• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Aliens: Colonial Marines |OT| Game Over Man, GAME OVER!

So they actually referenced Spaceballs

GFfDZDm.jpg

.......Okay, I have to admit, that's pretty fucking cool.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Congrats to Visceral. You've made a better Aliens game then Aliens for the third time.

Eh, Dead Space necromorphs are really not the same. No radar in Dead Space, the weapons are weird tools, and it has that pseudo magic stuff. Not calling Dead Space bad, but it's way different than what people look for in Aliens.

Something somewhat similar might be Natural Selection 2.

Endo Punk

I heard of this game back in 2001. It's a shame it couldn't deliver. I wish SEGA(or whom ever holds the license) considers a survival horror Alien game, that would be a dream come true.

Ok so played this for the last two hours and it is nowhere near as bad as the internet, reviews & GAF make out.

The game is definitely not perfect but I am having fun; at AU - $35 I don't feel like I have been ripped off.

I wonder how many people bagging this have actually played it.

Unfortunatly, you will be alone on this stance for the most part. I'm with you though. I play literally everything released though, so I've played some truly, horrible games that makes Aliens looks fairly good (damnation, quantom theory, etc)

Something must be wrong with my brain.

All these youtube videos and terrible reviews just make me want to play the game so much more.

I really can't wait to get to playing this thing. It's going to be amazing.

Edit: Yessssss

JH83AIY.jpg

Unfortunatly, you will be alone on this stance for the most part. I'm with you though. I play literally everything released though, so I've played some truly, horrible games that makes Aliens looks fairly good (damnation, quantom theory, etc)

Same here, part of me wants to send back the CE version as it's sitting on my porch now, but then again I want to judge for myself. And I still haven't heard much on the multiplayer aspect of the game as that what Gearbox truly worked on and that's the reason I bought it. So as I told my friends, I'll be the Guinea Pig and take one for the team. LOL! No game with this much development time can be THAT bad.........or am I about to be rudely surprised.

I heard of this game back in 2001. It's a shame it couldn't deliver. I wish SEGA(or whom ever holds the license) considers a survival horror Alien game, that would be a dream come true.

It's been in development 6 years. Let's be fair to Gearbox: it didn't take 12 years to make this piece of shit.

Effect

I'm hoping Nintendo hurries up with DS downloads on the 3DS. Is Aliens Infestation hard to find these days? I remember it getting a good reception when it came out.

Eh, Dead Space necromorphs are really not the same. No radar in Dead Space, the weapons are weird tools, and it has that pseudo magic stuff. Not calling Dead Space bad, but it's way different than what people look for in Aliens.

Something somewhat similar might be Natural Selection 2.

dead space however delivers on more of the "alien/aliens" bullet points than this game seems to.

Same here, part of me wants to send back the CE version as it's sitting on my porch now, but then again I want to judge for myself. And I still haven't heard much on the multiplayer aspect of the game as that what Gearbox truly worked on and that's the reason I bought it. So as I told my friends, I'll be the Guinea Pig and take one for the team. LOL! No game with this much development time can be THAT bad.........or am I about to be rudely surprised.

I wanted mine for the figure alone. Now I know I'll get alot of shit for saying this, but just an observation. If a game like Deadly Premonition, which has alot of issues (regardless if you say it was designed that way or not) can be critically acclaimed, not sure how people that look at a game like that and see past it's flaws don't do the same for many other games. Granted Deadly Premonition has excellent characters and story imo. Though I'm looking at this from more a technically point. Anyways not a jab at Deadly Premonition just curious what gives some games free passes versus others. I guess people could argue there is nothing redeeming about Aliens Colonial Marines, but again, different strokes/different folks.

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive so I can't give my definitive opinion but this game seems pretty darn comparable to 007 Legends that came out last year. It just feels like a mishandled disaster that shits on the series that it suppose to be championing.

I'm still waiting for my copy to arrive so I can't give my definitive opinion but this game seems pretty darn comparable to 007 Legends that came out last year. It just feels like a mishandled disaster that shits on the series that it suppose to be championing.

Well I really disliked Legends (my review showcased that), but having more fun with Aliens then that. It def has problems but I'm having some mild fun. Worth $60? Not for most people. Only the die hard Alien fans willing to look past the issues, and want it now.

Well I really disliked Legends (my review showcased that), but having more fun with Aliens then that. It def has problems but I'm having some mild fun. Worth $60? Not for most people. Only the die hard Alien fans willing to look past the issues, and want it now.

I'm glad you think it's better then Legends cause seriously screw that game. And I might as well ask, are you gonna make an Aliens review because yes I do watch your videos?

So that polished demo wasn't real, was just a vertical slice?

Most of the game wasn't even made by Gearbox, according to this Eurogamer article.

Can Gearbox go for a hat-trick with a poorly managed, developmental hell Brothers in Arms game? I've been waiting for a proper sequel since 2008.

Loaded up the game on Steam and played for about 45 minutes on Hardened difficulty. Not nearly as bad as some reviews made it out to be but its not exactly good either. Kind of curious to try out the online coop and the adverserial game modes but not getting any hits on matchmaking. If anyone else is in the same boat as me and wants to to try to get a group setup, PM me.

I'm glad you think it's better then Legends cause seriously screw that game. And I might as well ask, are you gonna make an Aliens review because yes I do watch your videos?

I am, most likely done this weekend. I am studying for a cert test on Thursday so game time is low, should have it up monday on the latest. I plan to talk about the how the whole situation of this game makes me happy, mad, and sad. It's a big cluster fuck really all considering it's history.

Also compared to Legends, at least Aliens has a plot (good or bad regardless) Legends was just mish mosh of levels and that game over, wait for skyfall DLC ending missions really pissed me the fuck off.

alphaNoid

Banned
Loaded up the game on Steam and played for about 45 minutes on Hardened difficulty. Not nearly as bad as some reviews made it out to be but its not exactly good either. Kind of curious to try out the online coop and the adverserial game modes but not getting any hits on matchmaking. If anyone else is in the same boat as me and wants to to try to get a group setup, PM me.

I'll be online tonight, assuming I get my game code emailed to me today.

Has anyone made a summary of all the bad things shown about this game? The gifs, videos, articles?

I really want to go down this rabbit hole, without reading the last 20 or so pages :p

007 at least had the excuse of being a victim of a horribly rushed development cycle. While I highly doubt that CM was in continuous, active development for a full six years, its total has to be at least 3-3.5 years, right?

jaaz

Played for an hour on the PC (steam). Maxed out all settings. It's not pretty, but its nowhere near as ugly as its being described. This is on PC however.

Also, I haven't been bored yet. Maybe its because I'm an Aliens nerd.
How can you not go into the hanger for the first time and not smile when you see the tell-tale signs of the struggle that happened there at the end of Aliens?

So yeah, not a "9" game, but nowhere near a "1" or "2". I'd give it a solid 7 so far. It's ridiculous and frankly irresponsible to give it that low a score. Must be cool these days to trash a game mercilessly. Everyone loves a train wreck I suppose.

Just picked it up. Impressions so far:

-terribad graphics, but the art direction isn't bad so it's not a huge deal
-fully cusomizable buttons, a major plus
-great original music so far, definitely faithful to all 3 movies
-I can confirm there is no "horde" multiplayer co-op mode. It's called "Bug Hunt" and is the first DLC arriving in March.

Agree with the above ^ for a big Aliens fan it's looking like a 7/10 so far.

jufonuk

not tag worthy
Just picked it up. Impressions so far:

-terribad graphics, but the art direction isn't bad so it's not a huge deal
-fully cusomizable buttons, a major plus
-great original music so far, definitely faithful to all 3 movies
-I can confirm there is no "horde" multiplayer co-op mode. It's called "Bug Hunt" and is the first DLC arriving in March.

Agree with the above ^ for a big Aliens fan it's looking like a 7/10 so far.

Okay. This is an emotional moment for all of us. I know that. But let's not make snap judgments, please

Okay I played the first mission (I know at least 3 from the youtube videos) and I already love this game (xbox360)

Graphics are okay
Atmosphere is great
Weapons feel great....would compare it to Doom, I love that
Game runs smoothly, no tearing at all (still early in the game though)
Motion tracker is NOT useless...maybe if you play this game on easy

The critics are laughable, I expected the worst. This shooter feels oldschool...in a good way.

It's not horror like Alien 1. It's action like Aliens.

derExperte

Also, I haven't been bored yet. Maybe its because I'm an Aliens nerd.
How can you not go into the hanger for the first time and not smile when you see the tell-tale signs of the struggle that happened there at the end of Aliens?

Because it's uninspired fanwankery.
Like when you enter Hadley's Hope (without ever closing the front door again despite hearing some screams outside..) and after 10 seconds find an audio recording with Newt's family.

Especially Alien-nerds should shake their heads constantly. The story, the gameplay, the bugs, the animations, terrible scripting, lame action, lame aliens, almost every aspect is bad. So yeah, I agree with all the review that give this trash at most 4/10, personally I would go lower.

Banned
Aliens: Colonial Marines 2

Developed by Gearbox

Published by Ubisoft

Delayed a whole 7 months even when it's gone gold.

Directed by Michael Bay.

PS4 exclusive.

Did I scare you :) ?

Top Bottom