• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

hauton

wow

I think the OP single-handedly made me lose all interest in this game

You link ONE video saying that we MUST see it

and it's like a 40 minute presentation that's done with a bunch of people who can't operate Windows Media Player

this

is

PAINFUL

are you kidding

hauton said:
wow

I think the OP single-handedly made me lose all interest in this game

You link ONE video saying that we MUST see it

and it's like a 40 minute presentation that's done with a bunch of people who can't operate Windows Media Player

this

is

PAINFUL

are you kidding

I hope that YOU'RE kidding. The OP may not be the greatest but nothing in any OP should be the cause to get you to play or avoid any game. Do some research yourself. Read the reviews. Talk to others who have played it. Don't blame it on one person who simply put together a post.

Deadly

_tetsuo_ said:
This game absolutely will NOT alt-tab, folks.
Works just fine for me too. I have to say there are a bit too many meet&greet missions. I'm lacking cash to buy intel and if I do the mission the intel disappears after it's completed.

Deadly

I've been checking the .ini files and it seems there might have been a multiplayer section once upon a time. You seem to also be able to make it so you have every perk by the time you start the game. All the perks are listed too. If anyone knows a command that gives you money please tell me :lol .

Vlodril

Well just finished my first real missions and the game really has clicked for me. I was a bit disappointed in the beginning due to some stutter which disappeared (probably because i turned vsynch off? no idea) and now it runs great. Haven't seen any bugs so far. The combat is really satisfying , nice melee system also. I think people who didn't like it perhaps was expecting a shooter and not an RPG. Definitely like the limited time response system , i think its a great step up than the usual thing.

Only black mark so far is the hacking mini game and i resolved that by spending my very first points in two levels of sabotage which gives me alot of extra time to solve it.

So far loving it , hope it continues this way.

JdFoX187

Banned
subversus said:
If your PC is capable the choice is obvious.
It is, I've just seen pros and cons of the PC version. Wanted to make sure I wasn't stepping into a hornets nest by ordering it on Steam.

JdFoX187

Banned
INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
Not a chance if you ask me.

For anyone interested I'll be starting up my stream of the PC version in a little bit here. It's idling right now, so don't be fooled. I will return.

http://www.livestream.com/definitelyenjoy
Cool, will definitely buy it then. Was depressed to hear about the performance issues. But it's an Obsidian title, so it wasn't too surprising. Glad to hear the PC version is better.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
PC version works flawlessly for me. Locked 60fps, 1920x1200, AA and AF turned on through configs and all that jazz.

the giant bomb quick look really soured me on this game. It didn't look very fun at all, and the mechanics and gameplay had a very "last gen" look to them. I know its an RPG and they are trying to make the stats matter, but really he's crouching around in plain sight of enemies and they can't see him because his "stealth" stat is built up? There has to be a better way to balance that sort of thing. I may still give it a rental once I'm done with RDR.

Dark Stalkers said:
I've been alt tabbing just fine.
same here. been having the game running in a window for the past couple of days though

Ninja Scooter said:
the giant bomb quick look really soured me on this game. It didn't look very fun at all, and the mechanics and gameplay had a very "last gen" look to them. I know its an RPG and they are trying to make the stats matter, but really he's crouching around in plain sight of enemies and they can't see him because his "stealth" stat is built up? There has to be a better way to balance that sort of thing. I may still give it a rental once I'm done with RDR.
probably using the ability that turns you invisible for a few seconds, or until you do stuff like attack and run

weekendCONFIRMED said:
So, is Space Siege really that terrible? Was going to buy this anyways, might as well pre-order it on Steam and get Space Siege for free while I can?
it's ok. but it's not a dungeon siege style action rpg. more of a simple action game in the vein of shadowgrounds or alienshooter/zombieshooter. with weapon/abilities upgrades. pretty short, but ok fun

I really enjoyed my first play-through despite doing it running and gunning, but by gads thing's go completely ass after the opening sections of the last mission:

Picking Albatross as my handler simply resulted in sis coming to save me before her and her organisation ran out the med-bay and the game. This sucked on a multitude on levels given I really did my best to buddy up with Albatross & Sis, I was hoping they'd play heavily in my escape or at least the conclusion but no luck. Was really hoping the choices you made would make a huge impact of how the end played out, but I guess not.

Then you have the conclusion; I escape the facility with Mina and Scarlett being the dull hero that I was playing. Yet the game decides to retcon this and after I tell Leland he's going to court we cut to a fucking jolly boat ride out of there with Mina. I decide to just ditch Scarlett despite nailing her before and telling her we're escaping together, I left the man I'm meant to bring to justice in his secret facility Unconscious but her, I guess the reliable government will deal with that right? I don't get to see his judicial crucifixion, I don't get to see how I've influenced the people I've met, let alone actually have more scenes with them, I don't see how I affected to world, I don't even get an explanation of why Mina sent a few cruise missiles in my direction at the start.

I get a fucking boat ride with one of the ladies I saved and got to hear the audio of a newscast telling how shit I've done despite saving as many people as possible.

Massively disappointing, especially given how great this game does in the same very field. I can't remember ever feeling satisfied for outsmarting a game character like I did when I managed to keep my involvement with G-22 a secret from Leland. Rarely do I have to question morality for the sake of practicality like I did here quite a few times. So it ended on a real downer for me (also no bonuses for finishing it :( )

Still, the most polished Obsidian release so far :lol

SuperSonic1305 said:
Makes me wonder how the game was in October if they delayed it for 8 months and it still gets bad reviews.

I believe it was delayed so that it wasn't released against Dragon Age, Bioshock 2 and Mass Effect 2.

+ The reviews are all over the board. This is a try before buy game if ever there was one.

Haunted

Ninja Scooter said:
the giant bomb quick look really soured me on this game. It didn't look very fun at all, and the mechanics and gameplay had a very "last gen" look to them.
I'm sorry to say this, but I absolutely agree. :/

The dialogue system looks ace, though.

Spirit of Jazz said:
I really enjoyed my first play-through despite doing it running and gunning, but by gads thing's go completely ass after the opening sections of the last mission:

Picking Albatross as my handler simply resulted in sis coming to save me before her and her organisation ran out the med-bay and the game. This sucked on a multitude on levels given I really did my best to buddy up with Albatross & Sis, I was hoping they'd play heavily in my escape or at least the conclusion but no luck. Was really hoping the choices you made would make a huge impact of how the end played out, but I guess not.

Then you have the conclusion; I escape the facility with Mina and Scarlett being the dull hero that I was playing. Yet the game decides to retcon this and after I tell Leland he's going to court we cut to a fucking jolly boat ride out of there with Mina. I decide to just ditch Scarlett despite nailing her before and telling her we're escaping together, I left the man I'm meant to bring to justice in his secret facility Unconscious but her, I guess the reliable government will deal with that right? I don't get to see his judicial crucifixion, I don't get to see how I've influenced the people I've met, let alone actually have more scenes with them, I don't see how I affected to world, I don't even get an explanation of why Mina sent a few cruise missiles in my direction at the start.

I get a fucking boat ride with one of the ladies I saved and got to hear the audio of a newscast telling how shit I've done despite saving as many people as possible.

Massively disappointing, especially given how great this game does in the same very field. I can't remember ever feeling satisfied for outsmarting a game character like I did when I managed to keep my involvement with G-22 a secret from Leland. Rarely do I have to question morality for the sake of practicality like I did here quite a few times. So it ended on a real downer for me (also no bonuses for finishing it :( )

Still, the most polished Obsidian release so far :lol

I agree. I just finished the game, and the ending was very disappointing.

SIE was my handler for the last mission. She mounted Thorton when he was strapped to the chair. :lol

I actually didn't get to save Mina because I went the wrong direction and the game's retarded checkpoint system autosaved. She got captured even though I told her to hide, does that decision do nothing? The whole sequence felt very discombobulated, right down to how the game told me to save Mina before Leland even told me she was captured.

Some of the decisions in the game were handled very strangely. I went for the data instead of saving Albatross when he was captured by Brayko and the game never mentioned what happened because of it. His dossier says he was "defeated," but no other mention was ever made of it. It was really odd.

Chrange

Banned
Ninja Scooter said:
You mean the part where he says something like "Yeah I'm invisible for the next four seconds because the ability procced"

Yeah, I wonder why they can't see him...

Chrange said:
You mean the part where he says something like "Yeah I'm invisible for the next four seconds because the ability procced"

Yeah, I wonder why they can't see him...

No im pretty sure it was a part where he wasn't using the invisible perk. He is just crouching around by bad guys that should be able to see him snapping their buddies necks in their periph...but no reaction. Like I said, very "last gen-ish"

The invisibility perk stuff kind of bugs me too. Maybe its cause im not a hardcore RPG gamer, but it just kind of leads to too much suspension of disbelief. the RPG elements are nice but I don't want the game to be a slave to them. Again, haven't played the game so I dont' want to be too harsh, and I still want to try it out as i've been interested in this game since it was announced, but I'd like to see a better balance struck between the two.

Ninja Scooter said:
No im pretty sure it was a part where he wasn't using the invisible perk. He is just crouching around by bad guys that should be able to see him snapping their buddies necks in their periph...but no reaction. Like I said, very "last gen-ish"

There was at least one moment from the video where I agree with you, he just kind of approaches the guy from the side and he doesn't even notice him.

rainking187 said:
There was at least one moment from the video where I agree with you, he just kind of approaches the guy from the side and he doesn't even notice him.

This is definitely a problem with the stealth and it's highly inconsistent. Sometimes the AI will be alerted when your foot is out of cover, and other times you can walk right by them, and kill someone in their line of sight and they won't react. And if an alarm is active because one person saw you, all enemies automatically know where you are at all times.

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
This is definitely a problem with the stealth and it's highly inconsistent. Sometimes the AI will be altered when your foot it out of cover, and other times you can walk right by them, and kill someone in their line of sight and they won't react. And if an alarm is active because one person saw you, all enemies automatically know where you are at all times.

Even this is sort of inconsistent.

Haunted

Basileus777 said:
This is definitely a problem with the stealth and it's highly inconsistent. Sometimes the AI will be alerted when your foot it out of cover, and other times you can walk right by them, and kill someone in their line of sight and they won't react. And if an alarm is active because one person saw you, all enemies automatically know where you are at all times.
Now that's just terrible.

So many games do this and it annoys me to no end. :(

Basileus777 said:
SIE was my handler for the last mission. She mounted Thorton when he was strapped to the chair. :lol

Oh shit :lol I obviously made the wrong decision, time to load my safe-house and give it another go :D
I wish Sis did the same :( (assuming she's 18+!)

I actually didn't get to save Mina because I went the wrong direction and the game's retarded checkpoint system autosaved. She got captured even though I told her to hide, does that decision do nothing? The whole sequence felt very discombobulated, right down to how the game told me to save Mina before Leland even told me she was captured.

I can't agree with you with the quicksave feature I think it works quite well in the context (despite there being ways around it still) and it is your own fault for not looking at the huge TV screens after being warned that you had to make a choice.
I also I don't think it was discombobulated given it's the first time you'd hear of it. However you right in it diminishing the meaning of that choice, and she easily could of made another appearance if they worked on the ending.

That said I also had a similar issue with Scarlett, I checked the other door in case the game auto-saved when I approached her and then bam! auto-save and time to reload the mission. Game could really be clearer when you could miss things due to back-tracking being cut off as I lost a door full of goodies in the museum level for the same reason.

Some of the decisions in the game were handled very strangely. I went for the data instead of saving Albatross when he was captured by Brayko and the game never mentioned what happened because of it. His dossier says he was "defeated," but no other mention was ever made of it. It was really odd.

I see that making sense in the context, his organisation was secret and you yourself did nothing to hinder them. They've no need for vengeance and you've lost your only contact with them, hence you never hear of them again.

For the same reason I wasn't that bothered that I had to go through the G22 mission in Rome despite being best buds with Alby and future husband potential with Sis. It was possibly a completely different cell of the organisation. I just really wish there was more elaboration on them if you picked that rout (though in all fairness I did pal up with everybody I could.

Cep said:
Even this is sort of inconsistent.

Was it? I assumed that when the alarm was on the Deus Ex A.I. kicked in. I thought the A.I. was atrocious until I tried using stealth for that reason, then I chalked it up to being an RPG and working in the system.

Cep

Banned
Haunted said:
Now that's just terrible.

So many games do this and it annoys me to no end. :(

Well the assumption is that once the alarm goes off, you no longer want to be stealthy and want to play the game as a shooter.

So it is not so much because the AI is shit, but because they were trying to (unnecessarily) cater to many different styles.

The game flat out fails as a shooter. Decent as as a stealth game though.

mujun

I got this yesterday despite being in Japan. Crazy that the Asian version is in stores here before it even gets official release in the States.

As expected this game is jank as all hell in most aspects, especially the graphical, technical and action ones.

Doesn't stop me from enjoying the hell out of it though. Totally get a Mass Effect vibe from it, RPG with action trappings.

As others have mentioned the character interaction, intel and RPG elements are robust and really well done. There is definitely a level of depth here beyond what is offered in the ME series.

Can't wait to get into it more and I'm looking forward to maxing stealth in my 2nd run through. For my first run I'm going soldier/brute force/guns blazing.

pilonv1

Cep said:
Well the assumption is that once the alarm goes off, you no longer want to be stealthy and want to play the game as a shooter.

So it is not so much because the AI is shit, but because they were trying to (unnecessarily) cater to many different styles.

The game flat out fails as a shooter. Decent as as a stealth game though.

Pretty good summation of the game. If you gear your perks and playstyle to avoiding shooting then it's quite fun.

It's almost more like a Hitman RPG than anything else. Get in, get out without being seen or heard. It's just a shame that some of the controls are quite clumsy.

duckroll

Picked it up today, finally. Played a bit of it, not enough to form a solid opinion, but it's both better and worse than I expected. It's not a horrible game by any stretch, but the shooting and action elements feel really poor when I'm playing, and the mix of realtime action with RPG skill points and stuff doesn't work very well at all imo. The conversations and intel stuff on the other hand is pretty good. I like being able to reply in different ways during a conversation and see both immediate and more long term results. Gaining perks from conversations, unlocking dossiers, pissing people off or making them like me better, etc. Very RPG. There's a lot to read in the game, which is a good thing to me. I just wish the shooting was more.... fun.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
So when is this going to unlock on Steam? I have it paid for and preloaded and the store says it will be released on May 31st, but it also says it will be released approximately 1 day and 20 hours from now. It is currently about 1:40am PST on May 30th, so does that mean the game will not be unlocking until around 10pm on May 31st? That would be extremely lame if so...

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
Picked it up today, finally. Played a bit of it, not enough to form a solid opinion, but it's both better and worse than I expected. It's not a horrible game by any stretch, but the shooting and action elements feel really poor when I'm playing, and the mix of realtime action with RPG skill points and stuff doesn't work very well at all imo. The conversations and intel stuff on the other hand is pretty good. I like being able to reply in different ways during a conversation and see both immediate and more long term results. Gaining perks from conversations, unlocking dossiers, pissing people off or making them like me better, etc. Very RPG. There's a lot to read in the game, which is a good thing to me. I just wish the shooting was more.... fun.

Yup. I hope Obsidian learns from this if they do another TPS type RPG to improve the gameplay.

Peff

I played it some time yesterday and I have to agree with duckroll. When it works, it works: the choices, conversations and e-mails are great and pretty immersive, the level-up and equipment customization (not so much the character) systems are deep and compelling, and it feels great to earn different perks that seem to be so situational, etc.

The problem is that the actual game itself just isn't up to snuff: clunky shooting (it's indeed better when you play stealthy and have a chance to prepare a critical attack, it's pretty much the best way to play), wonky melee, terrible AI (enemies that try to sorround you through walls keep shooting them, you can kill people and the other enemies won't notice even if they clearly had to), the mini-games you have to do too frequently... but despite all of this, it is fun to play, it's just a shame the shooting isn't as fantastic as the RPG part.

duckroll

A slight update on my impressions: after plugging in a 360 controller, my enjoyment of the game improved substantially almost immediately. It's obviously a game designed be to played with a controller as opposed to a keyboard+mouse set up, and it doesn't seem like they really changed anything in the PC version. When playing with a controller, many of the systems also feel more polished and refined.

The combat is still pretty awful, imo, so much so that I almost exclusively use hand-to-hand combat now. It seems poorly designed in this aspect especially, since weapons actually cost money to upgrade and customize, and ammunition is finite within missions - yet it is the unlimited and free melee attack which is the most powerful form of attack in the game. Kinda weird. There's pretty much no reason for me to ever invest anything into firing bullets at this rate. Even Chainshot isn't as effective as just rushing up to a group of 3 guys and just punching and kicking the shit out of them.

I'm really digging the new characters being introduced as the game progresses though. Interesting personalities, and having individual reputation stat tracking for each character/faction is a huge improvement over stuff like ME and ME2's overall morality scale, since it encourages me to experiment with different behavioral patterns with different characters without feeling that I have compromised my overall character's role playing aspect. :D

Servizio

I don't really need a tag, but I figured I'd get one to make people jealous. Is it working?
Yeah, I think I'm gonna bite on this. I was having a last minute crisis of finance over it, but fuck it. It sounds like a good role playing game, emphasis on the role playing.

One question, more like a feeler I suppose: Do you imagine the game to be at all moddable? It's obviously had no talk about mod tools and sounds painfully console centric, so I'd be very surprised but I have to ask. Any options that give any indication of that direction?

Since it's running the U3 engine, I imagine skins will be easy enough. And I've already seen some "Give yourself infinite money/AP/experience" tools. But it sounds like it could benefit from some weapon and enemy health tweaking. Shame about what I've heard about the A.I.

can't really see what benefit that kind of modding would give. it's nowhere near unbalanced. except for the bloodlines style boss fights.

except for if you would want to do a playthrough where you're completely skipping all the combat type levels and only read emails and do conversations or something. since it's ue3 that shouldn't be very hard, but I haven't looked at the files at all

subversus said:
If your PC is capable the choice is obvious.

System reqs say an Intel 2.4ghz. Is that counting a dual core? I've got an Alienware M11x with an Intel SU7300 overclocked to 1.73 ghz. I'm not sure if this makes the cut on the sys reqs. Help?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
ok, so I'm going with stealthy/melee character. Is it important to invest in health being primarily melee fighter? I'm worried about boss fights.

Reluctant-Hero said:
System reqs say an Intel 2.4ghz. Is that counting a dual core? I've got an Alienware M11x with an Intel SU7300 overclocked to 1.73 ghz. I'm not sure if this makes the cut on the sys reqs. Help?

UE3 games aren't very heavy on the CPU, you should be fine. The Alienware plays ME2 really well for instance, so it shouldn't have too many problems, don't take much notice of rec. specs, they can mean anything.

duckroll

subversus said:
ok, so I'm going with stealthy/melee character. Is it important to invest in health being primarily melee fighter? I'm worried about boss fights.

You're better off putting those extra points into sabotage instead of health. As long as you stock up on first aid kits, health isn't really that big of a problem.

shields recharge after a while if you stay in cover aswell. the stealth armors still have more than enough armor to get you through a bit of open close quarters fighting and that

Just out of interest Duck where did you place you skill points in? My melee was never anywhere near as powerful as my assault rifling, I was able to take out rooms in a matter of seconds and with brilliance I could literally stay in Red Dead Redemption's piss easy auto-aim mode for the entire game. It was akin to playing RDR but the enemy actually attempted to out flank me at times despite it obviously having the worst A.I. in history.

subversus said:

I made a stealth/ melee fighter and you may want to rethink that. Stealth isn't handled that well. Make sure you put points in some weapons training. It's sort of encouraged through gameplay situations.

Top Bottom