• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Cep said:
Really?

I have not found this to be the case.

The hardest one was the one at the end of Rome and he only remained difficult until I realized it was safe to use steel rounds(instead of tranqs) on him since you cannot technically 'kill' bosses in combat.

Chain Shot + Shadow Agent + Brilliance trivializes them all.

I was thinking of the people having trouble because they were focused on melee. Chain shot kills everything. Any of the guns (except maybe the shotgun, I haven't used it) special abilities mow down bosses.

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
I was thinking of the people having trouble because they were focused on melee. Chain shot kills everything. Any of the guns (except maybe the shotgun, I haven't used it) special abilities mow down bosses.

Oh, okay.

This reminds me that I should not have chosen Melee as a class skill.

It is sort of useless when one or two pistol shots can kill you (No investment in Fortitude and I still have the beginning armor).

Still, maybe point-blank shot will make it worth it.

Just played my first two hours or so. I'm impressed.

First thing that struck me were the graphics. I thought people were shitting all over them? Maybe it's just the console versions that look horrible? They look amazing here and it ran pretty dang smooth for how good it looks..but then again UE3 is pretty smooth in general. ME2 ran like butter too.

Love the dialogue and characters so far. I like how everyone reacts differently to different attitudes and it's not just a big binary system of smoke and mirrors to give the illusion of "choice."

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
BudokaiMR2 said:
I played some of the taipei missions with a friend, and there were some fun moments for sure. I have still ran into some silly stupid glitches. Pay for a sniper rifle in a mission and when I try to grab it my character somehow spins 10 feet in the air, drawing the attention of all the guards. :(

I died at that part and then when we reloaded all the guards were gone, the first 'room' empty. WTF

PC or consoles? Seems like PC version is the most polished one.

duckroll

subversus said:
PC or consoles? Seems like PC version is the most polished one.

I had the same problem with the sniper drop in the final Taipei mission on PC. The position the sniper rifle is placed in is really crappy, and when you use it, the character model kinda floats above the ground easily drawing the attention of guards. I just laughed it off and imagined that the guy I paid to drop the rifle there fucked with me. :lol

subversus

Basileus777 said:
I'm focused on melee and no had troubles with bosses except the final one in Moscow. But he's easy to be beaten with chainshots or assault rifle (I had only two points in them when I was fighting him).

Cep

Banned
subversus said:
I'm focused on melee and no had troubles with bosses except the final one in Moscow. But he's easy to be beaten with chainshots or assault rifle (I had only two points in them when I was fighting him).

How did you manage the one in Rome (Not that I would ever go melee-only, but I am curious)?

subversus

Cep said:
How did you manage the one in Rome (Not that I would ever go melee-only, but I am curious)?

I throwed an incediary grenade for his guards. Flames brought him downstairs where I was waiting. When he was close I switched into rage mode and it turned out that his melee skills are lacking. But I had only two points to max out in melee at that moment.

By the way I beat
Sis
in the same way with melee points only half to the max.

Cep

Banned
subversus said:
I throwed an incediary grenade for his guards. Flames brought him downstairs where I was waiting. When he was close I switched into rage mode and it turned out that his melee skills are lacking. But I had only two points to max out in melee at that moment.

By the way I beat
Sis
in the same way with melee points only half to the max.

You had to kill the guards?

Okay, that makes sense.

duckroll

So I made it to what I assume is the final operation, based on the title. :lol

The latter half of the game has been AWESOME. Like seriously, my opinion of the game jumped ten fold after leaving Taipei. I'm not sure if it's because Taipei is actually the weak link (apparently Avellone didn't even write it?), or if the game just got way better as I got further and understood the game better. Either way it's been a great ride. Can't wait to see how the final operation unfolds.

One comment about Moscow to share with other experienced agents in this thread:
So when I encountered Sis on the boat, I beat her, and then because she wouldn't talk to me or answer any of my questions, I let the option linger a second too long on EXECUTE and "accidentally" killed her. It was kinda lulz, because Albertross got REALLY mad at me, but then later he was kinda begging me to help him out with the Embassy mission. I turned him down of course. Then later I thought about it, and I honestly felt really bad about the entire thing. She was just a girl, and I dunno, that felt like a really bad judgement call on my part. I think I'm suffering from secret agent remorse. :(

And one for Rome:
After being all remorseful about my actions in Moscow, I kinda used Madison as a rebound chick. She's young, eager, and oooh so naive. Unfortunately though, although I told her that I would protect her, I had to save the museum. This time I didn't really feel as bad. At least she didn't die in vain. Her death will motivate me to put a bunch of Chainshots in Marburg's face the next time we meet!

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:

The latter half of the game has been AWESOME. Like seriously, my opinion of the game jumped ten fold after leaving Taipei. I'm not sure if it's because Taipei is actually the weak link (apparently Avellone didn't even write it?), or if the game just got way better as I got further and understood the game better. Either way it's been a great ride. Can't wait to see how the final operation unfolds.

One comment about Moscow to share with other experienced agents in this thread:
So when I encountered Sis on the boat, I beat her, and then because she wouldn't talk to me or answer any of my questions, I let the option linger a second too long on EXECUTE and "accidentally" killed her. It was kinda lulz, because Albertross got REALLY mad at me, but then later he was kinda begging me to help him out with the Embassy mission. I turned him down of course. Then later I thought about it, and I honestly felt really bad about the entire thing. She was just a girl, and I dunno, that felt like a really bad judgement call on my part. I think I'm suffering from secret agent remorse. :(

And one for Rome:
After being all remorseful about my actions in Moscow, I kinda used Madison as a rebound chick. She's young, eager, and oooh so naive. Unfortunately though, although I told her that I would protect her, I had to save the museum. This time I didn't really feel as bad. At least she didn't die in vain. Her death will motivate me to put a bunch of Chainshots in Marburg's face the next time we meet!

Yeah, Tepei is definitely the weakest link (still good though).

Rome and Moscow(except for the early missions) are really good.

Especially Rome. I absolutely adore it.

As for Madison and Sis...

Sis:
You are a fucking monster and I hope you burn in hell :p. Seriously though, G22/Albetross/Sis are probably the only good people/factions in the game. You missed out of some pretty good stuff (their theme is especially badass. Loved it in the Brakyo mission).

Malburg:
This dude is one of the only two people on my shit list (Brakyo is the other), I love to hate him. Funny enough, I reached friendship status with him around the time he ordered me killed (gained trusted when he started to torture me in his villa).

Madison:
I let her die, and I felt bad about it, but I never was attached to her, she seemed too fake. Piece of advice: Next playthrough, let her live. I wonder if your opinion of her will stay the same (lol)

subversus

duckroll said:

The latter half of the game has been AWESOME. Like seriously, my opinion of the game jumped ten fold after leaving Taipei. I'm not sure if it's because Taipei is actually the weak link (apparently Avellone didn't even write it?), or if the game just got way better as I got further and understood the game better.

I think this.

Taipei was my third base and I found it more enjoyable than Moscow. Avellone wrote all characters and mission banter btw.

Tempted to read your spoilers but the game has too many choices that I couldn't attempt on the first walkthrough.

duckroll

Cep said:
Sis:
You are a fucking monster and I hope you burn in hell :p. Seriously though, G22/Albetross/Sis are probably the only good people/factions in the game. You missed out of some pretty good stuff (their theme is especially badass. Loved it in the Brakyo mission).

Will you forgive me if I say that I'll try to make up for this in the replay I plan on doing right after? I really do feel bad. :(

Malburg:
This dude is one of the only two people on my shit list (Brakyo is the other), I love to hate him. Funny enough, I reached friendship status with him around the time he ordered me killed (gained trusted when he started to torture me in his villa).

I have a bunch of people on my shit list. Maburg, Brakyo, Darcy, Albartross, everyone working for Halybec... Now that I think about it. I think they're all men! I think I have a personality problem! :lol

Madison:
I let her die, and I felt bad about it, but I never was attached to her, she seemed too fake. Piece of advice: Next playthrough, let her live. I wonder if your opinion of her will stay the same (lol)

I guess we'll see. I can't really promise that she will automatically survive on my replay. But... maybe on ONE of my replays...

subversus said:
I think this.

Taipei was my third base and I found it more enjoyable than Moscow. Avellone wrote all characters and mission banter btw.

Tempted to read your spoilers but the game has too many choices that I couldn't attempt on the first walkthrough.

We'll find out when I replay it. I plan on tackling the hubs in a different manner the next time. I'm pretty sure Avellone said that he didn't write most of Taipei, and that one of the other writers was in-charge of that hub and the characters in it though.

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
Will you forgive me if I say that I'll try to make up for this in the replay I plan on doing right after? I really do feel bad. :(
And you certainly should feel bad. Obvious Sis spoiler:
She is mute.

I have a bunch of people on my shit list. Maburg, Brakyo, Darcy, Albartross, everyone working for Halybec... Now that I think about it. I think they're all men! I think I have a personality problem! :lol

Mighty impressive shit list you got there
(I guarantee you that a female or two will join it in a subsequent play-thorugh).

I only have issues with Malburg because of how much he presumes. The man seems to think that he is some sort of god or something.

Brakyo is only an issue because
he pimped out his sisters.

I guess we'll see. I can't really promise that she will automatically survive on my replay. But... maybe on ONE of my replays...
I suggest making a save of the checkpoint before you make the choice.

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
I'm not highlighting ANY of those spoilers. You might attempt to bait me, but I will not give in! :lol

:lol

They are not that bad. The Sis one is really obvious, and the Brakyo one is in his file.

As for the others, let us just say that a certain list will gain more
variety
on subsequent play-throughs.

K.Jack

Knowledge is power, guard it well
Oh shit, Alpha Protocol is already unlocked on Steam?

This is a nice surprise to wake up and see.

Cep

Banned
Just finished Moscow.

Combat aside, if I were not playing Nocturne at the same time, this would be the best game I played all year.

Still, pretty damn amazing (Combat aside of course).

Also, I have inadvertently gained +8 with Leland. He seems to like the fact that I am nearly invisible on any record (he also seems to like the fact that I support the status quo and am pretty cold/calculating).

duckroll

Holy crap. I just finished it. That finale was a BLOODBATH. What I got out of my ending is basically that
Mike Thornton, aka duckroll the Butcher, was a very pissed off and angry man, so he had no more patience to listen to excuses or care about logic. He killed them all, and was left wondering why some people did certain things, but after getting the chick, he realized he didn't really give a fuck about the whys or the hows. They're all dead. Fuck yeah! :lol

I totally need a replay to tie up loose ends and stuff.

dark10x

Digital Foundry pixel pusher
Cep said:
Just finished Moscow.

Combat aside, if I were not playing Nocturne at the same time, this would be the best game I played all year.

Still, pretty damn amazing (Combat aside of course).

Also, I have inadvertently gained +8 with Leland. He seems to like the fact that I am nearly invisible on any record (he also seems to like the fact that I support the status quo and am pretty cold/calculating).
Good to hear.

Not too worried about combat. I would like something better, but let's face it, the combat in Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines was absolutely atrocious. From what I can tell, Alpha Protocol bests those games in that area easily, despite still falling well behind a real shooter.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
dark10x said:
Good to hear.

Not too worried about combat. I would like something better, but let's face it, the combat in Deus Ex and Vampire Bloodlines was absolutely atrocious. From what I can tell, Alpha Protocol bests those games in that area easily, despite still falling well behind a real shooter.

Eh, Bloodlines was also became much better on the shooting end if you maxed it and especially if you had the power that increase marksmenship.

duckroll

I really, really like the branching in the game. Now that I've beaten one playthrough and I can look back on it, I can say that Obsidian really nailed it. It really isn't about a "choice" at the ending, nor is it about your choices making a different "ending" cutscene so to speak. Instead the entire game is a branching experience.

It does the total opposite of ME2. In ME2, any choice you made during the game doesn't really extensively change the experience or storyline on a whole, and the only major "omg" factor was that in the final mission any of your team mates could die if you made shitty decisions at that point. In AP, pretty much any of your allies can die, but whether they are your ally or not, and whether they live or die if they are (or even if they are not), depend on major decisions you make as you play the game. In this sense, it is much more satisfying because the rest of the game then progresses and you have to live with the consequences of your actions for the remainder of the game.

I can't wait to start a replay tomorrow. Fantastic experience. Obsidian definitely delivered.

HK-47 said:
Eh, Bloodlines was also became much better on the shooting end if you maxed it and especially if you had the power that increase marksmenship.

But the combat still was relatively shitty. Especially towards the end with the Chinese vamps and what not

Dark has it spot on. Combat was never the strength of those titles

But Deus Ex is still my all time favorite title on any platform :D

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
AgentOtaku said:
But the combat still was relatively shitty. Especially towards the end with the Chinese vamps and what not

Dark has it spot on. Combat was never the strength of those titles

But Deus Ex is still my all time favorite title on any platform :D

Thats why you play Malk, max Obfuscate, and backstab everyone!

subversus

HK-47 said:

It's the same with AP.

duckroll

subversus said:
It's the same with AP.

Definitely agree. Once I maxed out Stealth and Pistols, holy shit it was like Christmas. It definitely feels like a how it should in all good RPGs when you max out a proficiency and unlock all the super hax. Shadow Operative maxed out + maxed Chainshot = SUCK IT DOWN BOSSES. :D

Peff

I have to agree too. I went with Assault Rifle, Stealth and the health/resistance row and once I had put a few points for the AR I was actually able to snipe fools left and right quickly and actually play like a decent shooter. It's funny seeing most of us go from "Well, it's okay" to "It was great!" :lol Looking forward to what AmeriGAF thinks!

Interfectum

considering picking this up for 360... exactly how 'evil' can you be in this game and how much of an impact does it have on the game overall?

duckroll

Interfectum said:
considering picking this up for 360... exactly how 'evil' can you be in this game and how much of an impact does it have on the game overall?

Alpha Protocol is not about good or evil. You can be a totally anti-social asshole to makes fun of what everyone says, takes nothing seriously, and just blow everything up at the first chance you get, and kill every single boss character without bothering to listen what they have to say. But none of that is actually "evil".

AnnSwag

angry @ Blu-Ray's success
I really think that Alpha Protocol should been delayed of canceled. Because it could have been better.

kai3345

Banned
Ok, this is going to be kind of a weird request but my friend was supposed to buy me the game and he bought me the Steam version, and my computer sucks ass. So I was wondering if anyone wanted to trade the steam version for the 360 Version?

subversus

That was a great ride! I seriously think that majority of reviewers didn't play the game to completion, because "shooting sucks" argument can be valid only at first few stages of the game. Lack of polish and mediocre graphics are what people can't deal with anymore, especially the console crowd. I wish 1)this game was polished and had good graphics 2)games production would cost something like 1-5 million bucks but that's a dream unfortunately. If it would cost 1-5 million than we could hope for a sequel. Damn, I really want AP2 and that's never going to happen. Well, there are two more walkthroughs at least and they will be very different.

Good job, Obsidian. At least some people at Obsidian.

I liked the ending.
I went with Heck and killed all the motherfuckers.
And the news report after during the credits made me want a sequel even more.

kai3345 said:
Ok, this is going to be kind of a weird request but my friend was supposed to buy me the game and he bought me the Steam version, and my computer sucks ass. So I was wondering if anyone wanted to trade the steam version for the 360 Version?

You can't trade STEAM games.

JBuccCP

Played a couple of real mission, really enjoying it. The graphics aren't the best but they're fine to me (360 version). Maybe I'm just easy to please. Going with a stealth+pistol guy and the shooting feels fine to me as long as you're patient. The only thing i really don't like is that damn lock picking minigame.

MannahContana said:
As far as WRPG comedic side kicks you have Morte and Minsc who were some of the originals. But HK 47 really was the first major breakout character for the general public, KOTOR being star wars game was more mainstream than the other two games. To this day characters like Mordin and even in this thread Steven Heck are being compared to the character. Significant character in the history of WRPGs.
As far as WRPG comedic sidekicks, sure.

I took exception to "one of the best characters ever" which, out of context (and even in context) seemed to imply across all media.

Patryn

Out of curiousity, how does the combat compare to that of Mass Effect 1? The more I hear, the more it sounds extremely similar.

I've gone back to ME1 recently, and remembering how janky that combat could be, so if AP is the same, then it's not a big deal to me.

NIN90

Patryn said:
Out of curiousity, how does the combat compare to that of Mass Effect 1? The more I hear, the more it sounds extremely similar.

Really similar. Though you will miss a lot more.
There's just something about shooting at a guy and his health bar decreasing over his head that tickles my fancy in both games!

Vlodril

Just finished my professional run and the game was great. Although
i didn't even know Mina was there and it said she died afterwards.. i did'nt see her anywhere that sucked. Also complete no show on westridge.

In the end, a very satisfying game and exactly what i expected. Too bad it will bomb hard in sales i could really go for a sequel.

subversus

Stallion Free said:
I feel fucking spoiled getting both this and Mass Effect 2 in the same year. Almost done with Moscow, been a delicious ride so far.

Same here :D

About 100 hours spent in ME2 and although both games are really different, each one has its own charm. I wasn't able to put down both of them. ME2 is my GOTY for now.

Vlodril said:
Just finished my professional run and the game was great. Although
i didn't even know Mina was there and it said she died afterwards.. i did'nt see her anywhere that sucked. Also complete no show on westridge.

In the end, a very satisfying game and exactly what i expected. Too bad it will bomb hard in sales i could really go for a sequel.

Same thing happened to me
with Mina
the first time.

Westridge doesn't show up unless you join Halbech, then he replaces Leland as the final boss.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
subversus said:
Same here :D

About 100 hours spent in ME2 and although both games are really different each one has its own charm. I wasn't able to put down both of them. ME2 is my GOTY for now.
I just love the mix of third person real-time action combined with the excellent stories + dialogue. I haven't even finished Alpha Protocol and I'm looking forward to a replay (I'll prolly roll pistol and stealth instead of melee and stealth). I'm glad I went with the Noob class so that I get 150 AP's for start of my next run :D

DrBo42

Downloading now off of Steam. Just expecting a spy rpg with a list of interesting characters and choices. Gunplay can be on the back burner. Is there any skill trees I should be avoiding on a first playthrough? I'd prefer to go stealth/hand to hand rather than guns but if it will make my time frustrating then I'll avoid it.

Top Bottom