• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
I do not believe this to be accurate to be honest. I know they used that as a selling point early in the game (actually I think Chris Parker did), but Avellone later clarified that it was not really their intention for each stance to be a specific character type. Instead, there is only one "character type" in Alpha Protocol - Mike Thornton.

The casual/suave/flirting/etc response locked to the X button is basically the dick response, The Y button response is the angry response, and the B button is the by the books response. In many of these cases, they are not something that James Bond, Jack Bauer, or Jason Bourne would ever say. It's not really about character type so much as an emotional response based on Thornton's personality.

The personality that Avellone has given Thornton is obviously that of a generally sarcastic dick who is pretty confident of himself. Most of the professional responses are written such that even the voice direction seems to indicate he is only tolerating the situation for the sake of the mission. Thornton is most natural when he has the upper hand and is sounding all confident and in control. I think it would not be fair to say the character was simply written to present 3 different other character outlets for players, because it's clearly not the case.

I am going to have to disagree a little on this.

While it is true that the different choices are not meant to mirror what the JBs would do, they do very much represent what each character basically is (so their general stances).

Think about it.

Reduce these (somewhat complex) characters into single words and you find that:

Bourne is indeed a consummate professional (to a fault)
Bond is suave/slick rogue(perhaps too slick...)
Bauer is pretty aggressive/precipitous (in short, he is a Jerk).

And then in situations where the above do not apply, you usually get synonyms, or words that one could reasonably associate with them.

I think the existence of the JBs definately influenced the way the stance system--and the game--were set up, though obviously not the content.

duckroll

You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. The original complain was about why "suave" in the game is translated into generally being a dick. The answer is that Michael Thornton is largely a dick. That is his character, and that is how his dialogue is written. Whether he is trying to be "suave" or "aggressive", the result is him being pretty dickish in different ways. When you pick "professional" you can feel Mike holding it in, and reining himself in for the sake of the mission or conversation.

The "suave" responses he makes are by no means written with "what would James Bond say" in mind, and the aggressive responses are most definitely not "what would Jack Baur say" responses. They are all what Mike Thornton would say, if you want him to pretend to be suave or if you allow him to be aggressive, or if you want him to be more professional.

I'm not arguing about how the stance system was originally conceptualized. I'm talking about the actual end result: what Mike says when you pick a response. That dialogue is written to be based on Mike's personality and character, and that is consistent in the entire game.

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
You're misunderstanding what I'm saying. The original complain was about why "suave" in the game is translated into generally being a dick. The answer is that Michael Thornton is largely a dick. That is his character, and that is how his dialogue is written. Whether he is trying to be "suave" or "aggressive", the result is him being pretty dickish in different ways. When you pick "professional" you can feel Mike holding it in, and reining himself in for the sake of the mission or conversation.

The "suave" responses he makes are by no means written with "what would James Bond say" in mind, and the aggressive responses are most definitely not "what would Jack Baur say" responses. They are all what Mike Thornton would say, if you want him to pretend to be suave or if you allow him to be aggressive, or if you want him to be more professional.

I'm not arguing about how the stance system was originally conceptualized. I'm talking about the actual end result: what Mike says when you pick a response. That dialogue is written to be based on Mike's personality and character, and that is consistent in the entire game.

Oh, then yeah.

This is something that I have noticed in WRPGs when there is an established named character that you play as. There is a sort of filter (completely player-created characters usually do not have this).

I suppose the writers do it in order to give a sense of continuity to the character, no matter which decisions you make.

Hit my first bug in the PS3 version. After doing one mission in Saudi Arabia, I returned to my safe house, checked out my weaponry, turned on the t- FROZEN.

Crap! I was just getting back into things.

All in all, the PS3 version is just as homely as the other versions. This game would have looked sick in 2006.

bonesmccoy said:
Hit my first bug in the PS3 version. After doing one mission in Saudi Arabia, I returned to my safe house, checked out my weaponry, turned on the t- FROZEN.

Crap! I was just getting back into things.

All in all, the PS3 version is just as homely as the other versions. This game would have looked sick in 2006.

Same thing happened to me when I turned the TV on, lol! I am through one mission in Saudi Arabia and I am really digging it. There is some tearing, but nothing terrible. Also, the framerate is pretty damn stable, so I don't get where that was coming from! Also, I have had zero issues with the shooting mechanic so far. This is on PS3 by the way.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
I was having trouble on the Moscow finale so I loaded up the checkpoint from the safehouse and switched over to Rome so I could level my hand to hand a bit more. Rome has been fucking great so far. I get hooked and then I just keep telling myself one more mission... and then it's 2 in the morning. I'm loving the characters and I am trying to take my time with it because I am dreading it coming to a finish. I only have a 2 or so Rome missions left, all of Taipei and the Moscow finale. Tell me there is moreeeee.

I'm probably more of a recruit; good-natured but occasionally misses the point spectacularly.

Stallion Free said:
I was having trouble on the Moscow finale so I loaded up the checkpoint from the safehouse and switched over to Rome so I could level my hand to hand a bit more. Rome has been fucking great so far. I get hooked and then I just keep telling myself one more mission... and then it's 2 in the morning. I'm loving the characters and I am trying to take my time with it because I am dreading it coming to a finish. I only have a 2 or so Rome missions left, all of Taipei and the Moscow finale. Tell me there is moreeeee.

There is more :)

Ventrue said:
Not really? It's the end game after you finish the three main areas.

Yes, but the end-game is hardly short. It's a varied series of objectives and combat sections which is comparable in length to one of the major missions. The fact that it's also the place where a number of the choices that the player has made become critically important to the story makes it one of the best parts of the game, so I don't think that Stallion needs to fret much.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Anyone else pretty much completely selling out into the world of "role playing" with this title?

I am actually reacting to situations as a new recruit would, someone green in the field. At times he gets irritated, overzealous, hotheaded. Very sarcastic with other people. In objectives and missions its hardcore professional.

I think that is one thing I like about the stance situation, it really makes roleplaying one of those "React" to the type situations.

I know some will just do "PROFESSIONAL ALL THE WAY THROUGH" but I am actually liking playing the character as a green recruit would :lol

Cep

Banned
I play the game the same way I play all games that give me choice: I try to maximize content.

Not a big fan of role playing.

pilonv1

lsslave said:
Anyone else pretty much completely selling out into the world of "role playing" with this title?

I am actually reacting to situations as a new recruit would, someone green in the field. At times he gets irritated, overzealous, hotheaded. Very sarcastic with other people. In objectives and missions its hardcore professional.

I think that is one thing I like about the stance situation, it really makes roleplaying one of those "React" to the type situations.

I know some will just do "PROFESSIONAL ALL THE WAY THROUGH" but I am actually liking playing the character as a green recruit would :lol

My character consistently tries to be suave to the ladies, a jerk to any of the males he works with, and bargains with enemies. Nobody is perfect.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
lsslave said:

I find myself doing that. With Heck, I am always an asshole to him because hes just so damn annoying.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
lsslave said:

I play it the same way, but act not as a recruit but as a seasoned operative. I was aggressive only to Leland, because he's a sick motherfucker, to Sie and Heck (because they kind of like it). Other times it's a mix of suave and professional.

When I finish Dragon Age I might do my second walkthrough and I'm planning on being pretty much agressive asshole that prefers shooting to talking.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Scarlet wants me to call her but I can't find the damn phone D:

edit: That situation resolved itself, then turned disastrous in our conference call :lol

weekendCONFIRMED said:
I don't know what is wrong with reviewers. Jaded, maybe? I have yet to see any of the complaints brought up in reviews that "warranted" the mediocre/low reviews. I haven't felt like anything is broken. The graphics are gorgeous (PC, highest settings). The shooting feels just as "solid" as ME2. Why should I jump on the hate train when I haven't had one frustration or complaint with the game so far (about 4 hours in, wrapped up Moscow).

For shame, Arthur Gies, for telling people to "not buy" this game. (Again, i can't speak for the console version)

Maybe I am off base, but I just think that any game nowadays that comes out lacking a certain bit of polish or production values is going to score lower. I mean the game does NOT look gorgeous for a game releasing now. It looks alright and I have no problem with the graphic drawbacks, but definitely not the games strong point. Plus things like the janky animation for almost anything in the game. I don't know how anyone can actually enjoy the melee combat since it looks so horrid. I have even been putting points in it because it seems so useful. Plus his damn crouching duck waddle has to be the ugliest thing I have seen in a game in a while.

I am probably just being picky as hell but the game just seems to lack focus and too many lost opportunities. I mean I can't really blame people for thinking the stealth is lame, especially since he just manages to turn his body translucent like any MMO game since 1990. Would it have been that hard to just make that ability some kind of GiTS style cloaking device?

I have played a bit more, and some of the missions seems to better designed than Saudi at least. Outside of some of the glithces I ran into in the last mission in Taipei I enjoyed it a much more. The shooting feels a bit better, but I am still annoyed that the critical shot crosshair on the pistol seems so finicky about its range. Does the range it works at go up as you put points in?

Played the first set of missions plus one. Not really feeling stealthy despite having the maximum possible points in stealth so far. Feels like once you get caught, you're stuck shooting your way out of it until you find the alarm, which is more realistic than Metal Gear style alert phases, but less fun, because I really wanted to play this as a stealth game, not a bad shooter. I thought I had gotten over the hump in the last mission, but then I tripped up on a hard hack since all my points were in stealth and ended up having to shoot my way out the second half of the mission.

That said, when the stealth works, it is that much more satisfying having tried and failed so many times before. Hopefully I'll play more tomorrow and find myself able to achieve Old Snake levels of video game espionage brokeness before long.

EDIT: Anyone playing PC with keyboard and mouse? I plugged in my USB receiver for 360 controllers without hesitation, but am now wondering how the hacking and lock picking are handled without dual sticks and triggers.

duckroll

I started my replay: hard mode, recruit build. Playing as recruit made the "tutorial" sequences at the start more interesting, with the extra options. I also actually bothered to excel in the training missions enough to get all the bonus missions too. Finally made it to Saudi Arabia, putting points mainly into Assault Rifle, Sabotage, and Toughness this time.

Since I was a recruit, I basically played nice during the entire tutorial sequence and was a good boy to everyone involved. But now that I'm let loose on my first mission, I'm going to be a sexist and impatient dick, while trying to get in the good books of all the "bad" people. :D

subversus

BudokaiMR2 said:
I don't know how anyone can actually enjoy the melee combat since it looks so horrid. I have even been putting points in it because it seems so useful.

oh c'mon, melee animations are only decent animations in this game

MegaKungFuRadio said:
EDIT: Anyone playing PC with keyboard and mouse? I plugged in my USB receiver for 360 controllers without hesitation, but am now wondering how the hacking and lock picking are handled without dual sticks and triggers.
Lock picking is just moving up and down with the mouse until you hit the "centre", unless you're under stress you can't fail. Hacking is done with KB for the left code and mouse for the right.

Feels pretty tacked on, but it works alright.

Picked this up yesterday. Only got up through the tutuorial escape mission (which sadly, I died a few times at :lol ), and played to where I have my first 3 choices of Saudi missions. So far, the banter has been good, Im interested, having fun. Still getting a grip with how stealth works, as it seems that guards are quite aware and have VERY broad vision. With due time.

Pooya

SEEEEEGAAAA!
I picked up the PC version today and played for a couple of hours, I think I'll like this game, I'm a sucker for Sam Fisher style crouch-walking :lol (it doesn't look nearly as good though), voice acting is decent and the game looks good enough, I'm getting 40-45 fps on my laptop.
mini games are so annoying, playing without a 360 controller is pretty much impossible.
I don't regret buying it overall.

Ventrue

TheApatheticOne said:
Still getting a grip with how stealth works, as it seems that guards are quite aware and have VERY broad vision. With due time.
It gets a lot easier with a higher stealth skill.

Tamanon

Banned
Up to the third Saudi mission now after getting it last night for my birthday, having a blast.:D Think I'm going to start over as a recruit though, I went in as a tech guy at first. Shotgun + Assault Rifle = <3

In addition to me very first initial impressions, I will say, that at least through the tutorials, I had no issue with any of the minigames. Only one I semi-struggled with was the computer hacking, my eyes refuse to find the digits not moving. :lol

dejan

Ordered this game yesterday from play.com so hopefully I'll be able to play this by next week. Been reading reviews by german pc gaming outlets and they were pretty positive. I've got a question regarding the pc version: my new pc is currently hooked up to my plasma and I'm thinking to keep it that way for AO, so I was wondering if the gamepad controls are any good.

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
Well, this game is just so damn fantastic so far. I can hardly see what the complaints are about. Granted, I'm only 3 missions in, but besides the guards having super vision, I'm not seeing why this game "should have been scrapped." Easily a hidden gem of an RPG. I'm happy to have taken a chance on this, despite the bad press.

duckroll

WanderingWind said:
Well, this game is just so damn fantastic so far. I can hardly see what the complaints are about. Granted, I'm only 3 missions in, but besides the guards having super vision, I'm not seeing why this game "should have been scrapped." Easily a hidden gem of an RPG. I'm happy to have taken a chance on this, despite the bad press.

The game should have been scrapped because once again, for gamers with real taste, Obsidian shows Bioware how RPGs are made. That's dangerous! :lol

duckroll

Stallion Free said:
I would like to think that Bioware plants have better taste than Joystiq for their undercover post to troll the game as a supposed Obsidian dev.

He could be operating under Alpha Protocol. No funding, no support, he's on his own...

WanderingWind

Mecklemore Is My Favorite Wrapper
I was shocked. I was rude to one of my handlers (Darcy, I think) and I lost access to an upgrade.

You mean...my actions have consequences? WTF IS THIS SHIT???

:lol

Concept17

Ok wtf is with the computer hacking? I try and align the codes, and I can lock in the right one with mouse click 1, but the other it says to use Lctrl...but it does nothing...

And apparently alt-tabbing crashes the game... fuck.

NIN90

Concept17 said:
Ok wtf is with the computer hacking? I try and align the codes, and I can lock in the right one with mouse click 1, but the other it says to use Lctrl...but it does nothing...

The other one is spacebar for me.

Aedile

The technical weaknesses and flaws of this game certainly do, like the reviews suggest, detract from AP's potential. But even with bland level design, so-so graphics, poorly-implemented stealth, lousy combat and the generally rushed feel after the leisurely Saudi Arabia intro, it all boils down to the fact that RPGs are still primarily about character interaction, plot and writing; and AP does the former excellently and the latter two well enough. The Way of the Samurai-style focus on lots of small actions having meaningful consequences could even be called groundbreaking in a WRPG.

For me, it's had the same I-know-this-has-problems-but-it's-still-great vibe as V:tM Bloodlines did back in the day.

Aedile said:
The technical weaknesses and flaws of this game certainly do, like the reviews suggest, detract from AP's potential. But even with bland level design, so-so graphics, poorly-implemented stealth, lousy combat and the generally rushed feel after the leisurely Saudi Arabia intro, it all boils down to the fact that RPGs are still primarily about character interaction, plot and writing; and AP does the former excellently and the latter two well enough. The Way of the Samurai-style focus on lots of small actions having meaningful consequences could even be called groundbreaking in a WRPG.

For me, it's had the same I-know-this-has-problems-but-it's-still-great vibe as V:tM Bloodlines did back in the day.

Yeah the game should have obviously been made into one of those choose your own adventure novels, but with attitude choices at the bottom of the pages. :)

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Shit so I
went to Taipei continue strengthening my skills while having done all missions up to the Moscow and Rome finales. In Taipei I met Steven Heck and did a bunch of missions. Once I was about where I wanted to be to fight the Moscow finale boss again (I had failed horribly on him earlier so I loaded up a safehouse save from before the mission) I went back to Moscow and checked the Clearinghouse. Holy shit Steven Heck had spiked cocaine for me for the mission. WTF. THIS IS AWESOME. FUCK OBSIDIAN, THAT MADE MY DAY.

This is fucking great as well: Sharply Dressed Man Trailer

subversus

Stallion Free said:
Shit so I
went to Taipei continue strengthening my skills while having done all missions up to the Moscow and Rome finales. In Taipei I met Steven Heck and did a bunch of missions. Once I was about where I wanted to be to fight the Moscow finale boss again (I had failed horribly on him earlier so I loaded up a safehouse save from before the mission) I went back to Moscow and checked the Clearinghouse. Holy shit Steven Heck had spiked cocaine for me for the mission. WTF. THIS IS AWESOME. FUCK OBSIDIAN, THAT MADE MY DAY.

fuck, why have I read this??? shit, shit, shit, no more highlighting.

edit: did it help by the way ?

tribal24

Banned
god the game just got 100x more badass so i finally got enough money to buy sound dampnening armor and now im stealthing like a king with silent running

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
subversus said:
fuck, why have I read this??? shit, shit, shit, no more highlighting.

edit: did it help by the way ?
Haha, I should have put up a spoiler free version of my post so people who haven't played the game can appreciate how awesome it is. I'm not sure if it helped because I had just started to play the mission again and then I had to go to out :( I will definitely be playing it as soon as I get home though.

Kuro Madoushi

Unconfirmed Member
Got about a good 8 hours in yesterday. I'm playing with a 360 controller on my PC

I haven't noticed all the flaws people are taking about.

Voice delivery is adequate
Story is a convoluted, but the basic premise is fine...I'll give them a break since there are so much routes and decisions you can make
Gameplay itself is decent. Shooting can be a bit of a pain with no points, but I like to go stealth and chop everyone
Tearing? Haven't really noticed it.
I almost get the sense of Arkham Aslyum in some parts (nowhere near as good of course), where the whole room is a puzzle and there are multiple ways to take out baddies
I would say the consequences are pretty big on the choices you make. Not sure where this "I didn't see my decisions reflected" bullshit come from.
I'm not sure why people are complaining about the hacking. I PREFER the hacking against the stupid security override (finding the passcodes over picking the numbers to match the lines)

Biggest complaints
AI is pretty stupid :p However, I NEVER had any baddies try to run up to me and punch me first before shooting me. So whomever said that is a fucking idiot. The only exception is one boss, and that's BECAUSE that's his specialty.
Animation is pretty terrible.
Romance is terribad....honestly, do game writers REALLY not know how a relationship works? Hell, I would've been happy with a cliche spy movie romance (or several) instead of meet, greet, fuck. There is NO development at all...even ME2 had SOME development.
Customization options are lacking...really, they could've provided more unlocks for perks or whatever
Also, the Shadow Master skill is overpowered. I can use it and go into a room IN FULL VIEW of everyone and stealth kill them facing them :p I liked how there was an alert, but I just stood next to a door and killed everyone running through it.

Top Bottom