• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
vocab said:
Does Alpha Protocol still ask you to activate it with the DRM removed?

I even patched it with the link from sega to make sure, but game sill crashes on startup.
Did you apply the right patch?

Wallach

So after being a weak bitch and adding more money to my Steam wallet I bought this. Do you guys recommend a controller or does it work well with a KB/M? I play most games in this perspective with the latter but I've heard the controls are a bit wonky.

So this is pretty cheap currently and I have some questions:

- Is the 360 version any good?

- After finishing GoldenEye Wii, I have a hankering for some Bond - can you play it like that?

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I bought this as well. It sounds right up my alley, I love WRPG's.

It's the Denton shout out in the thread title that pushed me over the edge.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Wallach said:
So after being a weak bitch and adding more money to my Steam wallet I bought this. Do you guys recommend a controller or does it work well with a KB/M? I play most games in this perspective with the latter but I've heard the controls are a bit wonky.
Go with the controller. The MKB feels weird and one of the hacking minigames is awful on it.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Fuck yes, Bethesda should give them lots of money and tell them to go wild with AP2. And then advertise the fuck out of it. And make a big deal about it on Steam, just like they did with New Vegas.

Wallach

Lostconfused said:
Ok well then I guess we better hope New Vegas and Dungeon Siege do really well? Don't necessarily want AP2 but it would be cool if obsidian would take another stab at doing their own thing.

I think it's safe to say New Vegas is doing well. I'm more curious if the rumors about Obsidian being courted for purchase (by Zenimax for example) wind up being true.

Bebpo

Banned
I dunno if Obsidian getting bought would be a good thing. I like how they move around and do all kinds of different stuff. On the other hand, it'd be nice if they weren't always getting screwed by publishers.

XiaNaphryz

Stallion Free said:
Go with the controller. The MKB feels weird and one of the hacking minigames is awful on it.
You mean how lockpicking is too easy with the mouse? I don't mind that as much for some reason. :lol

Forkball

The lockpicking was still hard for me on the mouse, maybe I was doing it wrong.

And if they do a sequel, I hope it's more of an open world game instead of hub -> straight-forward level format.

Grayman

Foliorum Viridum said:
Argh this game just doesn't reward good stealth play. At the
ruins in Rome
I was an absolutely GHOST. I flew through the place taking out guards before they knew what hit them and not one had the slightest hint I was there. Once I downloaded the data? Wave after wave of enemy trying to kill me. It's bollocks. You should have a different outcome if you did the mission stealthy.

The game is really good with the consequences of dialogue options, but less so with the way you tackle the missions sometimes.

Is there a NG+? I really hope there is because the game is so fun now I can take out a room full of guys in an instant. I'd like to replay it to see various outcomes, but if I have to start from scratch that isn't happening. The game is too frustrating to put up with that again.

Despite my complaints in this thread I am really enjoying the game - it just gets so close to being a great title, then does stupid things which annoy me. They ultimately hold it back.

I'm on to my last location now.
There is not an NG+ but there is a Veteran character class that starts with a lot of points and can raise skills to six at start(vs 3). I am not sure if you get Vet for finishing with any class or if you had to play on recruit (which would have given you fewer starting stats)

Wallach

bistromathics said:
7.50 on steam? boooought.

Hmm only 1 gig. ME2 is 11 gb. Guess I know which game I'm playing next

It's actually 11 gigs (AP that is). I don't know why it shows up as just over 1 GB in the pre-download menu.

Soooo I just bought this on Steam

Game asks for an activation code, I enter it and click activate...nothing happens

At all >:/

I have restarted the activation client several times and the same thing happens ever time.

Anyone else have this problem?

Grayman

bistromathics said:
Hm yeah it is 11...was I going nuts or did it really show up as 1gb
mine showed up at 1gb in local files but I could have sworn it was 7 or 11gb. Steam is doing something weird, the game is definitely not a gigabyte.

XiaNaphryz

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
Bought this game today, started as a recruit and am planning on going all stealth with pistols. (Partly because I enjoy stealth, and partly because I heard that's a manageable route)

subversus

I've done nothing with my life except eat and fap
D2M15 said:
That's not what members of the dev team have stated, unless there's newer, awfuler news.
It's exactly what members of the dev team have stated after the release. Numerous times.

RustyO

Arrived a couple of days ago (Xbox) and just getting started on the "Recruit" mode... seems ok so far but
your handler at the beginning has a lazy left eye
:lol

ant_

not characteristic of ants at all
I'm sorry GAF.. I tried playing this for the past 3 hours and I just couldn't get into it. Dialogue was really cool, had a really cool beard guy, was ready to start doing some stealth action. And I just couldn't get into stealth gameplay. Now I'm all for bad stealth dynamics, I fucking loved Tenchu Z for that reason alone, but this one was not HORRIBLE, but not GOOD so I just couldn't take it. Bought it used, so I will get a refund tomorrow.

Wallach

Nice, thanks for the heads up Jerk. Not only did this thing fix my problem, Radeon Pro is a straight up boss program. Not sure why I have never found this thing before.

Grayman

K2Valor said:
I'm sorry GAF.. I tried playing this for the past 3 hours and I just couldn't get into it. Dialogue was really cool, had a really cool beard guy, was ready to start doing some stealth action. And I just couldn't get into stealth gameplay. Now I'm all for bad stealth dynamics, I fucking loved Tenchu Z for that reason alone, but this one was not HORRIBLE, but not GOOD so I just couldn't take it. Bought it used, so I will get a refund tomorrow.
you could try playing a different approach. The awareness skill you get a bit later in the stealth line alerts you to enemies kind of like metal gear does, at some point it is always on passively, that may make the stealth more passable for you. Otherwise you can run in guns blazing with your cool beard guy.

Grayman said:
There is not an NG+ but there is a Veteran character class that starts with a lot of points and can raise skills to six at start(vs 3). I am not sure if you get Vet for finishing with any class or if you had to play on recruit (which would have given you fewer starting stats)
Bah :(

I wish NG+ was in every RPG.

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
Nah, if you beat the game in Recruit, which starts you off with no points in any skill, you unlock Veteran. As a Veteran you start with 3 points under every skill. However, you can reset these points so you have like a pool of 50 or so to place in whatever you want. You are still limited by your overall level so you can't start with max Stealth, but you can save these points for when they do begin to open up.

X26

Banned
anyone have a good youtube of the dialouge? I know the syste used is supposed to be really good and I'd like to see it for myself

Just finished this tonight. Overall a very fun game, but with as many flaws as positive aspects. For example:

I liked how it was designed a lot around stealth, which is extremely satisfying. Reminded me of the days of Metal Gear Solid when I cleared out an entire enemy base without raising an eyebrow. It's been a long time since I dedicated so much time to stealth as this. However, the A.I. was dodgy at times, the game often forced you in to combat regardless of your overall approach to the missions and as a result of having a stealth character that was more frustrating than it should've been, especially during boss battles.

The dialogue options were really well done, requiring you to think on the spot, and with everything I said I had a clear idea of how it impacted my mission or my relationship with certain people. Probably better than Mass Effect in this regard. But, unlike Mass Effect, I didn't care about the overall narrative at all. Too mant factions, too many plots, and overall nothing driving me to a satisfying finish.

Etc etc

There was so much potential in this game. If they do a sequel, it could probably be great. As it stands, this is just a good game, albeit a very enjoyable one.

Popeck

I started the game a few weeks ago and almost completed the Moscow part. I have to agree with Foliorum Viridum. At first, the game felt a tad clunky, but investing AP points to the stealth skills really paid of, and sneaking around is fun. The dialogue system is great and different from the traditional "okay, let's go through every possible dialogue tree here" seen in Mass Effect.

I was especially "fuck yeah" when I confronted Brayko and Autograph's Turn up the Radio started to play. "Fuck yeah" changed to "what the fuck is this shit" pretty quickly when I realised how horribly the boss fight was designed. Thus far I've encountered two really difficult situations. Well, the first one wasn't that difficult, if you understood to buy and take the sniper rifle option, but I did try the fight a few times without it and almost raged out.

Still, I want to continue the game as soon as I get back to my place next year.

Just beat it. Overall a good game. I love how you aren't given unlimited time to make dialogue choices.

I really wish SEGA would give Obsidian a chance with a sequel. Shame the ship has sailed.

D

Deleted member 10571

Unconfirmed Member
So I have weird graphics errors, may have sth to do with shadowing. Weird polygons on most characters sticking out.

Running on a 3,2ghz phenom x4, radeon hd6850 and 4gigs of RAM. I never owned an ATI card before, anything I have to do while updating drivers?

anddo0

Hydrogen Bluebird said:
really want to get the PS3 version of this game but I fear it may not be worth the money.

I bought it for $10 from Gamefly. If you can find it in the $10-$20 range it's definitely worth it.

I just got a holiday sale copy for $20 and already this game is a weird mxz of triumph and failure. It's clear they tried really hard...almost too hard making this game have a ton of different feature and mechanics they wanted to seemlessly blend across action and RPG games. It's also already clear that they didn't hit the mark and there are some issue I'm having with the way things work. That aside, I'm sure I'm going to go through this game at least twice over the next month or so just so see how it works and to see if I can really make my own character well.

dofry

That's "Dr." dofry to you.
Alpha Protocol PS3 & 360 version are on sale in Play.com for 14€ (9.99 monty python currency).

Top Bottom