• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
If it helps, I've been going Moscow-> Taipei -> Rome doing one mission each. Don't remember what the exact mission order was though.

Cep

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Maybe Rome is the preferred first destination?

It is is not the hubs that you approach first that is important, it is the missions within them.

You do not have to do a hub all the way through.

And I would say that Teipei would probably be the one to approach first, specifically because of a particular G22 mission-related mission that should be done before another G22 related mission in Moscow.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Cep said:
And I would say that Teipei would probably be the one to approach first, specifically because of a particular G22 mission-related mission that should be done before another G22 related mission in Moscow.
It actually made more sense to me to do Moscow first.
In Taipei he was like, oh shit Mike why are you hacking my servers? And then Mike is like okay, I trust you because we did a bunch of missions together in Moscow so I will remove teh hack.

Cep

Banned
Stallion Free said:
It actually made more sense to me to do Moscow first.
In Taipei he was like, oh shit Mike why are you hacking my servers? And then Mike is like okay, I trust you because we did a bunch of missions together in Moscow so I will remove teh hack.

His introduction in Teipei is a lot more natural than his Moscow one.

Besides, if you want to continue bugging his server, the fact that you have not met gives you a greater justification.

Sloane

Banned
Y2Kev said:
Maybe Rome is the preferred first destination?
I did Rome -> Teipei -> Moscow on my first run. Haven't decided yet which order to do on my second. Teipei -> Moscow -> Rome sounds logical though.

duckroll

HK-47 said:
I wonder if they are planned on putting out any patches.

I think this depends largely on whether the game sells more than 50 copies or not. If it flops and there is no justification for Sega to continue supporting the game, then there will be no budget in place to patch the game or offer and enhancements. Obsidian cannot work for free.

Cep said:
His introduction in Teipei is a lot more natural than his Moscow one.

Besides, if you want to continue bugging his server, the fact that you have not met gives you a greater justification.

You can just bluff him and make him think you removed all the bugs anyway. Not that the bugs really give you any interesting information.

duckroll said:
I think this depends largely on whether the game sells more than 50 copies or not. If it flops and there is no justification for Sega to continue supporting the game, then there will be no budget in place to patch the game or offer and enhancements. Obsidian cannot work for free.

You have to wonder if Sega wants anything to do with Obsidian after the Aliens RPG and how this game is likely to sell. You aren't putting patches out with a publisher that doesn't care.

Cep

Banned
Basileus777 said:
You can just bluff him and make him think you removed all the bugs anyway. Not that the bugs really give you any interesting information.

I know,
I think it was something like Mike planted 6 bugs instead of the five he knows about

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
duckroll said:

Will wait
pray
for some fan patches.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Even that mess known as KotOR II got a few patches so I guess but I dont know how much to expect.

Jesus Christ what a piece of trash this is. I'm still in graybox area and lost any desire to continue. I was gonna throw away this shit but after reading last two pages, I think, I'll give it one more chance from beginning with easy difficulty. Can't force myself to play this turd on any other difficulty level.

_tetsuo_ said:
Will wait
pray
for some fan patches.

I don't know, few UE3 games have significant mod scenes. We're probably not going to see more than ini tweaks or texture swaps.

MirageDwarf said:
Jesus Christ what a piece of trash this is. I'm still in graybox area and lost any desire to continue. I was gonna throw away this shit but after reading last two pages, I think, I'll give it one more chance from beginning with easy difficulty. Can't force myself to play this turd on any other difficulty level.

I don't know if you'll end up liking it, but the beginning is the worst part of the game. The sections in graybox really highlight the games weakness in gameplay, especially at low levels.

Gestahl

MirageDwarf said:

Isn't that the tutorial?

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Bebpo said:
Ok, at some point can we make an AP bugs thread. Because if everyone is having experiences like me and what I've heard of duckroll's playthrough then we should get hundreds of hilarious bugs within 48 hours of the thread starting. :lol

Two more that I just encountered in the last hour

1. Fighting
Brayko
. Boss leaps down and becomes FROZEN. He just sits there. Awesome except it's impossible to do any damage so I have to restart the battle.

2. Teleportation. I was crawling across a wall with a window above (crawling below the window), I start crawling (back against wall) from the right side, take a step and a radio message comes in and I TELEPORT TO THE OTHER SIDE of the window. wtfff

sounds like a nightmare and I haven't had any bugs in my walkthrough. But now I know why some reviewers hated it

Spookie

duckroll said:

Well it's 4th on steam at the moment. Fingers crossed after a good Steam sale that will bump figures even higher.

Basileus777 said:
I don't know if you'll end up liking it, but the beginning is the worst part of the game. The sections in graybox really highlight the games weakness in gameplay, especially at low levels.

If you can't get through the start of the tutorial though, the game might not be suited for you.

Cep said:
I suppose they are, but I really love them (Especially the one at the end of Moscow).

The only one that I would beg as being truly putrid would be the one at the end of Teipei.

Yeah I went to Taipei first for my recruit run and that whole mission just hammered me from start to finish.

On the dossiers point, the only thing that's really annoying about them is that sometimes you'll go the clearing house before a talky mission and won't get the chance to actually read the intel you just purchased unless you leave the pre-mission screen and go back to the other intel menu. Not a major problem and you can avoid it if you remember about it, but it did annoy me a little.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
Spookie said:
Well it's 4th on steam at the moment. Fingers crossed after a good Steam sale that will bump figures even higher.

The most people playing at one time that Ive seen was 791 I think. I've been checking :(

duckroll

HK-47 said:
Even that mess known as KotOR II got a few patches so I guess but I dont know how much to expect.

KotOR II by no means sold poorly, nor was it something that Lucasarts wanted to release and forget about. The game was a mess because Lucasarts wanted to rush it out to meet forecasts or something. AP on the other hand..... I dunno....

Sloane

Banned
MirageDwarf said:
I'm still in graybox area and lost any desire to continue. I was gonna throw away this shit
So after 5 minutes of playing the tutorial you were going to throw away a game you've (hopefully) spent 30 to 50 bucks on? Okay then. :lol

duckroll said:
KotOR II by no means sold poorly, nor was it something that Lucasarts wanted to release and forget about. The game was a mess because Lucasarts wanted to rush it out to meet forecasts or something. AP on the other hand..... I dunno....
Yeah, I'm not expecting any patches either considering the game was supposedly done last fall and hasn't received any polish since then. If they wanted to fix the game, they could have done it easily by now.

Bebpo

Banned
Beat it. Took me 18 hours and I did a pretty much Saint run. No kills in gameplay or story scenes. Most missions were no alerts, total alerts were ~15. Everyone liked me. Good guys/bad guys; didn't matter. I was either "liked" or "trusted" with everyone. Made me feel good on the inside! :lol But it meant I had to choose between people at times which was kinda hard. Since I've seen how people act when they like you, I'm very curious to make everyone hate me next time around :p

One question I have regarding Sis:
Is there any way to focus the story on her tale and free her from the G22 agency? Because when you talk about the locket with Albatross it makes it seem like she doesn't want to be there but she can't do anything about it. Does letting Albatross die in the mansion mission accomplish that or something? I was best buds with Albatross the entire game.

The game reminded me of Fallout 2 more than any other rpg because of the strong feeling of roleplaying and all the ways you can react to the tale.

After one playthrough I'd put AP up there with Demon Souls as one of the games of the generation. Obsidian really blew everyone away (except the reviewers, unfortunately) with their first original IP. If this is indicative of what they can do when not working on someone else's franchse, I can't wait to see more original games from them. It also makes me want to check out their other titles ASAP.

Gonna start my 2nd run tomorrow!

For stats I did, Taipei -> Moscow -> Rome
Saved the crowd in Taipei, Let Madison die in Rome, didn't save Mina in endgame, Scarlett kills Leland and leaves

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:
Beat it. Took me 18 hours and I did a pretty much Saint run. No kills in gameplay or story scenes. Most missions were no alerts, total alerts were ~15. Everyone liked me. Good guys/bad guys; didn't matter. I was either "liked" or "trusted" with everyone. Made me feel good on the inside! :lol But it meant I had to choose between people at times which was kinda hard. Since I've seen how people act when they like you, I'm very curious to make everyone hate me next time around :p

One question I have regarding Sis:
Is there any way to focus the story on her tale and free her from the G22 agency? Because when you talk about the locket with Albatross it makes it seem like she doesn't want to be there but she can't do anything about it. Does letting Albatross die in the mansion mission accomplish that or something? I was best buds with Albatross the entire game.

The game reminded me of Fallout 2 more than any other rpg because of the strong feeling of roleplaying and all the ways you can react to the tale.

After one playthrough I'd put AP up there with Demon Souls as one of the games of the generation. Obsidian really blew everyone away (except the reviewers, unfortunately) with their first original IP. If this is indicative of what they can do when not working on someone else's franchse, I can't wait to see more original games from them. It also makes me want to check out their other titles ASAP.

Gonna start my 2nd run tomorrow!

For stats I did, Taipei -> Moscow -> Rome
Saved the crowd in Taipei, Let Madison die in Rome, didn't save Mina in endgame, Scarlett kills Leland and leaves

We did pretty much the same run.

Sis:
That is all you get (except for her rescuing you from the table).

Scarlett:
How did you manage to get her to do that?

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
Man some of the conversations in this game are more tense then big action sequences in other games.

The Gelatto house part had me freaking out, silly considering it's such a small silly scene, but still.

Bebpo

Banned
Cep said:
We did pretty much the same run.

Sis:
That is all you get (except for her rescuing you from the table).

Scarlett:

Kind of a shame, since Sis seems like an interesting character with a story. Wonder if they weren't able to finish her story branching.

For scarlett, I got the PDA that said she was the sniper in taipei but I didn't run into her in the endgame area. So when I met leland I arrested him to take him in to court and then suddenly out of nowhere I get shot in the chest and am half-dying and it's scarlett and leland wants her to finish me off and scarlett wants her money from leland and I let her know that leland is broke and has no money and she gets mad and shoots leland in the face, gives me the tape back, and then walks away and I never see her again.

Is there a way to have a happy ending with her in the end? Because it said in Red font that thornton tries to contact her afterwards but gets no reply, which makes it seem like you can do the opposite where they get together after the ending.

Spookie

Cep said:
Scarlett:

If you
don't rescue her I think she does that. It's not revealed she's the assassin till you meet her on the final mission

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
duckroll said:
I believe they did stop Obsidian from doing more patches after the intial 4 or so. Possibly cause the Xbox version couldnt be patched and that where most of the sales were. I know the Xbox version has bugs that were fixed on PC by official patches.

kiryogi

Banned
Alright. I'm seriously on the fence now especially now that I'm seeing more positive impressions. How does the 360 version run really? I could do PC but rather be on console if possible. IE I did Mass Effect 1/2 both on 360.

Peff

Bebpo said:
Is there a way to have a happy ending with her in the end? Because it said in Red font that thornton tries to contact her afterwards but gets no reply, which makes it seem like you can do the opposite where they get together after the ending.

I think so. I rescued her and that was when she told me about her being the assassin, so I forgave her and told her to come with me and she became my handler. Then I rescued Mina which probably changed what happened, since even though I still saw her a couple of times through the rest of the level Mike ended up going with Mina. So if you rescue her but not Mina I guess you get to sail off to the sunset with Scarlett.

EDIT: ^If Mass Effect 1 was fine you should have no problem with this.

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:
Kind of a shame, since Sis seems like an interesting character with a story. Wonder if they weren't able to finish her story branching.

For scarlett, I got the PDA that said she was the sniper in taipei but I didn't run into her in the endgame area. So when I met leland I arrested him to take him in to court and then suddenly out of nowhere I get shot in the chest and am half-dying and it's scarlett and leland wants her to finish me off and scarlett wants her money from leland and I let her know that leland is broke and has no money and she gets mad and shoots leland in the face, gives me the tape back, and then walks away and I never see her again.

She becomes you handler when you rescue her from the room and choose to keep her with you.

You have to let Mina die in order to keep her until the end though.

Also, what was your rep with her? I wonder if it is possible to get your scenario and be on good terms.

Bebpo

Banned
Cep said:
She becomes you handler when you rescue her from the room and choose to keep her with you.

You have to let Mina die in order to keep her until the end though.

Also, what was your rep with her? I wonder if it is possible to get your scenario and be on good terms.

10 :lol

Sloane

Banned
Sinatar said:
Man some of the conversations in this game are more tense then big action sequences in other games.

The Gelatto house part had me freaking out, silly considering it's such a small silly scene, but still.
Me too.
I was trying to act cool the whole time but in the very last second of the scene I totally freaked out and executed the guy instead of walking away. Don't know why exactly but it was so tense...
:lol

Cep

Banned
Sloane said:
Me too.
I was trying to act cool the whole time but in the very last second of the scene I totally freaked out and executed the guy instead of walking away. Don't know why exactly but it was so tense...

I love that scene.

So fucking good.

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
The Gelatto shop is a GREAT example of how diverse and interesting the writing in the game is. :D

Rome was just filled with all sorts of good moments.

It is easily the best hub.

I myself am pretty partial to the
Marburg
confrontation(s).

duckroll

Cep said:
Rome was just filled with all sorts of good moments.

It is easily the best hub.

I myself am pretty partial to the
Marburg
confrontation(s).

Bebpo feels that Rome is the weakest hub and the least interesting. On the other hand I found Taipei to be the weakest and most illogical, while Moscow and Rome were awesome. I think Alpha Protocol does a good job of having something for everyone while not trying too hard to please every sort of player in every hub. :)

Cep

Banned
duckroll said:
Bebpo feels that Rome is the weakest hub and the least interesting. On the other hand I found Taipei to be the weakest and most illogical, while Moscow and Rome were awesome. I think Alpha Protocol does a good job of having something for everyone while not trying too hard to please every sort of player in every hub. :)

That is a very good point.

Rome had my favorite character in it, so it is no surprise the I liked it the most.

Just finished the game. Can't wait for the inevitable flow chart to map out all the alternative routes/endings for me to YouTube, since I have very little interest in playing this game again. Maybe once more after a bit of a break because I didn't buy any intelligence, which apparently adds a lot.

I have to say, though, Alpha Protocol is the only game I've played where the choices throughout actually seem to matter. Silent Hill: Shattered Memories was a bit too subtle, and pretty much every other game--KotOR, Fallout, Mass Effect, Heavy Rain, and Indigo Prophecy, either have very obvious forks or decisions that really only affect the ending in a couple of ways. This makes me more interested to see the differences, but not enough to play through to see them, since the game itself isn't strong enough to me.

The game goes from infuriatingly clunky to a complete joke with no middle ground. If pistols allow me to take the final boss to a sliver of health with just one activated ability, with the rest of the health taken off in three shots without having to leave cover, I can only wonder what the other weapons can do.

EDIT: Watching some ending videos just now reminds me of one annoyance of the dialogue system. Sometimes, you have no idea what the options mean until it's pretty much too late.

subversus

Everyone who says that this is the only game where choices matter never played The Witcher.

Cep

Banned
subversus said:
Everyone who says that this is the only game where choices matter never played The Witcher.

I suppose...

To me, it has always been the nature of the choices that made The Witcher special.

subversus

MegaKungFuRadio said:
I played about 20 hours of it where choices didn't matter. Well, except one. Still, very binary.

It's strange because I made at least 4 choices that mattered and had consequences later in the game in my first 7 hours.

Souplak

Just finished the game. I went in to the game with really low expectations so I was really suprised by how fun it was.
The high points of the game was the conversationes and the characters. The characters were surprisingly colourful.

I hope the game sells well, I really want a sequal with less bugs.
I dont mind when some grunts just stand there not shooting back but when that happens during a bossfight that sort of takes the fun out of defeating them. This happend during
Al-Samad Lieutenant fight
Another strange bug happend during
the mission to bug the CIA listeningpost in Rome
, just when I got to the top floor an enemy spawned just next to me for no reason at all.
One other bug was when you go to the
US embassy
, after that mission it said that I killed marines when I did no such thing.
But overall this has been one of the better game this year for me dispite the bugs.

Man, doing a Asshole-AR run after my Stealth-non-lethal-melee run feels so liberating.

I just went to the CIA listening post, let's just say that Marburg wasn't too impressed by my approach.

Llyranor

Oh yeah, I forgot about this little gem.

Mike: Heck, do you copy?
Heck: Like a floppy!

I'm in the final area. Loving the game. Rome was my fav, really liked Taipei as well. Moscow didn't have as big an impact; I freaking shouldn't have watched those pre-release interactive trailers; spoiled too much for Moscow for me :(

I've surprisingly had almost zero bugs. The only one I've actually noticed is that sometimes the item prompts disappear on screen, so you can only see them when you get near. Fixed by reloading checkpoint. It's happened multiple times, but that's the only annoyance I can think of bug-wise.

Pooya

just finished Saudi Arabia, yeah I'm slow.

-I take back my previous comment that graphics are good enough, the game looks very bad and empty at least Saudi part , it's on par with Counter Strike IMO, but faces of main characters look a lot better.
-I like the voice acting, it's nothing like Mass Effect but it's still decent.
- I haven't unlocked many abilities yet but stealth abilities are pretty fun.
-I like to get behind the baddies and and knock the down by pressing B.
-Story isn't very interesting so far.
Is there any point in using the silencer on pistol? it seems it disables the critical hits.

Top Bottom