• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

classicdms

Neo Member
I'm only a few hours in but the game has managed to surprise me a few times already.

One time, I had just entered a room and surveyed the area, saw like 3 dudes and hid behind a box trying to figure out how I would try and take these dudes out. I was taking my time, waiting to see what their patrol routes would be and a heard something behind me. Pull a 180 on the camera and see a guard taking the butt of his gun to my face. The idea that enemies would try to sneak up on me was one I did not imagine. In Metal Gears, they'd just open fire. If that wasn't a scripted event, then major props to Obsidian.

Also, the sight lines on these dues being more than 6 feet in front of them keeps throwing me for a loop.

And early mission spoilers,
The fact that Nasri told me straight up that if I had gone after him sooner, I would have intercepted the sale of the missiles blows my fucking mind. I knew that the order of the missions had subtle changes in the way they played out, but that because I did a few other missions, time had actually passed and there were consequences because of it? Christ, this is interesting.

After loving Fallout: New Vegas a lot more than Fallout 3, and now playing through this, Obsidian is quickly becoming one of my favorite developers. Bethesda needs to buy them up so they can get started on building a better Mass Effect, because I believe that they might actually be able to do it better.

Jangaroo

Always the tag bridesmaid, never the tag bride.
classicdms said:
I'm only a few hours in but the game has managed to surprise me a few times already.

One time, I had just entered a room and surveyed the area, saw like 3 dudes and hid behind a box trying to figure out how I would try and take these dudes out. I was taking my time, waiting to see what their patrol routes would be and a heard something behind me. Pull a 180 on the camera and see a guard taking the butt of his gun to my face. The idea that enemies would try to sneak up on me was one I did not imagine. In Metal Gears, they'd just open fire. If that wasn't a scripted event, then major props to Obsidian.

Also, the sight lines on these dues being more than 6 feet in front of them keeps throwing me for a loop.

The fact that Nasri told me straight up that if I had gone after him sooner, I would have intercepted the sale of the missiles blows my fucking mind. I knew that the order of the missions had subtle changes in the way they played out, but that because I did a few other missions, time had actually passed and there were consequences because of it? Christ, this is interesting.

After loving Fallout: New Vegas a lot more than Fallout 3, and now playing through this, Obsidian is quickly becoming one of my favorite developers. Bethesda needs to buy them up so they can get started on building a better Mass Effect, because I believe that they might actually be able to do it better.
In regards to the enemy being behind you, it sounds more like it spawned right behind you. The enemies don't actively try to sneak up on you. I've had occasions where I'd walk into a room with no enemies but as soon as I reloaded and went to the same room, the enemies just spawned right there. Don't expect them to be sneaking behind you too often.

IoCaster

Finally got around to starting this game. Just finished the tutorial and I already hate the hacking mini-game. Whoever designed that shit is an asshole.

IoCaster said:
Finally got around to starting this game. Just finished the tutorial and I already hate the hacking mini-game. Whoever designed that shit is an asshole.
Squint your eyes, that helps identifying the combinations that don't move faster.

Also this game is pretty awesome (bugs and glitches aside) - thank you Steam sale!

IoCaster

Phife Dawg said:
Squint your eyes, that helps identifying the combinations that don't move faster.

The remapped keyboard screwed up the selection key for the code so it wasn't registering. I had to reset the controls to default and redo my custom setup to get it working right. Shitty mini-game still sucks though.

Forkball

I recommend putting at least one point into sabotage, it makes the hacking and other mini-games easier. Even just one point has noticeable differences.

IoCaster said:
The remapped keyboard screwed up the selection key for the code so it wasn't registering. I had to reset the controls to default and redo my custom setup to get it working right. Shitty mini-game still sucks though.
Oh yeah that happened to me as well. I don't like the minigame either but with the eye squinting I have never failed one yet - playing normal recruit. You will come across this minigame quite a few times.

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Foliorum Viridum said:
I liked how it was designed a lot around stealth, which is extremely satisfying. Reminded me of the days of Metal Gear Solid when I cleared out an entire enemy base without raising an eyebrow. It's been a long time since I dedicated so much time to stealth as this. However, the A.I. was dodgy at times, the game often forced you in to combat regardless of your overall approach to the missions and as a result of having a stealth character that was more frustrating than it should've been, especially during boss battles.
I just finished the game last night and I don't agree. I also played as a stealth/non-lethal player, and even when I was forced into combat situations I was able to do fine with a lot of use of shadow operative and chain shot. There were a few instances where I was forced to do something else (a certain boss fight towards the end, the beginning fo the Brayko mission if you went in on the APC), but otherwise I was able to sneak around and takedown enemies or just bypass them (like the Rome mission you were referring to earlier, after downloading the data).

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Uh, you aren't forced to do the APC insertion so that isn't really forcing you into a non-stealth situation. It's pretty obvious that the other insertion is for stealth. And you get to *pick* it.

XiaNaphryz said:
I just finished the game last night and I don't agree. and chain shot.
Because Chain Shot is the most broken skill when it comes to killing anyone with a big health bar.

Edit: Try taking Brayko on with melee and you are sooooo screwed, actually almost any boss would probably murder you in melee.

Bread

Banned
Got this for Christmas and put about an hour into it, I'm glad to see that pistol/stealth is the best way to go, because that's the way I wanted to play :D

I decided to go for a challenge and start as a recruit, I like having more dialogue options. Should I be saving up for a gun to buy from the store? If so which one.

Patryn

XiaNaphryz said:
I just finished the game last night and I don't agree. I also played as a stealth/non-lethal player, and even when I was forced into combat situations I was able to do fine with a lot of use of shadow operative and chain shot. There were a few instances where I was forced to do something else (a certain boss fight towards the end, the beginning fo the Brayko mission if you went in on the APC), but otherwise I was able to sneak around and takedown enemies or just bypass them (like the Rome mission you were referring to earlier, after downloading the data).

If you're going as a stealth/non-lethal character, why'd you choose to ally with the VCI? G22 is the stealthy organization.

Bread said:
Got this for Christmas and put about an hour into it, I'm glad to see that pistol/stealth is the best way to go, because that's the way I wanted to play :D

I decided to go for a challenge and start as a recruit, I like having more dialogue options. Should I be saving up for a gun to buy from the store? If so which one.

I tended to save money more for armor (want to buy the quietest armor possible) and intel rather than pistols. I still bought new pistols, but chain shot really makes the quality of a gun irrelevant for the most part.

Think of it this way: If you're going stealth, you shouldn't be getting into shoot-outs. You should be going for silent takedowns or waiting for the critical headshot, which is an automatic kill for basically everyone but bosses regardless of pistol.

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
Lostconfused said:
Edit: Try taking Brayko on with melee and you are sooooo screwed, actually almost any boss would probably murder you in melee.

Hi! I murdered all bosses in melee.

XiaNaphryz

Patryn said:
If you're going as a stealth/non-lethal character, why'd you choose to ally with the VCI? G22 is the stealthy organization.
I wanted to up my rep with SIE at the time as I was going for the "romance all ladies" route. Compromises to the plan had to be made. :lol

Zachack

classicdms said:
Not to burst your bubble but I did that mission first and was told the same thing.

PBalfredo

Bought the game off the Steam sale. I played through it before on a rental and now I want to do my rookie playthrough so I can unlock the vet. Before I did stealth/pistols. Since so much of the game is based around stealth and pistols are made of win, I'm wondering if it's worth trying a different build? I'm worried anything else will seem like second banana compared to stealth/pistols, but at the same time I'm worried it might get boring just facestabbing people all day long.

So how has replayability been? Bought and beat at launch (and loved it despite the roughness and bugs) has any patches come out since release. I'm really tempted for the rebuy on the PS3. Game was a bunch of fun, but at the same time the very essence of diamond in the rough.

Alright so I picked this up for 14 dollars new on 360. Now I love me some RPGs but I've followed this game from launch and know it has issues, etc. Thats fine and dandy. My problem is I have a HUGE backlog currently after getting games for Christmas and I'd like to know what the best setup for a character build would be. I want to minimize me having to spend more time on this game alone since I barely get time to play games in general and would like to work my way through this fairly quickly.

Bread

Banned
this game's awesome! the battle against
shaheed and his minions was fun as hell, I decided to let him live, hopefully he was telling the truth!

RustyO

So started getting into this the other day... started as Rookie and did the training centre stuff, mainly pistols and espionage so far.

Mate came over yesterday and wanted to check it out, so did all of the Saudi Arabia missions... casual, in my blue shirt and red beret = styling.

It's not bad so far, a bit clunky some times on the camera and so on, but no massive complaints, just feels a bit "unpolished" in some ways.

Airfield:
Really had to sneak around in this one
Weapons Dealer:
Bit of a mix and match... pity about my radio going on the fritz :lol
Check on the weapons cache:
Run and gun was the order of the day.

Also, I find some of the conversations, and the responses a bit "weird"/? Bit hard to explain, but, yeah.

All in all not too bad so far.

Was it a mistake to dump all of my points into pistols and stealth? I just left Saudi Arabia and so far I haven't been able to get past more than 2 enemies without having an alarm go off. I keep falling back on lighting everybody up with my non-upgraded assault rifle, which works ok.

AcciDante

CaptainAhab said:
Was it a mistake to dump all of my points into pistols and stealth? I just left Saudi Arabia and so far I haven't been able to get past more than 2 enemies without having an alarm go off. I keep falling back on lighting everybody up with my non-upgraded assault rifle, which works ok.

I beat the game going all pistols/stealth, with some extra karate. Sneaking through missions is definitely doable, but unfortunately the game sometimes put you in situations where you have to get in firefights :/

XiaNaphryz

CaptainAhab said:
No, that should work out fine. You're supposed to sneak behind guards and do takedowns as quickly as possible in spots where noone will see the body until it fades out. Otherwise you're doing critical shots in the head. I had no issues sneaking around in the first area without setting off alarms.

I never was really forced into any firefights except for a few bosses (shadow operative and chain shot made quick work of that). Most every other setup I was able to takedown all the guards or just sneak past everyone.

CaptainAhab said:

Nope. Pistol, stealth, and preferably tech is the way to go. Chain shot is incredibly powerful on boss fights in late stages of the game, and being able to fire from cover will help you stealth through pretty much the whole game.

Seriously, nothing more BADASS than hearing the sound of a silenced pistol shot. :D

AcciDante said:
I beat the game going all pistols/stealth, with some extra karate. Sneaking through missions is definitely doable, but unfortunately the game sometimes put you in situations where you have to get in firefights :/

XiaNaphryz said:
No, that should work out fine. You're supposed to sneak behind guards and do takedowns as quickly as possible in spots where noone will see the body until it fades out. Otherwise you're doing critical shots in the head. I had no issues sneaking around in the first area without setting off alarms.

I never was really forced into any firefights except for a few bosses (shadow operative and chain shot made quick work of that). Most every other setup I was able to takedown all the guards or just sneak past everyone.

Awesome, just making sure before I pressed forward. Also, dude's sneak animation is wicked goofy. He looks like a duck.

vocab

Man, I was not prepared for the jankyness of this game. So many hilarious things happened in the first couple of hours.

I will still never understand how people praise the stealth elements in this game even going as far as comparing it to Metal Gear!

Metal Gear(even 1) had fairly logical stealth techniques even if it was limited by tunnel vision guards to make it like pac-man. Even still it depended on positioning, timing, etc.

AP stealth is more akin to stealth skills in MMOs where you press a button and TADA no one can see you do anything anymore.

BudokaiMR2 said:
I will still never understand how people praise the stealth elements in this game even going as far as comparing it to Metal Gear!

Metal Gear(even 1) had fairly logical stealth techniques even if it was limited by tunnel vision guards to make it like pac-man. Even still it depended on positioning, timing, etc.

AP stealth is more akin to stealth skills in MMOs where you press a button and TADA no one can see you do anything anymore.

MGS is a stealth game. Alpha Protocol is an RPG. If you put points into Stealth, obviously stealth is going to be easier. Nothing wrong with how stealth is approached here.

vocab

BudokaiMR2 said:

Metal gear's stealth is leaps and bounds over AP. I can't tell if AP is going for realism, or AI that's like Crytek (kill one guy, the AI knows exactly where you are at).

Hasphat'sAnts said:
MGS is a stealth game. Alpha Protocol is an RPG. If you put points into Stealth, obviously stealth is going to be easier. Nothing wrong with how stealth is approached here.

That is simplifying the problem a little too much imo. AP is NOT just an RPG. It is trying to go for a stealth/action hybrid as well.

I just think there could have been actual interesting stealth skills done. I can think of about a dozen ways to incorporate it instead of just "Let's make the player completely invisible and make it so that no one else in the room even realizes the effects of your actions"

I just found the stealth REALLY REALLY boring because there is absolutely zero challenge. You press the stealth button and walk around taking out as many guy as you can in the time allotted.

vocab said:
Man, I was not prepared for the jankyness of this game. So many hilarious things happened in the first couple of hours.

Throughout the entire shooting tutorial any gun I picked up would spin wildly around in my hand, which is weird because Obsidian made New Vegas with a different engine and stuff would spin around wildly in that game too:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BMHkFUQiQzo

The dialog system is amazing though.

BudokaiMR2 said:
That is simplifying the problem a little too much imo. AP is NOT just an RPG. It is trying to go for a stealth/action hybrid as well.

I just think there could have been actual interesting stealth skills done. I can think of about a dozen ways to incorporate it instead of just "Let's make the player completely invisible and make it so that no one else in the room even realizes the effects of your actions"

I just found the stealth REALLY REALLY boring because there is absolutely zero challenge. You press the stealth button and walk around taking out as many guy as you can in the time allotted.

It's hilarious when you waddle right past 5 alert guards in the broad daylight of a Saudi Arabian summer.

BudokaiMR2 said:

They had to balance the game for a non stealthy play style as well, which led to situations that might be a fun firefight, but had no way to get through stealthily without the invisibility perk like the arcade or the train yard. It's a tough balancing act and I feel they did as well as they could.

So, I got AP during the holiday sale, installed it, ran updates, hit Play from the launcher, and...

"Alpha Protocol has stopped responding."

So far I've tried compatibility modes, different drivers, current drivers...nothing seems to work.

Any help, PC/AP GAF?

Playing through it now, just did Saudi Arabia. As someone mentioned way back - this is a game of numbers. I tried run & gun on Easy, then took my time to understand Stealth on Normal - Stealth is way easier and more fun for me to play. The diffirence skills and points make is huge.

So far the game has been great, I even got used to stupid Hacking minigame. I don't know how mnay patches the game had but it's been running nicely so far (except for Awareness bug before I leveled it up to Master).

These boss fights are garbage. I put half of my points in stealth, so I'll run through a level throat-punching oblivious dipshits in the neck, only to get trapped in a tiny room with a boss in a leisure suit with 7 million hit points. Unless I'm missing something, there isn't a decent way to use stealth in any of these boss fights, so I'm stuck taking down a super human and a bunch of grunts with assault rifles using a pistol. If I had thrown everything into health and shotguns I'd probably blow right through these fights without any effort, but as it is I died like 7 times trying to take down a teenager in a hoodie.

I was hoping this game was going to be a cross between Mass Effect and the Bourne movies, but it's more of a cross between one of those Splinter Cell games for the DS and Get Smart. The one with Steve Carell.

Brandon F

Well congratulations! You got yourself caught!
CaptainAhab said:
These boss fights are garbage. I put half of my points in stealth, so I'll run through a level throat-punching oblivious dipshits in the neck, only to get trapped in a tiny room with a boss in a leisure suit with 7 million hit points. Unless I'm missing something, there isn't a decent way to use stealth in any of these boss fights, so I'm stuck taking down a super human and a bunch of grunts with assault rifles using a pistol. If I had thrown everything into health and shotguns I'd probably blow right through these fight without any effort, but as it is I died like 7 times trying to take down a teenager in a hoodie.

You can often stealth when behind a pillar, etc... this gives you opportunity to line up a great headshot with whatever weapon you have dumped skill points into(You DID at least focus on one weapon type right? At least enough to have its basic combat ability?). Then it becomes a matter of getting to safety until it recharges and repeat. Some bosses have a few variants to this strategy I can help with.

I'm also playing a stealth playthrough on Hard difficulty on my first play, and while it is a challenge dealing with them, I have had solid success with this strategy. Basically, only use stealth whenever a boss tries to CQC to immediately break their aggro and confuse them, use weapon skill for headshot(pistol chain shot for me), run to hiding until recharge. Just make sure any hits you do land are 'crits' which is especially easy to line up during stealth timer. I almost never just take potshots as usually the armor negates any actual hits you do land...at least until they are near death. Focus on being in safety and abuse your abilities to land critical hits.

Which boss in particular are you stuck on?

Jerk

Banned
CaptainAhab said:
These boss fights are garbage. I put half of my points in stealth, so I'll run through a level throat-punching oblivious dipshits in the neck, only to get trapped in a tiny room with a boss in a leisure suit with 7 million hit points. Unless I'm missing something, there isn't a decent way to use stealth in any of these boss fights, so I'm stuck taking down a super human and a bunch of grunts with assault rifles using a pistol. If I had thrown everything into health and shotguns I'd probably blow right through these fight without any effort, but as it is I died like 7 times trying to take down a teenager in a hoodie.

Yeah you did it wrong.

Chainshot pretty much decimates everything and stealth helps with positioning and moving out of the line of fire.

Did you invest into melee instead of a weapon?

Brandon F said:
You can often stealth when behind a pillar, etc... this gives you opportunity to line up a great headshot with whatever weapon you have dumped skill points into(You DID at least focus on one weapon type right? At least enough to have its basic combat ability?). Then it becomes a matter of getting to safety until it recharges and repeat. Some bosses have a few variants to this strategy I can help with.

I'm also playing a stealth playthrough on Hard difficulty on my first play, and while it is a challenge dealing with them, I have had solid success with this strategy. Basically, only use stealth whenever a boss tries to CQC to immediately break their aggro and confuse them, use weapon skill for headshot(pistol chain shot for me), run to hiding until recharge.

Good advice. This is a pretty much fail-safe way of beating all the bosses.

Brandon F

Sounds like he is actually stuck on Sis on the boat(teenager with hoodie). There are only two grunts IIRC to deal with, and I just used gadgets(mines/grenades) to take them down from the starting cover. Not really that difficult and again do not just pop off normal shots from cover to take em out, it's asking for death. Use chain shot and be patient for recharges(on each) if you need, but 'nades' worked best for me to get them out of the picture fast.

Once you take them down, dealing with sis goes exactly as described. Chain shot sis in the head whenever you have an opportunity and it is charged up. Use stealth as well to just confuse her and pop off a freebie critical hit(or chain shot if available). Always stay in cover, she never will CQC really(unless you get close yourself), but her SMG's do hurt hard if not in cover.

Be mindful of her reload time too, usually the best chance to pop out and get hits.

Brandon F said:

I'm also playing a stealth playthrough on Hard difficulty on my first play, and while it is a challenge dealing with them, I have had solid success with this strategy. Basically, only use stealth whenever a boss tries to CQC to immediately break their aggro and confuse them, use weapon skill for headshot(pistol chain shot for me), run to hiding until recharge. Just make sure any hits you do land are 'crits' which is especially easy to line up during stealth timer. I almost never just take potshots as usually the armor negates any actual hits you do land...at least until they are near death. Focus on being in safety and abuse your abilities to land critical hits.

The guy in the disco took me forever. I have the pistol leveled up, so I get 3 shots with chainshot. I would sneak up on the guy and hit him in the head with all 3 shots and his shield would only go down about half way. If I ran and hid I wouldn't have done any damage and his shield would have recharged by the time chainshot was ready again, so I'd try to hit him some more with my pistol, my shotgun which isn't leveled up, or some grenades. He would run straight at me with a bunch of unblockable melee attacks, and inevitably 3 guys with assault rifles would roll into the room.

I'm willing to concede that I may just be bad at this game, but I can't help thinking that some of the other skill trees seem like they would be so much better suited to these fights.

Brandon F

CaptainAhab said:
The guy in the disco took me forever. I have the pistol leveled up, so I get 3 shots with chainshot. I would sneak up on the guy and hit him in the head with all 3 shots and his shield would only go down about half way. If I ran and hid I wouldn't have done any damage and his shield would have recharged by the time chainshot was ready again, so I'd try to hit him some more with my pistol, my shotgun which isn't leveled up, or some grenades. He would run straight at me with a bunch of unblockable melee attacks, and inevitably 3 guys with assault rifles would roll into the room.

Yea he was tough. I am not sure if you had any of the 'Steel Core' ammo for your pistol, you should have by that point in the game(press up on d-pad to switch ammo type for pistol). Steel core ammo is your go-to for boss battles, always remember that. They shred through armor and do extra damage.

Basically that fight strategy works well as I described. You -always- need to save your stealth ability for whenever he starts to do lines of coke using his knife and run at you for a 3-hit combo. As soon as you see him run your way, pop stealth on from cover and he will stop in his tracks and be confused. Then is your time for a chain shot with steel core(or wait for a red crit headshot if N/A). He will always go back to his SMG attack if you pop stealth successfully. Just make sure you are ALWAYS away from him in cover, just keep away if he doesn't go back on stage maintaining cover between you and him.

A tough fight for sure, but this strategy whips him down easilly. Never even noticed any grunts enter the fray actually. I beat him last night with only the two-hit chain shot ability still using this strategy(with 3 it should go much faster with that extra hit per use)...but it did take many attempts and deaths to get the feel for his pattern before I nailed it.

XiaNaphryz

CaptainAhab said:

I'm willing to concede that I may just be bad at this game, but I can't help thinking that some of the other skill trees seem like they would be so much better suited to these fights.
The disco boss is ridiculously easy if you poison his cocaine supply beforehand. One 5 shot chain to the head is enough.

Brandon F

XiaNaphryz said:
The disco boss is ridiculously easy if you poison his cocaine supply beforehand. One 5 shot chain to the head is enough.

Oh shit, didn't know you could do that! Awesome.

XiaNaphryz

Brandon F said:
Oh shit, didn't know you could do that! Awesome.
Yeah, you just have to have met Heck beforehand to get the intel option. The boss will start taking damage on his own after he snorts it, so all you have to do is run and hide at that point.

Brandon F

XiaNaphryz said:
Yeah, you just have to have met Heck beforehand to get the intel option. The boss will start taking damage on his own after he snorts it, so all you have to do is run and hide at that point.

Ah, yea Moscow is the first place I visited after Saudi Arabia, so I never noticed that objective. Will keep in mind on my Veteran playthrough tho!

Top Bottom