• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Romulus | Official Trailer

Alex11

The feeling is very mutual. You sometimes, or at least I do, get suckered into these films because of the photography. Every ALIEN film in the franchise needs good photography. Stitch that together with music and atmosphere. The only thing that Prometheus had going for it was that it was beautiful asf on the big screen. Everything was balls but it was pretty to look at which made it quite an memorable experience.
Couldn't have said it better myself, completely agree. I would say just one thing, though it's a simple story and I know it has faults, like every movie, the OG movie plot and writing is really good and I may be in the minority as I think it's the best Alien movie.
I've just decided that I'm going to buy tickets for this and hope for the best when I plant my ass in that cinema seat. I'm buying Nachos. with dip.
You'll get at least one enjoyment from that experience. :messenger_winking_tongue:

Last edited:

Alex11

Managed to book my ticket for an early watch on Wednesday, really curious even if it'll turn up good, bad, or mid.

Saw a spoiler for the so called divisive 3rd act, sowe'll have a new type of Xeno, a mutant of some sorts

drganon

I've got no one to go with and I have to go to the next town over since my theater closed, so I'll wait till it's available to rent.

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member

More early impressions/Reviews so take with a shovel of salt. Not long to wait until full reviews start to drop anyways,

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member
Damn, I think I need to go on a total SM blackout to avoid getting whatever this third act thing is spoiled. Was M. Night Shamalalayayan involved in this film or something?

Alex11

It doesn't need to be a masterclass in moviemaking but if it's even decent enough I'll be happy.
No, but the first 2 were, and to be fair it's tough if not impossible to top those, especially for the alien design, to this day, it remains one of the most unique creature designs.
And seeing that everyone praises the audio in this one, it's a good start, it just needs to get rid of the comic book style story that past movies created and make space terrifying again.

Trilobit

I've got no one to go with and I have to go to the next town over since my theater closed, so I'll wait till it's available to rent.

I actually only go to movies alone. If I'm going to watch something with friends I prefer to do it at home where you can talk, discuss, pause and drink beer. When I pay the hefty price of a movie ticket I want to be fully immersed without anyone whispering something to me constantly.

Edit: And no one go and give me that empathy reaction to make me look sad!

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Hoo boy.

Just seen that there's something in this film that's represented in a way that The Flash movie would have approved of... and it's destroyed any slim amount of goodwill I could have had for this trash completely.

Fuck Disney.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
Just noticed the film is rated 15 in the UK. That doesn't fill me with a lot of hope. Although on the plus side, I can take my 16 year old son to see it.

When I think of an Alien film, I think extreme gore and horror. It's a sci-fi horror series. It needs to go all out with the shock and awe.

IDKFA

Hoo boy.

Just seen that there's something in this film that's represented in a way that The Flash movie would have approved of... and it's destroyed any slim amount of goodwill I could have had for this trash completely.

Fuck Disney.

I'm down for spoilers. Spill the beans, please (with spoiler tags of course)

FunkMiller

I'm down for spoilers. Spill the beans, please (with spoiler tags of course)
There’s a CGI deepfake Ian Holm robot in the movie called Rook. The CG is awful and he’s on screen quite a lot. Incredibly depressing and frankly wrong. Those fucking ghouls will dig anyone up and parade their corpses around to earn a few more dollars and squeeze the memberberries.

Last edited:
There’s a CGI deepfake Ian Holm robot in the movie called Rook. The CG is awful and he’s on screen quite a lot. Incredibly depressing and frankly wrong. Those fucking ghouls will dig anyone up and parade their corpses around to earn a few more dollars and squeeze the memberberries.

Doesnt really have to be a negative thing. Bad cgi or not I think it was fine with the one in The Flash and in Rogue One for example. As long as theyre not portrayed poorly it should be fine.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Doesnt really have to be a negative thing. Bad cgi or not I think it was fine with the one in The Flash and in Rogue One for example. As long as theyre not portrayed poorly it should be fine.

It's not fine for a dead actor's likeness to be used without their consent (which is impossible to get). It was fucking abhorrent in The Flash, and it's as bad here. Completely unnecessary, and only happening make idiots in the audience clap.

Last edited:
It's not fine for a dead actor's likeness to be used without their consent (which is impossible to get). It was fucking abhorrent in The Flash, and it's as bad here. Completely unnecessary, and only happening make idiots in the audience clap.

I highly doubt they didnt get consent from family members.

Last edited:

IDKFA

Didn't know about that. I was already on the fence with this film because we get

Another Xeno/Human hybrid, which someone said looks like Handsome Squidward

handsome_squidward__full_body__by_ephemera_everlast_dc24g73-pre.png

Yeah, so that and with the info you provided, my expectations are pretty low.

clarky

Gold Member
I was actually starting to look forward to this, but those spoilers sound fucking shite.

Also Resurrection was on TV last night, what a turd that film is.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

I highly doubt they didnt get consent from family members.

Yes. Because as we know, the estates of dead people always do a great job honouring their deceased's memory - if they even get asked.

Which is why we've never had a terrible Tolkien adaptation.

Bored Come On GIF

Last edited:
Yes. Because as we know, the estates of dead people always do a great job honouring their deceased's memory - if they even get asked.

Which is why we've never had a terrible Tolkien adaptation.

Bored Come On GIF

Who knows, fact is, was he made fun of or portrayed badly in the film? No? then cool, they honored a characters legacy, the end.

Last edited:

FunkMiller

Sorry, but that's just not an attitude I can endorse.
It's point blank wrong to ressurrect a dead actor just to make a cheap buck, and prop up your shitty movie.
Also... I've spoilered everything so it doesn't ruin the film. Can you do the same with your reply?

Last edited:

Alex11

OK, saw the movie, don't even know where to start, but if I'm feeling something like disappointment with little touches of hope here and there.

The movie is all over the place, don't even know where to start with the plot and writing, messy is a good thing calling it for now. It wants to be Alien, Aliens, the are some bits from Resurrection there too, it's full of easter eggs, call backs, direct lines from these movies.
The acting was surprisingly good, I though the young actors would be obnoxious, but really just one was getting on my nerves.

The big 3rd act it's not such a big deal, it's a bit weird, is all, it's essentially a bit like Resurrection with the hybrid, here is one as well, only a bit weirder. The hybrid comes from birth, and it's sort of a mix between human, engineer and a tiny bit of alien.
What I truly didn't like, the Xeno or Xenos were a bit like cannon fodder, and they were pretty idiotic, with only one of them that behaved differently and having a bit of smarts because reasons, I didn't like how they were portrayed at all. In fact almost all Xeno scenes we've already seen in promos and trailers and clips.

The production design was top notch, it captured that gritty sci fi look of Alien and Aliens. It's much better than Covenant, but yeah, a score for me would be a 7.

Not that it means too much, but these scores don't go well for the franchise moving forward.

Last edited:
I feel the pain as well.

There is a way to expand the ALIEN universe and Cameron did it (in his own way).

It just takes a bit of good writing that's all. Budget has never been the issue.

Alex11

Well yeah, although I have some issues with Aliens, I liked that Cameron didn't suffocate the story, I think he understood and wanted to preserve it, no way it's a coincidence, he could easily come with some BS time travel or cloning or whatever cliche.

And even though the aliens are dumbed down in his film, they're not complete morons.

They all seem to learn the wrong lessons from these movies, even Ridley himself.

BadBurger

Many “Whelps”! Handle It!
for those who needs more information on which theater to go to for those popcorn buckets that you can stick your
hand
into, here's a run down.

Cool, there's a Regal theater right down the street from me. Hopefully they have these buckets. I'm a big fan of the franchise, I'll take any kind of collectible I can get.

Alex11

Another thing that annoyed me as hell, giving you an erection with Big Chap at the beginning, showing that awesome cocooning ability in space, and then chopping your dick off by killing him off-screen, fuck off, movie. He was nothing but a background story, that's great, thanks.

And the reason for that is to extract from him that black goo to make humans a perfect organism, because we weren't made for colonization and new viruses and diseases keep appearing. Fucking what? All good, I get the new disease stuff, it's plausible, but they can't get that sorted out, but extracting that black goo from Big Chap, a creature beyond human understanding, that's totally doable, no problem.

One thing that I'm not sure what to think of for now is that it's heavily implied somewhat that the space jockey/engineer and the xeno are the same species.

Verdict: This was a complete nothing burger with some scooby doo characters. Director was desperate to keep the audiences attention with lights and sound effects and nostalgia bait. And why is this movie so fucking loud?

Alex11

Verdict: This was a complete nothing burger with some scooby doo characters. Director was desperate to keep the audiences attention with lights and sound effects and nostalgia bait. And why is this movie so fucking loud?
So I guess you saw it? If so what did you think of the whole black goo plot and how he wanted to connect the prequels and old movies togheter?

Movie got good when they turned off zero gravity. That upped the tension quite a bit which was much needed. Everything after that was great to be honest.

As for the Black Goo from Prometheus. I didn't buy it originally but in the end we got to see some Dead Space shit which was kind of cool.

Last edited:

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Okay, I''ll admit that:

Movie got good when they turned of zero gravity. That upped the tension quite a bit which was much needed. Everything after that was great to be honest.

The whole movie should have been in zero gravity to up the tension.

How's the movie in comparison to the rest of the Alien films?

I'm looking forward to the Alien show coming to Hulu/FX

I just think Alien films done everything they can do under a 2 to 3 hour runtime

I think the TV show might be better since I think that franchise is better off going into TV format where there's more time to let the story and characters breathe. Also if it's anything like Dark Horse Alien comics it might turn out fantastic too

Alex11

Movie got good when they turned off zero gravity. That upped the tension quite a bit which was much needed. Everything after that was great to be honest.

As for the Black Goo from Prometheus. I didn't buy it originally but in the end we got to see some Dead Space shit which was kind of cool.
I didn't like that part, but not because of the gravity stuff, but because that was when the Xenos were treated like imbeciles. I mean that whole stand your ground, aim assist BS and the xenos just attacking on at a time like in a fucking game, damn, it still gets me riled up.

I was prepared to hate that final part, but that was one of the better stuff, something horrifying fit for alien universe, I just hoped that the Xeno remained a mystery.

I didn't like that part, but not because of the gravity stuff, but because that was when the Xenos were treated like imbeciles. I mean that whole stand your ground, aim assist BS and the xenos just attacking on at a time like in a fucking game, damn, it still gets me riled up.

I was prepared to hate that final part, but that was one of the better stuff, something horrifying fit for alien universe, I just hoped that the Xeno remained a mystery.
I feel like that the Face Huggers outshone the Xeno's in this film. Intentional from the director or the fault of hasty editing?

Alex11

I feel like that the Face Huggers outshone the Xeno's in this film. Intentional from the director or the fault of hasty editing?
I think it's a bit of everything, I'm inclined to believe that Ridley had more input that we know about, I think he hates the Xeno, I really do, don't know why.

I think it's a bit of everything, I'm inclined to believe that Ridley had more input that we know about, I think he hates the Xeno, I really do, don't know why.

I would bet my house that Ridley's major input was to make the android act and have a mini-arc like Father from Raised by Wolves.

Top Bottom