• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

The Cowboy

Another question: is there a holster button? I wanna stop walking around with a med kit in my hand.
Unfortunately not, you have to wait until you get the revolver - at that point you just equip it and it appears as though nothing is in your hand until you aim with it.

Neff

People who complain about it dropping from vents and killing you are making the classic mistake made in every horror movie where something is in the vents. If it's dripping assume it's there and go around if you can or at least not directly under it. First time it happened to me I was all "wtf!?" but then realised what I thought was water dripping was actually slobber and of course it would come down and get me. Then I was extra careful of vents and fully avoided any drippings.

I find that the telltale slobber is infrequent, not sustained. And that the Alien has the inexplicable ability to appear in rooms and corridors with no way in other than the one I was watching like hawk. Or to drop down besides me out of a vent with no time to hide or counterattack, despite my motion tracker claiming that all around me was still. There's lots of Alien-related bullshit in the game, in fact most of the game's failings relate to the eponymous creature, but as I've said, I think it's a small price to pay to participate in this sublimely-recreated world.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
I am in chapter 6. I don't think the game is perfect but I'm so glad I bought it. Just happy it isn't another open world tower climbing game, lol.

I've said it before and I'll say it again, this game needs an award for its art (and sound) directed - its nothing short of stunning.

I mean good lord at the detail in the 3rd picture, its crazy how good the alien looks.

This game should clearly win Best Graphics award for 2014. The quality of the lighting and shading is unmatched.

Chiggs

Gold Member
The Alien is so beautifully realized...but I think the chin is slightly too big in the game version. Slightly.

p2fb.jpg

q2fb.png

Also, I hope the future DLC allows me to control Veronica Cartwright so I can sob uncontrollably and say things like OOOHHHH GAAWWWWD until I'm ripped out of a locker and killed.

Nemesis_

They're both drones, but they also both came from different hosts so any variances in appearance aren't that unlikely.... >_>

I think the legs of the Isolation drone are much more different to Kane's son.

Verger

Banned
Yeah, so I hit the huge wall in Chapter 5 that everyone was talking about. I thought I could figure out the layout of the medical wing so that I could plan ahead accordingly for the Alien's inevitable appearance. But man the keycard hunting quest just goes on into locked areas you cannot plan for.

I did manage to at least figure out I can run past his slow appearance out of the vent and get past the first locked door. But man does he catch up fast and the wing is so enclosed you have no idea which hallway he'll go down. It's clear that hiding in lockers is definitely not something to do for a long time because he'll eventually figure it out. I have noisemakers but the space it too enclosed for them to be of any use

I've definitely died a dozen times at least by now. Ill keep trying but may have to lower the difficulty to medium for this and the next chapter (I hear its just as punishing).

You know when you look out a window you see a huge piece of debris flying in front of the sun? And 5 seconds later an exact copy of that debris passes in front of the sun again with the same animation. And then another, on an infinite loop.

If anyone from Creative Assembly is reading this, I want you to know that I noticed. That moment of looking out the window: ruined.

Immersion killed.

Still love your game, but shame on you.

Yeah I noticed that too.

It's odd they'd leave in such a thing when clearly you're drawn to the window and are gonna look out of it when you get to that area cos it's the first time you see outside properly and when such care has been taken with the rest of the game

Not THAT big a deal or anything but just curious

Yeah, so I hit the huge wall in Chapter 5 that everyone was talking about. I thought I could figure out the layout of the medical wing so that I could plan ahead accordingly for the Alien's inevitable appearance. But man the keycard hunting quest just goes on into locked areas you cannot plan for.

I did manage to at least figure out I can run past his slow appearance out of the vent and get past the first locked door. But man does he catch up fast and the wing is so enclosed you have no idea which hallway he'll go down. It's clear that hiding in lockers is definitely not something to do for a long time because he'll eventually figure it out. I have noisemakers but the space it too enclosed for them to be of any use

I've definitely died a dozen times at least by now. Ill keep trying but may have to lower the difficulty to medium for this and the next chapter (I hear its just as punishing).

Yeah that section is poor. The only time the game has stopped my progress dead for a while. Everything after that flowed nicely

Chiggs

Gold Member

I actually felt the next chapter is worse. Especially since there are entire stretches of hallways that are fully lit. It's tough, but you get a nice breather after you're done.

Just keep at it.

shiba5

They're both drones, but they also both came from different hosts so any variances in appearance aren't that unlikely.... >_>

Which I'm thankful for since Alien was so obviously a dude in a suit. It looks like the legs are modeled like the Alien Resurrection Xeno.

They're essentially the Resurrection Alien legs, which doesn't bother me much. Which shiba5 kindly beat me to. :)
For those that pre-ordered from Gamestop, did your code give you the DLC yet?

No sign of it in my copy...

I downloaded it and have the option in the main menu, but I haven't tried either it or Crew Expendable to see if it 'unlocked' or is actually there.

Wait are the synthetic guys in
the hazmat kind of suits in Chapter 12 immune to everything? cos I threw everything at them and nothing and your guns are confiscated

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
the hazmat kind of suits in Chapter 12 immune to everything? cos I threw everything at them and nothing and your guns are confiscated

they're much stronger, but they can be taken down with enough punishment

two pipe-bombs took them out for me

ElTopo

Banned
One Pipebomb and one Molotov for me.

The terminal where they camp has a utility that can kill them. It's hard to do though.

shiba5

Pipe bombs which were already mentioned. You can also use the computer in each one of those server rack rooms to kill them. One you can prime and then hit a button that will send a jet of something that kills them. Look up and see the vent. When the android is under it, hit the button. In the other room, you can use the computer to electrify the floor briefly. I threw a noisemaker in the corner and when they investigated, zapped them. I got three at once that way.

Zomba13

Just finished it. Wow. Just a fantastic game all around. Really nails the Alien aesthetic and atmosphere. So far the worst has been the ending credits music with
an otherwise nice and fitting piece but with random samples of Ripley from Alien. Like, it was just really weird.

Gonna give the survival challenges a look through tomorrow.

Syder

I got stuck at the first encounter with humans where you pick up the hacking tool but once I got past that and
encountered the Alien properly
for the first time I was hooked. Only to be pleasantly surprised again when I bumped into
the System Shock style Synthetics with their mild-mannered attitudes

Man, this game is GORGEOUS. It's the Alien game we've deserved for a long time.

MattyG

Banned
Just finished. HOOOOOOOOOOOLY SHIT.
Seems like they intentionally set it up for a sequel, which I am A OKAY with. For a minute though I thought she didn't make it to the ship and just crashed into Jupiter with Sevastapol. I really hope we get more Alien fromega Creative Assembly, because that was awesome. There wasn't any after credits things I missed, we're there?

Also, got my hard difficulay achievement and my no human kills one. All I'm missing are collectibles and a coutlet other ones here or there.

Neff

One
Bolt Gun round to the head at medium range
will kill them. Otherwise, they basically sponge up twice as much as anything you'd throw at a normal synthetic.

One Pipebomb and one Molotov for me.

The terminal where they camp has a utility that can kill them. It's hard to do though.
I used that on my first run through the area, but then I found out
I had to go back and that more Joes spawned in
So I'm gonna sneak through, use a noisemaker to get them on the other end of the room, then kill 'em the easy way.

Did I miss the bolt gun somewhere, btw? Or is it after the part in Mission 13 with
the business in the Apollo server rooms?

LowParry

Wife's currently try to figure out the first...or second human encounter? Some cheap ass shit with this. She's resorting so far to beating the humans up with her trusty wrench.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Through chapters 5 and 6. I honestly didn't think they were that hard. I'm only on normal. The alien's appearance is random sometimes and that can be annoying. I also failed to notice drool twice and died TWICE on the last stretch of chapter 6 (very irritating). But I don't think I ever got frustrated enough to stop.

Zomba13

Wife's currently try to figure out the first...or second human encounter? Some cheap ass shit with this. She's resorting so far to beating the humans up with her trusty wrench.

The first Human encounter in the game is the worst encounter in the game. Very frustrating and just bad. Easiest way to do it is to trigger the first woman, explore and collect stuff, pick up the hacking tool and move immediately to the box on the side they are coming from (up the stairs). hide there, they will go right past you, go further back and wait for the last guy to turn around, go to the stairwell and go down stairs.

JBourne

maybe tomorrow it rains
I came so close to finishing Scimed Tower without dying. Then I saw a vent open in front of me. I had nowhere to hide. I stood in a fucking corner, hoping he just wouldn't turn around.

Hoping got me nowhere.

Enjoying the game so far, they really nailed the look. The sound design is pretty incredible as well. Just made it to medical and I have to ask: Is there any way to get the Alien to take a powder for a while? Maybe it's been mentioned earlier in the thread and I missed it. It seems like once he's up in my grille, or comes into a room where I'm hiding, he leaves and enters the same room where I'm hiding forever until he eventually gets me. It's to the point where, if I end up hiding in a locker I almost want to just load a save and try to beeline it to the objective in a crouch walk, that's how I've made it as far as I have
(just got the keycard and saw the dead wheelchair dude)
. It's a weird way to play, but when I do that and don't look back I tend to get further.

Salz01

So, I never found the med kit plan. And I'm well half way through it. So now I have a sliver of health and can't heal. Is it possible to find a med kit plan? Or can I finish the game with never really healing?

Ric Flair

Banned
So, I never found the med kit plan. And I'm well half way through it. So now I have a sliver of health and can't heal. Is it possible to find a med kit plan? Or can I finish the game with never really healing?

holy fuck, how did you make it that far?

Questions:

On Easy does the Shotgun scare away or kill the Alien?

What effect does the Bolt Gun have on the Alien? I never got the chance to use it right. I doubt it could kill but I'm curious if that scares them away.

Both cause it to flinch, neither scare it away.

Salz01

holy fuck, how did you make it that far?

Well I get one shoted by humans and working joes just hit me once and I'm down. I basically run around them or sucker the humans into a corner. I thought everybody has to do this. I see what looks like medical cases on some walls and keep thinking I have to push some button to get them to drop a healing pill or something.

Where is this med kit plan? Can I go back somehow and get it? I'm way past medical chapter.

Verger

Banned
I actually felt the next chapter is worse. Especially since there are entire stretches of hallways that are fully lit. It's tough, but you get a nice breather after you're done.

Just keep at it.
I almost laughed when I went looking for the keycard and thought I was about to find it, but instead of finding it, I found where I think I may find it. Very cruel design.

I wish these gizmos I'm constructing were useful. But I don't see how noisemakers are useful in this situation, or pipe or smoke bombs.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
Well I get one shoted by humans and working joes just hit me once and I'm down. I basically run around them or sucker the humans into a corner. I thought everybody has to do this. I see what looks like medical cases on some walls and keep thinking I have to push some button to get them to drop a healing pill or something.

Where is this med kit plan? Can I go back somehow and get it? I'm way past medical chapter.
it's way back in the first few areas of the game. I forget specifically where. I didn't realise you could even skip it!

MattyG

Banned
ENDING SPOILERS:
Did anyone else think that Ripley was going to have a chestburster come out of her at the end? When she got dragged away and stuck to the wall, it went black and there was some muffled noise, so I thought it was implying that she had a facehugger on her for a bit. Maybe she did and that will be the sequel. She gets picked up by a ship and the chestburster comes out and BOOM we've got ourselves a sequel people!

Beat Chapter 5 on hard without dying...that took /hours/. First time through but it was seriously two days of playing.

Got to six, died my first time to the xeno. Rat bastard heard me release my breath or something. Try again tomorrow.

Zomba13

ENDING SPOILERS:
Did anyone else think that Ripley was going to have a chestburster come out of her at the end? When she got dragged away and stuck to the wall, it went black and there was some muffled noise, so I thought it was implying that she had a facehugger on her for a bit. Maybe she did and that will be the sequel. She gets picked up by a ship and the chestburster comes out and BOOM we've got ourselves a sequel people!

ENDING SPOLIERS:
I kinda thought it'd happen and she'd get to the Torrens and complain of pains and be all :O and then they'd lock her down in hyper sleep to get it removed at a later date or something as a potential sequel thing (gets taken to a Wayland-Yutani base of some kind,basically Alien Resurrection but good) but that didn't happen and she lives for quite a while longer according to Aliens.

God-fucking-dammit.

I have died about 25 times trying to plasma torch my way into the room that calls the droid out. after taking the elevator up halfway through mission 10. The alien is out and about and regardless what I do, the fucker drops out of 2 out of every three vents and gets me either in the middle of torching the door, or just flat out gets me. I am beyond frustrated right now.

God-fucking-dammit.

I have died about 25 times trying to plasma torch my way into the room that calls the droid out. after taking the elevator up halfway through mission 12. The alien is out and about and regardless what I do, the fucker drops out of 2 out of every three vents and gets me either in the middle of torching the door, or just flat out gets me. I am beyond frustrated right now.
I pretty much just waited until right after he jumped back into the vents, then ran over and used the torch, which then gave me about 15 seconds to get into the room and hide again.

MattyG

Banned
ENDING SPOLIERS:
I kinda thought it'd happen and she'd get to the Torrens and complain of pains and be all :O and then they'd lock her down in hyper sleep to get it removed at a later date or something as a potential sequel thing (gets taken to a Wayland-Yutani base of some kind,basically Alien Resurrection but good) but that didn't happen and she lives for quite a while longer according to Aliens.
ENDING SPOILERS:
Yeah, that makes sense that she wouldn't die if that was ACTUALLY her in the picture in Aliens. For a bit there I was leaning towards believing the theory about that being a Weyland-Yutani coverup for what happened on the Sevastapol though.

Unrelated note, did anyone else catch the Ash reference?

Both times I've managed to get the fucking door torched open, guess who dropped out of the vent RIGHT on the other side of the door.

I'm gonna try it again in 10 minutes, because I'm having a hard time putting this game down, but motherFUCKER this is the most frustrated I've been with the game.

I'm also absolutely not scared of this thing anymore, either. Although
the flamethrower's made that more of a thing than all these deaths.

Top Bottom