• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Nintendo DS bullshit goes in here

olimario

Banned
Metroid Prime Hunters HAS nice graphics.
Rayman DS looks better than mario 64 DS graphically, but Mario's bright colors and simplistic style make it easier on the eyes.

lexi

Banned
naz said:
why is Japan on its 3rd DS commercial and we have yet to see one for the US?

Good question. Didn't I read somewhere that the DS would be backed by Nintendo's biggest ever launch budget? I remember reading a figure of 40 million.

It's being released in less than a month, when does the 'blitz' begin?

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Went into Early Learning Centre today and saw this!

106685ma.jpg

Its the leappad leapster. A handheld console for 4+ year olds. Cross pad on left, two buttons on right, and a touch screen :D

Comes with carts with educational games, and has a built in doodling application.

Memles

Look, while I know they claim to be looking to sell the DS to an older age group...the possibilities for educational software using the two screens and the touch screen are there. And it could actually be a great learning tool for small children.

neptunes

well, I heard some gamestop employees (USA) say that they're getting demo kiosks by the end of next week.

anyone else want to confim that?

So will Nntendo ever release a minigame cart...that way we can play simple games like...

table-hockey-20040915102248010.jpg

I'm disappointed that this game will not be available for play.

neptunes

NMI Retail Representative said:
Alright guys. Here's the real deal regarding the NDS demo kiosk installs.
NDS Kiosks will be installed BY NES Merchandising Inc. (NMI) Retail Reps. The Kiosks will be installed during the second week of November beginning 11.11.04. The first stores to recieve them will be Wal-Mart, Toy's R Us, Circuit City, GameStop, Game Crazy and EBgames. Not ALL locations will be outfitted with NDS interactives before launch.
If you work at any of these stores, be extra nice to your friendly neighborhood Nintendo Rep. We are working overtime to make sure everyone gets to try them as soon as possible.

FYI, the kiosks will be equipped with stylus's attached to a high tensity wire. As with any in-store display, they will be stolen routinely. Again, if you work at any of the afformentioned stores, keep an eye on these. Inform your local rep about any theft or damage issues. Thanks. source

ok

lexi

Banned
I don't think its too late, but it certainly is late.

It's not like the competition is breathing down their neck. Sony have yet to announce anything solid about the PSP itself, let alone a North American launch date.

duderon

rollin' in the gutter
lockii said:
I don't think its too late, but it certainly is late.

It's not like the competition is breathing down their neck. Sony have yet to announce anything solid about the PSP itself, let alone a North American launch date.

Plus there are only going to be 1 million+ DS's in the US before christmas. I'm sure even with the advertising starting late, there is going to be great word of mouth when the second shipment comes in.

Brofist

Scalemail Ted said:
So will Nntendo ever release a minigame cart...that way we can play simple games like...

table-hockey-20040915102248010.jpg

I have a feeling there will be a decent homebrew scene for the DS (or hope anyway).

hooo

boooy
AniHawk said:
There will be no GC-DS connectivity.
Thought, I have to wonder how long that'll last. If there's demand, I can't imagine, it would cost that much to make a wavebird receiver-like device that would support it. The DS supports GBA, it has an overclocked GBA inside for the game, and a more powerful processor to handle the connection. The question is, did they leave an opening for themselves in the hardware to do so?

At this point, I think the lack of any GBA connectivity to another GBA or GC is to protect its market space somewhat and disassociate the DS from connectivity and being what some might think is an oversized SP.

Blackbird

GSG Flash said:
this thread must go back to first page!!!!

then do so. :p

anyways, seen that weird promotional stunt over at WWE's website? I wonder whether it's to promote some WWE game for the DS, or simply a NDS promotion itself...

atomsk

Party Pooper
TRU computer updates again...

NDS Sprung 29.99
NDS Rayman 29.99
NDS Asphalt Urban GT 29.99
NDS Super Mario 64 34.99

naz said:
why is Japan on its 3rd DS commercial and we have yet to see one for the US?
I actually just saw one today on G4/TechTV...it was interesting but not quite that good it could have been better. It started off with two blueish squares on the screen with a black background and a womans voice saying draw something in the squares then it paused a few minutes and it turned into a ds. I expect to see alot more and alot better ds commercials in the next few days and then to start seeing them more consistantly.

Memles

aperfectt00l said:
I actually just saw one today on G4/TechTV...it was interesting but not quite that good it could have been better. It started off with two blueish squares on the screen with a black background and a womans voice saying draw something in the squares then it paused a few minutes and it turned into a ds. I expect to see alot more and alot better ds commercials in the next few days and then to start seeing them more consistantly.

It paused for a few seconds...and there's a huge thread on the ads...and all three are available for download at IGN and through the thread itself.

And just to add...Amazon.ca is listing Super Mario 64 DS at $39.99 Canadian...and a 3 Pack of Stylus...es...or is it Styli? Either way, it's listed at $7 Canadian.

Dragmire

Scalemail Ted said:
Maybe the table hockey game will appear in Wario Ware DS or Mario 64 DS as a mini-game. That's what I'm hoping, at least.

When the DS was announced, I had my doubts about the system and its eventual software...but I never doubted the potential for amazingly interesting games that could be made for it. Upon seeing all of the games to be released for it, so far, I am unimpressed.

Yeah, there are some interesting uses for existing game designs...but many are simply retrofitted games with some new functionality to justify their release on the system. Of all the companies that could really go crazy with the Cheeze Whiz, I thought that Nintendo would really blow everyone away with some truly inventive stuff... So far, much of it doesn't strike me as particularly amazing. Not horrible, but not amazing. Certainly, there aren't enough titles that scream, 'YOU MUST BUY THIS SYSTEM FOR THIS GAME!!'

So far, I'm getting one just for SM and a better screen for GBA games...kinda sad.

I want someone to make this game, god damn it!

- An action-adventure with a game mechanic including a magic pen. When the character powers up, obtains, or creates the pen from assembled pieces, you can activate it and on the bottom screen, are given a limited amount of time to draw in tools, creatures, or other items that allow you to progress. You collect shape patterns that, when fairly closely approximated using the stylus, can create the item that the shape corresponds to. Draw a bridge over water; a key to open a door; a huge monster to frighten off enemies or even fight for you. Perhaps, you could, for a limited amount of time, freeze the action to 'study' an enemy...a rough shape profile would be displayed and in that time, you could 'copy' that silhouette and create a clone of it to fight for you or even control them. All sort of interesting puzzles and whatnot could be possible with this design... :(

I thought that Squenix would have decided to create a spin-off game using an FF VI character with that Sketch ability....uhhh...Relm or whatever. Do it!!

Anyway, November's almost here...

Top Bottom