• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Cep

Banned
_tetsuo_ said:
And the bad AI is making it very difficult to pass this mission. In Moscow and
I'm trying to escape with Surkov and G22 is outside in force. Surkov goes to one cover spot anddoes not move, and never drop back into cover. SOhe just runs out, goes to cover, gets in a shooting posistion behind cover and gets riddled with bullets everytime.
Terrible that I forgot to stack up on items before I left for the mission :(

And it is in this mission that the absolutely broken stealth skill line shows how broken it can be.

I did that last part by (ab)using stealth take downs.

dionysus

Yaldog
_tetsuo_ said:
I'm trying to escape with Surkov and G22 is outside in force. Surkov goes to one cover spot anddoes not move, and never drop back into cover. SOhe just runs out, goes to cover, gets in a shooting posistion behind cover and gets riddled with bullets everytime.

You need to make yourself a target and be a bullet sponge, don't stay behind cover. I sprinted around a meleed everyone. It took me no longer than 20 seconds and I didn't lose much health. Was really easy.

Cep

Banned
dionysus said:
You need to make yourself a target and be a bullet sponge, don't stay behind cover. I sprinted around a meleed everyone. It took me no longer than 20 seconds and I didn't lose much health. Was really easy.

Depends on the build, difficulty, and armor.

Some cannot do this (my character had starter armor for the entire game and he would not have been able to survive such an encounter)

dionysus

Yaldog
Cep said:
Depends on the build, difficulty, and armor.

Some cannot do this (my character had starter armor for the entire game and he would not have been able to survive such an encounter)

I did it with starter armor, no points in toughness, and 1 armor accessory on normal difficulty.

_tetsuo_ said:
Are you playing a lethal run?
If you bought all the intel there will be a sniper-rifle on the roof behind Surkov. Just go out the way you come in if you're avoiding the front door and you can't miss it.

mujun

ArjanN said:
Partially. It's also because PC gaming is much bigger in Europe.

True. C64 was my gaming machine of choice for a hell of a long time. There was a lot of busted shit to deal with but those were good times :D

Bebpo

Banned
Cep said:
And it is in this mission that the absolutely broken stealth skill line shows how broken it can be.

I did that last part by (ab)using stealth take downs.

I did that part with tranq chain shots and punching guys in the face.

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:
I did that part with tranq chain shots and punching guys in the face.

Oh yeah, Chain shot is even more broken than Shadow Agent.

The only thing is that I did not really bother with chain-shot (or my pistol for that matter) until the my third hub, so I did not yet know how broken it was at the time.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
Bebpo said:
Chain shot is broken for bosses. For normal fights, the cooldown makes it fair.

Yeah. I murdered
Westridge
with Chain Shot (maxed out) in one use of it.

Cep

Banned
Bebpo said:
Chain shot is broken for bosses. For normal fights, the cooldown makes it fair.

Use brilliance and fairness again goes out the window.

Some upgrades and perks for cooldowns also go a long way.

Yeah you can definitely put me in the stealth gameplay is atrocious camp. I can't bring myself to do more than one or two missions in a row now because it bores me to tears. It's not even just the SO skill. When you have enough points in stealth + Stealth armor+ camo you can easily take down any guard by creeping up beside them.

I also don't get the praise for the actual RPG elements by most people. The skill layout is boring as hell, with each path getting one big skill and then a couple of smaller/innate abilities. I guess I went in expecting too much.

Cep

Banned
BudokaiMR2 said:
Yeah you can definitely put me in the stealth gameplay is atrocious camp. I can't bring myself to do more than one or two missions in a row now because it bores me to tears. It's not even just the SO skill. When you have enough points in stealth + Stealth armor+ camo you can easily take down any guard by creeping up beside them.

I also don't get the praise for the actual RPG elements by most people. The skill layout is boring as hell, with each path getting one big skill and then a couple of smaller/innate abilities. I guess I went in expecting too much.

In terms of RPG elements, I went in expecting Mass Effect 1, and it was more or less what I got.

-tetsuo-

Unlimited Capacity
dionysus said:

Ya, I'm playing on hard so I cant take much more than 3 or 4 shots because I am wearing all the stuff I got from the jump. I got through it though. Flame rounds on my shotgun plus a couple baddies dropped incindiery grenades. Overclock + any grenade is mega death.

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
Prime crotch said:
actually both those games were better made than AP, even with all the bugs; even the writting left me disapointed, but at least the writers noticed what they were doing wrong, that's why there's so many hilarious shit throw in

AP is weird as a game, sometimes is pretty fun other times is dreadfully boring. I think had they gone with dice rolls for the aiming and not a cone of randomness, that would have helped

So very much like Bloodlines and your precious Arcanum, which is still janky as hell to this day and dreadfully boring in parts. But still very much worth playing.

Its clear is was suppose to be a standard spy story with a lot of wit thrown in from some talented writers. So what did they do wrong?

HK-47

Oh, bitch bitch bitch.
BudokaiMR2 said:

I think thats cause dialogue systems are also part of RPGs. There's the story and then the stats if you wanna really simplify the WRPG. Thats seems to be the two major things people go into WRPG for anyways.

I need some help in the endgame:
How do I kill Alan Parker? I killed all the soldiers and turrents in the server room, but Parker is behind bullet proof glass and has a steel door. The bomb clock is ticking down.

UPDATE: Figured out and completed the objective with 10 seconds to spare. Whew... so close.:lol

HK-47 said:
I think thats cause dialogue systems are also part of RPGs. There's the story and then the stats if you wanna really simplify the WRPG. Thats seems to be the two major things people go into WRPG for anyways.

Yeah and I do agree that the dialogue/choice system is very well done and one of the more interesting things I have seen in any RPG in a while. No problems in that department really.

I was mostly just talking about the RPG elements in the combat system.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The more I play this game the more I like it. I am really enjoying my current playthrough (second run). This game works surprisingly well as a cover-based shooter when you specialize in assault rifles. I'm at lvl 10 now with ARs maxed as high as they can go and I can easily take out enemies from quite far away without waiting for the critical crosshairs.

I continue to be impressed by how much the dialogue exchanges change depending on your decisions and what order you do them in. That is probably the biggest draw for me at the moment. I will definitely be plaything through again as a Veteran and mixing up the order in which I do the hubs as well as choosing different allies.

I am having a ton of fun just blazing through missions and murdering everyone I see without caring about alarms. The game definitely progresses at a much brisker pace this way.

Bebpo

Banned
Had my first crash in Rome

Chose the madison side in the museum so I could shoot her in the face when the elevator opened with the guy holding her hostage (we were on bad terms) and when I shot her the screen started to fade to black and then the game crashed >_< I'm guessing it doesn't let you kill her? That kind of sucks, I guess I'll just load my last save pre-choice and leave her to die in that case.

I'm still not really sure how to use the AR because it only fires in small bursts, but my shotgun has become extremely viable and I'm doing all my missions shotgun only and doing fine mainly. Though I do throw out some fire grenades sometimes because watching a bunch of guys dance around on fire is pretty hilarious.

I'm trying really really hard to like this game but it is almost like it doesn't want me to.

Has Thornton shot a gun before? It sure doesn't seem like it. I understand the RPG mechanics but shooting someone shouldn't be so fucking difficult from the start. When I line that dot up over some guys head and have to wait, what is it, at least 10 seconds for the fucking cross hairs to tighten, it takes me out of the game real fast.

Or worse when I say "fuck it" and just shoot the fucker and blow over half a clip before he FINALLY goes down despite the fact that I was aiming RIGHT AT HIS HEAD.

I know, I get it, it's an RPG and you level up and get better. But no ones this bloody miserable with a gun. Some concessions have to be made for the sake of gameplay and having fun.

Ugh. That's all I really have to say about it right now. I've only dropped about 2 or 3 hours in it thus far and I'm trying to go the stealthy - pistol whipping route but the game is making it hard for me to pull that off. There are a number of things this game has going for it, but none of that shows up when I'm trying to slink around the map and kill bitches.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
HK-47 said:
So very much like Bloodlines and your precious Arcanum, which is still janky as hell to this day and dreadfully boring in parts. But still very much worth playing.

Its clear is was suppose to be a standard spy story with a lot of wit thrown in from some talented writers. So what did they do wrong?

No parts of Bloodlines are boring in any way

subversus said:
No parts of Bloodlines are boring in any way

What about walking across those planks over the 'death water' on your way to meet George? There's 10 seconds of my life I want back.

Graveyard gun challenge

kiryogi

Banned
Bebpo said:

Chose the madison side in the museum so I could shoot her in the face when the elevator opened with the guy holding her hostage (we were on bad terms) and when I shot her the screen started to fade to black and then the game crashed >_< I'm guessing it doesn't let you kill her? That kind of sucks, I guess I'll just load my last save pre-choice and leave her to die in that case.

I'm still not really sure how to use the AR because it only fires in small bursts, but my shotgun has become extremely viable and I'm doing all my missions shotgun only and doing fine mainly. Though I do throw out some fire grenades sometimes because watching a bunch of guys dance around on fire is pretty hilarious.

That black screen should have been a gameover not a crash. :lol I got it by accident to say the least about that situation.

Bebpo

Banned
Btw, I think it's lame that there are actually game overs (besides when you get killed). The game makes it through 95% of it where it's impossible to get a game over. If you don't do something, it just changes the narrative. So the 2/3 parts in the game where you can actually get a "game over, you did this wrong" part really takes you out and feels like a cop out.

should've had a 3rd story branch where you go to save madison and she dies anyway. It's not like it would have affected much besides changing a couple of dialogues

bathala

Banned
wat really pisses me off, boss battle where they are not suppose to die yet until u trigger this part.
fucking wasted my ammo on
Omen Dang
on the construction area

So I beat the game today and I liked it. Its not perfect ,but not as bad as some reviewers made it sound. I never found the combat to be that bad. Yeah it's very noticeable that they got "rpg in my shooter" ,but hey it is a rpg and it really never got on my nerves. I'm not a mechanics kind of guy and I tend to play games in the most simple way possible. Basically, I'm a solider in ME and I'm guns blazing in AP. I used only AR and while I could tell when I didn't but should have hit my targets, it never ruined the game for me. Combat was fine and honestly better then ME1 to me. The ai while stupid was not as dumb or as frustrating as ME1, where it seemed all they did was rush and spam you. So basically the combat was fine for me with the build I chose.

As for story and characters. I like how my choices effect the game. You really feel like you can impact things, something ME doesn't really do for me. If I chose to kill of Ashley in ME1, it doesn't effect the plot outside of a little bit of different dialogue.Something like that in AP will effect how things play out in the story, how other characters address me, how people relate to me, and how missions play out. Its really cool ,but I feel like characters in AP aren't as fleshed out as those in ME. I would have liked a lot of side missions where I just help out the other characters in some side stuff. Get to actually know them , because since most of them are tide to one area of the game they feel almost pointless. Its not like side missions wouldn't work in the context of the story. Just say Thorton does it for extra money or something.

Really liked the game and will probably hit up on some multiple playthrpughs.

Bloodlines combat actually payed off at the end when you're such a powered up vampire that no swat cop can stop your crazed revenge
HK-47 said:
only if the standards are a poorly laid out plot.
edit:maybe "poorly laid out" is too harsh, but the straightfoward plot is definitely the most uninteresting aspect of the game

Bebpo said:

Yeah honestly my biggest pet peeve with the AR is that it for some reason only has the burst firing mode.

Ricker

I`m still in Moscow and saving/helping everyone,except that guy in the bar :lol ... I dropped down a few notches in Mina`s book because I went with Sie and well other stuff I wont mention in case of spoilers...that part of the game is awesome,what I don`t like is,again,the hacking stuff,moreso because even if you go full stealth,if you miss one of these,and some you have to do,an alarm goes off and that`s it,everyone is alerted for the rest of the level and there`s no way to really hide and wait it out,for the guys to stop being red and come after you...so the hell with that,i`ll respec,take away the 5 or 6 upgrade I put in stealth and put those either in Pistol/assault riffle or Martial arts(the melee stuff prevented many deaths for me so far).

Ricker said:
I`m still in Moscow and saving/helping everyone,except that guy in the bar :lol ... I dropped down a few notches in Mina`s book because I went with Sie and well other stuff I wont mention in case of spoilers...that part of the game is awesome,what I don`t like is,again,the hacking stuff,moreso because even if you go full stealth,if you miss one of these,and some you have to do,an alarm goes off and that`s it,everyone is alerted for the rest of the level and there`s no way to really hide and wait it out,for the guys to stop being red and come after you...so the hell with that,i`ll respec,take away the 5 or 6 upgrade I put in stealth and put those either in Pistol/assault riffle or Martial arts(the melee stuff prevented many deaths for me so far).

You can still easily take out an entire room full of alerted guys if you are a stealth spec. Find a decent out of sight hiding spot(they can even still be firing on you, as long as they don't have line of sight i believe) and activate Shadow Operative. Commence god mode throat slitting.

Nickiepoo

Personally I maxed stealth then went 50/50 toughness and Rifles. Never had a problem in firefights even without using stealth skills and subsonic bullets make it a stealth option at long range.

Also, I see people bemoaning their lack of 'stocking up' before missions which I find strange since, playing on medium, I didn't use a single health pack or hardly a single grenade for the whole game.

Nickiepoo said:
Personally I maxed stealth then went 50/50 toughness and Rifles. Never had a problem in firefights even without using stealth skills and subsonic bullets make it a stealth option at long range.

Also, I see people bemoaning their lack of 'stocking up' before missions which I find strange since, playing on medium, I didn't use a single health pack or hardly a single grenade for the whole game.

Well I could see it annoying if you were a tech guy and had to constantly buy more and more grenades, etc. I also didn't have that problem.

Alright so I bought this game on the basis that it's a stealth RPG type game. I like the dialog system so far, but not much else. I've been skimming over this thread and a lot of people seem to be saying that the enjoyment comes from understanding the mechanics. Is there anywhere I can read up on said mechanics, because so far, I've been trying to play it as I would other stealth game and it's clearly not working. I've put points into stealth and martial arts and I haven't even gotten past the first Saudi mission (
the bug one
), I just face too many problems.

Some problems I have so far:
-Horrendous use of DOF, it blurs the person I'm trying to aim at, namely the dude in the tower with the machine gun
-I'm guessing the range on the pistol sucks without putting points into it?
-Silenced pistol + shooting a guy all day long where only some of my shots are hitting doesn't alert him or anyone else
-Leaving cover to move into cover closer to the enemy I'm trying to take down alerts them even when they are walking away from me and I'm crouching towards the cover very slowly
-If I take down someone using martial arts (aka quietly), other enemies get alerted sometimes

Despite all of this, I really want to like this game. I just have this urge to play it and hope something clicks but it doesn't. So I guess my question is:

What do I put points in so that I can play this game as a stealth game and how do I play it so? Taking down enemies without alerting others, bypassing enemies and all of that other good stealthy stuff.

duckroll

Put all your points into Stealth and Pistols, and the rest into Sabotage. This will allow you to use EMP to basically skip all the minigames (and doing them really quickly when you need to), while also remaining very hard to see (or totally invisible if you want to use Shadow Operative). Pistol skills will allow you to take out enemies silently and accurately as well.

Top Bottom