• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Isolation |OT| 1 Alien. 1 Ripley. No Jonesy.

Both times I've managed to get the fucking door torched open, guess who dropped out of the vent RIGHT on the other side of the door.

I'm gonna try it again in 10 minutes, because I'm having a hard time putting this game down, but motherFUCKER this is the most frustrated I've been with the game.

I'm also absolutely not scared of this thing anymore, either. Although
the flamethrower's made that more of a thing than all these deaths.
If he hops down in front of you don't be afraid to torch him and make him back off. That is, unless
he's stopped responding to the flamethrower.

shiba5

Both times I've managed to get the fucking door torched open, guess who dropped out of the vent RIGHT on the other side of the door.

I'm gonna try it again in 10 minutes, because I'm having a hard time putting this game down, but motherFUCKER this is the most frustrated I've been with the game.

I'm also absolutely not scared of this thing anymore, either. Although
the flamethrower's made that more of a thing than all these deaths.

Torch his ass. It's very satisfying.

Wait, he's not leaving you alone for a bit after you fry him? Usually if I got him twice in a row, he'd stay up in the vent for at least long enough for me to do what I needed to do. (I played on normal.)

Torch his ass. It's very satisfying.

Wait, he's not leaving you alone for a bit after you fry him? Usually if I got him twice in a row, he'd stay up in the vent for at least long enough for me to do what I needed to do.
If you torch him too much/at all he starts getting really aggressive and comes down more often.

shiba5

If you torch him too much/at all he starts getting really aggressive and comes down more often.

Is that on hard? Because that would be frustrating.
I had to torch him quite a few times during the last part of the game, and while he'd still try to come at me, if I nailed him real good he'd go back in the vent and sulk for a bit. I played through on normal.

frontovik

Banned
ENDING SPOILERS:
Did anyone else think that Ripley was going to have a chestburster come out of her at the end? When she got dragged away and stuck to the wall, it went black and there was some muffled noise, so I thought it was implying that she had a facehugger on her for a bit. Maybe she did and that will be the sequel. She gets picked up by a ship and the chestburster comes out and BOOM we've got ourselves a sequel people!

Ending Spoilers
I thought so as well, but there are several reasons that infers she is not a victim:

- there is no dead facehugger in the room.

- the squishing sound is just her being immobilised to the wall by the Alien.

- she would've been unconscious for a few hours with a facehugger. however, she would've died during that time since the station was rapidly destabilizing and was about to plummet into the planet

- she still needed time to escape from Sevastopol, free the Torrens on the space platform, and get to the ship. A chestburster could have came out of her during that time.

If there is to be a sequel; the Alien could have captured Verlaine, as it would explain why she did not respond to Ripley. Or any of the facehuggers on the Sevastopol might have got onboard the Torrens and found Verlaine as well.

Varna

Any advice on avoiding IT? I'm in the
medical
area and I don't know if the AI is just being cheap but the damn thing follows me in every damn room and it's making any progress so incredibly slow. Flares and noise makers only seem to distract for a few seconds.

Like just now... I investigate a room. He follows me in there.. I hide, avoid detection... as I am leaving he is coming back for me.

Is that on hard? Because that would be frustrating.
I had to torch him quite a few times during the last part of the game, and while he'd still try to come at me, if I nailed him real good he'd go back in the vent and sulk for a bit. I played through on normal.
Happened to me on medium and on hard. If you flame him enough he stops being scared of it, to boot.

Beat Chapter 5 on hard without dying...that took /hours/. First time through but it was seriously two days of playing.

Got to six, died my first time to the xeno. Rat bastard heard me release my breath or something. Try again tomorrow.

I'm dying over and over again in the stretch following
activating the evac procedures
in Ch. 6. Most my fault for missing a vent, but a couple of times muncher teleports out to the other side of a door.

Edit: Hold breath and lean back haven't been working the past few times either, though the first I'm pretty sure she was playing with me by not immediately ripping me out when peering in since I jumped in right by her.

LowParry

So finally beat the technical room mayhem. I don't think I've ever seen someone fumble with entering in those codes in like...any game. I timed it. Close to ten minutes of frustrations and almost tears watching the code get entered in wrong over and over again. I should of recorded this and sent this to the devs of what kind of wrecking emotion they can put in someone with this game. The saga will continue tomorrow!

shiba5

Any advice on avoiding IT? I'm in the
medical
area and I don't know if the AI is just being cheap but the damn thing follows me in every damn room and it's making any progress so incredibly slow. Flares and noise makers only seem to distract for a few seconds.

Like just now... I investigate a room. He follows me in there.. I hide, avoid detection... as I am leaving he is coming back for me.

Don't hide in the lockers. It seems to just zero in on them and will keep coming back to check until it finds you. Keep moving.
Also, he will go up in the ceiling sometimes, that's your cue to walk normally toward the objective. Just watch out for ceiling vents.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Everyone that is having problems with the Alien, regardless of what mission: are you crouching at all times?

I'm on mission 10 and I have died 4 times; 2 from the Alien and two from those robots.

Running is the absolute worst thing you can do and should only be done if the Alien is 20 yards or so away and you know for sure if a hiding spot that is concealed from its sight is nearby.

Also, use the noisemakers--throw them down a long hallway and move immediately from cover as it rushes by. I think some of you might be making this hard for yourself as you are sitting around in cover waiting for that perfect moment.

There are no perfect moments, period. Just moments of decent opportunity.

I feel like this game rewards the player who is always on the move, which is exactly what the Alien does.

JRW

I'm having horrible luck with mission 5, I get the pass code and find dr morley's keycard but the Alien is just always around the corner from that point on.

Carm

Happened to me on medium and on hard. If you flame him enough he stops being scared of it, to boot.

Yea, I dunno about that really, unless it takes way more light up attempts. I was logging off to eat earlier in the day, I decided to test that. I dropped 600 fuel on it over multiple appearances. Ran like a bitch every time, can't speak to if it drops from vents more often because of it though. I was in an area where it doesn't stay in vents for more than a few moments.

That goes for hiding in lockers too. Only time, I've died from hiding in lockers is when I didn't hold my breath. Makes me wonder if there is a placebo going with it really "learning" in some peoples games or not. Besides an area in Mission 10, which I finished earlier, the Alien has been pretty predictable and exploitable. Server room in 10 it was extremely aggressive though, which I'm guessing it's scripted to be so.

Also, Mission 10 is extremely long compared to the previous ones, I think I'm almost done though.

Edit: I did have it the first time where I lit it on fire and I had thought it was gone and the "cutscene" kill for me played and I died. I'm thinking I blasted too late though on that one, just have to fire earlier.

Yea, I dunno about that really, unless it takes way more light up attempts. I was logging off to eat earlier in the day, I decided to test that. I dropped 600 fuel on it over multiple appearances. Ran like a bitch every time, can't speak to if it drops from vents more often because of it though. I was in an area where it doesn't stay in vents for more than a few moments.
Yeah, I dunno how much of it was the section I was in or what. But he did rush through the flames after getting blasted quite a bit throughout the stage and killed me a couple times. Towards the end he was jumping down right in front of me when he could rather than somewhere nearby so I really didn't have much choice.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member

As far as I can tell, it costs more fuel every time to scare him away. He seems to reset between levels.

Varna

Don't hide in the lockers. It seems to just zero in on them and will keep coming back to check until it finds you. Keep moving.
Also, he will go up in the ceiling sometimes, that's your cue to walk normally toward the objective. Just watch out for ceiling vents.

I think this might be some kind of scripted event. He will not go back to the vents. He just keeps roaming around... pretty much just homing on my location. I'm crouching and moving very slowly the entire time.

Everyone that is having problems with the Alien, regardless of what mission: are you crouching at all times?

I'm on mission 10 and I have died 4 times; 2 from the Alien and two from those robots.

Running is the absolute worst thing you can do and should only be done if the Alien is 20 yards or so away and you know for sure if a hiding spot that is concealed from its sight is nearby.

Also, use the noisemakers--throw them down a long hallway and move immediately from cover as it rushes by. I think some of you might be making this hard for yourself as you are sitting around in cover waiting for that perfect moment.

There are no perfect moments, period. Just moments of decent opportunity.

I feel like this game rewards the player who is always on the move, which is exactly what the Alien does.

My only problem has been its sudden appearances on occasion, forcing me in the death trap lockers and not giving me an opportunity to use noise makers or maneuver around it effectively. I can see where I can be at fault at times not using the tracker or not being more wary of vents, but there are plenty of 'shit happens' moments too.

I really don't think it's a mistake that when I torch him, he hops down more frequently near me and is more aggressive (eventually not giving a fuck and attacking me anyway), and when I distract him and I remain hidden when he searches that he starts coming down all over rather than closer to me.

I'll probably replay some of the missions and do them differently to see what changes if I change how I play.

Man, I need to get back to playing this game and finish it up I must be a part of that 2% of people that have completed the game lol.

It's so fucking scary and tense, I get lightheaded sometimes while playing because my heart is pounding lol. I get closer to the last stretch of the game everytime I play but it's just so intense now with what's going on in the story.

They made the Alien genuinely scary and the whole game is a wonderful return to survival horror while staying incredibly true to the IP it is based on. It makes me excited to see what they do in the future with Creative Assembly and I really hope they get to make a The Thing game or something of that ilk. It's right up their alley as far as things go, and I bet they could do an amazing job.

Chiggs

Gold Member
My only problem has been its sudden appearances on occasion, forcing me in the death trap lockers and not giving me an opportunity to use noise makers or maneuver around it effectively. I can see where I can be at fault at times not using the tracker or not being more wary of vents, but there are plenty of 'shit happens' moments too.

It's far from perfect, and there's definitely some cheating going on.

Still, as long as you move when it's in the vents, stay crouched and move behind every single piece of cover in the hallway, you'll fare better. Also, walking is off limits too.

If you're playing on medium or hard, playing at a snail's pace is crucial. In long hallways with multiple rooms, enter each one and hide, let it appear and leave, waiting until it's at a comfortable distance (outer rim of motion tracker) and then move to the next room. Repeat over and over.

The only time this doesn't work is in San Cristobal where every single goddamn light in the facility turns on when you enter. There, some trial and error is involved.

shiba5

That goes for hiding in lockers too. Only time, I've died from hiding in lockers is when I didn't hold my breath. Makes me wonder if there is a placebo going with it really "learning" in some peoples games or not.

I can only speak for my experience, but when I got to Mission 5, my first instinct was to freeze and slip into a locker whenever I heard him get close. I noticed then that he seemed to home in on the room I was in and would keep checking on it with increasing frequency the longer I stayed put. Then he would keep checking out the locker itself. Eventually, he parked himself just out of sight and snatched me when I couldn't hold my breath any longer. I tested this more than a few times before I finally said screw the lockers. Made it through 5 and 6 with no deaths after I decided to just keep moving.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Wow, I love this so far. It's everything I ever hoped for when they announced it, and I was prepared to have my bubble burst. Every nuance and detail, just flawlessly executed. I really respect the decisions they've made as far as gameplay goes, too. The only problem I can see having is padded length, but if they give me enough downtime, I'm like a pig in shit just exploring this place so it might be okay.

shiba5

I really don't think it's a mistake that when I torch him, he hops down more frequently near me and is more aggressive (eventually not giving a fuck and attacking me anyway), and when I distract him and I remain hidden when he searches that he starts coming down all over rather than closer to me.

I'll probably replay some of the missions and do them differently to see what changes if I change how I play.

Yeah he will go right back to where you were, so what I ended up doing was force him back up in the vent and then hide behind some good cover. When he couldn't find me, he'd start ranging farther and eventually go back up in the vents.

Varna

Thanks shiba. Just kept moving stayed behind cover even when it was in the same room and the results were far better then trying to hide. I'm guessing they have some kind of script going on that makes it try and sniff you out if you are hidden.

Astral

Am I right in thinking that Mission 10 is one of the hardest missions in the game? It's so long too. I still haven't beaten it. This fucking alien doesn't give up.

Scoot2005

Banned
I don't see where he said the alien attacks them on hard?
I'm not sure I understand. I'm playing on medium and never did the Alien murdered a synthetic as I wish it did. I tried tossing a noise maker to summon it and the robot just merely stated "unidentified species", the Necromorph leaves it alone.
I never implied that this was the case on hard. I spoke my myself (medium settings).
Not in medium difficulty. He completely ignores them.

He didn't specifically say it. The difficulty was mentioned (for apparently no reason I now know) which implied that it was not the case on other difficulties. Why even mention the difficulty?

Scoot2005

Banned
This game is good. I don't know why it got low reviews :/.

Same reason ZombiU didn't get good reviews. Your not an overpowered character in a scary environment. Basically the reviewers sucked at it. Therefore much of their reviews were subject to their personal enjoyment.

Chiggs

Gold Member
Same reason ZombiU didn't get good reviews. Your not an overpowered character in a scary environment. Basically the reviewers sucked at it. Therefore much of their reviews were subject to their personal enjoyment.

I knew there was a game that this sort of reminded me of...just couldn't place it.

D

Deleted member 30609

Unconfirmed Member
I can imagine that having to play this game in one or two sittings probably doesn't do it any favors.

Verger

Banned
Yeah, ZombiU is great and it is a shame it reviewed so low compared to how great an experience it was.

Though Alien is reminding me mostly of System Shock 2, which I think reviewed quite well, but I guess in that game you had a lot of fodder enemies that could be dispatched simply.

I definitely feel one really needs to factor in that these reviewers were forced to try and play through this game in one setting or two, and considering how long it is and how hard it is that probably didn't go over that well, especially with a deadline

ufo8mycat

And that is true for me. The game is tense, but it is not scary. At least after a certain point, which honestly is not very far from the moment you meet it the first time.

The game has IMHO a problem. And that problem is that it throws the Alien card waaaay too often. The first moments with the Alien are truly masterful and actually terrifying indeed. You are legitimately scared of it in the early parts. But then it sticks around way too often. After a while, you kind of get used to it being there. Living with it, coping with it.

And then soon, it stops being terrifying, it stops being scary. And it becomes a hastle. An obstacle towards your next save point, or objective. And because the game has a great save system that makes survival worthwhile, the game -fortunately- still remains very tense.

Not because you are scared of the Alien, but because you might lose a lot of progress.

The Alien will kill you a lot. But you get used to that as well.

I think devs should have toned down the Alien encounters. They shouldnt be so frequent so as to retain the terrifying effect of the first moments you had with it.

And this sums up the biggest flaw in the game. Its a shame because other then this, its a great game. But the alien is just waaaay too scripted and focused on you.

Couple things:

1) I feel sucky about it, but I had to tone it down to easy cause I died too many goddamn times in a row and got really frustrated.

2) It's hilarious how much of a second-rate shit corporation Seegsol is and how it gets some much shit for it.

mattiewheels

And then the LORD David Bowie saith to his Son, Jonny Depp: 'Go, and spread my image amongst the cosmos. For every living thing is in anguish and only the LIGHT shall give them reprieve.'
Feels like if they would have gone in that direction, than people would complain that you don't see it enough and the games just fetching stuff. Its a hard balance to strike I guess.

So, I have the game sitting here still wrapped and I have two questions:

1) Is the Nostromo Edition DLC a major addition to the game?

2) How scary is this game? I'd rate PT/Silent Hills as "too scary" for me. (examples of games that aren't too scary for me: Silent Hill 2, System Shock 2, Outlast)

So, I have the game sitting here still wrapped and I have two questions:

1) Is the Nostromo Edition DLC a major addition to the game?

2) How scary is this game? I'd rate PT/Silent Hills as "too scary" for me. (examples of games that aren't too scary for me: Silent Hill 2, System Shock 2, Outlast)

I haven't played the DLC yet...

As for scary... not as scary as PT, but really effective at the atmosphere, closer to Outlast, but I don't think it's as scary as Outlast either cause you can distract/fight back to a degree.

It's not so much scary as relentlessly tense and foreboding.

I haven't played the DLC yet...

As for scary... not as scary as PT, but really effective at the atmosphere, closer to Outlast, but I don't think it's as scary as Outlast either cause you can distract/fight back to a degree.

It's not so much scary as relentlessly tense and foreboding.

That's a really good answer, thank you. I need to sleep, I'll decide in the morning.

Carm

Slightly off topic, what's a free way to convert fraps files to something I can upload to youtube with minimal visual loss? Don't want to dig out my Sony Vegas discs and the quality was never great when I did it with that anyway.

Edit: Nevermind, forgot about MSI Afterburner recording.

This game is good. I don't know why it got low reviews :/.

Having finished it, the Metascore is pretty accurate. Maybe a few points too low.

Pros
-Incredible visual and sound design
-Nailed the source material
-Great level design; backtracking done right, save stations were well placed and just frequent enough
-Fun mechanics, plays well

Cons
-Length. Game is way too long There isn't enough depth in the gameplay or narrative to support a 15+ hour campaign. I was one more "power up the generator while playing hide and seek with the the alien" away from quitting at one point.
-Pacing. The alien was overused and encounters become less and less scary as the game goes on. Once you get the flamethrower you're just like "whatever" and shoo it off whenever it bothers you. When the game's main draw loses its luster, all you're left with is door opening puzzles.

Tiktaalik

I'm very early in the game trying to elude androids in the communications area and I'm having a hell of a time. I feel a big problem is that the game hasn't explained itself properly and I still don't have any idea what I'm supposed to be doing. As well I feel like I'm facing odd bugs...

I can get all the way to the end of what I'm supposed to do, get a line of communication with whatever dude I'm trying to talk to but then an alarm goes off and I have to deal with a bunch of androids. Running past them has not worked at this point, as there's one at the very end and by the time I kill him the others are on me. I'm guessing I have to elude all of the androids then kill the one at the end?

Is there any way the hacking stations can help me here? At this point I feel like the game has completely not explained this system in any way whatsoever and me turning on and off systems at random is not revealing anything to me. I turn off alarm for example and the alarm still goes on. I have no idea how this shit is supposed to work. Good thing we got rid of manuals!

One odd bug I keep finding in this area is that I go into one room, and some android like warps in there or something and suddenly attacks me. I get out of his grasp and shoot him and then after I can't hit him after that and he ignores me. Anyone seen this?

I've died in this area like 3 times and am starting to get not impressed with this game. I need a tad more handholding at this early point in the game. I need some direction on what I should be doing here.

MoonGred

Am I the only one who loves the sound of hitting the androids?
Loving the game so far, but fuck the alien needs to back off some times, like many of you have said moving around does somewhat help.

Thriller

I'm very early in the game trying to elude androids in the communications area and I'm having a hell of a time. I feel a big problem is that the game hasn't explained itself properly and I still don't have any idea what I'm supposed to be doing. As well I feel like I'm facing odd bugs...

I can get all the way to the end of what I'm supposed to do, get a line of communication with whatever dude I'm trying to talk to but then an alarm goes off and I have to deal with a bunch of androids. Running past them has not worked at this point, as there's one at the very end and by the time I kill him the others are on me. I'm guessing I have to elude all of the androids then kill the one at the end?

Is there any way the hacking stations can help me here? At this point I feel like the game has completely not explained this system in any way whatsoever and me turning on and off systems at random is not revealing anything to me. I turn off alarm for example and the alarm still goes on. I have no idea how this shit is supposed to work. Good thing we got rid of manuals!

One odd bug I keep finding in this area is that I go into one room, and some android like warps in there or something and suddenly attacks me. I get out of his grasp and shoot him and then after I can't hit him after that and he ignores me. Anyone seen this?

I've died in this area like 3 times and am starting to get not impressed with this game. I need a tad more handholding at this early point in the game. I need some direction on what I should be doing here.

I think I know where you are. It's the part where you exit the elevator and see space in front of you but there is a droid on the left (at a console) and on the right?

What I did here was that I crouched to the right and hid under the desk. Waiting for him to walk by again and then I entered the hallway when his back was towards me.

I beat the game last night and besides a few minor issues it was a fantastic Alien experience. I remember talking to friends about this game earlier this year, telling them it's my most hyped game this year and they were saying it's going to suck because Colonial Marines sucked. I'm glad they were proven wrong and we got a worthy Alien game. Hopefully the game sells well and we can expect more Alien goodness in the future.

Top Bottom