• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien: Romulus | Official Trailer

MiguelItUp

Very hyped about this, and honestly it's the first film I'm THIS excited about in a LONG time. Which doesn't seem to be too surprising all things considered. It's so sad to go through this thread and see all the pessimism. I mean, I get it to some degree, but just because you've been unhappy with how the IP was treated doesn't mean it can't rebound and put out better stuff. I'm a huge fan so I'll always be hoping for the best. I'm just happy to see the IP continue to get more and more love over the years.

Alex11

Very hyped about this, and honestly it's the first film I'm THIS excited about in a LONG time. Which doesn't seem to be too surprising all things considered. It's so sad to go through this thread and see all the pessimism. I mean, I get it to some degree, but just because you've been unhappy with how the IP was treated doesn't mean it can't rebound and put out better stuff. I'm a huge fan so I'll always be hoping for the best. I'm just happy to see the IP continue to get more and more love over the years.
Well, I may be then in this bucket of pessimists, but certainly don't hate the movie or want it to fail, on the contrary, really hope the movie smacks me hard and proves me wrong.
And yeah, it is sad, but not because people are pessimistic or viewed as such, but because those who own Alien made it so.

I was hopeful many times before this, with Resurrection, AVP, Prometheus and Covenant. All these times I was very hyped and glad, but seeing how those turned out, from my perspective I can get a pass this time.

Which is a shame, as I love the practical effects, but the story is the same, if the consensus is that Prometheus and then Covenant to a larger degree fucked the story, then Romulus shouldn't get a pass if it continues the same story.

Everyone says "oh how good the first two are and wish we would get the same", but it is long gone and forgotten what made those great, all the wrong lessons were and are taken from them.

ManaByte

Gold Member
Saw a TV spot that gave away what it's really about:

The Company was searching for the Xeno that Ripley shot out of the airlock, and they found it.

That's actually a pretty awesome setup for an Alien movie set between the two movies on a remote space station.

Alex11

The Company was searching for the Xeno that Ripley shot out of the airlock, and they found it.

That's actually a pretty awesome setup for an Alien movie set between the two movies on a remote space station.
Saw that too, and I don't like it a bit.

I mean,in Aliens they say it's luck they found Ripley after 57 years, so now they find the Alien sooner with it being much smaller, thus I would think it's much harder. Unless they turned it around, and say they didn't want Ripley found on purpose or some convoluted BS.

Don't you think this all makes the universe seem smaller, like too many conveniences or whatever the plot needs to happen?
Just watched, cannot fucking wait, so glad he's knocked this outa the park
Well, I'm not buying some of the reviews, like being the best ever, that is quite a stretch.

And as I said, I've been burned by this franchise so much, for this one I'm going a bit skeptical.

Alex11

So we're currently at the stage in the cycle where we believe early impressions of "reviewers" splooging themselves. Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice shame on me.

Disclaimer: I hope it's really good but I have no faith. I'll wait for streaming.
Yeah, that's what I said, I don't buy all these reviewers, there are some hyperboles there, so yeah.

ManaByte

Gold Member

I mean,in Aliens they say it's luck they found Ripley after 57 years, so now they find the Alien sooner with it being much smaller, thus I would think it's much harder. Unless they turned it around, and say they didn't want Ripley found on purpose or some convoluted BS.

Don't you think this all makes the universe seem smaller, like too many conveniences or whatever the plot needs to happen?

I don't mind that part. I don't like them tying it to Prometheus by reverse-engineering the black goo from the Xeno

Alex11

I don't mind that part. I don't like them tying it to Prometheus by reverse-engineering the black goo from the Xeno
Oh yeah, of course, if I had the possibility of choosing, I woulddefinitely choose to erase that black goo and all that it ruined. This is one time I would agree for them to pull an ex machina for, and say something like all these are not true aliens or whatever

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Well, I'm not buying some of the reviews, like being the best ever, that is quite a stretch.

And as I said, I've been burned by this franchise so much, for this one I'm going a bit skeptical.
I'm not buying it's best in franchise either no way is it better than Alien/Aliens but I'll be more than happy with a close 3rd, same with Prey another absolutely solid entry that eclipses all but the classic Part1 & 2

FunkMiller

Sounds fine to me. After all, space is notoriously very small, so it's easy to find things floating about.

OH NO WAIT HANG ON

Last edited:

Alex11

Sounds fine to me. After all, space is notoriously very small, so it's easy to find things floating about.

OH NO WAIT HANG ON
That's what I'm saying, it's like, you have less chances to bump into someone you know at the local supermarket than these fuckers find stuff in space.

Anyway, I reckon it's hard when a franchise is owned by people who don't give 2 fucks about continuity and when the movies are so far apart and by different directors.

I mean, if say somewhere down the line they finally grow a pair and continue the story, thus deciding from the get go they want 2 movies, trilogy or whatever and have the story written down for all of them with the same people involved, maybe we'll have something.

Last edited:

Doom85

OH NO WAIT HANG ON

If the droids in New Hope can conveniently land within a day’s walk or so of all the important people they need to visit (spare me trying to claim Leia or the Rebels knew where Obi-Wan was living, the movie offers zero evidence of it, and we don’t excuse a film for later retcons to expand on elements like that) on a PLANET, I can suspend my disbelief here.

For that matter, how convenient was it in Aliens for ANOTHER Xenomorph situation to pop up so soon after Ripley had woken up? Why is that excusable but this new film’s ”convenience” to kickstart the plot isn’t?

If The Company was actively searching for the Xeno from 1, I don’t see why it should be a stretch that they found it before Ripley was ever found. Especially if by the time the former was found both had drifted off quite far from one another.

jason10mm

Gold Member
If the droids in New Hope can conveniently land within a day’s walk or so of all the important people they need to visit (spare me trying to claim Leia or the Rebels knew where Obi-Wan was living, the movie offers zero evidence of it, and we don’t excuse a film for later retcons to expand on elements like that) on a PLANET, I can suspend my disbelief here.
Oh, we gonna fight here. So in Star Wars, the droids land and are picked up (droid-napped) by Jawas, scavengers that SPECIFICALLY scour the wasteland looking for junk to sell. They are then, after an unspecificed period of time, taken to basically a swap meet where they are bought by Luke and it's C3POs agency to make sure A2 comes as well. Obi-wan is near Luke BECAUSE he is watching over him. So sure, there is a big eye-roll in retrospect, but it's all supported by the story in a plausible way
For that matter, how convenient was it in Aliens for ANOTHER Xenomorph situation to pop up so soon after Ripley had woken up? Why is that excusable but this new film’s ”convenience” to kickstart the plot isn’t?
Ripley slips past "the core systems" and sacrifices her entire life in that sleep. Her daughter grows and dies in that time. So she doesn't just "get picked up out of the blue", her prolonged sleep is FUNDAMENTAL to her character drive in the film. And when she does get recovered and tell her story, THAT is the reason why Hadley's Hope colonists are told where to go, otherwise that alien ship might have sat there for decades longer, if not forever, until the new terraformed world eroded it away. Again, a bit of an eye roll, but all supported by and critical for the story. And Ripley's PTSD from Alien is the motivation to go out again, plus she has no family other than Charlie, who stays behind.
If The Company was actively searching for the Xeno from 1, I don’t see why it should be a stretch that they found it before Ripley was ever found. Especially if by the time the former was found both had drifted off quite far from one another.
We'll see how Romulus weaves in the xeno. But I consider Prometheus and Covenant to be totally separate stories from Alien. About all you could say is the initial response to the distress beacon and Ash's actions are slightly colored by a specific desire to recover the xeno versus a general order to recover ANY potentially useful alien life (it's still a bit vague how much alien stuff, particularly non-xeno, is actually known about in the Alien universe from those first films).

So yeah, in almost every film there needs to be a convenience chain of events to make the plot happen. But that's real life as well. What's important is how plausible it all is and how well it serves the story. Even a "meet cute" should push character, not just be a flashpoint to start the plot. And of course a macguffin is widely acknowledged to be irrelevant but necessary for a film, its part of the artiface of film/storytelling.

Alex11

Oh, we gonna fight here. So in Star Wars, the droids land and are picked up (droid-napped) by Jawas, scavengers that SPECIFICALLY scour the wasteland looking for junk to sell. They are then, after an unspecificed period of time, taken to basically a swap meet where they are bought by Luke and it's C3POs agency to make sure A2 comes as well. Obi-wan is near Luke BECAUSE he is watching over him. So sure, there is a big eye-roll in retrospect, but it's all supported by the story in a plausible way

Ripley slips past "the core systems" and sacrifices her entire life in that sleep. Her daughter grows and dies in that time. So she doesn't just "get picked up out of the blue", her prolonged sleep is FUNDAMENTAL to her character drive in the film. And when she does get recovered and tell her story, THAT is the reason why Hadley's Hope colonists are told where to go, otherwise that alien ship might have sat there for decades longer, if not forever, until the new terraformed world eroded it away. Again, a bit of an eye roll, but all supported by and critical for the story. And Ripley's PTSD from Alien is the motivation to go out again, plus she has no family other than Charlie, who stays behind.

We'll see how Romulus weaves in the xeno. But I consider Prometheus and Covenant to be totally separate stories from Alien. About all you could say is the initial response to the distress beacon and Ash's actions are slightly colored by a specific desire to recover the xeno versus a general order to recover ANY potentially useful alien life (it's still a bit vague how much alien stuff, particularly non-xeno, is actually known about in the Alien universe from those first films).
Yeah, I do this too, but for all Alien sequels except Aliens, although I have things that irk me in this as well.

Doing this, can't help but go back to the OG and how special that movie was, no BS, doesn't tell more than you need to know, besides Ash the rest are there just because.
Ripley wasn't a hero, clearly wasn't painted in white light, as she was quite bitchy, she survived with quite a bit of luck, I guess here you can find a bit of fault, that she gets lucky a bit too much, but such is life for some, no?

Making comparisons with Romulus as there is a clip, don't know if you've seen it, it'swhen one of the girls escapes the alien under some grating close range, now remember in Aliens there's a similar scene with the Queen and Newt, where she's found, never mind the Xeno from OG, she would have been dead. So yeah, I'm afraid there's gonna be lots of scenes like this.

Esca

I can not wait to see this. I'm a giant fan of the ip and even the bad movies I have and watched multiple times. I'm thinking of picking up the table top rpg regardless if I can find others to play with or not. Predator is my homeboy as well

Should I go and watch this movie in theaters? I rarely go anymore. But I have much love for the ALIEN franchise when it's done right. Is this worthy of a ticket gaf?

Alex11

Should I go and watch this movie in theaters? I rarely go anymore. But I have much love for the ALIEN franchise when it's done right. Is this worthy of a ticket gaf?
I'm skeptical but I think it's worth a trip to the theatre, if nothing else, for the practical Xeno.

Did you go to the theatre for Alien Covenant?

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
The Phantom Menace is great

The Phantom Menace GIF by Star Wars

My Padme was my horny dream.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
Bad films in theaters: agreed, nah.

Good films in theaters:

Season 9 Yes GIF by Friends

The only movie I saw this year in theaters was Longlegs. The rest of them, I just waited for Streaming. I have no desire to watch any upcoming film in theaters this year

Can't wait to see Twisters, Inside Out 2 and Oddity this month on Streaming 😉

Doom85

The only movie I saw this year in theaters was Longlegs. The rest of them, I just waited for Streaming. I have no desire to watch any upcoming film in theaters this year

Can't wait to see Twisters, Inside Out 2 and Oddity this month on Streaming 😉

I just love the theater experience. The moment I was started to feel a little burned out on it…..was early March 2020.

Needless to say, after being not able to go to the movies for a whole year (even if it’s supposed to be one of his weaker films, not seeing Tenet on the big screen hurt, Nolan films deserve an IMAX viewing), I found my appreciation for the theater experience again. And god, the 2021 Mortal Kombat film was the first I got to see once I was vaccinated, and for as flawed it was, I just had fun seeing a film like that on the big screen after a miserable year of nothing. When the theme music kicked in during the credits and people started singing in unison when the “MORTAL KOMBAT!” part played, that was good shit right there. Not a great film by any means, but it’ll hold a special place in my heart for being that welcome return after a shitty year.

NotMyProblemAnymoreCunt

Biggest Trails Stan
I just love the theater experience. The moment I was started to feel a little burned out on it…..was early March 2020.

Needless to say, after being not able to go to the movies for a whole year (even if it’s supposed to be one of his weaker films, not seeing Tenet on the big screen hurt, Nolan films deserve an IMAX viewing), I found my appreciation for the theater experience again. And god, the 2021 Mortal Kombat film was the first I got to see once I was vaccinated, and for as flawed it was, I just had fun seeing a film like that on the big screen after a miserable year of nothing. When the theme music kicked in during the credits and people started singing in unison when the “MORTAL KOMBAT!” part played, that was good shit right there. Not a great film by any means, but it’ll hold a special place in my heart for being that welcome return after a shitty year.

Yeah I don't fault you for loving the theater experience. For me I'm very introverted and most of the time my theater experience was bad. I stopped going after December 2022. Longlegs was the first time I saw a movie in the theaters after 2022. Even though it was a good crowd this time, I was a bit annoyed with I think 40 minutes of previews. I like previews but I remember before 2023 being at least 10 to 20 minutes of that stuff. I did give a huge list before about why I stopped going to the theaters

There was a recent article where it was shown that 60 Percent of adults don't go to the theaters anymore. I'm proudly part of that statistics now

Last edited:

drganon

I'm skeptical but I think it's worth a trip to the theatre, if nothing else, for the practical Xeno.

Did you go to the theatre for Alien Covenant?
I saw covenant at my now defunct theater. Wasn't that packed and heard a couple people chuckle at "I'll do the fingering". Did get a cool photo of this big cardboard display advertising the movie.

ManaByte

Gold Member
That's what I'm saying, it's like, you have less chances to bump into someone you know at the local supermarket than these fuckers find stuff in space.

Anyway, I reckon it's hard when a franchise is owned by people who don't give 2 fucks about continuity and when the movies are so far apart and by different directors.

I mean, if say somewhere down the line they finally grow a pair and continue the story, thus deciding from the get go they want 2 movies, trilogy or whatever and have the story written down for all of them with the same people involved, maybe we'll have something.

They would know where the Nostromo was when it exploded. The escape pod wouldn't have gotten too far. Very small search area.

Alex11

They would know where the Nostromo was when it exploded. The escape pod wouldn't have gotten too far. Very small search area.
Well, not exactly, we see in full speed when the Nostromo exploded, and again picks up speed when she burns the alien, which send in an opposite direction of the shuttle, and probably at some speed and not slowing down unless it hits something.
After that she says with a little luck she will be detected in some weeks.
So the Company either doesn't have tracking on the shuttle or maybe it does but space isn't all mapped out like a planet, which is logical, and only certain areas have some sort of coverage for ships, loose cargo, whatever.

The only thing we know for sure after seeing Aliens is they didn't want Ripley found, which is pretty clear, also she is rescued by a salvage team.

So they may know where Nostromo was, but don't know where the shuttle is, yet and certainly don't know where the alien is, I mean the chances to be found, being that small, going in the opposite direction of the shuttle, are a little far fetched.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
The first batch of reviews are really positive, I'm hyped for this.

Already got the tix for the night of the 15th for the premier.

Alex11

Heading there now to watch all the spoilers
I saw enough of them, I said what the hell, I want so save the last one for the movie, heard that the last act is something weird, it's a hate it or love it part, that got me intrigued.

I'm curious about the fan base after this, lol.

Ulysses 31

Eh, unless the Company knew the direction and speed the alien was blasted in and when, it's a huge long shot to try to trace the thing without that info.

Last edited:

Days like these...

Have a Blessed Day
Was reading the comments on YouTube. I saw one comment that wasn't glowing. Remember all these glowing reviews are from people who want to get invited to the next screening.

Ulysses 31

Well, not exactly, we see in full speed when the Nostromo exploded, and again picks up speed when she burns the alien, which send in an opposite direction of the shuttle, and probably at some speed and not slowing down unless it hits something.
After that she says with a little luck she will be detected in some weeks.
So the Company either doesn't have tracking on the shuttle or maybe it does but space isn't all mapped out like a planet, which is logical, and only certain areas have some sort of coverage for ships, loose cargo, whatever.
At least it's less egregious than them missing an egg before they went to hypersleep. :messenger_winking_tongue:
The only thing we know for sure after seeing Aliens is they didn't want Ripley found, which is pretty clear, also she is rescued by a salvage team.
Where did you get that impression from? To me it seemed she got unluck that the network didn't pick her up and she drifted for 57 years till it was found, not so much that Company didn't want to find survivors of the Nostromo.

You know, that's actually not bad at all! Hopefully they don't fuck this up.

Alex11

At least it's less egregious than them missing an egg before they went to hypersleep. :messenger_winking_tongue:
That Queen had quick thinking, laid it in a hard spot to find, all while battling Ripley, lol.
Where did you get that impression from? To me it seemed she got unluck that the network didn't pick her up and she drifted for 57 years till it was found, not so much that Company didn't want to find survivors of the Nostromo.
Well, remember Burke, I mean we couldn't have worked alone on his scheme, and the fact that they knew everything that happened on the Nostromo because of Ash and Mother.

Alex11

I wasn't feeling it after Prometheus so I didn't go this time.
Well, I got burned by both Prometheus and Covenant, as I didn't like at all the plot and wasn't sure I'm gonna go to this one, but in the end I will.

Thing is, there will always be reasons not to go or to go if we're to listen to influencers, haters or fans of the franchise, so for me it's best to go and make my own opinion, besides, I'm not going to the theatre very often, I have very, very few franchises that I watch.

Trilobit

I'm always trying to be hopeful that a movie will be great and especially the ones taking place in the Alien universe. But when not even a teaser or trailer can excite me it unfortunately paints the picture of a movie with not much going for it. Even some bad movies can have stellar trailers.

Last edited:
Well, I got burned by both Prometheus and Covenant, as I didn't like at all the plot and wasn't sure I'm gonna go to this one, but in the end I will.

Thing is, there will always be reasons not to go or to go if we're to listen to influencers, haters or fans of the franchise, so for me it's best to go and make my own opinion, besides, I'm not going to the theatre very often, I have very, very few franchises that I watch.
The feeling is very mutual. You sometimes, or at least I do, get suckered into these films because of the photography. Every ALIEN film in the franchise needs good photography. Stitch that together with music and atmosphere. The only thing that Prometheus had going for it was that it was beautiful asf on the big screen. Everything was balls but it was pretty to look at which made it quite an memorable experience.

I've just decided that I'm going to buy tickets for this and hope for the best when I plant my ass in that cinema seat. I'm buying Nachos. with dip.

Last edited:
Top Bottom