• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Just this minute completed. What a fuck up. How actual long has the game been in development? 6 years?

I expected a lot more polished game than this. The demos we have seen from the last few years were so much better than the final product. The story I didn't mind it was just the presentation and gameplay.

I expected a lot more and left disappointed. Another let down to the year.

Cheddahz

Banned
Holy fuck, that you tube video (this one), is the creepiest thing and hilarious at the same time, wow at that gif, this game, this thread, WOW!

I'm laughing my ass off at the Wii U gameplay footage right now...

Aliens: CM = Duke Nukem Forever of 2013 where Best Buy will be selling it for $2 by the end of the year just to get rid of copies

Just this minute completed. What a fuck up. How actual long has the game been in development? 6 years?

I expected a lot more polished game than this. The demos we have seen from the last few years were so much better than the final product. The story I didn't mind it was just the presentation and gameplay.

I expected a lot more and left disappointed. Another let down to the year.

so can we get some detailed impressions on what's wrong with it? Thus far it's been a lot of "Oh God oh man" type posts but very little details. What's wrong with the graphics? What are the major problems with the gameplay?

Darkmakaimura

Can You Imagine What SureAI Is Going To Do With Garfield?
so can we get some detailed impressions on what's wrong with it? Thus far it's been a lot of "Oh God oh man" type posts but very little details. What's wrong with the graphics? What are the major problems with the gameplay?
This is simply going by the YouTube videos, but the graphics look subpar or at best average, there's tons of screen tearing and I've seen at least two glitches (gun wrapping around the motion tracker and a guy who got shot sinking into the floor while flailing about). The game also looks very short, but this is not always a bad thing (see Darkness II).

Mr Scrufff

Neo Member
man you guys really think it's that bad huh. Normally I'm pretty critical myself, but I genuinely did enjoy the single player. It must be because I love the source material...and they got the pulse rifle sound and the use of the motion detector perfect I thought

MYE

man you guys really think it's that bad huh. Normally I'm pretty critical myself, but I genuinely did enjoy the single player. It must be because I love the source material...and they got the pulse rifle sound and the use of the motion detector perfect I thought

I feel like its going to be the same for me lol
I'm waiting for the quick price drop though

The sound of a good game. *lets self out, and back in through a secret vent*

For people playing the PC release, how is the optimization and all that jazz? Will I be running this at 200 FPS on a GTX670 without downsampling?

eshwaaz

Yeah, I'm kind furious with Pitchford. Farming out the SP campaign - for an Aliens sequel focused on "story" and "lore" and all this other shit he spewed. He's come out of this really sleazy, and this is hot of the tails of Duke.

Gearbox has demonstrated they're a C grade developer who got lucky with BL.
Pitchford has always been shameless. He said that they had taken what 3D Realms had done with Duke Nukem Forever, and turned it into a "polished, AAA" game. Either he knew the game was trash and knowingly lied to our faces through a shit-eating grin, or he actually believed what he was saying and has absolutely no eye for quality whatsoever. Either way, nothing he says should be believed.

ZwUzYbj.gif

Remmy2112

Pitchford has always been shameless. He said that they had taken what 3D Realms had done with Duke Nukem Forever, and turned it into a "polished, AAA" game. Either he knew the game was trash and knowingly lied to our faces through a shit-eating grin, or he actually believed what he was saying and has absolutely no eye for quality whatsoever. Either way, nothing he says should be believed.

Forgive the pun but he is a master of pitching products, even if they are shit. When they're good products like Borderlands it is awesome.

Alucrid

Banned
so that hilarious review video that was posted earlier...

that 'actual wii u footage' was really one of the earlier aliens games right?

right?

Q

Queen of Hunting

Unconfirmed Member
borderlands 2 is over rated, they changed things for the worse. like the whole side quests not being avaliable when u first get to an area but once u have done it. and the balance between classes is terrible

desertdroog

How very unfortunate. I just got back from Gamestop, where I canceled my Collectors Edition pre-order and put the money towards Bioshock: Infinite and The Last of Us.

I guess there is always Dark Horse comics to placate my Xenomorph needs.

Is the game really not going to unlock for 7 hours, 3 AM central time or is it going to unlock at midnight eastern like DmC. The latter said it wouldn't unlock until noon but ended up opening up much sooner.

Got stuff to do tomorrow so I want to get my disappointment in.

Ghazi

Watching the stream now, someone please tell me that this game runs at 60 FPS on consoles.

Edit: The graphics don't look as bad as everyone's made them sound to be, though this might be slasher's awesome PC.

JRW

Watching the stream now, someone please tell me that this game runs at 60 FPS on consoles.

Edit: The graphics don't look as bad as everyone's made them sound to be, though this might be slasher's awesome PC.

You say that like its common for console games to run at 60fps.

Unlocked it around 2 hours ago on Steam using the ol' VPN trick.

If this game was released in 2006, it would be awesome. Unfortunately, it's 2013.

It sucks, flat out. It's just unpolished as fuck. I'll be honest though, I am interested in the co-op. Does it scale according to how many people are in your party?

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Like I said in the other thread, I have this great idea for an Aliens game, it would be better than this, that's for sure.

Anyone want to hear what I have in my head?

goomba

Banned
I found aliens : infestation for Nz$10 today

It's one of the best DS games I have played , nice smooth sprite animation , good use of second/touchscreen and a queen alien boss in the first mission !

This franchise is dead to me. Dead Space feels more like an Aliens game than either AvP2010 or CM.

Hopefully Creativr Assembly can save the Aliens name.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
Sure, go ahead. Why not.
Okay. I've been reading summaries of the comics, so why not base a game off of that? Let's ignore the third movie and let's have an adventure with a grown up Newt and a still-alive Hicks.

And let's focus on the survival horror aspects. Wouldn't it be nice to have a game that scares the crap out of you again? I'm playing through Doom 3 BFG Edition, and after the twenty fifth monster closet, I know what to expect. Let's throw in some unpredictable elements, some real shocking moments and some truly unforgettable scenarios.

This is just a random thought. If the rumor is true and System Shock 2 shows up on GOG in a few days, I'll drop everything, play through that, and flesh this out.

Jackl

This franchise is dead to me. Dead Space feels more like an Aliens game than either AvP2010 or CM.

Hopefully Creativr Assembly can save the Aliens name.

: (

So much potential wasted on Dudebro cash grabs.

I gave up middle of last decade for a decent survival horror Aliens, see that my initial assumption 6 years ago is still correct.

nitrowolf2

Neo Member
Okay. I've been reading summaries of the comics, so why not base a game off of that? Let's ignore the third movie and let's have an adventure with a grown up Newt and a still-alive Hicks.

And let's focus on the survival horror aspects. Wouldn't it be nice to have a game that scares the crap out of you again? I'm playing through Doom 3 BFG Edition, and after the twenty fifth monster closet, I know what to expect. Let's throw in some unpredictable elements, some real shocking moments and some truly unforgettable scenarios.

This is just a random thought. If the rumor is true and System Shock 2 shows up on GOG in a few days, I'll drop everything, play through that, and flesh this out.

theres only one part in ACM that made it feel like Alien and that was the sneaking part. It was the only one jump segment that really got me XD

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
theres only one part in ACM that made it feel like Alien and that was the sneaking part. It was the only one jump segment that really got me XD
Less jump segments, more truly terrifying moments that give you night terrors. People can name moments of terror in Sustem Shock 2 or classic Resident Evil titles, why not have moments that stick with you?

RoKKeR

I have zero interest in this game, but seeing a little bit of the pre-release impressions...

Duke Nukem 2.0?

The reviews tomorrow should be interesting.

It's the top-seller on Steam right now ahahahahah.

Need to change the subtitle to Nukem it from Orbit.

I've been watching a ton of videos, what a shame.

Top Bottom