• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Bebpo

Banned
I'm surprised more people don't recognize Nolan North by just hearing him. He's in soooo many games these days you just get used to his voice! To be fair though, I don't know any other English game voice actor by name besides him and Cam Clarke.

Like I also noticed him as a guard in the tutorial area and he was the first CIA agent you encounter in the Rome CIA mission. I guess I'm just used to catching voice actors from my days of anime watching, lol. I can usually tell if it's a famous voice actor by the way they cough; apparently I am a natural born voice stalker.

Cep

Banned
Y2Kev said:
I think Thorton is way better voiced than Male Shep. I don't play FemShep cuz she's not on the box and I have Jennifer Hale overload.

Agreed. Despite first impressions, Thorton has a pretty good VA.

Also, Male-Shep voice is bad no matter how you look at it.

duckroll said:
Wait.
You spared Westridge? How? I didn't even SEE him in my game. He and Marburg escaped somehow in the chaos and I never saw them. I was too busy killing Scarlett, Parker, Darcy, and Leland. I rescued Mina and escaped with her on the boat with everyone else dead and the world in a much worse place than it was at the start of the game. Lulz.

If you do not want the world to suck you gots to
let Mina die.

You also gots to
manipulate
Parker (By letting
Deng, Surkov, Saleed live. As this gives you absolute power over their respective areas).

Bebpo said:
Plus I think I just didn't like it because it had zero G22 presence and they made everything better.

Another G22 lover?

Their music is sooooo badass.

Bebpo said:
It's basically an unchangeable plot point that the embassy gets attacked and you get some blame for MARINE DEATH, boooo.

In my game, I was not blamed for killing them, just being irresponsible and letting them die.

No way to avoid that. The best you can do is properly rationalize it.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah, I think Thorton's VA was AWESOME. His dead-pan style of saying ridiculous things with no emotion combined with Avellone's great writing made AP very, very funny at times.

I think my favorite was when Heck said something crazy and Thorton goes "Riiiiiiight, anyways...." :lol

And the delivery in this ending spoilers video (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VUydx57te9s) where he goes
so you...don't want me to save you?
is genius.

Bebpo

Banned
Ending question:
Is there any way to oppose Leland and have him not die in the ending and instead bring him to justice in court?

Bebpo said:
Ending question:
Is there any way to oppose Leland and have him not die in the ending and instead bring him to justice in court?

You can just choose to spare him. Scarlet only shows up in certain scenarios. If you rescue her, she doesn't do anything like that.
It doesn't make any real difference in the ending though.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
Bebpo said:
Ending question:

AFAIK, the only way to have that happen is if you
either rescue or kill Scarlet inside the interrogation room where you first met Yancy. Then you have the usual option to knock him out, and no one else will step in to interfere.

I absolutely love this game. The characters, the stealth system, the variety of levels, the number of choices you can make, and so on make this one of my favorite RPG's is the past few years.

Right now I am on my second playthrough and am impressed with the differences between both runs. I appreciate that the differences created by your choices don't always broadcast themselves as they do in other RPG's, so I'll occasionally bump into something new in an unexpected place. Plus it is nice to take a break from the usual skill system. Hopefully more developers adopt it as I really enjoy the feeling that I'm advancing across a perk tree, rather than adding +2 to charisma.

My only real complaints are the lack of difficulty, and the dialogue system. Stealth combined with the pistol is way too close to being a God mode for my tastes, and I imagine you could sleepwalk through the game if you threw in a smattering of the 3pts skills. As for the conversation system, just like in Mass Effect, "vague idea of what might be said" sucks. Too many times I'd fine myself unwittingly being an asshole or full-on creepy when I selected "suave." Of course, it doesn't help that the dialogue is frequently unnatural and bland. Who was the sociopath who wrote some of those "joke" emails?

Oh, and the lack of a usefull save system had me cursing a number of times, especially when combined with the convo system, since it meant I had to ctrl-alt-del a number of times. This was responsable for what are easily the most aggravating gaming moments in recent memory. Feel my hate, Obsidian.

Bebpo

Banned
Before starting my 2nd playthrough, I reloaded my save at the start of endgame and made slight changes and got a MUCH more satisfying ending.

Convinced Parker to take down Alpha Protocol, Saved Mina, Fought Westridge as my boss and Arrested him, Beat up Leland and was going to arrest him when Scarlett shot me, while I talked to Scarlett and Leland, Mina snuck up with a sniper rifle and on my signal shot and killed Scarlett, I arrested Leland as well and took off on the boat with Mina.

Good times!

Oh and got another bug. The credit real said Madison lived and the museum blew up, but she died in my playthrough and the bombs didn't go off :lol

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:
Before starting my 2nd playthrough, I reloaded my save at the start of endgame and made slight changes and got a MUCH more satisfying ending.

Convinced Parker to take down Alpha Protocol, Saved Mina, Fought Westridge as my boss and Arrested him, Beat up Leland and was going to arrest him when Scarlett shot me, while I talked to Scarlett and Leland, Mina snuck up with a sniper rifle and on my signal shot and killed Scarlett, I arrested Leland as well and took off on the boat with Mina.

Good times!

Oh and got another bug. The credit real said Madison lived and the museum blew up, but she died in my playthrough and the bombs didn't go off :lol

Holy fuck that sounds awesome.

If you ally with G22 and let Mina die, can Sis be the one that shoots Scarlet?

Beat it on normal, skills in stealth mainly then sabotage and assault riffles. Really enjoyed it, and think the average score is way too unfair. Yes, it has flaws (some very frustrating bosses on my experience) and it looks and plays like it should've came out 3 years ago. The rpg aspects way more than make up for it though. It surprises me that not 6 months ago another game with about as much jank (Dragon Age) came out to almost universal acclaim. Anyways, I played though it straight and am looking forward to being an aggressive idiot and womanizer in a new play through.

Bebpo

Banned
Cep said:
Holy fuck that sounds awesome.

If you ally with G22 and let Mina die, can Sis be the one that shoots Scarlet?

Don't think so because on my first ending I allied with G22 and let Mina die and no one showed up when Scarlet was talking with Leland after shooting me. I had to talk my way out of it

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:
Don't think so because on my first ending I allied with G22 and let Mina die and no one showed up when Scarlet was talking with Leland after shooting me. I had to talk my way out of it

Damn, they really dropped the ball with G22.

Bebpo

Banned
Yeah
I would have liked an ending where A. They actually resolve Sis' story and B. You can choose to join G22 at the end.

I'd also really like a new game+ added where you keep some of your equipment and money. I mean what's the point of finding cash in the last are of the game since you can't use it? ^^; Maybe someone can make a mod that adds new game+, probably wouldn't be that hard if it just carried over money or items.

ArjanN

Cep said:
Sorry:

Male-Shep's voice is pretty bad.

Wrong, the voice actor is quite good actually. Shepard is just a more boring character than Mike. His dialogue just isn't as well-written.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Y2Kev said:
Couldn't take the drawl.

Thornton's facial animation is also muuuch better than MaleShep in both MEs. The encounter with Scarlet on the plane when Thornton says "Will dooooo" and blows his lips out in an O shape made me laugh so hard. I mean the only thing I could think of in Mass Effect was Shep's creepy "smile" when Garrus told him he had sex with some woman :lol

:lol

That and the dancing will never get old.

Cep said:
Damn, they really dropped the ball with G22.

Not even just with using the faction in the game, I mean Sis gives you her pendant which leads to Alby getting mad that she gave you her pedant which leads to nothing.
Game should have included a lot more of those two in the flesh, in fact it needed more of all the main characters in the flesh.

On a similar note I feel the game should of been much more generous with your choice of handler, fuck Mina! Would of been awesome to go through more missions with SIE/Alby on the mic, maybe even getting the perk of SIE or Sis running alongside you.

Cep

Banned
ArjanN said:
Wrong, the voice actor is quite good actually. Shepard is just a more boring character than Mike. His dialogue just isn't as well-written.

I agree that Shepard is a much more boring character than Thorton, but Mark Meer definately does not do him any service with his dull delivery and inability to properly emote.

Aedile

Bebpo said:
I think the Moscow Embassy mission is kind of bullshit and people are starting to notice it.

No matter what you do, it seems like you're always going to get blamed for MARINE DEATH. So even if you're playing a no kill run, Leland will hold that against you as do maybe others and it makes you feel "wtf I didn't kill anyone!?!".

If you talk to SIE, G22 attacks and blows up the place and kills marines.
If you talk to G22, SIE attacks and blows up the place and kills marines.

It's basically an unchangeable plot point that the embassy gets attacked and you get some blame for MARINE DEATH, boooo.

Is this the case if you talk your way past the marines and go in the front door?

Cep

Banned
Aedile said:
Is this the case if you talk your way past the marines and go in the front door?

I did this and I do not think that I was blamed for the death of the marines.

bathala

Banned
just got the game.

I'm going for stealth. Does the assault rifle later in the game gets a silencer?

anyone use Technical Aptitude? the Brilliance skill looks interesting

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Jesus Christ this
romance
subplot is ridiculous and worse than Miranda getting fucked in the engine room.

I JUST MET
St. James. I spoke to her for all of two minutes. She was NEUTRAL with me. Why would I save her? Why would I even care she died? I've been mowing down people left and right.
This is incredibly weak for a game with the characters being so strong thus far...

Can someone tell me how to get the
ending with aligning with no one? I have killed some people for an achievement and feel bad about it hoping I could get the ening I want but afraid I might have killed someone that might get me it.

Y2Kev said:
Jesus Christ this
romance
subplot is ridiculous and worse than Miranda getting fucked in the engine room.

I JUST MET
St. James. I spoke to her for all of two minutes. She was NEUTRAL with me. Why would I save her? Why would I even care she died? I've been mowing down people left and right.
This is incredibly weak for a game with the characters being so strong thus far...

Yep, the strength of this game is the dialogue, not its characterization. Most of the characters are spy movie archetypes. And the pacing and format of the game prevents you from getting attached to them.

Ugh. I hat to restart a stealth hard playthrough. It just got to frustratingly hard repeating checkponts over and over by the time I got to Moscow. Pistols just suck on hard level wu to dam much. I'll save my hard playthrough for veteren I guess.

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Yep, the strength of this game is the dialogue, not its characterization. Most of the characters are spy movie archetypes. And the pacing and format of the game prevents you from getting attached to them.

Or for letting the characters be more fleshed out in the first place. I do not blame Obsidian for the weak characterization, as the flow prevented something deeper. I do blame them for the extremely boring character of Madison (unless you piss her off of course).

With that said, Mina and Scarlet were at least Bioware level.

Never tried with Sie, but Madison is easily the worst of the lot.
I had no issues letting her die. Mina too.

daoster

So I dunno if this is a bug or just my game, but I can't use my abilities anymore? I restarted the game and am playing through Saudi Arabia, and for some reason, my radar ability doesn't want to work...

Anybody else encounter this? PC version BTW

Pooya

I'm really enjoying this, I followed Cep's advice and I'm switching between hubs every mission, missions are quite different from each other, much better than Mass Effect 2 where all of the missions were pretty much a corridor shooter.
Saudi part was very poor compared to the rest of game (parts that I've seen so far, not finished yet) , not only it looked extra ugly compared to rest of the game it was very boring too, it gave a really bad first impression, I think it will put off many people.

question about romance.
Do I have to choose only one? currently I'm flirting with both Mina and Scarlet, Can I get both? :lol

Defuser

miladesn said:
question about romance.
Do I have to choose only one? currently I'm flirting with both Mina and Scarlet, Can I get both? :lol
Even better...
There's a achievement/trophy if you sleep with all of them.

miladesn said:
I want eye-patch too , beard + eye-patch missed potential :(.

Is that possible to do in one play-through? I don't think so.

Yes, it is. None of them actually conflict with each other, you just have to be careful about flirting with one of them while another can hear you.

anthunit

Someone help me out on the last level please. I don't know whether or not to re-load to a previous save:

Anyone know how to save scarlet during the last level? It mentioned that she was being held somewhere in the facility and I read somewhere that I was going to be given a choice between saving her and Mina, but Mina is already dead and I'm outside the facility fighting a helicopter and there has not been any mention of Scarlet since the start of the mission. Did I mess things up by not trying to save Mina or by picking Sie as my handler?

anthunit said:
Someone help me out on the last level please. I don't know whether or not to re-load to a previous save:

Anyone know how to save scarlet during the last level? It mentioned that she was being held somewhere in the facility and I read somewhere that I was going to be given a choice between saving her and Mina, but Mina is already dead and I'm outside the facility fighting a helicopter and there has not been any mention of Scarlet since the start of the mission. Did I mess things up by not trying to save Mina or by picking Sie as my handler?

It has nothing to do with saving Mina, you can do both. You just missed the room she was in. It's the door to the side right after the room you get the option to talk to Parker or see Deng's message. If you miss it, the game checkpoints and locks the door so you can't go back.

anthunit

Basileus777 said:
It has nothing to do with saving Mina, you can do both. You just missed the room she was in. It's the door to the side right after the room you get the option to talk to Parker or see Deng's message. If you miss it, the game checkpoints and locks the door so you can't go back.

Damn, that kind of pisses me off. I hate check-point based save systems. Thanks for the help though.

Uncle AJ

Argggh my camera keeps stuttering and turning in random directions, really disorienting.... is this on console versions too or a PC only thing?

Bebpo

Banned
Mo the Hawk said:
Argggh my camera keeps stuttering and turning in random directions, really disorienting.... is this on console versions too or a PC only thing?

I've heard there are stuttering problems when trying to play with a mouse + keyboard on PC. I think most people here on PC are using X360 controllers.

Finished my first run playing my way, as in, a goody-goody sometimes smart ass, no kills, no detection run. I really liked it, but for as great as the branching paths and story is, I felt like a lot of things didn't get resolved at the end. The combat was neck chop a-hoy and it was inoffensive for it.

about Sis:
I kept waiting for something else to happen. I liked her character the most if only for the expression she gives when Michael spit hot fire at Albatross. Albatross was all "it's just something from her childhood, who cares?" and Michael pulls this crazy ass story about the history surrounding whats on the locket and she's all like "YES, OMG, SOMEONE FINALLY UNDERSTANDS ME!" It was expecting to have a choice where I'd find out more, maybe choose between her and the organization. In the end, she just shows up and cuts me free and I'm like "hey...you're leaving? I mean, I could kinda use some support to fight these guys. ok. no response. BE LIKE THAT."

Gonna play again as a violent psycho killer. My enemies will fear me as much as I fear having to use this game's shooting mechanics.

wait, is there more stuff after the credits? I clicked once and the credits stopped. My ending was
Mike and Mina riding off into the sunset on a boat.

Reading through this thread now and
how do you get Scarlet to shoot you? So far she has only been helpful to me. Do I just need to piss her off during the story or is her trigger elsewhere?

K.Sabot

I love how Alpha Protocol successfully recreates my father into a character, he even has the same last name! Gave me chills when I first saw him pop up.

Top Bottom