• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Draft said:
:lol No shit.

Black Isle is dead. Obsidian disrespects them by wearing their face.
It burns, but maybe its the modern 3D presentation and trappings that has exposes them. Not like the combat in planescape was super great either.

But yeah, I dunno. Maybe I'll like it regardless. I love kusoge.

Cep said:
You are following the same path as I am so I have a question for you:
How did you manage to get past the Lieutenant during the last Saudi mission without being caught? I know it is only a sub objective, but...
Took the first guy behind the starting cover out as he moved past, went over to the right side, went to take out the next guy as he stood looking to the right (with the lieutenant walking to the left, and the last guy looking away, also went "invisible" to make it safer), hid behind a support pillar for the bridge and took the last guy as he walked back under it, and then invisible (or silent running...) again to get to the lieutenant.

Cep

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Took the first guy behind the starting cover out as he moved past, went over to the right side, went to take out the next guy as he stood looking to the right (with the lieutenant walking to the left, and the last guy looking away, also went "invisible" to make it safer), hid behind a support pillar for the bridge and took the last guy as he walked back under it, and then invisible (or silent running...) again to get to the lieutenant.

I can take care of them all perfectly fine (I only need to go invisible if I mess up), my question was more for the boss itself. To get the sub-objective, do I have to stealth-kill him (is that even possible) or what?

Also, what difficulty are you on? After I KO the second guy, the third guy runs to him really quickly so I do not even get the chance to hide behind the pillar, I have to circle around as he is running up.

Cep said:
I can take care of them all perfectly fine (I only need to go invisible if I mess up), my question was more for the boss itself. To get the sub-objective, do I have to stealth-kill him (is that even possible) or what?

Just sneak up and approach him while he's in the middle of the bridge and a brief cutscene will play

Cep

Banned
SenorDingDong said:
Just sneak up and approach him while he's in the middle of the bridge and a brief cutscene will play

Okay, thanks, that should be easy enough.

Yeah, what dingdong said. Though:
Cep said:
Also, what difficulty are you on? After I KO the second guy, the third guy runs to him really quickly so I do not even get the chance to hide behind the pillar, I have to circle around as he is running up.
I'm playing on normal, but I guess they also up the awareness of the guards and not just the damage then? I feel like I need to be really close when doing a takedown to alert other guards not looking directly at me. Kinda wish I went with hard now. :eek:

Cep

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
Yeah, what dingdong said. Though:

I'm playing on normal, but I guess they also up the awareness of the guards and not just the damage then? I feel like I need to be really close when doing a takedown to alert other guards not looking directly at me. Kinda wish I went with hard now. :eek:

Thank you for the advice. It seems that my problem was that I tried to use the shadow skill to sneak (and that was too slow). Silent steps did the job.

bjork

Joseph Merrick said:
uch, had almost forgotten that video. found it offputting and annoying. luckily the game is good

Why's that? I didn't go like YEAH DRINKING GAME WOO, but the diagrams showing the dialogue trees was really interesting.

ElyrionX

ArjanN said:
That's just because Obsidian's games are underrated and Bioware and Bethesda's are overrated.

I'm a pure-console gamer these days and while I agree Bioware and Bethesda games tend to be overly buggy and unpolished, they do offer a lot of entertainment. I mean, what else is there out there? You can't call them overrated because they do produce the best games in the genre on consoles.

Kuraudo

Banned
I'm about four hours in and I think I'm about ready to sell it on. The dialogue system is really well implemented and I like the idea of the choices, but I can't be bothered to wade through the crap mini-games and missions just to see how they turn out.

Really disappointed.

syllogism

Someone found some tweaks to make mouse camera control a bit better

set bEnableMouseSmoothing=False
in \Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\DefaultInput.ini

then 2 instances of that same var in
\My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\APInput.ini

Also set in \My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\APEngine.ini
the following:

[Engine.GameEngine]
bSmoothFrameRate=FALSE
MinSmoothedFrameRate=1024
MaxSmoothedFrameRate=4096

[SystemSettings]
UseVsync=False

(The VSync option in the game does nothing, you have to change it manually)

And finally after all customizations set all user config files in

\My Documents\Alpha Protocol\APGame\Config\

to read only.

// Edit

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
What is GAF's general consensus?

Other boards I go to seem to be kinda pissed off that this isn't Gears of War: Secret Spy Edition.
Consensus seems to be that you either love it, like it, feel disappointed by it or hate it.

I, for one, like the stealth and dialogue and I’m having a lot of fun with it.

ArjanN

ElyrionX said:
I'm a pure-console gamer these days and while I agree Bioware and Bethesda games tend to be overly buggy and unpolished, they do offer a lot of entertainment. I mean, what else is there out there? You can't call them overrated because they do produce the best games in the genre on consoles.

Thanks for proving my point. ;)

I'm not saying they're not good games, I enjoyed Mass Effect 2 a lot. But most of the time what you choose doesn't really matter, and almost all the scenes always play out the same way.

ArjanN

Zuhzuhzombie!! said:
What is GAF's general consensus?

Other boards I go to seem to be kinda pissed off that this isn't Gears of War: Secret Spy Edition.

There is no consensus.

I'm loving it so far. I think as long as you know what type of game to expect, you'll like it.

Sloane

Banned
Danne-Danger said:
I, for one, like the stealth and dialogue and I’m having a lot of fun with it.
Same here.

The more I play it, the more I'm reminded of a quote I read once about Assassin's Creed on Eurogamer: "I always found Assassin's Creed to be a 6/10 experience wrapped up in a 9/10 game engine." Well, Alpha Protocol is a 9/10 experience wrapped up in a 3/10 game engine. (Although the engine itself isn't the problem obviously but how it's used.)

Also, is it just me, or can't most people differentiate between gameplay and production values anymore?

Darklord

Banned
Sloane said:
Also, is it just me, or can't most people differentiate between gameplay and production values anymore?

The gameplay is janky as hell though. You can't have shooting mechanics that act so poorly these days. If you have 3rd person shooting in your game, it has to at least TRY and keep up with the big dogs. Dice rolling in a shooter just doesn't work anymore.

Cep

Banned
Tips for enjoying Alpha Protocol:

-Get the game on PC: Even if you play it on the lowest settings possible, you are doing yourself a favor for now and for when tweaks/patches/mods are released

-If you are tear sensitive (or like stable games), ignore the ps3 version like the fucking plague.

-Choose dialogue options other than Professional: It is a bit too safe, even when people prefer you be professional with them

-Play it as a stealth game and not an action game.

-To this end, max Stealth (mandatory 3~4 levels) and Pistols, and invest in melee

-If you insist on playing it like a shooter (Putting levels in stealth is still mandatory), either go Assault Rifle or go home.

-Mix up the hubs. You do not have to do all the hubs one at a time, you can hop from place to place.

-Challenge yourself with the stats. A no-kill run is not only possible, but extremely rewarding.

-Bum the game off of people so you can spend your money on SMG2 and get the best of all worlds

-Have realistic expectations (especially after Kotor 2)

Vamphuntr

Cep said:
Tips for enjoying Alpha Protocol:

-Get the game on PC: Even if you play it on the lowest settings possible, you are doing yourself a favor for now and for when tweaks/patches/mods are released

-If you are tear sensation (or like stable games), ignore the ps3 version like the fucking plague.

-Choose dialogue options other than Professional: It is a bit too safe, even when people prefer you be professional with them

-Play it as a stealth game and not an action game.

-To this end, max Stealth (mandatory 3~4 levels) and Pistols, and invest in melee

-If you insist on playing it like a shooter (Putting levels in stealth is still mandatory), either go Assault Rifle or go home.

-Mix up the hubs. You do not have to do all the hubs one at a time, you can hop from place to place.

-Challenge yourself with the stats. A no-kill run is not only possible, but extremely rewarding.

-Bum the game off of people so you can spend your money on SMG2 and get the best of all worlds

-Have realistic expectations (especially after Kotor 2)

The Gametrailers video review gave me back some hope. It doesn't seems to be a technical disaster as much as the gamespot review pretended. It seems you are enjoying it a lot which is a good sign :D . Still, having a list like that to enjoy the game kinda goes against the whole point of the game. Are you not supposed to play it like you want? I will probably get it once it drops in price. I don't think I will regret putting my cash on Peace Walker instead.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Vamphuntr said:
Still, having a list like that to enjoy the game kinda goes against the whole point of the game. Are you not supposed to play it like you want?

He missed the 'Don't pay attention to what people write on the internet' bullet point.

Cep

Banned
Vamphuntr said:
The Gametrailers video review gave me back some hope. It doesn't seems to be a technical disaster as much as the gamespot review pretended. It seems you are enjoying it a lot which is a good sign :D . Still, having a list like that to enjoy the game kinda goes against the whole point of the game. Are you not supposed to play it like you want? I will probably get it once it drops in price. I don't think I will regret putting my cash on Peace Walker instead.

I personally think that they should have marketed this game as a stealth-RPG game.

Would have made a lot more sense.

Although I am playing on hard (+No kill challenge), so...

D2M15 said:
He missed the 'Don't pay attention to what people write on the internet' bullet point.

If by this point you do not know this, then you do not belong on the internet.

And besides, the opinions of others can be very important when trying to make a decision, you just have to know how to properly filter.

Edit: Fucking comma splices everywhere...

Cep said:
I personally think that they should have marketed this game as a stealth-RPG game.

Would have made a lot more sense....

Isnt this game marketed as a stealth RPG, I think it even says it on the box :lol

Cep

Banned
Outtrigger888 said:
Isnt this game marketed as a stealth RPG, I think it even says it on the box :lol

MFxw3X62phi95dCZsq8IjolOW5bk4cwLLKsY0ouJLFhufa1cdUpTJFcsTS7uJfkSHQt5GlUSJb4F-DUrVh4gig4BUgrt-Z58-6YEOKlKfidpGSXdFEVzMDVn17Zl-kz8YW0jztqn-4MFDNhI9YdI0kKolY8KZB20u4Zfs8kdY1hPy90

I just finished the training mission, and... I like it. The thing is, the experience thus far feels very "PC". Whereas the trend has been to consolize RPG's, AP does the opposite. Like others have mentioned, there is a distinct Deus Ex, Vampire Masquerade, KoToR feel about it so far.

I'd say that if you are a RPG fan who liked the aforementioned, you'll like this game because you'll know how to play it. If you trend toward a faster paced, shooter game, then your $$$ is better spent on Mass Effect 2.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I'm playing this on PC with a gamepad and having good time. Cep is right, you should play it stealthy.

And I have no problem with shooting. I actually like it. And no, this doesn't feel like a PC game because of UI.

It's odd how the reviews for this have only sparked my interest. This game was completely off my radar as I thought it would be just another cornball spy game. I had no idea how deep the rpg and gear mechanics were. And the people complaining about bugs is shrugged off and makes me laugh a bit considering (like previously said) how buggy and janky parts of Bioware/Bethesda games are.

I'm about to pre-order it on Steam I think *shrug*

Having played the game through two hub areas, the game is better than I feared. The combat and stealth mechanics aren't great, and they certainly don't hold up to action games. Although the game has its share of jank, it isn't terrible enough to ruin the game's other charms.

In typical fashion, Obsidian really did themselves a disservice by having a terrible start to the game. They give you no real story hook to get you interested into the plot until after the first hub area. The tutorial zone really showcases the games weakness in game mechanics. Once I got further into the game, it started to click and I slowly started to get into it.

The writing has been pretty solid and ti has nice dialogue, but it's not anything MOTB quality. The story has done a good job of capturing the feel of a spy game and gives you a ton of decisions, but the characters feel a bit flat and archetypal. Things like
Madison's death choice don't really work because she's just some boring character who you've only had three conversations with, and none of them really told you anything personal about her.
We'll see how the rest of the game pans out, I'm not really far enough into it to judge it fully.

The PC version is a typical quick console port with menus developed around a controller, no mouse wheel support for text, and no hotkey options. A clunky interface and things like having to go through a radial menu to change skills when I have a keyboard in front of me is just annoying. The game would have benefited from a Mass Effect style reworking of the interface/HUD. Anyone thinking this game developed first and foremost for the PC is mistaken.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
It's funny how this game is getting panned for it poor combat but the same thing is overlooked in Bethesda's games.

Vamphuntr

_tetsuo_ said:
It's funny how this game is getting panned for it poor combat but the same thing is overlooked in Bethesda's games.

I have the 360 versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3 and they both crash often. Quest are also often impossible to complete because of NPC killing themselves by falling off ledges offscreen and so on. But overall, bugs asides, they were more polished than your average Obsidian game. Can't wait to see what Obsidian will do with New Vegas.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Vamphuntr said:
I have the 360 versions of Oblivion and Fallout 3 and they both crash often. Quest are also often impossible to complete because of NPC killing themselves by falling off ledges offscreen and so on. But overall, bugs asides, they were more polished than your average Obsidian game. Can't wait to see what Obsidian will do with New Vegas.

I'm talking about the combat in Bethesda's games. It was decent at best in Oblivion and Fallout 3's aka "run backwards and wait for action points to build" was worse.

Vamphuntr

_tetsuo_ said:
I'm talking about the combat in Bethesda's games. It was decent at best in Oblivion and Fallout 3's aka "run backwards and wait for action points to build" was worse.

I wanted to quote ElyrionX and I goofed :lol

For those of you who have played both AP and Splinter Cell: Conviction, which would you recommend? I realize Conviction is very short but it looks good. Not sure about AP?

Cep said:
-If you are tear sensitive (or like stable games), ignore the ps3 version like the fucking plague.

So if PS3 is a person's only option, you're suggesting they completely pass on the game, or ... ?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
ElyrionX said:
I know. Its a sad situation. Unless you have a PC.

Peff

NEOPARADIGM said:
So if PS3 is a person's only option, you're suggesting they completely pass on the game, or ... ?

I rented the PS3 version because the store had the PC version was sold out, and... it's playable, if there's no other way to play it and you're interested it's not terrible, but it does have tearing, a low framerate, jaggies, loading, etc. It's really not a very good port. At least the install is small (479 MB).

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Y2Kev said:
It burns, but maybe its the modern 3D presentation and trappings that has exposes them. Not like the combat in planescape was super great either.

But yeah, I dunno. Maybe I'll like it regardless. I love kusoge.

It was great in Icewind Dale though, so Planescape doesnt mean much for Black Isle's combat abilities. However dialogue plays a much bigger role in Planescape than in most RPGs, the combat seems like an afterthought, sort of like the story was an afterthought in Dale II (Icewind Dale I was in between the two.)

Peff said:
I rented the PS3 version because the store had the PC version was sold out, and... it's playable, if there's no other way to play it and you're interested it's not terrible, but it does have tearing, a low framerate, jaggies, loading, etc. It's really not a very good port. At least the install is small (479 MB).

Okay man, thanks.

Draft

_tetsuo_ said:
Bethesda has deep pockets and lots of reviewer cred.

subversus

Manos: The Hans of Fate said:
I have to say while the game does seem full of glitches and bugs, I just can't stop playing it. It is really fun as hell.

Yes, same here, except I'm yet to discover any bugs/glitches. I'm playing very stealthy and using CQC wherever it's possible.

LovingSteam said:
For those of you who have played both AP and Splinter Cell: Conviction, which would you recommend? I realize Conviction is very short but it looks good. Not sure about AP?

It depends on the platform. If you really into RPGs, don't mind goofy graphics and animation and have a capable PC buy Alpha Protocol. If you want fun stealthy and flashy experience buy Conviction, but it's really short - like 5-6 hours. Both games have pretty much similar stealth system, but it's more polished in Conviction. On the other hand AP gives you more options to pass the stage without killing anybody.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
This game absolutely will NOT alt-tab, folks.

Played through the first mission and half of another. This is all very early stuff but I'm still going to spoil it. I made a choice, basically the first one you can make and I saw results already, not even 5 minutes into the next one I took.
I let the arms dealer go. Afterwards I was going out on the next mission and I checked the clearinghouse again. There was an intel pack from him about him leaving a weapon for me in a certain mission. I went on it and in a watch tower, after I took out a guard, a silenced sniper rifle was waiting for me. This made getting through that first section a lot easier

subversus

_tetsuo_ said:
I let the arms dealer go. Afterwards I was going out on the next mission and I checked the clearinghouse again. There was an intel pack from him about him leaving a weapon for me in a certain mission. I went on it and in a watch tower, after I took out a guard, a silenced sniper rifle was waiting for me. This made getting through that first section a lot easier

wow, I
also let him go but haven't find any intel yet. And you found that rifle in the airport where you have to set the bug in the tower, right?

Top Bottom