• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

Eusis

I wonder if stuff like this would just push Sega down a Namco-esque path, where after failing with western developed games they focus on the gold they have (Total War and Football Manager) and double down on their Japanese stuff. I was honestly hoping this would at least be a solid enjoyable shooter, something to get on sale at least, but I guess it's simply not worth bothering with. :/

I wonder if stuff like this would just push Sega down a Namco-esque path, where after failing with western developed games they focus on the gold they have (Total War and Football Manager) and double down on their Japanese stuff. I was honestly hoping this would at least be a solid enjoyable shooter, something to get on sale at least, but I guess it's simply not worth bothering with. :/

I feel horrible for Sega, I have a feeling they were really banking on this one to sell decently.
Well, maybe it will.. but it won't really engender much positive vibes for them.

I'm definitely buying it on sale for $5. The atmosphere looks pretty decent from the vids I've seen.

Like I said in the other thread, I have this great idea for an Aliens game, it would be better than this, that's for sure.

Anyone want to hear what I have in my head?

I think everyone already has the idea of a better game than this in their heads.

Its not that hard really to top this frankly amateur mod/total conversion level attempt being sold full price.

Would you have done any thing done differently from AvP 1 & 2?
And even AvP2010, there were some cool things in that game, fatality finisher conga lines notwithstanding

Jedi2016

I imagine their response will be something along the lines of "We gave them exactly what they asked for, and they still don't like it" and they'll never even attempt to make another one.

It's scary that AvP2010 is being considered a superior Aliens experience for this generation. I actually passed on it during the last Steam sale when it was like, five bucks.

At this point I don't think we'll ever get the Aliens game we deserve after all these years.

twinturbo2

butthurt Heat fan
I think everyone already has the idea of a better game than this in their heads.

Its not that hard really to top this frankly amateur mod/total conversion level attempt being sold full price.

Would you have done any thing done differently from AvP 1 & 2?
And even AvP2010, there were some cool things in that game, fatality finisher conga lines notwithstanding

I honestly haven't played any of the AVP games, even though I have AVP2010 in my Steam library.

I actually have another idea for a survival horror in space game, one that I had in my head for a while, but I want to write a novel about it first, then get it published, then get someone to make a game about it.

It's been in development for 6+ years. They may not have had a choice, depending on what happened during that period.

I am sure as part of the license deal with Epic, they get new drops of the engine on a regular basis. If a drop diverged so greatly from what... uh.. from what... I guess.. whoever really made this game, they could have branched off the mainline from version control and just kept the default rendered.

Seems to me Sega got fleeced on this.

Up to level 5, game is not as bad as I was led to believe by this thread.

This is what I expect.

It seems some people have unrealistic expectations for what they think an Aliens game would be. Put too many aliens in and then it's a generic shooter, not enough and it's boring. Add new aliens and it detracts from the established canon.

I haven't played this YET as I'm still waiting for the unlock, but, I imagine that the complaints that some have, will be relegated to the console. I'll be on PC playing it on the first go on Ultimate Bad Ass difficulty. I think I'll have plenty of fun, maxed out, down sampled, at 60+fps.

bangai-o

Banned
Like I said in the other thread, I have this great idea for an Aliens game, it would be better than this, that's for sure.

Anyone want to hear what I have in my head?

better studio basically.

Starbreeze-Icon.png

stealth gameplay, character driven plot. Riddick
psychological horror, with melee and gunplay. The Darkness.

SparkTR

"We're in the pipe: five by FUCK"

That's an actual line in the game. It's like they took everything good about Aliens, and then added a twist of manshooter to it.

I lost my crap at the original gif, but this one really did it for me. Thank you for successfully making me spit up my coffee.

Now I don't know what to do with my preorder. I felt like keeping it for the power lifter. But after seeing some videos and hearing whats been said, I'm having second thoughts. Maybe this might get the gamefly treatment.

I'm definitely buying it on sale for $5. The atmosphere looks pretty decent from the vids I've seen.

For $5 or even as high as $20, I think I might bite too, depending on how good the MP turns out. I already know the SP is crap, just need to see the the MP.

That one .gif that everyone is mocking with the alien walking the dinosaur is actually the highlight of the SP game, too. I was tense just watching that section.

I imagine their response will be something along the lines of "We gave them exactly what they asked for, and they still don't like it" and they'll never even attempt to make another one.

It's scary that AvP2010 is being considered a superior Aliens experience for this generation. I actually passed on it during the last Steam sale when it was like, five bucks.

At this point I don't think we'll ever get the Aliens game we deserve after all these years.

lol, I did the same thing

Jubbly

As amusing as the .gif is, the mission it comes from is the creepiest in the game imo, and the one that best reflects the tension of AvP.

ZwUzYbj.gif

This game blows. Whatever poster said that it was like a total conversion mod was right.

I'm very, very disappointed. I'm at the point now where I'm just running through it with Hicks Shotgun just to see the end, not really being methodical, and the scary thing is that it's working.

Also, AVP2010 is superior in every regard to this game. At least the Aliens felt threatening.

CipherT

Neo Member
I had heaps of fun cooping the game with two friends, one of which is a big time Aliens fan like myself! We encountered heaps of questionable things but we just swept them under the rug (Because we had so much fun in Coop). We have just started playing the multiplayer and its fun but its also just a stupid console port of a thing with all that matchmaking stuff!!!

In short if you don't have friends who enjoy the Aliens universe then do not waste your money on this game please :D

I think this is me done with Gearbox for good now. I know technically they didnt make this, but they should be ashamed for pushing such a shoddy product out with their name on it.

I did the very first alien fight last night. After its initial attack i managed to bamboozle it by walking backwards up a flight of about 3 steps. The Alien jsut sat at the bottom and waited to die

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oNDnr0Yhg0E

Absolutely pathetic. Go play AVP 2010 on hard and try that shit. I tried it last night and the first xeno killed me in seconds with acid spray from shooting it from too close a range. AVP 2010 is like fucking Half Life levels of amazing compared to this.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
I did the very first alien fight last night. After its initial attack i managed to bamboozle it by walking backwards up a flight of about 3 steps. The Alien jsut sat at the bottom and waited to die

I heard the A.I was bad but not this bad. So poor.

liquidfox00

Neo Member
After playing briefly and completing the first mission I feel like it may be receiving a little too much hate. I'm enjoying it but yes the engine looks incredibly dated and yes the AI is shit and yes there are some crazy bugs on the PC version........but it's still kind of fun.

It deserves all the crappy reviews that it gets but if you don't pay full price and you can go into the game with a popcorn flick mentality there is still fun to be had.

After playing briefly and completing the first mission I feel like it may be receiving a little too much hate. I'm enjoying it but yes the engine looks incredibly dated and yes the AI is shit and yes there are some crazy bugs on the PC version........but it's still kind of fun.

It deserves all the crappy reviews that it gets but if you don't pay full price and you can go into the game with a popcorn flick mentality there is still fun to be had.

Wait until you get to the second mission ;)
New page, new self promotion http://www.twitch.tv/awesomeoutof10

Ban Puncher

It's okay guys, the Wii U version will be like Ninja Gaiden 3: Razors Edge with all the problems fixed and with new exciting features and bonus content! It won't be a total embarrassment for Gearbox! The game can be saved!

BELIEVE!!

lol

;_;

Top Bottom