• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
The game doesn't look anything like that. At all. The lighting is completely different. I don't think there's actually any real-time lighting at all. There are certainly no real-time shadows cast by most of the environment or characters..

Yes. I noticed this on the youtube vids. In a game that set in mostly dark areas. How could you not have real time shadows.

They would have been far better using the Crysis or UT engine for this game.

tumblr_mhxdihK0dM1rvdm3io1_500.gif

From Supererogatory

Posted 05/04/12 said:
Hate to say it, but I wouldn't get your hopes up too high for Colonial Marines. I used to work at Gearbox, and the development of that game has been a total train wreck, going on what, 6 years now? Gearbox isn't even making the game, except for the multiplayer. Primary development was outsourced to TimeGate Studios, which has a less than stellar past.

I hope it proves me wrong, as I still have alot of friends still working at Gearbox, but I am expecting it to be average at best.
Considering the MP sounds like the best part of the package this seems believable.

Vitor711

From Supererogatory

Considering the MP sounds like the best part of the package this seems believable.

Oh I did not know that. Then again, I actually enjoyed Section 8 Prejudice (well, the co-op at least). Sounds like the MP and Co-op are the best things about A:CM if not by much though.

Those F.E.A.R. expansions that TimeGate did were ROUGH though. Definitely a developer with a less than ideal track record.

So... should I send the CE back to amazon and get Dead space 3 instead? I used part of a $300 credit on amazon, but I'd prefer to put that toward something I'll enjoy if this game is as bad as everyone's saying.

WX3

I wish I knew how to photoshop "Sup." into the gif just as dude bro passes by!

I was excited to finally read some opinions of the game but I still bought it on Steam. Preloaded and all that. I just hope theres a bit of atmosphere somewhere in the game. Something done right. Many opinions so far just rip the game pretty good, and the Alien fan in me hopes that maybe I'll enjoy it based on bias alone for anything Alien, Predator, and AvP...

H2Yo

So the game has downloaded from Steam and I tried to launch it for the first time and I get the following error:

Failed to start game (missing executable).
See the Steam support site for more information.

I have verified all cache and it says it's 100%.

WTF Steam.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
So the game has downloaded from Steam and I tried to launch it for the first time and I get the following error:

Failed to start game (missing executable).
See the Steam support site for more information.

I have verified all cache and it says it's 100%.

WTF Steam.

You don't get the executable until the game is released. The rest of the game is pre-loaded.

cyberheater

But the game is released (in Australia and New Zealand), and that poster is in Melbourne.

H2Yo try restarting Steam, you should get an update that fixes it.

Okay. Looking forward to impressions and screens for the PC version.

H2Yo

But the game is released (in Australia and New Zealand), and that poster is in Melbourne.

H2Yo try restarting Steam, you should get an update that fixes it.

Tried this, even tried rebooting my machine. The game says READY TO PLAY in steam.
I suppose I'll wait till the end of the day and just hope my game updates when it sits midnight in the US.

cyberheater

Tried this, even tried rebooting my machine. The game says READY TO PLAY in steam.
I suppose I'll wait till the end of the day and just hope my game updates when it sits midnight in the US.

Surely others must be in the same boat. Have you checked the Steam forums?

Peagles

Verified your game cache? What's your total file size? I had to do two updates before I could actually play without issues. Mine's 6306MB on file.

H2Yo

cyberheater

Seems HEAPS of people are having this issue:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/49540/discussions/0/846944689763124876/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/49540/discussions/0/846944689762943025/

Yeah verified cache and it seems fine.

Aliens Colonial Marines Folder size in Steamapps folder is: 6.07GB (6,521,498,993 bytes).

Seems it should be out for you.

MrWinne 1 hour ago
The game is now unlocked for Australia and New Zealand. It will be released to most other countries over the next 24 hours. Please try again if you had the missing executable error. Our apologies for the delay.

Peagles

Seems HEAPS of people are having this issue:

http://steamcommunity.com/app/49540/discussions/0/846944689763124876/
http://steamcommunity.com/app/49540/discussions/0/846944689762943025/

Yeah verified cache and it seems fine.

Aliens Colonial Marines Folder size in Steamapps folder is: 6.07GB (6,521,498,993 bytes).

What's the size if you go to properties in your library and go to the local files tab? Mine's 6.15GB where you are checking so I'm betting you are missing the update somehow...

H2Yo

What's the size if you go to properties in your library and go to the local files tab? Mine's 6.15GB where you are checking so I'm betting you are missing the update somehow...

Jesus Christ, mine is 6219MB, somehow bigger than yours? hahaha

Mik3F

I may be in the minority here but so far I am enjoying this. It may not be the AAA title that we all hoped for but it has kept me entertained for the evening.

Can't wait to get stuck back in tomorrow evening

cyberheater

I may be in the minority here but so far I am enjoying this. It may not be the AAA title that we all hoped for but it has kept me entertained for the evening.

Can't wait to get stuck back in tomorrow evening

I'm glad you'r enjoying it. This is GAF and often, most of the folks are over critical.

Yeah, I'm kind furious with Pitchford. Farming out the SP campaign - for an Aliens sequel focused on "story" and "lore" and all this other shit he spewed. He's come out of this really sleazy, and this is hot of the tails of Duke.

Gearbox has demonstrated they're a C grade developer who got lucky with BL.

Raide

Yeah, I'm kind furious with Pitchford. Farming out the SP campaign - for an Aliens sequel focused on "story" and "lore" and all this other shit he spewed. He's come out of this really sleazy, and this is hot of the tails of Duke.

Gearbox has demonstrated they're a C grade developer who got lucky with BL.

BL 2 was awesome. I think they just like grabbing games that have gone into dev hell, throwing it around a bit and finally getting it released.

JRW

So... should I send the CE back to amazon and get Dead space 3 instead? I used part of a $300 credit on amazon, but I'd prefer to put that toward something I'll enjoy if this game is as bad as everyone's saying.

I'm up to Chapter 8 in Dead Space 3 and enjoying the heck out of it, I'm a huge fan of the first 2 games and this one definitely feels like dead space, I can see where people got the COD reference but luckily this only occurred in the first 10 minutes of the game and then you're back to fighting creatures in dimly lit hallways.

BL 2 was awesome. I think they just like grabbing games that have gone into dev hell, throwing it around a bit and finally getting it released.

There was never another developer for ACM. GB sent the game in development hell, there's no one else to blame here.

Top Bottom