• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Volcynika

MightyKAC said:
Fuck.
Steam won't let me order this one since I'm logging in from a Japanese ISP. Anyone know of a workaround? I'd really like to support the game.

You'd have to put in a support ticket with them so they can flag your card to be used from that region. Or get someone to help you out and gift it, then you pay them back.

graywolf323

MightyKAC said:
Fuck.
Steam won't let me order this one since I'm logging in from a Japanese ISP. Anyone know of a workaround? I'd really like to support the game.

best solution is to get someone to gift it to you at cost

MightyKAC

Volcynika said:
You'd have to put in a support ticket with them so they can flag your card to be used from that region. Or get someone to help you out and gift it, then you pay them back.

Thanks, I'll try the support ticket thing and see how it goes. That's pretty much the only thing that's keeping me from grabing this and Just Cause 2 for the PC.

pilonv1

Combat in this game is horrendous. Everything else is decent to good, and the setting is interesting and new for an RPG. I'm not expecting the world, and I haven't read many reviews on it so I'm flying blind. Maybe that's helping? It's a good game, not a great one and that's fine with me.

re: the guy in Japan, I used a VPN to get around it and grab it from the UK store for US$35.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
MightyKAC said:
Fuck.

I lived in Japan until February and I feel ya. I nearly got screwed on Dragon Age last November.

I'm a couple of side-missions into Saudi Arabia and I'm loving it. There are definitely problems with jerky animations, and the hacking game is horrible and nausea inducing but where it delivers it does so in spades. The shooting is unusual but quite effective at conveying the feeling that your twitch skills are only one part of the equation without going overboard.

The writing is decent and occasionally great, and I've found myself laughing at quite a bit of it too. For example, my kung-fu stealth master just got a perk called Limited Bloodshed for subduing 50 opponents "with non-lethal (though certainly violent and entirely painful) methods". :lol

Cep

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
I just ran into a case of really bad level design.

In the first mission for
the triads
, you're tasked to eliminate 3 guys. In the last room -- where you'll first have to deal with a door that enemies and turrets can apparently see through -- after you've taken out the last dude there's a scripted event, and you have to fight off a bunch of guys coming off of a plateu. Problem is that the last two guys are there as "cover" and there is NO WAY YOU CAN GET THERE IN ORDER TO USE MELEE. The plateau in question was a chest-high-wall, and in this game, unless there's a prompt for it, you can't climb it (and you can't vault over cover which is another annoyance). I had to use a minigun stationed in the room, take out the two guys through "collateral damage" (i.e. minigun to the face), and ruin my no-kill run in the process.

Note that other guys would occasionally stay on the plateau, but if you walked away for a while they'd go down from alerted to cautious and you could lure them down with the noise maker. Those last two guys though were stuck in-place, and always at alert. Really, really shitty and frustrating design there.

Lesson learned, next time make sure you have at least two tranq rounds for said mission.

And another annoyance I found here. When you hack stuff, you only have one option that's triggered automatically. I mentioned that there were turrets here, well you can hack them, but the ONLY option is to make them turn on the bad guys, meaning that they'll kill everyone in the room. Now, if you're a melee stealth guy, like me, you'd want to disable the turrets so you can go into the room and kick some ass, which would probably have been possible at that terminal, but I didn't have that option. Whoever made this section needs a lesson in how to make a good level for a game like this.

So you better bring some EMP grenades as well if you don't just shoot out the turrets, either way you'll alert a few guards, and a boss character.

*Though note that this is the first mission that has been extremely shitty, and only the very last bit, for a now-lethal melee character.

**Oh and I forgot to mention, they also gave you an alternative, stealthy route through the room, where both turrets would still spot you long enough to go hostile (with the electronic evasion skill).

Fuck, I am currently a non-lethal Melee stealth and that does not sound pleasant(especially on hard).

Good thing I always have tranqs...

Concept17 said:
wow looks a lot better than I thought.

Some more...

This one looks quite a bit better cut.

So yeah, PC version does support controller right? ...Looks like that's the platform I'm picking it up on then

EDIT: Yeah, looked up the manual on the Steam page and the 360 controller was in there :D

Chrange

Banned
I've actually started to like it quite a bit more since I adjusted from trying to play it like Gears (stop and pop gunfire) to more of a run and gun. Run up rattling off a shot or two with the pistol, melee the guy until he blocks and then pop him with the pistol again to finish him off - no aiming down the sight at all.

I'm trying to do stealth runs through the levels, but when things go sideways it's actually a lot of fun to go all Bourne on them like that.

Though I'd really compare the game to Burn Notice, not Bourne.

I love how it mixes the missions up a bit, with a lot more conversation themed encounters than I was expecting. I'm also really digging the soundtrack and musical cues, done by BT of all people.

Sloane

Banned
Yoshi256 said:
Yeah, it's interesting that all German (and most European) websites really like the game while it gets bad ratings in the US. Usually, it's the other way around. :lol

I've finally started playing, but since this is a game about choices, I don't feel I've played far enough to post any impressions yet. Although I was surprised that the game does work better with a controller than with M/KB on PC.

Cep

Banned
Sloane said:
Yeah, it's interesting that all German (and most European) websites really like the game while it gets bad ratings in the US. Usually, it's the other way around. :lol

I've finally started playing, but since this is a game about choices, I don't feel I've played far enough to post any impressions yet. Although I was surprised that the game does work better with a controller than with M/KB on PC.

Yeah, this upset me quite a bit.

Even if the controls worked perfectly fine, there is still the issue of the dialogue just being quicker with the pad.

Moonstone

I agree. The game is designed to be a console game. Got the PC version and the menu handling just plain sucks with M/KB - especially if you are used to the BW/Obsidian standards.
A PC save system would be great for a game thats about choices but you can't even name your saves.

Minigames are a pain in the ass with M/KB. So much that I will buy a 360 controller just for this game, cause I don't get my DS3 runnning.

I hope there will be some mods for AP, but I doubt it. If I could decide again, I would have picked up the console version. Whatever - the game rocks!

ArjanN

bathala said:
well from that review. I think I'll focus on stealth upgrades

Pretty annyoing to see them playing it wrong. I think it's obvious you're always supposed to use some measure of stealth.

Draft said:
Oh my, what a compliment.

Heh, I knew I'd get a response like that. :p
I just used Bloodlines as an example because that was still one of the best RPGs ever despite the bugs.

And so far the PC version is no buggier than Mass Effect 2.

First couple of hours of Alpha Protocol: no bugs encountered.
First couple of hours of Mass Effect 2: got stuck in the geometry twice and had to reload an earlier save.

Although I enjoy the game there is just something about the level design that screams 2001. To be honest I feel like I'm playing through Conflict: Desert Storm. The dialogue is interesting and I can't wait to see how some of the choices pan out but I expected more from a modern day Mass Effect. Especially from a game that has been in development since 2006.

kinoki

Illness is the doctor to whom we pay most heed; to kindness, to knowledge, we make promise only; pain we obey.
Xater said:

Well, that pretty much confirmed any fears I had for the game. This game disappeared from my radar just as fast as it appeared. Too bad, I was hoping for an unpolished gem. :(

Munin

kinoki said:
Well, that pretty much confirmed any fears I had for the game. This game disappeared from my radar just as fast as it appeared. Too bad, I was hoping for an unpolished gem. :(

How in the world is this NOT an unpolished gem? 6.4 isn't a terrible score, you know...in fact, it's probably the most reasonable score for an...unpolished gem.

Splatt

Moonstone said:
I agree. The game is designed to be a console game. Got the PC version and the menu handling just plain sucks with M/KB - especially if you are used to the BW/Obsidian standards.

I have to agree. Playing with the keyboard is a pain in the ass. I started using my PS2 controller, and it's a whole new experience.

JayDubya

Banned
What was it, 8.8 Story, 8.0 Design, and then 4s and 5s on Gameplay and Presentation?

Hrm. Well...

One of the complaints was that Mike's shooting is not your shooting, which falls on deaf ears, to me - that's how an RPG is supposed to be - though clearly, this game does have some gameplay issues, and it would be folly to dismiss that outright.

Presentation-wise, I'm not much of a graphics whore, Mass Effect's texture popping never really bothered me that much, so whatev.

Conflict NZ said:
Although I enjoy the game there is just something about the level design that screams 2001. To be honest I feel like I'm playing through Conflict: Desert Storm. The dialogue is interesting and I can't wait to see how some of the choices pan out but I expected more from a modern day Mass Effect. Especially from a game that has been in development since 2006.
If you think APs level design is from 2001 I’d like to hear what you think about Mass Effects’. :p

Depressing reading -- as usual -- about the pressures Obsidian is under and how it is run.

I'd love to see EA/Bioware take Obisidan on as its b-team: give them the engine and tech and just let them develop 'interesting' titles in between installments of blockbuster Bioware games. Sort of like how Treyarch and Infinity Ward used to operate.

Gorgon

What I find most interesting in this thread is how much people are beying apologetic towards AP because it's from Obsidian when in fact they'd be shiting all over the game if it had been from Bioware or Bethesda :lol

Denzar

A dev for the game commented on Joystiq (I know, Joystiq, blah blah blah, suck it up)
a tired dev @ May 28th 2010 2:37PM

I worked on this game (a fact of which I am not proud). I'm not here to defend it; I agree with all these reviews.

First, a comment for the guy at Cheesecake Factory - Most devs eat in the office most days, if they do go out they tend to grab something at the food court and head back. I know the execs take long lunches, but they often use them for informal meetings as well. Most of the programmers and designers very rarely ate outside the office during the time I was on this project.

There was a ton of work put into this game. The problem is that is was a ton of undirected work, or work on things that were just stupid. The Executive Producer for the game, Chris Parker (also an owner of the company), seemed to think he was the world's greatest designer ever, and created all these absolutely shitty systems and wouldn't listen to any of the real designers or devs about things that just didn't work. And you can't exactly argue with one of the owners of the company when he doesn't want to listen. He basically took over the game and dictated exactly how everything would work (or not work, as the case may be). The other producers realized this early on and just gave up, leaving Parker to micromanage all the designers and programmers directly.

Sega also was a factor, because they kept changing the design requirements (yes they had heavy influence there), which never gave the producers and designers time to actually decide on one set of features to make and polish. The blame is still mostly Obsidian's because the execution was absolutely terrible, and it was obvious 2 years ago that this game should have been scrapped. Instead, though, they focused on adding still more features and never fixed the ones they already had. That is a recipe for tons of bugs and no polish... as is obvious.

This game was just an absolute failure of production, and it's no wonder that so many of the developers left the company, even after the 40% staff layoffs. I am still happy about some of Obsidian's other current projects, New Vegas included, because they are going pretty well. Their big unannounced project is looking great and is already much better than AP ever was, and that may end up being the game that everyone was looking for with AP.

Sega should have canceled AP instead of Aliens...

Here's the source.

http://www.joystiq.com/2010/05/28/alpha-protocol-game-review/3#comments

ArjanN

kinoki said:

It IS an unpolished gem.

Gametrailers reviews cater to dudebros. PC rpgs are somewhat of a niche genre, so you're generally better off going by user impressions than what the mainstream press thinks.

I can already tell this going to be one of the most underrated games of the year.

Gorgon said:
What I find most interesting in this thread is how much people are beying apologetic towards AP because it's from Obsidian when in fact they'd be shiting all over the game if it had been from Bioware or Bethesda :lol

That's just because Obsidian's games are underrated and Bioware and Bethesda's are overrated.

Gorgon

ArjanN said:
That's just because Obsidian's games are underrated and Bioware and Bethesda's are overrated.

I think they're all pretty average, to be honest. As far as western devs go these days, CDProject are the only ones that still shine some light at the end of the tunnel. But that's just my opinion.

kswiston

ArjanN said:
It IS an unpolished gem.

Gametrailers reviews cater to dudebros. PC rpgs are somewhat of a niche genre, so you're generally better off going by user impressions than what the mainstream press thinks.

I can already tell this going to be one of the most underrated games of the year.

I don't buy this. The enthusiast press has nothing against WRPGs.

Even ignoring Bioware and Bethesda (whose games benefit from a hype factor), recent lesser-known wrpgs like Risen, Torchlight and the Witcher are all in the High 70's - Mid 80s range on Gamerankings. Obsidian's past efforts were in the low-mid 80s range.

Alpha Protocol is currently sitting at 68-70% (depending on the version). Only two of the 15 reviews (between all of the versions) were over 80%. Most are in the 6-7 range.

Haunted

Chrange said:
I'm trying to do stealth runs through the levels, but when things go sideways it's actually a lot of fun to go all Bourne on them like that.

Though I'd really compare the game to Burn Notice, not Bourne.
oh god

Zenith

Banned
ArjanN said:

excuses, excuses. Outlets haven't had any problems with the all the other RPGs out there.

Gorgon

Shake Appeal said:
The reviewing of WRPGs in the last five to ten years has been increasingly dreadful and off-base.

I think they were pretty right about The Witcher and Demon's Souls in general, and those are far from your usual Bioware/Bethesda crap, so, no.

I think it's time to stop appologising for Obsidian and start realizing that Obsidian ISN'T Black Isle, no matter how many refugges and "chris avellones" they have on board. I still care more about what Obsidian is doing than Bioware/Bethesda, but blindingly following Obsidian and constantly searching for excuses isn't better in my book than the Bio/Bes fanboyism.

Ventrue

A bit disappointing. :(

I feel it did have some really strong moments, though, and I think I will replay it. Certainly there are some good ideas in here I'd like to see other people pick up on.

I don't think it was smart for Obsidian to try to make a shooter given their generally low production values.

jcm

The price of the PS3 version has actually increased since I bought it. It was $56.99 with a $10 credit , and now it's $59.99 with a $10 credit. Maybe it's not a complete sales disaster.

Rad-

Shake Appeal said:
The reviewing of WRPGs in the last five to ten years has been increasingly dreadful and off-base.

No it hasn't. If anything, WRPGs are one of the few genres that actually have pretty spot on reviews. Well the only exception I would say is the more modern Bethesda products which seem to get high ratings too easily.

Gorgon said:
I think they were pretty right about The Witcher and Demon's Souls in general, and those are far from your usual Bioware/Bethesda crap, so, no.

I think it's time to stop appologising for Obsidian and start realizing that Obsidian ISN'T Black Isle, no matter how many refugges and "chris avellones" they have on board. I still care more about what Obsidian is doing than Bioware/Bethesda, but blindingly following Obsidian and constantly searching for excuses isn't better in my book than the Bio/Bes fanboyism.
To be clear, I'm not defending Obsidian, and I haven't and won't buy this game until the price comes down considerably. But I think most reviewers do not share, even a little bit, the values I have for 'good' RPGs.

Gorgon

Shake Appeal said:
To be clear, I'm not defending Obsidian, and I haven't and won't buy this game until the price comes down considerably. But I think most reviewers do not share, even a little bit, the values I have for 'good' RPGs.

Sorry, mate, I wasn't referring to you personaly in the last portion of my comment, I was just making a general observation of what I feel is a common apologetic stance found in net forums when it comes to Obsidian.

As for your RPG "values", I understand that and in fact I share much the same opinion. But as I and some people have said before, games like e.g. Demon's Souls and The Witcher were pretty well received when thay had everything to be given the flack. So I can't really agree that the problem here is some unfair evaluation of AP and Obsidian. Obsidian simply ain't what many people crack them up to be and the apologetics need to end (even for Obisidan's own good in the future).

ArjanN

Gorgon said:

I'm not blindly following anyone. I've played the game and it's probably my favourite RPG of the year so far. I just don't understand the overly negative reviews unless the console version is really broken or something.

Zenith said:
Alpha Protocol is on 360 as well. Besides they loved KOTOR, the witcher, all that jazz.

Sure there's a console version, but it's a PC rpg by design IMO.

Rad- said:
No it hasn't. If anything, WRPGs are one of the few genres that actually have pretty spot on reviews. Well the only exception I would say is the more modern Bethesda products which seem to get high ratings too easily.

nah, even those bethesda reviews are spot on mostly.

Draft

Gorgon said:

:lol No shit.

Black Isle is dead. Obsidian disrespects them by wearing their face.

ArjanN said:
Sure there's a console version, but it's a PC rpg by design IMO.
I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean sure it has more skills and ways to interact with the environment than ME, but stealth is very simplified (no need to worry about bodies laying around, awareness shows the location of EVERYONE in the room), the levels are small and sectioned (enemies spawn-in as you move along, they often close doors behind you), one button does nearly everything (cover, interact, takedowns etc., which can get in the way of the gameplay), alternate routes are available to everyone and so on. I appreciate the direction they're going in, but a lot of the mechanics in this game doesn't go nearly as deep as I'd like them to.

Still enjoying the hell out of it, but the console stuff is shining through a bit too brightly.

Sloane

Banned
Instead, though, they focused on adding still more features and never fixed the ones they already had. That is a recipe for tons of bugs and no polish... as is obvious.
Pretty exaggerated.

I haven't noticed a single bug after playing for about 5 hours and the important systems of the game (dialogues, choices, preparation, exploration) do work. Yes, it doesn't look great, the controls are bit iffy, and stealth could be a bit more fleshed out.

But it definitely gives me that Deus Ex / Vampire: Bloodlines vibe. I feel like I am actually, you know, playing a role by making a lot of decisions that other games would make for me. I feel like I am playing the game the way I want to play it. And if AP isn't an unpolished gem, I don't know what is.

Cep

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
I'm not sure I agree with that. I mean sure it has more skills and ways to interact with the environment than ME, but stealth is very simplified (no need to worry about bodies laying around, awareness shows the location of EVERYONE in the room), the levels are small and sectioned (enemies spawn-in as you move along, they often close doors behind you), one button does nearly everything (cover, interact, takedowns etc., which can get in the way of the gameplay), alternate routes are available to everyone and so on. I appreciate the direction they're going in, but a lot of the mechanics in this game doesn't go nearly as deep as I'd like them to.

Still enjoying the hell out of it, but the console stuff is shining through a bit too brightly.

You are following the same path as I am so I have a question for you:
How did you manage to get past the Lieutenant during the last Saudi mission without being caught? I know it is only a sub objective, but...

Top Bottom