• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Foliorum Viridum said:
Thanks, but I just need to figure out how to get the dialogue options. :lol
Reset the AP profile completely or if you made one in Radeon Pro, delete it. Something is still fucking it up because forcing AA is the only way I have seen for breaking that.

Patryn

GraveRobberX said:
Remember you literally are a spy

With some people act professional, some suave, some aggressive

Not a spoiler:

First 3 starting training agents you meet:

With the dude with the glasses Parker (I think) be Professional the whole time, come under time on his challenge and get him what he request with-out being seen/hurt anyone = bonus AP+ (think XP)

With Mina (I think) come with a score above average (I got 130+), be Professional, 1-2 suave answers in conversation if it heads that way + if she jokes, nothing more

With the douchebag Yancy/Clancy (I think) act Suave/Aggressive, beat his requirements earn some extra funds early on to help ya out

Then the black dude Westridge (I think) be professional no matter what

For your first play-through try everything out, get a feel for it, unless if your strictly playing a typecast style

PS3:

Square - Suave = James Bond (007)
Triangle- Aggressive = Jack Bauer (24)
Circle - Professional = Jason Bourne (Matt Damon)
X (Rare)- Intel (if you bought/earned it) = Master Spy + you earn Brownie Points + game either give you a bonus or an upper hand

Trying to go for 1000/1000 cheves or the platinum = patience/time/multiple playthroughs (took me 7 different saves of doing different situations, with different outcomes to get Platinum), with the right choices you will start seeing the whole picture

There's 5+ endings..I think more if you just picked and choose different scenarios

Stealth + Chain Shot Maxed out = Game Breaking, you become ridiculous, I took Bryakko out in 30 seconds flat
Also picking the cities after Saudia Arabia does affect certain outcomes, better Intelligence given for other cities beforehand, so good luck, my head hurt when you do a fucking flow chart for this game trying to see every ending or just finishing it completely

Not always. There's actually a few places where using that extra information will blow up in your face.

I bet it's Obsidian's response to people complaining about Bioware's Blue/Red text = WIN.

BobsRevenge

I do not avoid women, GAF, but I do deny them my essence.
Patryn said:
Not always. There's actually a few places where using that extra information will blow up in your face.

I bet it's Obsidian's response to people complaining about Bioware's Blue/Red text = WIN.
Obsidian really rocked the shit out of Bioware's dialogue trees, and general story progression. Its a lot less predictable. I still have a problem with dialogue options not explaining what you are going to say well enough. ME2 did it a little better than AP, although the first ME fucked me over several times with the dialogue. APs system of picking an attitude does work better than ME's system generally.

DiddyBop

I'm loving all the different characters/settings and dialogue. Currently trying to find a way to sleep with all the girls. One down, 3 to go :lol

Only thing wrong with this game is boss battles. But I recently discovered the greatness of the chain shot so I think I will fair a bit better from now on

BobsRevenge

DiddyBop said:
I'm loving all the different characters/settings and dialogue. Currently trying to find a way to sleep with all the girls. One down, 3 to go :lol

Only thing wrong with this game is boss battles. But I recently discovered the greatness of the chain shot so I think I will fair a bit better from now on
My shotgun with phosphorus shot takes bosses down in no time. The shotgun ability is awesome, and you just get that going, run up to them and pump phosphorus into their face.

DiddyBop

BobsRevenge said:
My shotgun with phosphorus shot takes bosses down in no time. The shotgun ability is awesome, and you just get that going, run up to them and pump phosphorus into their face.
I'm trying to complete the game with as few kills as possible. Haven't killed anyone since Saudi arabia. Chain shot is so awesome though :lol

I'm also loving how you can switch from city to city, you don't have to follow a linear path and characters will acknowledge things you've done in different cities. Makes it really feel like a Bourne/bond film with all the globe trotting. This is quickly becoming one of my fav games this yr

Durante

I just finished the game with 0 kills. Shadow Agent is a bit overpowered, particularly on master level. But near the end of an RPG it feels right to be overpowered.

Anyway, overall I think AP is very underrated. Except for a few of the boss fight I felt that every part of the game was good to great. The standouts are the conversation and faction systems of course, but the stealth gameplay was surprisingly solid (at least until you gain access to some of the more broken higher tier skills).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Durante said:
I just finished the game with 0 kills. Shadow Agent is a bit overpowered, particularly on master level. But near the end of an RPG it feels right to be overpowered.

Anyway, overall I think AP is very underrated. Except for a few of the boss fight I felt that every part of the game was good to great. The standouts are the conversation and faction systems of course, but the stealth gameplay was surprisingly solid (at least until you gain access to some of the more broken higher tier skills).
I loved your selection of screens in the Screenshot thread and I wish you had done more. Really pleased to hear you liked it too.

verbatimo

I just finished Saudi-Arabia missions and I think the game is awesome agent adventure. The conversation system is great and I have been trying to do missions Sam Fisher style, with stealth and avoiding enemies. It work quite well if you put points in stealth and also the hacking minigame is easy with some points into hacking ability. Game also runs great atleast on my ASUS N51VF laptop, game version 1.1 without any crashes.

I really don't understand all the low review scores. I think the game is awesome. Ok maybe the character animation is not the finest and AI is not perfect and sometimes act dumb but still the core game is great.

Xilium

verbatimo said:
I really don't understand all the low review scores. I think the game is awesome. Ok maybe the character animation is not the finest and AI is not perfect and sometimes act dumb but still the core game is great.

Basically, because it looks like a shooter but doesn't play like a shooter. People can't stand the accuracy stat in a game where the main weapon is a gun. Also, it's not Mass Effect 2.

Trumpets

I'm on the final (I assume) Saudi mission and I'm loving it so far. I'm guessing you need to play stealthy to get the most out of it but even so the low review scores ARE baffling. Just taken as a pure stealth game I'm enjoying it more than the last Splinter Cell, but add in all the RPG stuff and it seems like £7.99 very well spent.

BobsRevenge

I ended up beating the game last night. I probably didn't get the coolest ending ever, but I feel like I did my duty to the world.

Awesome game.

verbatimo said:
The majority of game reviews are only useful to know how polished and flashy a game is.

Zenith

Banned
verbatimo said:

because it has horribly-made gameplay and the conversations are a joke.

Grayman

BobsRevenge said:
Obsidian really rocked the shit out of Bioware's dialogue trees, and general story progression. Its a lot less predictable. I still have a problem with dialogue options not explaining what you are going to say well enough. ME2 did it a little better than AP, although the first ME fucked me over several times with the dialogue. APs system of picking an attitude does work better than ME's system generally.
The problem I had with the dialog is that a character would be yapping along then slip something in the last sentence like "lets kill this fools" and click your choice was already made. Although with everyone being a spy they are playing the attitude game with you too.

AP is always going to be polarising because it is deeply flawed, and I say that in spite of it being one of my favourite games this year. If you can look past the binary difficulty curve (i.e. early on you're really weak, later on you can destroy everything with a button press) it really does have a huge amount to offer.

My favourite aspects of it are probably the things which it takes from a typical RPG then adds a certain twist to. The conversation system seems like a typical Nice Guy/Indifferent Guy/Douchebag tree like you would see in a Bioware game but then you realise that, as Yahtzee put it, they're just 3 different types of ponce. And the decision system which at first you think will boil down to Paragon/Renegade, and then you discover that it's far more nuanced in the ways in which it influences the story and gameplay.

DiddyBop

More people need to try this game, the review scores really did scare people away. This is one of the most refreshing takes on the RPG genre in a while

Vlodril

More people need to try this game, the review scores really did scare people away. This is one of the most refreshing takes on the RPG genre in a while

Agreed. Definitely the most under rated RPG of the year. I would kill for a sequel (although they mention there will not be one). This and new vegas catapulted Obsidian to my 3 top companies.

Kittonwy

Banned
Rustymonke said:
The majority of game reviews are only useful to know how polished and flashy a game is.

What I want to know is whether the game has good shooting mechanics if I'm going to spend a lot of time in combat, things like first shot accuracy, reticle, amount of recoil, the reliability and flexibility of the cover system, etc.

Had to do a bit of fiddling but my issue with dialogue is resolved now, so I'll pump some time in to this next week :)

Doesn't look nearly as nice without AA though :( I had to turn AF too which finally fixed my problem.

Kittonwy said:
What I want to know is whether the game has good shooting mechanics if I'm going to spend a lot of time in combat, things like first shot accuracy, reticle, amount of recoil, the reliability and flexibility of the cover system, etc.
The cover system is very basic, it's not very good about telling you what works for cover or when you can jump up over cover. Think kill.switch, though here it also works for stealth.

The shooting is fine once you put some points into your preferred weapon, and the game will let you do "critical shots" (aim for a while) that are pin-point accurate even without training. I had a lot of fun shooting punks and I had a lot of fun punching punks in this game.

But even if you play it guns blazing most of your enjoyment will probably come from the dialogue and NPC interactions. And knowing that you’re shooting punks belonging to a guy you hate makes it a lot more enjoyable, I think.

Mr Jared

DiddyBop said:

I picked it up earlier this year when people started comparing a lot of the conversation systems to recent Bioware titles and I was really surprised at just how much I enjoyed it. Reviews made it out to be one of the worst efforts in recent memories, but I loved it. It's rough around the edges for sure, but not enough to pull me out of the experience.

I think Alpha Protocol had the unfortunate fate of being released too close to Mass Effect 2. If it had been released say, shortly after the original ME, minds would have been blown. Tech-wise, it's little behind the curve.

Durante

Fuck cover systems. Seriously.

Stallion Free said:
I loved your selection of screens in the Screenshot thread and I wish you had done more. Really pleased to hear you liked it too.
Thanks, I actually did around 300. I always take tons of screenshots when playing, but only a few are good enough to post.

DiddyBop said:
Agreed. I'm actually a little annoyed at myself for only getting the game at the recent sale. I've told myself far too often to completely disregard review scores, but somehow the negativity surrounding AP at launch still managed to get to me.

Patryn

Kittonwy said:

No. The shooting mechanics are by far the worst thing about Alpha Protocol. It really feels as though an RPG suddenly decided to try its hand at a shooter.

Spoit

Xilium said:
Basically, because it looks like a shooter but doesn't play like a shooter. People can't stand the accuracy stat in a game where the main weapon is a gun. Also, it's not Mass Effect 2.
Which is really what killed it.

If they had just pushed it out the 6 months earlier (which they hadn't really done anything with anyway), not only would it have avoided all the Me2 comparisons, it would have been able to benefit from the holliday season bump

DiddyBop

What I love is that I feel I can actually replay the game and get a completely different experience. I played stealth and was a James bond/Matt Bourne type character and I typically chose not to kill annoyin or betray anything. For my 2nd play through I'm thinking of doin a guns blazing, jack bauer type asshole who has no one but enemies. The dialogue choices I make this time will definitely change the story as I won't be as friendly/forgiving. Ions having that option for a fresh experience my 2nd time through

BobsRevenge said:
I ended up beating the game last night. I probably didn't get the coolest ending ever, but I feel like I did my duty to the world.

I thought that when I finished, but then the 'credits rolling' news report basically confirmed that everything I'd done had turned out to be essentially meaningless, and all of the difficult choices I had made had resulted in essentially the same results just through different means.

Basically, the world was still fucked despite my best efforts as an individual, it was just fucked in all the ways I personally couldn't prevent.

I liked that.

ArjanN

DiddyBop said:
What I love is that I feel I can actually replay the game and get a completely different experience. I played stealth and was a James bond/Matt Bourne type character and I typically chose not to kill annoyin or betray anything. For my 2nd play through I'm thinking of doin a guns blazing, jack bauer type asshole who has no one but enemies. The dialogue choices I make this time will definitely change the story as I won't be as friendly/forgiving. Ions having that option for a fresh experience my 2nd time through

If you're playing a guns blazing kind of guy, team up with Stephen Heck. He's pretty hilarious.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
So what's the best version of this to go with right now? It sounds like the PC version is pretty stable post-patch - have the console versions been patched?

Archer

Just beat this game for the first time.

LOVED every minute of it. Yes, it was a little rough around the edges in a couple of spots, but outstanding. I hope that this game wins some kind of positive award.

Very disappointed to hear that SEGA won't do a sequel. Really wish they'd change their mind.

Forkball

XiaNaphryz said:
Any easy references to go to for .ini tweaks?
This is a goddamn necessity. The game was literally unplayable for me before I tweaked this. You have to know that this game is buggy. You may think "oh so if I wear this armor and jump against this wall for ten seconds it'll freeze?" No, more like basic things you do will result in the game to glitch out. For example, most of the time if you select "Start from last checkpoint" after you die, enemies and objectives will be totally gone. This can actually be advantageous sometimes if you're stuck on a hard part, but sometimes it makes it so it's impossible to proceed, so you have to reload the last checkpoint from the save screen. It is without a doubt the buggiest and glitchiest game I have ever played.

But it's still fun somehow. The dialogue system is great and the story is interesting if you like typical spy tropes. The shooting gameplay isn't so hot, although it is strangely amusing to cloak and then knock out guys with throat punches before they know what's going on. I'm pleased with it for $7.50.

butsomuch

Contrary to what the most people know, Obsidian owns the IP. But I don't think they can find a new pubisher to support the sequel to Alpha Protocol.

Archer said:
Just beat this game for the first time.

LOVED every minute of it. Yes, it was a little rough around the edges in a couple of spots, but outstanding. I hope that this game wins some kind of positive award.

Very disappointed to hear that SEGA won't do a sequel. Really wish they'd change their mind.

Yeah it's a shame, they really have something here, even in it's current state I think the game would have done a lot better in sales if SEGA hadn't fumbled every aspect of it's pre-release.

The release date got changed like 4 different times, at one point they just decided not to ship the game and forgot to tell anyone they were delaying it again until after it's supposed release date. Even before that, the footage captured/demoed in the first reveals was just awful and that more than anything ultimately doomed the game to death. You only get 1 chance to make a first impression. As it stands it's gonna be remembered more for being one of the biggest marketing and publishing failures ever, rather than a really good game...

Grayman

butsomuch said:
Contrary to what the most people know, Obsidian owns the IP. But I don't think they can find a new pubisher to support the sequel to Alpha Protocol.
They could do something unique with a similar dialog and relationship system and I would be just as into it.

demon arm

Bought the game on Steam a couple of weeks ago on sale for €7.50 without a great deal of expectation. Completed it the other night on Recruit using a stealth/pistol build.

My verdict: best C/A-RPG since The Witcher. Also most fun I've had with a stealth game since maybe the original MGS. To be fair sometimes it's clunky as fuck and often not really polished, but its sheer charm won me over. It did crash on me a couple of times per session, though.

I had such a blast playing it. Dialogue choices felt intuitive and made an serious impact on the story. Moral choices never felt clear-cut and always impacted future events. The radio broadcast in the end titles impressed me, for example:
I spared Shaheed and worked together with his men in a couple of missions, only to hear of his groups assaulting on the West Bank in the radio report in the end. Whole lot of people died because of my decision.

Recruit stealth build was a bit too weak at the beginning but overpowered as fuck at the end (on normal). Close to the end I was chain-shooting six dudes whilst invisible. Awesome. Despite what others have been saying, bosses were always doable with my sleath build. Chain headshooting bosses FTW:
Westridge wen't down in less than a second. Also - I shot down the final helecopter with chainshooting after the rocket launchers ran out. Felt awsome, I rofled!

Loved many of the innovations, like the built in achievement system with gameplay perks. Story was fairly predictable but very well done. The characters were all memorable and excellently voice-acted.

My verdict: it might not be classic that Deus Ex and Vampire:TM:B are but it definately fits into the tradition (including being a clunky, bug-ridden mess at times!). I give it my enthusiastic recommendation.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Forkball said:
This is a goddamn necessity. The game was literally unplayable for me before I tweaked this. You have to know that this game is buggy. You may think "oh so if I wear this armor and jump against this wall for ten seconds it'll freeze?" No, more like basic things you do will result in the game to glitch out. For example, most of the time if you select "Start from last checkpoint" after you die, enemies and objectives will be totally gone. This can actually be advantageous sometimes if you're stuck on a hard part, but sometimes it makes it so it's impossible to proceed, so you have to reload the last checkpoint from the save screen. It is without a doubt the buggiest and glitchiest game I have ever played.

But it's still fun somehow. The dialogue system is great and the story is interesting if you like typical spy tropes. The shooting gameplay isn't so hot, although it is strangely amusing to cloak and then knock out guys with throat punches before they know what's going on. I'm pleased with it for $7.50.
Here are the additional tweaks I ended up doing in APEngine.ini:

Trilinear=True
MaxAnisotropy=16
EnableHighPolyChars=True
MinShadowResolution=32
MaxShadowResolution=4096
bEnableBranchingPCFShadows=True
bEnableForegroundShadowsOnWorld=True

DiddyBop

So glad more people are giving this game a chance despite the reviews. Will go down as an overlook cult classic when it's all said and done

Top Bottom