• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

TentPole

3 hours down and no game has given me such a bad impression in years. A good deal worse than Duke Nuk'em Forever which I actually managed to have some fun with.

Why is AvP doing Aliens so much better?

Because for all its failings, AvP was a product of people who had respect, and a genuine love for the Alien/Predator universes. The just fell a bit short in the gameplay stakes. Seriously id advise anyone who doesnt own it to just get AvP 2010 instead of this. Its a more authentic Marine experience, it looks better, it plays better, and doesnt suffer from the god awful retcons in attempts to be accepted as 'canon'.

saunderez

3 hours down and no game has given me such a bad impression in years. A good deal worse than Duke Nuk'em Forever which I actually managed to have some fun with.

Yeah it's really lacking the humour that made Duke Nukem Forever playable. Also level design in DNF is a lot more interesting. Both games look like steaming crap on consoles though. I never expected this game would have me yearning to play the recent AvP.

iMax

Surely its rocky development cycle was an indication of this? Has a heavily delayed game that's been thrown between multiple development teams ever been critically successful?

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4

liquidfox00

Neo Member
Tx6e4Ik.gif

MedIC86

i seriously dont get all the hate, played it a couple hours on the pc now. People who say the graphics are bad on the pc version need to go see an eye doctor asap (its not crysis, but it looks servicable enough). imo they really nailed the alien atmosphere, its maybe not as scary as it should be, but im having fun anyway.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
i seriously dont get all the hate, played it a couple hours on the pc now. People who say the graphics are bad on the pc version need to go see an eye doctor asap (its not crysis, but it looks servicable enough). imo they really nailed the alien atmosphere, its maybe not as scary as it should be, but im having fun anyway.

From the PC reviews I've read. They say the graphics are okay for a PC game. But severly gimped for the console versions.

The main complain visually seems to be the overuse of textures and assets.

goomba

Banned
From the PC reviews I've read. They say the graphics are okay for a PC game. But severly gimped for the console versions.

The main complain visually seems to be the overuse of textures and assets.

Can't wait for WiiU reviews.
It's not surprising it was delayed considering the mess the other versions have been said to be.

cyberheater

Can't wait for WiiU reviews.
It's not surprising it was delayed considering the mess the other versions have been said to be.

Yeah. I think they've really struggled with the WiiU version which is why we've not seen any media for it and why it's late. I fully expect it to be the worst version.

Remmy2112

God fucking dammit. That's half the reason I was so excited about a new Aliens. &*%$

Supposedly if you preordered from Wal-Mart you get it for free. If not be prepared to pony up 15 bucks my friend!

Also it is.. regrettable that this game is not good. I was never optimistic but had wished that it would actually be a decent game.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
Wait how do we do the wave mode? I went to do survival and it was 4v4 shit. Don't tell me it's going to be withheld DLC shit. That will piss me off so bad.
Yeah, it's $15 DLC. I'm actually interested in that side of things, though getting my mates to drop the funds on this game after the savage reviews is gonna be hard. I'll wait a few months. AvP 2010 can be had for $14, so I hope for the same for CM :p Withholding arguably the best mode for DLC is pretty obnoxious.

if I'm completely honest, I still want to play this just to see how awful it is. I get great enjoyment out of terrible things. I'm sure it has some (mild) redeeming qualities, even though it seems to be a fanfic facsimile of Aliens with zero imagination. Watching videos all I can think about is the missed opportunities. I actually saw it at EB this morning, after I ducked out for a coffee which often ends in me making incredibly poor game purchase decisions. Avoided. Plenty of stuff to play in the meantime!

I'm cynical (and since I post on GAF seemingly an asshole), so I can't help but feel that any game that removes a completed (and previously advertised) game mode from their finished game to sell as DLC is nothing more then a cash grab.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm cynical (and since I post on GAF seemingly an asshole), so I can't help but feel that any game that removes a completed (and previously advertised) game mode from their finished game to sell as DLC is nothing more then a cash grab.
It's incredibly cheeky, if nothing else. The rest sounds so wretched I can imagine people going "if I just pay the $15 I'll have a good game mode..."

Keikaku

Based on Jubbly's pics, the game looks decidedly average at best.

A special shout-out to the horrible floor in the 1st pic, the odd water effect in the second and the clipping in a QTE-style closeup. Wow.

Note: Tired, depressed(and amused) after streaming the game for four hours so excuse any grammatical errors and such.

Streamed/played it for a quite a while and what a disappointment. The graphics, textures in particular, truly are poor beyond belief and animations often seem missing or non-existent. The alien gibs are rather lazy, they just splat into identical pieces of heart and liver. The interior environments are bizarrely basic in design, like a modern Doom almost with textures along the same base of quality lining desks and computer screens.

The lighting system in particular stands out as something that must have been uncompleted or toned down of the course of development. There are sections with hanging bulbs that can be interacted with and produce dynamic lighting on the fly and its actually really impressive. Most of the time however these things don't exist, only unbreakable room lights. Do like how firing your gun actually illuminates the environment though.

One huge issue however, and one that stands out above all of the other graphical issues is the bizarre haze that surrounds almost all of the environments. Draw distance is seemingly only a few feet in front of the character at times, with everything else being a blue sludge. Absurd amounts of banding are present around many light sources and just textures in general.

Mission 2 was beyond boring and was just a mindless sludge through wave after wave of human opponents with a seemingly random chance of reacting to bullets. Two encounters against a heavy shotgun trooper stand out in particular as mind numbing, forcing you to wait by a door and pop out every now and again for just a few shots. There is no real satisfaction to be hand out of this given the poor animations and hit reactions. And while I think it's often a lazy comparison and something I work to avoid using whenever possible, the next mission was a poor man's CoD level, complete with shaky environments and waiting by the doors for your squad mate to stop being useless.

The stealth mission isn't really interesting and only stands as a further example of how awful the game is. The enemy in question is poorly explained in terms of its metamorphosis and the method of dealing with them hilariously gamey and contrived. Switch time! Will say the art design was actually quite nice there, with lightning used to good effect. Kind of hard to be particularly frightened by the creatures when their walk makes one think of a exaggerated silent comedy waddle.

Not to mention the story which is just terrible in every possible way. Bad acting, poor dialogue and characters(Oh damn, O Neal!) and rough segways into each subsequent mission. The cutscenes also look really bad in terms of animation quality, not to mention the expected compression.

Despite all of this or exactly because of it me and my friend were still able to have some degree of fun. Mostly making fun of the terrible aspects and laughing at the ability to bling up your guns.

Multiplayer seems like it could be a lot of fun though, the few rounds I played of Escape were really tense and the objectives while repetitive within the context of each mode, kept things refreshing. Not entirely sure how to use each alien's special V ability though, will have to look into it before I play next.

But yeah, in conclusion this really is as a poor as most people are saying and how much enjoyment you get out of it depends on your ability to laugh about such aspects. I've been able to some degree do this but as someone whose been looking forward to this game for years it still hurts.

Edit: Two other important things I forgot to mention.
The lack of a hud in ultimate bad ass mode is quite nice and honestly the game is so much worse and cluttered with it on. The game is quite easy on ultimate badass so frankly I think it's the only way to play. And acid blood does damage you but its effects seem to be very random, and always minor.

The other point I forgot to mention is that the decision to let you stock all of you guns at once is absurd and makes it so you are never truly in danger. Hundreds of shotgun shells, dozens of explosives, etc. No threat.

Moofers

Note: Tired, depressed(and amused) after streaming the game for four hours so excuse any grammatical errors and such.

Streamed/played it for a quite a while and what a disappointment. The graphics, textures in particular, truly are poor beyond belief and animations often seem missing or non-existent. The alien gibs are rather lazy, they just splat into identical pieces of heart and liver. The interior environments are bizarrely basic in design, like a modern Doom almost with textures along the same base of quality lining desks and computer screens.

Its one or the other, dude.

Vee_One

Ok so played this for the last two hours and it is nowhere near as bad as the internet, reviews & GAF make out.

The game is definitely not perfect but I am having fun; at AU - $35 I don't feel like I have been ripped off.

I wonder how many people bagging this have actually played it.

MedIC86

Ok so played this for the last two hours and it is nowhere near as bad as the internet, reviews & GAF make out.

The game is definitely not perfect but I am having fun; at AU - $35 I don't feel like I have been ripped off.

Thats usually the problem on gaf, almost half of the people that are bitching didnt even go near the game.

Is it just me or does the game not use the centre channel in a surround set up (on PC)? I get positional sound from the rear speakers.

I'm sure it's been said but the first time a Xeno appeared the janky animation really screamed mediocrity. The scripting broke too after the first 'wait on the door to open so shoot things' bit so I had to reload. I am one of those fans of the series so I'll begrudgingly suffer through the single player at the very least.

Mafro

Pretty much exactly my thoughts so far. I've played through the first two and a half missions and enjoyed it so far. Certainly nothing yet to justify the low scores and some of the criticism it's getting. Not tried any of the multiplayer modes yet but will do after work tonight.

Jubbly

I do love a good bit of PR bullshit:

SEGA® of America, Inc., SEGA® Europe Ltd., Gearbox Software and Twentieth Century Fox Consumer Products® today announced that its highly buzzed-about blockbuster Aliens™: Colonial Marines video game is now available on store shelves across the globe for PlayStation®3 computer entertainment system, Xbox 360® video game and entertainment system from Microsoft and Windows® PC. A release date for the announced Wii U™ version will be revealed at a later time.

Pitting players against the universe’s deadliest killing machine, the Xenomorph, Aliens: Colonial Marines is the official video game continuation to one of Sci-Fi’s most renowned movie franchises. As the authentic addition to the ALIENS canon, the game’s stunning visuals and adrenaline pumping action will deliver a breathtakingly immersive four-player drop-in drop-out cooperative campaign and four expansive competitive multiplayer modes – Escape, Team Deathmath, Survivor and Extermination.

"highly buzzed-about blockbuster" - a) can't say "critically acclaimed" for obvious reason b) alliteration alert!

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Pretty much exactly my thoughts so far. I've played through the first two and a half missions and enjoyed it so far. Certainly nothing yet to justify the low scores and some of the criticism it's getting. Not tried any of the multiplayer modes yet but will do after work tonight.
On the PC, it at least runs properly, but there simply isn't anything interesting or exciting about it. The game simply feels dull.

If you combine that sentiment with the bugs and poor performance people are encountering elsewhere (particularly on consoles) it's not difficult to understand the disappointment.

Lettuce

I wonder if Gearbox would have been so vocal about them having nothing to do with the single player part of the game had the game been receiving glowing reports and reviews...I doubt it!.

There just trying to distance themselves from the game as much as possible now

derExperte

I remember thinking that it looked 95% scripted because things happend that coudln't happen in a game where you freely controlled your character. Also I didn't think even that left a particularily positive impression.

And man, only three levels in and I have already seen so much terrible scripting. Like when you are searching for an escape pod it's possible to run to an open pod-door before the PMCs run through it but you can't get in yourself, it's just a black void. Everything else is janky as hell too, why can I just run through my teammates? Well, at least as long as they aren't blocking a hallway because it's exposition time. And the clipping everywhere. This thing should still be in beta.

Top Bottom