.

I've not really had any problem getting around with the Alien there nor with the save system. Sometimes you might have to double back to get to a save point or brave the unknown and see if you come across one but that is part of the Survival Horror experience. If you do mess up a save (as in save when the alien is in the room with you) then you can always roll back to the one before it (Load Previous save instead of Current). I've not needed to and saved a few times with hostiles "near".

With the Alien just take it slow and be aware of it. Watch your motion tracker, keep an ear out for the sound of hissing and vent knocking. Keep an eye out for lockers, desks and other things to hide in or behind in case he pops out a vent in a room you're in.

When dealing with hostile humans and the Alien is about try and get them to make enough noise to draw it out and get killed or even try throwing a noise maker into them. It can be enough to draw the Alien down and once it sees some nice humans it'll go to town on them and any that run away will most likely shoot at it a bit and draw it's ire and end up dead too. It will ignore androids though (they are synthetic and prove no threat to it so of course it'll leave them).

Squishy3

Hiding in the lockers and holding your breath to hide from the alien/androids seems iffy. Died and lost like half an hour's worth of progress because she stopped holding her breath right as it was pulling away and it opened it and killed me.

Lime

Dead End Thrills have made it possible to timestop the game and has taken some amazing shots:

killeralt2fpul.png

mrperfecthdpg1.png

enterthedragontfq4d.png

I can't believe that in-game.

Haven't been following this thread since the game launched. What's the general opinions? I'm hoping to grab it in a few weeks. Good points and bad? I'll be getting it for ps4

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Haven't been following this thread since the game launched. What's the general opinions? I'm hoping to grab it in a few weeks. Good points and bad? I'll be getting it for ps4

You'll find varying opinions, but for my money it's one of the most interesting games I've played in a while. It's a stressful game, so if horror and dread and all that in media isn't your cup of tea, be wary.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Also, this might be the first game I've played where I think I can say the presentation is literally perfect. I absolutely love that 70s industrial sci-fi vibe and it is flawless here.

You'll find varying opinions, but for my money it's one of the most interesting games I've played in a while. It's a stressful game, so if horror and dread and all that in media isn't your cup of tea, be wary.

I'm a big fan of Alien and love shitting my pants, so I'm sure I'll enjoy it!

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Also, this might be the first game I've played where I think I can say the presentation is literally perfect. I absolutely love that 70s industrial sci-fi vibe and it is flawless here.

Wait until you see some of the later areas in the game. It's just... yeah.

Just a shame there is so much aliasing even at 2880x1620, but they really did completely nail the atmosphere.

Lime

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this game needs an award for its art (and sound) directed - its nothing short of stunning.

I mean good lord at the detail in the 3rd picture, its crazy how good the alien looks.

It's insane. It's literally magic. I can't believe it. it's looks that good.

shiba5

Only negative thing I can think of are the clunky cutscenes and terrible lip sync (even on the PC version). I also thought it overstayed its welcome the last few missions imho.
Pros: It's Alien: The Movie - except you're in it. The attention to detail, the atmosphere, the fan service, the sound design is all fantastic. I think CA knocked it out of the park.

Yeah it's literally faultless. It's incredibly consistent too both visually and audio wise

ElTopo

Banned
It's easily one of the best looking games in a very, very long time. And keep in mind that at the end of the day, this is a licensed game and it's this fucking good.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
It's insane to me that the last game the director, Alistair Hope, worked on was Viking Battle of Asguard, as art director. Before that, Total War.

There isn't a moby games page for this game yet, I wonder whether the rest of the team were CA/Total War vets or new hires.

The one annoying thing about the Alien that I've noticed is when he attacks you there's a ton of ghosting around his shell. Not sure if it's the AA they're using or what.

Thanati

I just played it in the Rift at a friend's house. Holy crap!! Amazing!!

Scared the crap out of me though. First time for a game to do that, ever! :)

It's insane to me that the last game the director, Alistair Hope, worked on was Viking Battle of Asguard, as art director. Before that, Total War.

There isn't a moby games page for this game yet, I wonder whether the rest of the team were CA/Total War vets or new hires.

Honestly I didn't think they'd pull it off given their past games, but man they proved me completely wrong.

Best Alien game ever I'd say and one of the best adaptions of another franchise to game ever too

TK Turk

Banned
Sometimes the alien jumps away into vents and other times it seems like he sticks around....forever. Is this based on the level/location you are in?

I am loving this game.

I wish more survival horror games were made in first person. I'd kill for a first person Resident Evil inspired by this game. I know there were some first person REs made, but they're all crap and don't really execute nearly as well as even mediocre fps titles. But I could see RE working with this style of gameplay, especially the whole aim system and stealth aspects.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Sometimes the alien jumps away into vents and other times it seems like he sticks around....forever. Is this based on the level/location you are in?

He hangs around forever the first time you meet him and I think that's it.

Razorback

You know when you look out a window you see a huge piece of debris flying in front of the sun? And 5 seconds later an exact copy of that debris passes in front of the sun again with the same animation. And then another, on an infinite loop.

If anyone from Creative Assembly is reading this, I want you to know that I noticed. That moment of looking out the window: ruined.

Immersion killed.

Still love your game, but shame on you.

ElTopo

Banned
Just a thought: what if the future of the Alien and Predator franchises are video games? When you get to something that looks so life-like and a pretty decent story, could this be the next step for these franchises?

God we need a good Predator game. Either a game where you play as a Predator (a good version of Concrete Jungle) or a game based on the first Predator where you are an ultimate badass and you have to survive the Predator hunting you down.

The Cowboy

You know when you look out a window you see a huge piece of debris flying in front of the sun? And 5 seconds later an exact copy of that debris passes in front of the sun again with the same animation. And then another, on an infinite loop.
Its orbiting (very quickly) the station :D.

Chiggs

Gold Member
It's a great game, no doubt about it. But I'm going to bring Shinji Mikami up again, just because he used a quote that fits where I think Isolation goes wrong. He said something along the lines of RE's zombies being comforting, because you know what you have to deal with, whereas the absence of a foe heightens fear because you don't know what's coming next. Likewise, the Alien is pretty easy to handle, especially once you have the flamethrower or a Molotov or two, it's just that there's too much of him, which diminishes his appearances. The two times I was most terrified of him were his first realtime appreance in
Medical
, and
his return afer a long absence in the nest
. I think Isolation could have cut out the Alien's appearances by as much as 50% and resulted in a much better game, and I wish CA would have had a bit more courage to create a game with less confrontation and more of a slow-burn adventure aspect than they did. One of those cases where I think less would definitely be more. That said, the courage they've shown in creating a game such as Isolation in 2014, and Sega for backing it, is something to be applauded. I'm looking forward to playing through it again already.

There's no doubt that the
medical missions
are the most terrifying in the game. I agree with your point: less is more.

Edit: Also, the first 1.5 hours of this game are brilliant. A complete slow burn.

Dmax3901

Thanks for the tips guys, got passed that section, very simple in the end.

I am really enjoying this game, as already stated it looks phenomenal, the lighting in particular is constantly making my jaw drop. I anticipate getting very frustrated with the lack of a quick save at some point, but I'll deal with that when it happens.

Another question: is there a holster button? I wanna stop walking around with a med kit in my hand.

Top Bottom