• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Romulus | Official Trailer

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
This trailer shows how 85% of the people die in this movie. WTF?!?!

Glad I saw this before I looked - although, tbh, I've been avoiding looking at the screen in the cinema when the last trailer came on - there's a good chance I'll see this if the reviews are middling-good.

If the reviews are bad, one will wonder what the fuck the studio are doing though. There must be so many people with ideas for a good Alien movie.

I really hate it when trailers give too much away, but it seems that plenty of audiences want that or they wouldn't do it.

It'd be pretty cool if a studio was confident enough to put out an absolutely minimal amount of footage before release. I still remember the original Jurassic Park clips that were on tv shows alongside interviews, etc. They all ran right up until you were about to see a dinosaur. It really made it feel special in the cinema, that you didn't know what was coming.

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Well. I guess I just watched the whole movie. Tf.
Why would you do that to yourself lol, I seen more than enough in the first trailer to go "yip I'm seeing that in the theatre" no need to go spoil shit with all these 2nd Trailer/Final Trailer/TV Spot bullshit, christ I remember when you went to the cinema or video store and picked a movie based on how good the cover was and just went in knowing fuck all, nowadays you gotta actively avoid all the additional scenes, breakdowns and what you may of missed shit... Who the fuck watches this shit??

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Why would you do that to yourself lol, I seen more than enough in the first trailer to go "yip I'm seeing that in the theatre" no need to go spoil shit with all these 2nd Trailer/Final Trailer/TV Spot bullshit, christ I remember when you went to the cinema or video store and picked a movie based on how good the cover was and just went in knowing fuck all, nowadays you gotta actively avoid all the additional scenes, breakdowns and what you may of missed shit... Who the fuck watches this shit??
I Dont Care Shrug GIF by Puss In Boots

Alex11

I wanna go to this one open-minded, but for me the story and mystery was fucked the minute Alien Covenant happened. All the plot of Alien and Aliens is a bit pointless now, that is if they don't go the lazy convenient route of every prequel and in between movie of every franchise.

I'd wish they would stop fucking around with all these Alien prequels and whatnot, just make the first two canon, maybe even the 3rd one, and put the rest in an alternate timeline or something, and move the fucking story forward.

Also Romulus gives me vibes of a mash up between Alien and Aliens with some sprinkles of Isolation there, hope I'm wrong, as I'm loving the practical effects.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I wanna see it but I'm afraid it'll suck :|

I'm really looking forward to this but like most of the movies I saw this year, I'll wait for Streaming

I loved Alien and Aliens

Thought Alien 3 to be OK

Hated Alien Resurrection

Liked Prometheus and Alien Covenant due to David (Micheal Fassbender)

Haven't watched the Alien Vs Predator movies yet

I'm hoping that Alien Romulus is up there with the first two movies when it comes to quality in script, effects etc

clarky

Gold Member
I'm really looking forward to this but like most of the movies I saw this year, I'll wait for Streaming

I loved Alien and Aliens

Thought Alien 3 to be OK

Hated Alien Resurrection

Liked Prometheus and Alien Covenant due to David (Micheal Fassbender)

Haven't watched the Alien Vs Predator movies yet

I'm hoping that Alien Romulus is up there with the first two movies when it comes to quality in script, effects etc
They just built a brand new IMAX 15 minutes drive from my house. If the consensus is in that it is anyway decent, I think I will be breaking tradition and dragging the Mrs out to see this.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Didnt follow this movie or trailers posted, but saw a TV ad today. So I clicked this thread. That long trailer spoils a lot of it.

I dont get why they jam so much action in ads. Now compare to these beauty trailers. I guess marketing proof shows if you show audiences teaser trailers it leads to shit sales, but if you show tons of plot and action it leads to better sales(?).

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
I think trailers have been pretty spoiler heavy forever tbh - Here's the Ghostbusters trailer which given it's a 2 minute video isn't shy about showing a lot of the movies big moments. No sighting of
marshmallow man or Slimer, however. BTW, I thought it would be somewhat ironic if I were to somehow spoil a 40 year old movie for someone who's somehow missed it so had to put the spoiler tag in.
:

Last edited:

clarky

Gold Member
I think trailers have been pretty spoiler heavy forever tbh - Here's the Ghostbusters trailer which given it's a 2 minute video isn't shy about showing a lot of the movies big moments. No sighting of
marshmallow man or Slimer, however. BTW, I thought it would be somewhat ironic if I were to somehow spoil a 40 year old movie for someone who's somehow missed it so had to put the spoiler tag in.
:

Takes me back, went to the cinema for Ghostbusters. They say they don't make em like they used to, but they really dont. What a time to grow up that was.

Last edited:

Mr Reasonable

Completely Unreasonable
Takes back, went to the cinema for Ghostbusters. They say they don't make em like they used to, but they really dont. What a time to grow up that was.
Wow, I bet it was amazing at the time on the big screen - it's still a good looking film now, IMO. Back then, it must have been mindblowing.

jason10mm

Gold Member
:

You gotta remember that back then we had ONLY the trailer for info, maybe a magazine spread right before release. So something like Ghostbusters, a totally new IP, a bit of high concept, really had to work to sell itself. But they COULD keep things quiet, like the main creatures in the film, because there were very few ways stuff could get leaked (or the effects weren't done when the trailer was cut so they had no choice by focus on other stuff). Plus Ghostbusters doesn't really rely on the plot to drive it, its the humor mostly, and the spectacle. Back then these sorts of effects heavy films were pretty special and they all tried to pack all the money shots into the trailer if they could.

clarky

Gold Member
You gotta remember that back then we had ONLY the trailer for info, maybe a magazine spread right before release. So something like Ghostbusters, a totally new IP, a bit of high concept, really had to work to sell itself. But they COULD keep things quiet, like the main creatures in the film, because there were very few ways stuff could get leaked (or the effects weren't done when the trailer was cut so they had no choice by focus on other stuff). Plus Ghostbusters doesn't really rely on the plot to drive it, its the humor mostly, and the spectacle. Back then these sorts of effects heavy films were pretty special and they all tried to pack all the money shots into the trailer if they could.
Good shout, easy to avoid spoilers when there was no internet. Seeing Trailers in the cinema was half the fun back then.

jason10mm

Gold Member

Look at the actual full trailer for Total Recall. It gives EVERYTHING away, except the actual plot which was probably considered "too high a concept" so it just relied on lots of action, out of context effects scenes, and of course Schwarzeneggar who was the biggest action star on the planet at the time.

We actually get better trailers now a days, I think, because they are cut to be shown and scrutinized online. Back in the day you saw them in the theater, a bit on TV, and maybe featured in a few movie review/news programs but otherwise no real way to dissect them unless you got lucky and it was on a VHS promo tape or new release.

Alex11

I'm a big Alien fan so of course I couldn't resist watching pretty much all the teasers and trailers.

So, I knew what I was getting myself into, but even so, lol, the amount of spoilers that they've shown it's just bonkers, can't believe they have actually shown that heavy spoilers

Vyse

Gold Member
Hate it when they show stuff in the trailers that never make it into the movie. The first Transporter movie comes to mind. In the trailer they shoot a rocket at Statham and he deflects it with a serving platter. Kept waiting for that scene in the movie and it never came.

Also totally agree on trailers. They show way too much. Just saw the trailer for Speak no Evil. Really don’t see a point in watching since I feel like I already saw the movie.

If I recall correctly, the original alien just had the title slowly appearing with the tag line “In space no one can hear you scream”. So good.

Alex11

Hate it when they show stuff in the trailers that never make it into the movie. The first Transporter movie comes to mind. In the trailer they shoot a rocket at Statham and he deflects it with a serving platter. Kept waiting for that scene in the movie and it never came.

Also totally agree on trailers. They show way too much. Just saw the trailer for Speak no Evil. Really don’t see a point in watching since I feel like I already saw the movie.

If I recall correctly, the original alien just had the title slowly appearing with the tag line “In space no one can hear you scream”. So good.
I don't have a problem with long trailers or scenes that are not in the final movie, I'm used to these BS things, it's the heavy spoilers that irk me.

I really can't believe they showed so many spoilers, and big ones at that, for this movie, don't recall seeing something like this.

Only if, and this is a big if, the movie does something unexpected, even so, that one big spoiler, it's just mind boggling for me, and I think also for any big Alien fan out there.

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
Admittedly, this movie does look a hell of a lot better than The Covenant. That was probably one of the worst, if not worse Alien movie I've seen so far.

I think it's getting old though and they need to introduce some new things. That's what I liked about the new game Dark Descent. It actually introduced some bizarre new types of characters and even a long dead alien race not had nothing to do with the xenomorphs. We need more of that. Change it up for crying out loud and stuff.

clarky

Gold Member
Admittedly, this movie does look a hell of a lot better than The Covenant. That was probably one of the worst, if not worse Alien movie I've seen so far.

I think it's getting old though and they need to introduce some new things. That's what I liked about the new game Dark Descent. It actually introduced some bizarre new types of characters and even a long dead alien race not had nothing to do with the xenomorphs. We need more of that. Change it up for crying out loud and stuff.
Dark Decent was excellent. Really enjoyed that game.

Alex11

Well, let's be honest, no movie is gonna have the same effect as the 1st one. That was new, was mysterious, the biomechanical design of the creature, space jockey and the ship was something unique that came from the mind of an artist.

And the plot didn't have any heroes, Ripley is far from a hero in the 1st one. Also space was portrayed as actual space, not as someone's backyard, "oh, I forgot something on the other side of the galaxy, I'll be back in a jiffy."

The thing is, they introduced new things all the time:
- Aliens - Queen
- Alien 3 - Alien inherits the characteristics of the victim
- Alien R - Hybrid
And so on, Prometheus and Covenant had a bunch of new alien forms. The problem is the story took a wrong turn.

Darkmakaimura

Well, let's be honest, no movie is gonna have the same effect as the 1st one. That was new, was mysterious, the biomechanical design of the creature, space jockey and the ship was something unique that came from the mind of an artist.

And the plot didn't have any heroes, Ripley is far from a hero in the 1st one. Also space was portrayed as actual space, not as someone's backyard, "oh, I forgot something on the other side of the galaxy, I'll be back in a jiffy."

The thing is, they introduced new things all the time:
- Aliens - Queen
- Alien 3 - Alien inherits the characteristics of the victim
- Alien R - Hybrid
And so on, Prometheus and Covenant had a bunch of new alien forms. The problem is the story took a wrong turn.
I loved Prometheus. That movie was completely underrated in my opinion.

Alex11

I loved Prometheus. That movie was completely underrated in my opinion.
It actually was a good movie, and story, it was mysterious, hopeful movie, but not a good Alien movie, that was the problem.

Covenant was also decent, the movies could have been great spiritual successors to the Alien, but that's it.

Darkmakaimura

It actually was a good movie, and story, it was mysterious, hopeful movie, but not a good Alien movie, that was the problem.

Covenant was also decent, the movies could have been great spiritual successors to the Alien, but that's it.
I hated Covenant. At least for me that was the worst Alien movie.

Now, as far as really good follow-ups, those would have to be the video games Isolation and Dark Descent.

It's amazing how much better video games to movies can far exceed actual movie sequels.

Alex11

I hated Covenant. At least for me that was the worst Alien movie.
For sure Covenant was worse, but like with Prometheus it could have been much better if it wasn't in the Alien universe and they were their own franchise.
Now, as far as really good follow-ups, those would have to be the video games Isolation and Dark Descent.
Never played Dark Descent, but Isolation is one of my favourites ever, partly because of the Alien, but also it's a really good game and it follows to a fault the first movie's themes and aesthetics.
It's amazing how much better video games to movies can far exceed actual movie sequels.
Well I think you can forgive a game more easily than a movie, plot wise, of course, let alone other stuff. But it's still an in between movies story, and it fucks around with the story a bit, I personally treat as stand alone, alternate sequel if Aliens wouldn't exist.

Darkmakaimura

For sure Covenant was worse, but like with Prometheus it could have been much better if it wasn't in the Alien universe and they were their own franchise.

Never played Dark Descent, but Isolation is one of my favourites ever, partly because of the Alien, but also it's a really good game and it follows to a fault the first movie's themes and aesthetics.

Well I think you can forgive a game more easily than a movie, plot wise, of course, let alone other stuff. But it's still an in between movies story, and it fucks around with the story a bit, I personally treat as stand alone, alternate sequel if Aliens wouldn't exist.
Dark Descent is very interesting and brings new ideas to the table. Especially things like xenomorph cultists and a long dead alien race that does not seem to be related to the Engineers or Space Jockey.

Alex11

Dark Descent is very interesting and brings new ideas to the table. Especially things like xenomorph cultists and a long dead alien race that does not seem to be related to the Engineers or Space Jockey.
I may give it a go, though I wished for Isolation 2, still can't believe they didn't make a sequel.

Another day, another trailer, another spoiler, Jesus, at this point they're committed to show all the juicy stuff till the 16th.
I never ever really witnessed a movie being this heavily spoiled.

Last edited:

jason10mm

Gold Member

I'm having mixed feelings about this statement.
I'll spoiler this line from the article because it does give a little bit of character info that isn't in a trailer, probably be something we see in the first 5 minutes of the film though...

David Jonsson as her android foster brother Andy. “When her father was dying, he left Andy to be a kind of caretaker,” explains Alvarez of the pair’s dynamic. “But Andy is a bit damaged and he’s an older model. So more than a surrogate father, he becomes a younger brother to her. And that was always the heart of the story: this relationship between the two… and how that relationship unfolds once shit hits the fan.”

10:1 odds that robot tries to get with her :p

Alex11

I'll spoiler this line from the article because it does give a little bit of character info that isn't in a trailer, probably be something we see in the first 5 minutes of the film though...

David Jonsson as her android foster brother Andy. “When her father was dying, he left Andy to be a kind of caretaker,” explains Alvarez of the pair’s dynamic. “But Andy is a bit damaged and he’s an older model. So more than a surrogate father, he becomes a younger brother to her. And that was always the heart of the story: this relationship between the two… and how that relationship unfolds once shit hits the fan.”

10:1 odds that robot tries to get with her :p
Lol, honestly wouldn't surprise me one bit, I mean, what else is there left to fuck up in the Alien universe?

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan

Alex11

That sounds good to me

The second Alien film is still my favorite in the franchise
Sure, in theory a mish mash between the 2 best Alien movies is a great idea, it's a great with any franchise probably.

But, it's already been done with Aliens, it has a slow start, carefully presenting all the pieces, it even has that first movie slow camera pan showing stuff, so this movie is exactly that, Aliens 1.5.
Why not make it more original, make it full blown action or get back to basics, space horror, but different, hell, make it on whole movie with just the alien hunting one person and slowly losing his/her mind.

We already have Alien and Aliens, let it be, they're never going to be beaten, move it forward.

Last edited:

Alex11

The plot of this film highlights the absolute creative bankruptcy in Hollywood.

'Let's just remake the originals that everybody loved' has been the calling card of so many franchises in recent years. It's pathetic.
I see now that 20th Century Fox is owned by Disney, didn't know that, that makes a lot of sense now. So that's a "bright" future for the Alien.

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day

'Let's just remake the originals that everybody loved' has been the calling card of so many franchises in recent years. It's pathetic.
That's why I'm waiting for streaming. Unless there's a massive plot twist it's seems like cheap cash grab remake with young people, that worked out so well for TFA

Alex11

I wish this site had an emoji for depression, because that's what I'm feeling about that.
Yep, know exactly what you mean, man, I have, or had so few shows and franchises that I really cared about- Alien being one of them-and they're being constantly fucked up.

Apprently this show will have at least an alien on Earth, why, how, doesn't really matter.

Doom85

I mean, Alien 3 was a remake by that logic. Only one Xenomorph, no one has weapons, most don’t take Ripley’s warnings seriously, etc.

At least this film will probably have a more believable setting than a fucking “monastery prison” with no weapons anywhere because, and I quote, “we’re on the honor system”.

Staring Ed Helms GIF by The Office

Alien 3: Brought to You By People Who Clearly Don’t Know How Prisons Work! With a Side of Middle Finger to Aliens!

Top Bottom