• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All Nintendo DS bullshit goes in here

jarrod

Banned
Holy crap, Denaris Entertainment has a nice work history....

Games
-Giana Sisters (C64) Rainbow Arts 1987
-Katakis / Denaris (C64) Rainbow Arts 1988
-R-Type (C64) Activision 1989
-Turrican (C64 / Amiga) Rainbow Arts 1990-1991
-Turrican 2 (C64 / Amiga) Rainbow Arts 1991
-Super Turrican (NES) Softgold 1992
-Enforcer (C64) Golden Disc 64 1992
-Rendering Ranger (SNES) Virgin Japan 1995
-Ghouls (PC) Softgold 1997
-Turrican 3D (PC) Softgold / THQ 1998-1999
-Micro Machines V3 (GBC) THQ 2000
-Katakis 3D (GBC) 2001
-Counter Terrorist Special Forces (PSOne) L.S.P. 2002
-Moorhuhn Kart (PSOne) Phenomedia AG 2003
-XGRA Mobile (Mobile) Acclaim 2003
-MSports Ski Jumping (Mobile) Mobilescope AG 2003

Demos / Presentations
-Zanzarah (PS2) THQ 2002
-Star Wars (GBA) Lucas Arts 2002
-Star Wars Episode 1: Podracer (GBA) Lucas Arts 2002
-Xtreme G3 (GBA) Acclaim 2002
-Micro Machines V3 (GBA) Codemasters 2002
-Mario Kart XXL (GBA) Nintendo 2004

...these are the guys behind Turrican & Rendering Ranger? I guess they left Factor 5?

cybamerc

Will start substantiating his hate
Not sure if Manfred Trenz actually worked for F5 but they haven't worked together since the early 90ies either way.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
JackFrost2012 said:
Yes, and according to the text, the successfulness of their attack is determined by the performance of the baseball batter on TV. Tokita so crazy!
I would seriously buy the game based on that alone. Well of course it has to be decent but you get the idea, CRAZY = GOOD.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
Factor 5 did the Amiga/Atari ST versions of Turrican and Turrican 2. Manfred Trentz, as far as I remember, was working with them on those two games. Andreas Echer and Manfred did the graphics for Turrican games.

Manfred is also the programmer/designer/graphics guy of the original Turrican on C64.

jarrod

Banned
cybamerc said:
Not sure if Manfred Trenz actually worked for F5 but they haven't worked together since the early 90ies either way.
Yeah, I'm guessing he had little invlovement with the SNES/Genesis/GB Turricans then. Though R2: Rendering Ranger is suppossed to shame all those games anyway. :)

He was rumored to be doing a R2 GBA sequel awhile back... hopefully that'll be moved to DS also.

Just an update tot he pricing situation:

Gamestop and EBgames.com have adjusted Feel the Magic to the real price of $29.99.

Gamestop

EBgames.com

245935.jpg

So call off the missle atks, Saddam is not stockpiling WMD's in Heaven. :|

jarrod

Banned
Hmm... I wonder if all DS games will be $29.99 then (besides stuff like Ping Pals and One-Line Puzzle, which would be $19.99 territory)? I'm still thinking EA and Activision stuff will come in at $34.99 though...

AniHawk

I just got a job at Gamestop yesterday. Manager was telling a customer the DS was coming with Metroid Prime Hunters demo, but the games were gonna be $50. I corrected him by saying the games will be $30, and that the DS also has PictoChat built in (the customer asked us about the system, so I wanted to make sure he knew the facts). Later the same manager said that when we have to stay until 4:00 AM for Halo 2 that if Steven (the Nintendo fan manager) brought up the DS once to punch him.

It's going to be a long holiday season. :(

explodet

Well, I've just put my preorder down. I'll be buying a US model and have someone bring it up for me during the holidays, should save me some cash. $200 for a Canadian DS. Pfft.

AniHawk said:
Later the same manager said that when we have to stay until 4:00 AM for Halo 2 that if Steven (the Nintendo fan manager) brought up the DS once to punch him.
:lol

Just say "You mentioned the DS, I have to hit you now, store policy" loudly enough so everyone can hear you before you do it.

Memles

explodet said:
Well, I've just put my preorder down. I'll be buying a US model and have someone bring it up for me during the holidays, should save me some cash. $200 for a Canadian DS. Pfft.

$150 x 1.2 (If we're going official currency here) = $180.

You're going through all of that for $20? Seems like a lot of work, to me. Plus, without French instructions, however will you sleep at night knowing you are hurting the bilingualism of this nation?

Now start supporting Pierre Trudeau in the "Greatest Canadian" contest to make up for the destruction of the fragile fibres of blingualism we have in this great country of Canada.

explodet

I'm saving just over $30, actually. Which will go towards buying a DS game which I will buy here in Canada. French instructions and all.

And I *was* going to support Don Cherry as the Greatest Canadian (the ties he wears are leagues better than Trudeau's), but I suppose I can change my vote.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
AniHawk said:
It's going to be a long holiday season. :(
I've noticed that a third of the gamestore managers are serious trolls (ie: obnoxious assholes) like the ones you find on these forums, the other third just don't really give a shit about videogames and approach the job like any other, and the last third are really hardcore into a particular platform/genre so they don't have adequate knowledge but are still respectful and try their best to help the customers with those.

Seriously, every manager falls into one of those three categories. I've only seen a few employees who actively seem to care and are non-biased when it comes to the consumer.

Memles

explodet said:
And I *was* going to support Don Cherry as the Greatest Canadian (the ties he wears are leagues better than Trudeau's), but I suppose I can change my vote.

As a newly tagged defender of the man, I approve of this decision. And the deficit. Oh boy, I LOVE me some deficit.

On the DS front, I might make someone drive me down to the EB down the road so I can give it a try.

jarrod

Banned
Ridge Racer actually doesn't look half bad in that video... if there's a traditional control setup it might be good enough to hold me over for the PSP game. :)

AniHawk

TekunoRobby said:
I've noticed that a third of the gamestore managers are serious trolls (ie: obnoxious assholes) like the ones you find on these forums, the other third just don't really give a shit about videogames and approach the job like any other, and the last third are really hardcore into a particular platform/genre so they don't have adequate knowledge but are still respectful and try their best to help the customers with those.

Yeah, if this guy starts affecting sales and pushing people away from platforms which they are clearly interested in- doesn't matter what system (since there's a huge Nintendo fan as manager and a huge PS2/Xbox fan as manager)- I'm going to talk to them about it or go over their head.

It creates a crappy experience for the customer, and makes you feel unwelcome in the store in general. I'll only give my opinion when asked it, or the customer is conflicted over a choice.

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Just in case when I said: "like the ones you find on these forums" I was specifically talking about the trolls. Not people who post here and are managers at those establishments.

Anyways Ani I've seen and been in the same problem multiple times and it never gets resolved. While I feel celebratory that you got a job and you seem to be really looking foward too it I feel bad because you are in a crappy position. I would know; it's really hard when you're trying to honestly help a customer find a good PS2 game when the manager waltz in and starts telling them to get rid of their "crappy" PS2 and get an Xbox (happened to me a few times with a particular chap). I've gone over their heads and to assistant managers but it seems to only make the situation worse. This type of overbearing personality unfortunately overlaps to the rest of the store and they usually expect their employees to follow suit and give the same opinions.

TekunoRobby said:
Just in case when I said: "like the ones you find on these forums" I was specifically talking about the trolls. Not people who post here and are managers at those establishments.

Anyways Ani I've seen and been in the same problem multiple times and it never gets resolved. While I feel celebratory that you got a job and you seem to be really looking foward too it I feel bad because you are in a crappy position. I would know; it's really hard when you're trying to honestly help a customer find a good PS2 game when the manager waltz in and starts telling them to get rid of their "crappy" PS2 and get an Xbox (happened to me a few times with a particular chap). I've gone over their heads and to assistant managers but it seems to only make the situation worse. This type of overbearing personality unfortunately overlaps to the rest of the store and they usually expect their employees to follow suit and give the same opinions.

There can't be too many of those. All the managers I've given my CV to were either serious people that were focused on just doing the job or seemed to know a bit in the gaming scene without forcing their opinions on anyone.

Their employees however, sing a different tune.

None of them ever called me back either :(

AniHawk

TekunoRobby said:

I feel bad because I helped talk some kid out of Sly 2 for Ratchet & Clank: Going Commando. He wanted a new platforming game and it was only $4 more new... I wasn't an employee then, but I should have just told him what was good about the game and let him decide. I won't be doing that again unless someone specifically asks my opinion on something.

This same manager also has been fighting Steven (Nintendo guy) on restarting the Super Smash Club. The Super Smash Club rewards customers for purchasing and pre-purchasing Nintendo hardware and games. There were also tournaments held with Nintendo games every month, and the winner would get a free game for either GC or GBA. In addition, they also had more points added to their account. I had 300 points before this guy Frankie stopped it from happening. All the prizes and rewards come out of Steven's pockets. At Gamestop, there really is nothing that it offers over stores like EB or Best Buy in terms of deals. This would have gathered more customers to the store and made some loyal while expanding the demographic a little more and reaching out to different types of customers.

Before Steven came to this new store, there were no GBA games on the wall. I hope I can help convince Frankie to let the Super Smash Club return. Maybe compromise by letting there be Halo 2 tourneys and the like as well.

I did a search and didn't see these posted yet, so here are some screenshots from Ridge Racer DS

ds_ridgeracer_ss_01.jpg

ds_ridgeracer_ss_02.jpg

ds_ridgeracer_ss_03.jpg

ds_ridgeracer_ss_04.jpg

ds_ridgeracer_ss_05.jpg

ds_ridgeracer_ss_06.jpg

ds_ridgeracer_ss_07.jpg

ds_ridgeracer_ss_08.jpg

I got to play it yesterday, and I have to admit, it was a lot of fun. Granted, I was crashing and swerving all over the place, but that's any game of Ridge Racer for me. :)

I also had the chance to play Asphalt Urban GT from Ubi Soft. I really wasn't interested, but after seeing a screenshot, I sorta wish I had...

ds_augt_ss_01.jpg

And finally, the US name for Nintendogs is Puppy Times.

Sorry if all this info is old.

Fortnintey

How was the handling of RRDS? Most reports were that the game controlled like ass, so your post gives me hope for this title yet.

Jonnyram

jarrod said:
Games
-Giana Sisters (C64) Rainbow Arts 1987
I dunno how they get a Nintendo license after working on the biggest Mario rip off ever :)

Demos / Presentations
-Mario Kart XXL (GBA) Nintendo 2004
!!! Wow, I know it's only a demonstration, but it sounds interesting. Couldn't find another instance on Google though :(

That G4 news thingy of the DS conference was pretty cool. The DS's screenlooks a lot nicer than the GBA SP's, I was surprised they got such clear (well, relatively, still nowhere near as clar and awesome as that PSP screen) pictures of it just using a camera. Almost made me want to get the DS at launch! Must resist...till...Advance Wars....

Kon Tiki

Banned
Jonnyram said:
That's the same weekend as Tokyo Touch! DS event. The Osaka Touch! DS event takes place the week before on the 7th.
:eek:

I hope for some new videos at least.

The NDS showing for GJF looked thin. :/

PanopticBlue said:
Fortnintey

How was the handling of RRDS? Most reports were that the game controlled like ass, so your post gives me hope for this title yet.

Well to be honest, it did control like ass... I guess.

You have to keep a few things in mind. First off, I only played it for two or three minutes, and I couldn't concentrate on the game 100%. Also, I can't imagine a racing game on the DS, in which you manipulate the steering wheel via the touch screen, being all that hot in the first place since it's a tad bit unnatural. Though I can see a time in the future when enough people have done it, and improved upon the scheme, that it does become the norm of sorts.

And like I said, I've never had the best of times controlling Ridge Racer, so it didn't seem that too different for me.

I'm sorry if this answer does not help that much. :/

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
Isn't that one of the gals from Ridge Racer Evolution? Jesus why don't they stick with that floozy from the earlier games. Her expression is atrocious.

Anyways that SPRUNG boxart makes me laugh. I laugh because it's so blatent and bad.

Jonnyram

TekunoRobby said:
Isn't that one of the gals from Ridge Racer Evolution? Jesus why don't they stick with that floozy from the earlier games. Her expression is atrocious.
I think it's one of the girls from R: Racing Evolution actually (unless that's what you meant...). Bad choice anyway - they could at least pick the cute one from that game.

Kon Tiki

Banned
I had not seen this posted, then again who checks 1up. j/k

EGM: In the GBA version of Final Fantasy I & II, you included a customer survey asking which classic Square games fans would like to see on Nintendo DS. Why did you decide to let the fans vote? Will you really remake these games?

Takashi Tokita: We included a customer survey in FF I & II because we want to survey users... Recently, Square Enix [has been doing] marketing research [for] many games, to find out more about users. I cannot promise that every game that gets a lot of votes will be released, but I will give the survey special attention.

EGM: When you decide to remake one of these classic games, will you add Touch Screen, Dual Screen, and WiFi support?

Tokita: I don't think that every remake needs new DS functions, like Touch Screen, Dual Screen, and WiFi. I will not use these functions forcibly for remakes unless remakes really need these functions, because classic games have their own originality as old games. If I use DS functions forcibly for remakes, I will alter the originality of the classic games. Only if the DS functions make the classic games better, will I use these functions.

EGM: Which do you look forward to more: creating all-new DS game series or remaking existing ones?

Tokita: Basically, both are interesting. When I make new games, I enjoy trying something new. When I make remakes, I can learn many things from the classic games. But DS is a new hardware, so I want to try many new things.

EGM: FFXI has been very successful -- do you think Square would try to make a MMORPG for Nintendo DS?

Tokita: We are thinking about making multiplayer games through WiFi. I hope WiFi is going to be for beginners who have never played multiplayer games -- for example children. I think the most interesting thing is playing games with people. Human vs. human is the most exciting thing. I want beginners to experience the excitement of multiplayer games through WiFi.

EGM: What do you personally like about the Nintendo DS? What don't you like?

Tokita: I don't have any dislikes. I like that I can make both 2D and 3D games [with] DS. DS gives me the potential to create many ideas. But recently, there [have been] many games that have too much CG and 3D animation. I [don't] think every game [needs] CG and 3D animation. I don't want to make games that have unnecessary CG and 3D.

EGM: How is the development environment: is it easy to work with? Are you having fun working on games for it?

Tokita: I [don't] think it is so difficult to make games for DS. Actually, I don't care about whether it is difficult or not. I think the most important thing is to make good software, regardless if it is DS, PSP, PS2, GC, and so on. (edit: I think you are looking for Xbox...what is that? no you weren't, sorry sir, carry on}

EGM: Many people are talking about the Japanese game market being depressed...do you think that the DS and PSP can change things?

Tokita: The Japanese game market is going down. One of the reasons is that the Japanese economy has been in a depression for a long time. But yes, I think DS and PSP will change these situations. DS and PSP have much potential and make creators think. I should, no I must, change the depression working with DS and PSP.

A Square employee who dislikes CG? Is the tide turning for Square?

TekunoRobby

Tag of Excellence
EGM: When you decide to remake one of these classic games, will you add Touch Screen, Dual Screen, and WiFi support?

Tokita: I don't think that every remake needs new DS functions, like Touch Screen, Dual Screen, and WiFi. I will not use these functions forcibly for remakes unless remakes really need these functions, because classic games have their own originality as old games. If I use DS functions forcibly for remakes, I will alter the originality of the classic games. Only if the DS functions make the classic games better, will I use these functions.
He doesn't say that the FFIII port will be direct or will any other port for that matter. He simply is stating that he doesn't want to add any DS-specific functionality for the hell of it. He thinks that Square should carefully consider only adding in extra functionality if the game needs it or if it will enhance the original game play. I think that's an excellent position to take when creating ports. Sometime the beauty and originality of the game shouldn't be altered or overlooked by having superfluous features.

EGM: What do you personally like about the Nintendo DS? What don't you like?

Tokita: I don't have any dislikes. I like that I can make both 2D and 3D games with DS. DS gives me the potential to create many ideas. But recently, there have been many games that have too much CG and 3D animation. I don't think every game needs CG and 3D animation. I don't want to make games that have unnecessary CG and 3D.
I know it sounds like I'm shooting myself in the foot since it's the same field that I'm employed in but FUCKING FINALLY. I love the CG work Square and other companies produce and I think they add a lot to a game but having too much can drag down a product. Reading this type of opinion from a company that does heavy CG in their games is really uplifting to hear.

Top Bottom