• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Bebpo

Banned
Wow, anyone who doesn't care about their rep with Mina should do a full kill run through the CIA listening post. It's :lol

Regardless of if this game is GoTY, I'm pretty damn sure it's Comedy of the Year. I can't think of a game that I've played where I've laughed so much.

And the conversation about Mike's name in Rome safehouse is lolololol.

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:
Wow, anyone who doesn't care about their rep with Mina should do a full kill run through the CIA listening post. It's :lol

Regardless of if this game is GoTY, I'm pretty damn sure it's Comedy of the Year. I can't think of a game that I've played where I've laughed so much.

Yeah, some of the lines are just pure gold.

Pooya

Bebpo said:
that it is.
the dog/girl conversation with
Brayko
was so....
:lol :lol :lol :lol

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
I like the first conversation with Scarlet.
The one in the plane. She says that there's something she'd written or done in this mag (I don't remember what she said exactly but the point is that the result of her efforts is in the magazine). Thorton opens the mag, sees half of the double-bage spread ad with the girl in it and asks Scralet if you go suave: "Is it your legs?" :D

kiryogi

Banned
Oh dammit I wish I went thru as a recruit now. Sounds like Veteran has some pretty interesting choices you can make. Looks like I'll be playing this game at least 3 times now :lol D:

kiryogi said:
Oh dammit I wish I went thru as a recruit now. Sounds like Veteran has some pretty interesting choices you can make. Looks like I'll be playing this game at least 3 times now :lol D:

Veteran doesn't really give you much more than the extra skill points. You have a bunch of veteran dialogue options in the graybox and then a few (not many) scattered around the rest of the game.

Yeah I agree the rewards for being stealthy were cool, and it really did feel like a powerful skill, probably too much so.

But I guess the actual stealth gameplay didn't feel rewarding enough. If that makes any sense. I guess that it is just inevitable in a skill based game, but it bothers me that I can stand in the middle of a small room with 5 bodies around me, slashing at the air in front of the last guy who still hasn't moved for the last 30 seconds. It really did feel like easy mode with a full stealth build.

I have to say I love Heck the most probably. I was expecting to treat him like an asshole after reading his dossier, but that first scene was just gold :)

kiryogi

Banned
Basileus777 said:
Veteran doesn't really give you much more than the extra skill points. You have a bunch of veteran dialogue options in the graybox and then a few (not many) scattered around the rest of the game.

? I thought it gave some choices that let you pursue two things at once or something? Maybe not D:

Zaphyr

Neo Member
kiryogi said:
? I thought it gave some choices that let you pursue two things at once or something? Maybe not D:

In the Brayko mission I got to get the halbech data from the vault AND save my ally from Brayko because I chose the 'veteran' option.

kiryogi

Banned
Zaphyr said:
In the Brayko mission I got to get the halbech data from the vault AND save my ally from Brayko because I chose the 'veteran' option.

Yeah, I heard that so I was excited at what the other possibilities are.
Like maybe being able to save the president and stop the riot in Taipei? Thought I imagine the Madison decision remains the same

Zaphyr

Neo Member
kiryogi said:
Yeah, I heard that so I was excited at what the other possibilities are.
Like maybe being able to save the president and stop the riot in Taipei? Thought I imagine the Madison decision remains the same

Madison decision does remain the same. Too much of a plot point I suppose.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Bebpo said:
I'm pretty damn sure it's Comedy of the Year.

It is unclear how Thorton escaped the medical area, as he encrypted the video to his PDA. To date Thorton has watched the video 147 times.

Honestly I don't know how people are playing this other than as a stealth type of game. The only thing that's making the gameplay any good after the first few hours is the stealth element. I couldn't imagine just blasting through everyone because the gunplay is so awful.

The game is becoming something of a chore, but the interesting story choices are keeping me going. In terms of characters I prefer the entire ME2 cast to pretty much anyone here other than maybe Thornton, and I'll take Dragons Age's primary characters (Morrigan, Allistair) as well.

As far as taking things from AP to improve Biowares next games I really like the on your feet decision making, and having to actually consider conversations and read characters to form positive relationships.

I'm still having fun with the game, and think that overall the idea was incredible. I'd love to see another attempt at a Spy roleplaying game, but the on the ground mechanics have to be a lot better. If we could just get Splinter Cell like gameplay on the ground combined with the dialogue and roleplaying elements of AP we'd have a great game.

kai3345

Banned
Just finished Rome, I literally sat there for at least 5 minutes thinking of my choice for the big decision.
I ended up saving Madison, who then dumped me. Stupid bitch

The response from critics and whatnot is more surprising given what other games they fawn over. Considering most games are at worst given average marks, AP getting so trashed was unexpected. Personally I enjoyed it more than some of the bigger games this year.

Bebpo said:

this is true

the way characters threat you when they hate you are just as good. The best is in the Rome safehouse where going to talk to the girl is just:

Her: ...Asshole
Michael: ...Bitch

And Heck. Heck is gold.

The mission in taipei where you walk
in that sludge has interesting results too. When I played it as a good guy, Mina was all helpful and slightly joking. When she hated me, she said something like "not enough, I hope" when Mike asked about how many diseases he would get. :lol

Cep

Banned
Heck: Do you want a hot distraction or a loud distraction?
Scarlet:
What's the difference?
Heck: Hot distractions have more fire
Mike: Aggressive
Heck: Alright Mike, Maximum Carnage it is.

Heck is definitely a hoot.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Dark FaZe said:
Honestly I don't know how people are playing this other than as a stealth type of game. The only thing that's making the gameplay any good after the first few hours is the stealth element. I couldn't imagine just blasting through everyone because the gunplay is so awful.

The game is becoming something of a chore, but the interesting story choices are keeping me going. In terms of characters I prefer the entire ME2 cast to pretty much anyone here other than maybe Thornton, and I'll take Dragons Age's primary characters (Morrigan, Allistair) as well.

As far as taking things from AP to improve Biowares next games I really like the on your feet decision making, and having to actually consider conversations and read characters to form positive relationships.

I'm still having fun with the game, and think that overall the idea was incredible. I'd love to see another attempt at a Spy roleplaying game, but the on the ground mechanics have to be a lot better. If we could just get Splinter Cell like gameplay on the ground combined with the dialogue and roleplaying elements of AP we'd have a great game.

Well it isnt a party based game so you arent gonna know the characters as well. They dont seem any more or less archetypal than most Bioware characters outside of the rare Mordin or Alistar. So far this game hasnt had many superfluous characters like Bioware usually does. Obsidian has been improving on this since the bloated cast of NWN 2. I also like that these characters stick out do to personality, not backstory and their traumatic past. It reminds me a bit of Valve's approach to characters, which emphasizes dialogue, expressiveness and personality in establishing characters.

And trust me, I've been waiting for Obsidian to improve their polish and base mechanics. but I've played so many good RPGs that arent polished worth a shit and have to be fan patched that I really dont care anymore. I'll just revivist it 3-4 years down the road when it gets modded like most other games in its genre.

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:
Well it isnt a party based game so you arent gonna know the characters as well. They dont seem any more on less archetypal than most Bioware characters outside of the rare Mordin or Alistar. So far this game hasnt had many superfluous characters like Bioware usually does. Obsidian has been improving on this since the bloated cast of NWN 2. I also like that these characters stick out do to personality, not backstory and their traumatic past. It reminds me a bit of Valve's approach to characters, which emphasizes dialogue, expressiveness and personality in establishing characters.

Those two are quite possibly the best Bioware has to produce (Outside of maybe BG2, which I have not played).

And trust me, I've been waiting for Obsidian to improve their polish and base mechanics. but I've played so many good RPGs that arent polished worth a shit and have to be fan patched that I really dont care anymore. I'll just revivist it 3-4 years down the road when it gets modded like most other games in its genre.

Just as long as you are not expecting anything fancy (Unreal Engine 3 and all).

Llyranor

mujun said:
It's probably a pretty divisive game reviews wise.
Hahaha http://free-pc-guides.com/games/dif...vs-us-reviews-whos-right-and-whos-wrong-01928
Many of you have probably noticed how many radically different Alpha Protocol reviews are out there, both in terms of overall scores but also regarding the appreciated/criticized elements. If you take a closer look at these articles (online or written) you will observe that two trends exist: one that consists of bashing almost all the game’s components, and another one that appreciates the game as a blend that’s ultimately better than the sum of its parts. While both currents identify almost the same issues (mostly graphics and AI departments) the first review category finds these issues “game breaking”, while the latter views them only as some flaws that could have been avoided, but don’t damage the entire gaming experience.

The existence of the two very oposite trends didn’t initially intrigue me too much but, after putting the pieces together, I’ve realized that the “negative” one is emphasized almost exclusively within the US reviews, while the “positive” trend is made out almost entirely out of European Alpha Protocol reviews.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Cep said:
Have you seen the RPGs that come out of East Europe? They sort of have to be more forgiving.

You want a flawed gem or polished stone? Frankly I like the Euro devs a lot more. Especially the Russians.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
HK-47 said:
You want a flawed gem or polished stone? Frankly I like the Euro devs a lot more. Especially the Russians.
Depends, how am I feeling?

Also, "flawed gem" is pretty generous for AP. IMO.

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:

I want a polished Gem.

I too like Europeans devs more, but I am under no illusions when it comes to the quality of their work.

D2M15 said:
euros like talking and yanks like shooting derp derp

I like doing both in equal measure.

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
Tears For Fears said:
Sie is the sexiest woman ingaming hands down. End scene with here was BADASS.

Also
"Michael, can you please hurry up and kill your friend."

I'd high-five you if I wasn't tied down. Great character/costume design for the ladies overall, though I wish Scarlet had kept her Iron Maiden tee from the concept art (but that was never going to happen.)

Also I want to be
Omen Deng
when I grow up.

Cep

Banned
HK-47 said:
Geez are you a flip flopper.

No, I find myself to be pretty consistent.

I think that AP is a broken mess in most ways not directly tied to the Dialogue/Writing.

I very much enjoy these, so I personally like the game very much.

When I attempt some level of objectivity however...

Sloane

Banned
Cep said:
Have you seen the RPGs that come out of East Europe? They sort of have to be more forgiving.
Why would German / Spanish / French / UK magazines care about games that come out of East Europe? And what exactly does Alpha Protocol have to do with those? :lol

HK-47 said:
Sounds like Bloodlines/Arcanum too me!
actually both those games were better made than AP, even with all the bugs; even the writting left me disapointed, but at least the writers noticed what they were doing wrong, that's why there's so many hilarious shit throw in

AP is weird as a game, sometimes is pretty fun other times is dreadfully boring. I think had they gone with dice rolls for the aiming and not a cone of randomness, that would have helped

legbone

Tears For Fears said:
Sie is the sexiest woman in-gaming hands down. End scene with her was BADASS.

i too think SIE is amazing. i am waiting for a price drop but i am so tempted to go get the game just so i can start working towards bedding her.

legbone said:
i too think SIE is amazing. i am waiting for a price drop but i am so tempted to go get the game just so i can start working towards bedding her.
SIE is awesome, too bad I didn't get to interact with her more. I'm nearly complete on my first playthrough (Rookie on normal, specializing in Assault Rifles, Toughness and Martial Arts).

I made a few choices that resulted in both SIE and Sis barely being present in my playthrough.
I chose Albatross over SIE as my handler when I went looking for Surkov at the Embassy. Then I didn't do the boat mission soon enough to meet SIs and I lost the option for run the mission entirely.

This resulted in me getting angry email from SIE after I
saved Madison
. And Sis
came out of nowhere to rescue me from the lab table in Alpha Protocol HQ
, that was the first time I saw her in my entire game.

Like others have said, AP is a diamond in the rough. It's a shame that many US reviewers have given it low scores. Now I need to finish the endgame and begin my Veteran run!

Prime crotch said:
not even out-of-the-box STALKER was as rough as AP turned out
Eeeeeeeeh that's a bit of a stretch. I mean the shooting kinda sucked in that one too until you got a decent weapon (and even then if you hit anywhere besides the head your shots would have basically no effect). And then you had the quest system, and the degradation not working properly, broken missions and a lot more crashes.

I've kind of tired of this game. It's probably because I played it so much in such a short space of time but once the strengths of the game lose their shine it really does get pretty mediocre. Not that I haven't enjoyed the time I spent with it, it was certainly top-tier in the writing stakes which is important to me. But the gameplay is ultimately just too full of bugs, glitches and downright stupid design-choices, like high-level Shadow Operative being absurdly overpowered so that they didn't need to find a more interesting way to make stealth viable in the end-game.

This might seem pretty harsh, but earlier in this thread I likened AP to Deus Ex. On a more sober evaluation I'd say it's closer to Invisible War in most areas.

Top Bottom