• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Tokubetsu

DennisK4 said:
I am assuming all this is on the Normal diffculty setting?

My first time playing I did normal recruit and the first area/a bit of the second area were really rough simply because you start with nothing.

Fredescu

piratepwnsninja said:
So I am getting ready to start playing this and was wondering if the 1.1 patch on PC actually does anything. Anyone know?
It's supposed to fix some "technical issues". It specifically mentioned activation which excited me because my game would constantly deactivate itself. This is a common problem with the retail pc version. I believe the Steam versions are ok. I had to have a notepad on my desktop with my CD key in it because I was constantly reactivating.

Having said that I can't get the 1.1 patch to work. It's basically a replaced APGame.exe, but it just crashes if I try to launch it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fredescu said:
It's supposed to fix some "technical issues". It specifically mentioned activation which excited me because my game would constantly deactivate itself. This is a common problem with the retail pc version. I believe the Steam versions are ok. I had to have a notepad on my desktop with my CD key in it because I was constantly reactivating.

Having said that I can't get the 1.1 patch to work. It's basically a replaced APGame.exe, but it just crashes if I try to launch it.
I had no activation issues on the Steam version, just put the CD-key in once.

Fredescu said:

I read somewhere that it only works with the US version of the game. That being said, Applying the 1.1 patch before ever launching the game seems to remove the activation entirely, as I was never asked to put in my key and was playing.

Kyouji

Haman Discharged... she smells nice
John said:
So. Marburg in Rome with a stealth build. Even possible?

I beat him with a Martial Arts build. :lol

Suck it up, bro, and use the Pistol Chain to the head advice Seda gave you.

John

Seda said:
Pistol chain shot to the head.

You can leave and go to another locale if you need training.
Oh, good. I'll do that then. I've been speccing pretty much just stealth and technical aptitude, with just a couple in pistols, assault rifles, and melee.

Seda

John said:
Oh, good. I'll do that then. I've been speccing pretty much just stealth and technical aptitude, with just a couple in pistols, assault rifles, and melee.

My first time through, I played on the hard difficulty as a recruit (or whatever the"class" was that didn't start out with any ability points).

Not smart.

But beating the game on recruit unlocks the "veteran" mode, which starts your character off with many skill points. Much easier to be a more balanced spy.

Lard said:
Is this game as buggy as New Vegas?

Naturally.

TBH, I never had any major glitches through 5 or so playthroughs other than some stupid enemy AI.

Tokubetsu

Seda said:
My first time through, I played on the hard difficulty as a recruit (or whatever the"class" was that didn't start out with any ability points).

Not smart.

But beating the game on recruit unlocks the "veteran" mode, which starts your character off with many skill points. Much easier to be a more balanced spy.

Naturally.

TBH, I never had any major glitches through 5 or so playthroughs other than some stupid enemy AI.

Been awhile since I played through this but I'm having way more trouble with New Vegas so far. To be fair though, every engine is better than fucking Gamebryo.

RustyO

Curious about this... think I may pick up a copy on the cheap.

Without reading the rest of the thread, should I go for 360 or PS3? (Pref is PS3)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
RustyO said:

Without reading the rest of the thread, should I go for 360 or PS3? (Pref is PS3)

PC 360

jcm

RustyO said:

360 version is better, but the PS3 version is fine too. I'd buy whichever is cheaper, personally.

RustyO

subversus said:

jcm said:
360 version is better, but the PS3 version is fine too. I'd buy whichever is cheaper, personally.

Thanks for the replies. :D

There's not much difference for either 360/PS3 locally on the bay, so I'll see what takes my fancy when I go to grab it.

I'll give the thread a decent read later on.

John

alright, i give up. i can play each area until i get to a boss, then i'm fucked. there is no possibility of me moving on and i'm not wasting any more of my time. i'd have thought that chris avellone of all people would implement decent balancing.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
John said:
alright, i give up. i can play each area until i get to a boss, then i'm fucked. there is no possibility of me moving on and i'm not wasting any more of my time. i'd have thought that chris avellone of all people would implement decent balancing.
You must have an incredibly shit char build if you have completed every quest up to the boss in each area and still can't beat the boss.

Bebpo

Banned
CaptYamato said:
Just picked up for cheap. So far this game is boss. I'm trying to go through it really stealthy. I'm a sucker for not killing people.

Yeah, it's the most underrated rpg I've ever played. I loved almost every minute of it and plan to replay it every few years to relive the experience. I mean I enjoyed Fallout NV a lot, but to me AP was the best Obsidian game of 2010.

The thing about the game is it's designed to only be a great game if you play it a very, very specific way (aka, like MGS). Since that's exactly how I play these games (no alerts, no kills, avoid all combat, put everything into stealth and pistol) the game worked perfect for me the whole way and was just a lot of fun. Sure the stealth was kind of brokenly easy with invisibility, but I never STOP having fun with a game simply because it's letting me be too awesome.

I can see how if you play the game shooting things it can feel like a really crappy TPS though.

Bebpo said:
Yeah, it's the most underrated rpg I've ever played. I loved almost every minute of it and plan to replay it every few years to relive the experience. I mean I enjoyed Fallout NV a lot, but to me AP was the best Obsidian game of 2010.

The thing about the game is it's designed to only be a great game if you play it a very, very specific way (aka, like MGS). Since that's exactly how I play these games (no alerts, no kills, avoid all combat, put everything into stealth and pistol) the game worked perfect for me the whole way and was just a lot of fun. Sure the stealth was kind of brokenly easy with invisibility, but I never STOP having fun with a game simply because it's letting me be too awesome.

I can see how if you play the game shooting things it can feel like a really crappy TPS though.

I agree, I've played a ton of games, pretty much all of the major releases for PS360 this year and I only liked 1 game better than this, it's a shame it flew so far under the radar...

butsomuch

PC patch v1.1 (23 Nov 2010) (it appeared to work with the Steam version)
VERSION 1.1
-----------
- To resolve activation issues, PC copy protection has been removed.
- In Moscow during the assault of Brayko's Mansion, the player could get into a situation where a door would not be openable preventing progression through the rest of the level. This has been fixed.
- In Taipei, during the Stop the Assassination mission, the user can fall out of the world if they reload the "Exit Gardens" checkpoint. There was also a problem where if the player backtracked, part of the level might not load in properly. This has also been fixed.
- In the same mission, a problem with subtitles was corrected.
- In the museum in Rome, the game could crash when using Focused Aim to kill the NPC holding Madison in the elevator.
- Bosses could get stuck in an accelerated mode when Fury wears off.
- Chainsot was exploitable to slow time and get critical headshots without consuming its cooldown.

SAF's AP thread

Fredescu

VERSION 1.1
-----------
- To resolve activation issues, PC copy protection has been removed.

Fuck yeah, I won't have to activate every single time I play the game now.

hey, I remember them saying that they would remove the copy protection six months after release and we're almost exactly six months from release! that's pretty cool.

Picked this up for 7.50 on Steam today. The only real exposure I had to this game previously was the Giant Bomb quick look, and even though the game obviously had some issues, it did look fun. Looking forward to playing it, and I'm glad to see the heads up on going stealth and pistols. :D

aasoncott

Like a lot of people, I picked this up during the Steam sale. Loaded it up, everything looked good, started playing... and discovered that the Y-axis on my left stick is inverted, so when I push up, I walk backwards. The menu only has an option for inverting the axis on the right stick. Did some searching, looks like this is a common problem, but I can't find any solution. I tried changing a bunch of settings in DefaultInput.ini, but they don't seem to be changing anything. Has anyone battled with this and won?

mm04

Marty Chinn said:
I'd rather have it Steam DRM'd for easy access.

It doesn't matter. There is no DRM anymore. Just download the patch and it's gone. I have the disc version and tested it today by installing it again on my nephew's PC. I didn't activate it or anything. I downloaded the patch, executed it and there was no activation necessary.

Durante

I just picked this up in the Steam sale. Before I start, any hints on what to avoid at all costs? (broken/useless skills etc)
I know that the general advice is just to go stealth/pistol but let's say I want to try something different.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Durante said:
I just picked this up in the Steam sale. Before I start, any hints on what to avoid at all costs? (broken/useless skills etc)
I know that the general advice is just to go stealth/pistol but let's say I want to try something different.

Go assault guns if you want to shoot.

Durante

In case anyone else is just starting the game with NV hardware:
By default, if you force AA you lose the dialogue options text. That's because the default profile for the game is wrong. It's a simple fix with NVIDIA Inspector:

settingsjbnc.png

That way you get AA and text. Btw, it runs at 60 fps in 1920*1200 with 16xCSAA on my 460.

mm04 said:
It doesn't matter. There is no DRM anymore. Just download the patch and it's gone. I have the disc version and tested it today by installing it again on my nephew's PC. I didn't activate it or anything. I downloaded the patch, executed it and there was no activation necessary.
I've been unable t even activate the game. It just loops on the key entry text box screen and doesn't let me click the activate button. This is the Steam version. Any tips? Seems like I may have to contact SEGA support, ugh. I really want go jump into this game.

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:
I've been unable t even activate the game. It just loops on the key entry text box screen and doesn't let me click the activate button. This is the Steam version. Any tips? Seems like I may have to contact SEGA support, ugh. I really want go jump into this game.

Before or after latest patch?

mm04

INDIGO_CYCLOPS said:

To be fair, I don't know how the Steam install works. But on disc, after install it only asks for an activation code after you try and start the game. I did the default install, then closed the process once complete. Then I patched it. After that, I was free to start the game and play it with no DRM.

gregor7777 said:
Before or after latest patch?
That's the thing as far as I know Steam keeps the game up to date so I dont why it wouldn't be the latest patch. I'll have to look into it. If ghetto drm is coming up then it must not be the latest after all.

mm04

If the game is fully installed, but only requiring a an activation code, quit out and download the patch which is linked elsewhere in this thread. It's an executable that finds your install and patches up the game executable to remove DRM altogether.

aasoncott

My fantastic experience with Alpha Protocol so far:

• Loaded up the game, watched the intro. Tried to move my character, found that pushing up on my gamepad made him walk backwards.
  • Tried to find a solution -- nothing seemed to work. Looks like lots of people were having the problem.
  • Patched the game. Cool, now the game crashes when you try to launch it.
  • Unpatched the game. Oh, now I can't click on any main menu option. Mouse highlights the menu options, but clicking doesn't do anything. Keyboard and gamepad aren't doing anything, either.
  • Wiped out the game and reinstalled. Still can't do anything on the main menu.

Lovely knowing that I likely just bought a game that will never work and will never be patched. There's no community patch in the works, is there?

Patryn

Just beat the game for the second time. This time I went rookie, but I found that wasn't a major hindrance, because I had more than enough points for the classic Stealth build of Stealth/Pistols/Sabotage.

I also started using Chain Shot a lot earlier and bouncing around missions so as to leave the bosses to the very end. This taught me just how broken Chain Shot and Shadow Operative truly are.

I mean, I knew they were broken. But, man.

Marlburg
? Shadow Operative to get right in his face, one chain shot to take him down. Total fight time? 18 seconds.

Brayko
? Two chain shots. Probably could have done it in one, but I accidentally left my tranq shots instead of steel core. He didn't even get to
go on a coke binge. So much for my paying Steve Heck 10 grand to spike it.
I mean, the song didn't even get a chance to get to its chorus! And this was a fight that took me 3 hours to beat the first time. Now, less than 60 seconds.

I will say that the whole end sequence goes on a little longer than it should, and it's far too combat focused, but overall I have to admit that the 2010 game I've had the most fun with is AP (I'm qualifying simply because the overall most fun I've had is probably with Uncharted 1 and 2 which I played for the first time this year).

I'm really sad there won't be a sequel, if only because I forgot how much I loved Steven Heck. Such a great character.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
aasoncott said:
My fantastic experience with Alpha Protocol so far:

• Loaded up the game, watched the intro. Tried to move my character, found that pushing up on my gamepad made him walk backwards.
  • Tried to find a solution -- nothing seemed to work. Looks like lots of people were having the problem.
  • Patched the game. Cool, now the game crashes when you try to launch it.
  • Unpatched the game. Oh, now I can't click on any main menu option. Mouse highlights the menu options, but clicking doesn't do anything. Keyboard and gamepad aren't doing anything, either.
  • Wiped out the game and reinstalled. Still can't do anything on the main menu.

Lovely knowing that I likely just bought a game that will never work and will never be patched. There's no community patch in the works, is there?

DISCLAIMER: This isn't a PC game troll. You guys get Witcher and Witcher 2; you win; I get it. You're better than us. I know! :lol

This is actually the deep down reason why I am a console gamer. And it isn't Obsidian either; its MANY times when I tried for PC gaming. Even with simple shit like a CSI game for my mom I had to find patches for her that Ubisoft didn't even host on their site. A bunch of titles I played over the years... etc...

I fucking hate broken PC games. Which is funny because to this day one of my favorite series is Quest for Glory but it seems the quality of titles on PC went down. (Not quality of games; just bug-free ness)

Whats worse is now Console games are getting Day 0 patches and etc. and it seems to be that the same problem is now plaguing the "Safe haven" from it. Maybe its time I quit gaming if this keeps getting worse :/ (Who am I kidding; that'll never happen)

NOW onto an answer;
have you tried contacting Obsidian about it and seeing what their solution is?

Fredescu

aasoncott said:
My fantastic experience with Alpha Protocol so far
Does it work without a gamepad?

lsslave said:
Whats worse is now Console games are getting Day 0 patches and etc. and it seems to be that the same problem is now plaguing the "Safe haven" from it. Maybe its time I quit gaming if this keeps getting worse :/ (Who am I kidding; that'll never happen)
What's even worse is when games break and there is no patching mecanism to fix it, like the Wii for example. You can fix a bunch of stuff in ini files on Alpha Protocol on PC, like animations and stuttering, something you couldn't do on a console.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Fredescu said:

What's even worse is when games break and there is no patching mecanism to fix it, like the Wii for example. You can fix a bunch of stuff in ini files on Alpha Protocol on PC, like animations and stuttering, something you couldn't do on a console.

I don't think it should be allowed to release a game that doesn't work; but that is just my opinion on the matter.

In "game testing" instead of sitting there with a bunch of identical computers that they can bug-fix for they should actually have various different settings. And console games bugs just shouldn't be allowed. (Note: They might do this but after Age of Conan came out working on basically one setting I have come to the conclusion they design for one spec and then "Scale" it without testing it. If they do otherwise good on them, but it seems like testing seems to not include the options a user has on their end)

And yes I know games are getting bigger and bigger, but if I am going to spend 70$ on a game (Canadian) it fucking well better WORK. (Yet I am an Obsidian whore... so I guess I like abuse. I just want to have fun without glitches and bugs :( )

aasoncott

Fredescu said:

Nope. After I tried it once with a gamepad, it doesn't work anymore, period. When I get to the main menu, I just can't select anything.

And as far as contacting Obsidian goes, I tried, but I couldn't for the life of me find any way to do so. All there is is a forum that they don't maintain. I could actually find a way to get in touch with a human.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
Stallion Free said:
Sure reads like it.

Far from it. Its just my personal reason for avoiding the PC gaming world.

I know the perks of PC gaming; but the bugs piss me off. And they are now in console games. There is a difference between stating a point of discussion and a troll; but I always disclaim it since my points have been misconstrued before.

But you can backseat mod all you like. Unless your name is red I shouldn't owe you any explanation as to my stance. I made a point about my problem with the fact that devs fuck over the PC userbase; and MANY devs do; in this manner and even conceded in the same post that console games are getting hit by this bullshit now.

lsslave said:
Far from it. Its just my personal reason for avoiding the PC gaming world.

I know the perks of PC gaming; but the bugs piss me off. And they are now in console games. There is a difference between stating a point of discussion and a troll; but I always disclaim it since my points have been misconstrued before.

But you can backseat mod all you like. Unless your name is red I shouldn't owe you any explanation as to my stance. I made a point about my problem with the fact that devs fuck over the PC userbase; and MANY devs do; in this manner and even conceded in the same post that console games are getting hit by this bullshit now.

No offence, but it seems a little unfair to point to bugs as a reason to avoid PC gaming while at the same time admitting that console games are rife with them these days too. At least on PC you can install community patches and ini-tweaks.

lsslave

Jew Gamer
jim-jam bongs said:
No offence, but it seems a little unfair to point to bugs as a reason to avoid PC gaming while at the same time admitting that console games are rife with them these days too. At least on PC you can install community patches and ini-tweaks.

I also said because its coming into console gaming there is a side of me that is close to giving up entirely on the hobby.

Back when I was running an old DOS-box (Tandy-1000 <3) as a kid I didn't have to fight to tweak games to make them work. Then when Windows 95 went into full force I remember that some of the games I had just "wouldn't" work and it kept happening until I eventually just quit trying :/

When I returned as an adult I played about 10 different PC games over a 2 year period and every single one had problems. Whether it be in Sins of a Solar Empire where every time I'd lose 50+ hours in a multiplayer game because I installed a patch infuriating me or furiously trying to find a patch for KotOR 1 when the game kept crashing on me.

Eventually I just stopped trying; and every once in a while a part of me wants to go nuts on PC gaming (better graphics; fan patches and mods; cheaper games) but I have just been conditioned away from the market through years of pain-in-the-assness

Forkball

So I've played it a bit tonight, got to the last Saudi Arabian mission. So far it's enjoyable, but the game needs a lot of polish. First of all, the game was unplayable for me until I had to edit the .ini file to make the mouse less janky. It was such a huge improvement when I did it though. In the first level there was this weird invisible wall near a corner that ruined my stealth, and I had to reload a checkpoint at the part where I had to hop on a heli because for some reason the checkpoint wouldn't activate once I got close to it. The best part of the game is by far the dialogue system. While the characters are nothing special so far, they still have distinct personalities and it's interesting to twist your responses to their personality. I can't wait to see how my decisions and relationships affect the story later on in the game.

I'm doing a stealth/pistol build, but I'm finding that being stealthy is nearly impossible in some areas and enemies seem to drop out of nowhere or at positions where you simply can't sneak past them. I recently got the shadow operative skill, so I'm hoping I can use stealth more in the future. Also is there a tranq gun anywhere? There was on in the opening part, but I can't find one in the clearing house.

Also, the death animations are hilariously over the top for the main character.

Top Bottom