• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

firehawk12 said:
Man, this thread reminds me that I should get back to the game. I can't believe I'm slogging through DA2 but I haven't finished AP.

Of course, I just need to learn to let go of the achievements. The way they're designed makes it interminable for anyone with OCD. :lol
Loved it my first time through but now I'm trying for the achievements which are rather glitchy, when the 'sneak through 3 levels' achievement didn't pop I stopped playing even though I was still having a great time. Hoping to get back into it once I clear out my backlog and stop buying games.

Snuggler said:
I tried playing this but I could not wrap my mind around the hacking minigame. I eventually had to just quit the game because I couldn't proceed. I've never felt so retarded.
I only have problems with the static numbers one if I remember correctly, they were no worse than ME2's. Need to put a fair few points into the Hacking Attribute before it gets easy but when it does it is REALLY easy.

Plays like it was developed in Eastern Europe but has tons of great ideas going on. Russian Investigation was poor but the rest of the game was fantastic especially Taipei. Wish they could have offered new investigations as DLC, turn it into something like a TV series in every month have a new location to work through. Certainly my favourite Obsidian game, hopefully they can do another new IP someday.

Iron_Scimitar said:
Just picked this game up from Gamestop. Fuckin kid behind the counter says, "Dude, i cant let you buy Alpha Protocol. Its horrible." SMH...I've been playing the game all day today and I really like it so far. Im a sucker for esponiage games and this game really fits my style.

I came into some money for my birthday a few days ago, so naturally the first thing I wanted to do was go buy Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and then I happened to notice Alpha Protocol at the TRU (this game seems a bit hard to find here) and despite what I had heard I always wanted to play it, and this same scenario happened to me. The only guy working the R Zone area or whatever it's called now looked at me like I had three heads. I'm past the Saudi Arabia parts of the game, and it has a few hiccups but, I dunno, I'm kinda diggin' this game.

Patryn

Gooster said:
I came into some money for my birthday a few days ago, so naturally the first thing I wanted to do was go buy Marvel vs. Capcom 3 and then I happened to notice Alpha Protocol at the TRU (this game seems a bit hard to find here) and despite what I had heard I always wanted to play it, and this same scenario happened to me. The only guy working the R Zone area or whatever it's called now looked at me like I had three heads. I'm past the Saudi Arabia parts of the game, and it has a few hiccups but, I dunno, I'm kinda diggin' this game.

AP has this horrible reputation for whatever reason. I think it's because it came out so close to ME2, which was an action game masquerading as an RPG. AP is most definitely an RPG masquerading as an action game.

Honestly, it's one of my favorite games of this generation. In fact that seems to be a theme for me this gen: Flawed gems. I guess I appreciate great ideas more than flawless execution.

Deadly Cyclone

Pride of Iowa State
Patryn said:
AP has this horrible reputation for whatever reason. I think it's because it came out so close to ME2, which was an action game masquerading as an RPG. AP is most definitely an RPG masquerading as an action game.

Honestly, it's one of my favorite games of this generation. In fact that seems to be a theme for me this gen: Flawed gems. I guess I appreciate great ideas more than flawless execution.

It is a great game. While I love Mass Effect 2, the conversation system and how it changes actual events is the best I have seen in any game in Alpha Protocol. Bioware could learn a thing or two from the game.

I cannot, for the life of me, get past this segment in the Ruins in Italy where I have to defend a computer being hacked. I manage to kill all the bad guys and Mina says "I'm almost there" and nothing happens. I've reloaded about five times now. WTF?

Patryn

Gooster said:
I cannot, for the life of me, get past this segment in the Ruins in Italy where I have to defend a computer being hacked. I manage to kill all the bad guys and Mina says "I'm almost there" and nothing happens. I've reloaded about five times now. WTF?

There's probably another guy somewhere, or a bugged spawn. Just make sure you thoroughly look for a straggler.

I got this at the beginning of September or so. I expected nothing, but it turned into one of my favorite video games ever. I even LOVED the gameplay.

Such a wonderful experience after being so damn disappointed in Mass Effect 2.

Sober

Gooster said:
The best thing to do, regardless of how you want to play it is at least get Passive Awareness (it's like 6 or 7 points into stealth) so you basically get radar mode.

Hyunkel6

The Mana Legend said:
I expected nothing, but it turned into one of my favorite video games ever. I even LOVED the gameplay.
Same here. It's been sitting on my shelf for a while now, and I decided to give it a try 3 days ago. It's been the only game I've been playing since then.

I went with stealth/pistol/techniques as most gaffers recommended. The conversation system and how it drastically affects the entire story is the best I've seen so far. I love that I only have seconds to make a decision. It really adds to the tension.

I think I'll immediately do a second playthrough once I'm done with this one. I can't even remember the last time I did that for a game.

so glad to see this thread and some positive stuff, as i have this in the mail for 360 right now. Sounds like it'll be just the type of game I like.

Patryn

The Mana Legend said:
I got this at the beginning of September or so. I expected nothing, but it turned into one of my favorite video games ever. I even LOVED the gameplay.

Such a wonderful experience after being so damn disappointed in Mass Effect 2.

Between this and Mass Effect 1, it's clear that I prefer ambition in a game to execution.

Because I love this game so much.

Sober

I read somewhere in one level, you were given the choice of X or Y and I was told, but could never find, that you could
save both instead of sacrificing one for the other if you were good enough
, but for the life of me, I can't find it on the AP wiki or anywhere.
It's not Rome, is it?

Where exactly is it in the game?

Yeah it's super vague. =\

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Sober said:
I read somewhere in one level, you were given the choice of X or Y and I was told, but could never find, that you could
save both instead of sacrificing one for the other if you were good enough
, but for the life of me, I can't find it on the AP wiki or anywhere.
It's not Rome, is it?

Where exactly is it in the game?

Yeah it's super vague. =\
It's in Moscow.

Sober said:
The best thing to do, regardless of how you want to play it is at least get Passive Awareness (it's like 6 or 7 points into stealth) so you basically get radar mode.

Is the Awareness perk in the Stealth rank? If it is, then I most likely have it since I have maybe two slots left to fill in the perk so sneaking throughout the game combined with Expert Shadow Operative is nearly a breeze.

I've done Taipei and Moscow, and Rome is the only area I have left in addition to whatever comes after and the endgame. This game is pretty damned flawed, no doubt, and you can honestly abuse your way through some of the game, but I can't help but at least admire the team for trying something like this. Even if there is Mass Effect, how often do you get to play a fucking SPY/ESPIONAGE RPG set in the present and not in space or the Dark Ages or something? Throughout my Google searches for certain info, I tended to notice that although the reviewers mostly hated it, the people who BOUGHT it seemed not to have too many problems with it.

All the way through, I keep thinking Alpha Protocol is how James Bond games SHOULD play instead of the Point A to Point B shooting (although I imagine GoldenEye Wii has objectives like the N64 game?) but, you know, just fix some of the bugs.

graywolf323

I really enjoyed this game even with all its flaws

kinda have the itch to play through it again though it's going to take forever to redownload it on Steam (awful internet here at Cedar Point in Ohio, got a summer job up here)

LastWindow said:
Can the PC version be registered on Steam?

no

kunonabi

I rented the game off of Gamefly awhile back and loved it. Most of the complaints about the game are really overblown. Headshots worked just fine for me and The texture pop in was a little irritating but didn't bother me nearly as much as RDR.

Modeled my character after Barney Ross and had a blast. I'm probably going to pick it up in the near future and see how different a replay is.

thisisjimmy

Neo Member
Patryn said:
AP has this horri
ble reputation for whatever reason. I think it's because it came out so close to ME2, which was an action game masquerading as an RPG. AP is most definitely an RPG masquerading as an action game.

I know. right... and I don't think I'm the only one who is infuriated (kind of exagerating here...) to see the like of Dragon Age 2 which have most of the same flaws without the qualities that made AP good (like the mallebiilty, coherent story and better writing) score much higher than APs shitty 60's. Gaming "journalism" for the win...

Complistic

thisisjimmy said:
I know. right... and I don't think I'm the only one who is infuriated (kind of exagerating here...) to see the like of Dragon Age 2 which have most of the same flaws without the qualities that made AP good (like the mallebiilty, coherent story and better writing) score much higher than APs shitty 60's. Gaming "journalism" for the win...

But my bullets aren't going where I want them to all the time.

Gvaz

Banned
Complistic said:
But my bullets aren't going where I want them to all the time.
Don't fire a real gun then.

Btw, Fallout 3/New Vegas and Deus Ex do this, except you can get better with skillpoints. I never had any issue with them. Mass effect 2 as well has spread for weapons but generally not for single shot weapons.

Then of course ME2 had hitscan weapons like the arc gun.

Van Buren

Gvaz said:
Don't fire a real gun then.

Btw, Fallout 3/New Vegas and Deus Ex do this, except you can get better with skillpoints. I never had any issue with them. Mass effect 2 as well has spread for weapons but generally not for single shot weapons.

Then of course ME2 had hitscan weapons like the arc gun.

And this is the main reason why I prefer stat-modified shooting in RPGs which are over 10-15 hours in length. Shooting dudes for 35+ hours using the same basic mechanics in Mass Effect 2 got incredibly repetitive. At least in Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Bloodlines and Deus Ex, every dude you kill contributes towards leveling up - thereby leading to better accuracy.

As a result, those games really captured the feeling of going from 'being lucky to hit the side of a barn' to 'your crosshair is death'. The carrot-on-a-stick design in stat-based shooting appeals to me a lot more than the very basic shooting in ME2, given the amount of combat.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
Van Buren said:
And this is the main reason why I prefer stat-modified shooting in RPGs which are over 10-15 hours in length. Shooting dudes for 35+ hours using the same basic mechanics in Mass Effect 2 got incredibly repetitive. At least in Mass Effect 1, Alpha Protocol, Bloodlines and Deus Ex, every dude you kill contributes towards leveling up - thereby leading to better accuracy.

As a result, those games really captured the feeling of going from 'being lucky to hit the side of a barn' to 'your crosshair is death'. The carrot-on-a-stick design in stat-based shooting appeals to me a lot more than the very basic shooting in ME2, given the amount of combat.

Ehhhh very much on the opposite side of the spectrum with this. Arbitrarily being able not being able to hit stuff up until halfway through the game is never a pleasant experience for me. It artificially lengthens and slows down the combat and I feel it's almost always there to mask poor shooting mechanics. Almost being forced to having to slot all your points into aiming also feels like a waste when I feel I could be spending it into more unique skills. I played through Alpha Protocol and enjoyed almost all aspects of the game besides the gunplay.

Sober

Nils said:
Ehhhh very much on the opposite side of the spectrum with this. Arbitrarily being able not being able to hit stuff up until halfway through the game is never a pleasant experience for me. It artificially lengthens and slows down the combat and I feel it's almost always there to mask poor shooting mechanics. Almost being forced to having to slot all your points into aiming also feels like a waste when I feel I could be spending it into more unique skills. I played through Alpha Protocol and enjoyed almost all aspects of the game besides the gunplay.
From what I remember though, there is a skill based and dice roll component. You can still pull off headshot+critical hits if time allows for it. It's not like if you have a shot that's perfectly line up completely miss just because you have a lack of skill in it. But if you end up panicking and having to slam the trigger like a madman, then you might miss if they aren't in the circle because of the dice roll component.

Even on my first run where no weapon skill except pistols was being levelled, I carried around an assault rifle just for the scope. Zoom in, wait for the cursor to line up, pull the trigger and even a headshot with 0 skill points into it will stop pretty much everyone. Granted it takes like 5 seconds to line up at that point, it's loud as hell, but it works just as well. The skills give you both abilities, tighten the reticle, and allow for quicker critical hits.

I know it's dumb to ask people to be patient in a shooter, but yeah, it's also an RPG when it comes to combat.

Van Buren

Nils said:

The side-effect of having a stat-based system is that shooting is not the only way to solve problems - I guess that's the reason why I'm partial to it. Early on, the developers have to take into account that shooting is a lottery with lots of misses, and so there are multiple paths to get through a level. ME2 was a linear shooter from start to finish, since it's shooting mechanics were completely aiming-based, whereas Deus Ex, Bloodlines, AP all have multiple non-combat solutions typically. This could very well have cropped up due to the shooting feeling 'off' until one invests a few points into it.

AP's shooting didn't feel as random as say, Deus Ex or Bloodlines, since we had that circular reticule informing us about the spread of the shots. Plus, there were ways to decrease the spread on that aiming circle manually. I do agree that the misses can be a bit too much at lower levels in some of these games - maybe having a competent level of accuracy while starting out is a trade-off ? I guess we'll never know.

D

Deleted member 13876

Unconfirmed Member
It wasn't that bad in Alpha Protocol to be fair, but I still dislike that sort of game mechanic in general.

Ellis Kim

Banned
I just played bought this on amazon a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I found the ending kind of funny, though, in that
MGS1/RE4 kind of way

Its weird that you can get points for Sis, but its not like you ever go do anything with her.

Bebpo

Banned
Ellis Kim said:
I just played bought this on amazon a few weeks ago, and I loved it. I found the ending kind of funny, though, in that
MGS1/RE4 kind of way

Its weird that you can get points for Sis, but its not like you ever go do anything with her.

Probably a storyline that had to be cut for time/budget. Maybe we would have gotten more sis as dlc if the game hadn't been abandoned by Sega. :(

Gvaz

Banned
Sober said:
Except WASD during the hacking minigame.
You get used to it. A little tweaking and a familiarity and it's not so bad. It just wasn't implemented in the best way. Had Sega not abandoned ship based on bad reviews (it wasn't selling horrible) Obsidian might have patched it.

kai3345

Banned
Jumping back into this on PC after playing about half (and selling for reason I don't quite remember) the 360 version.

While my computer stutters the game occasionally then game runs at a smooth frametrate at near max settings most of the time.

Just beat Saudi and am currently on the mission in Taipei where i have to kill the defectors of that one guys gang.

XiaNaphryz

kai3345 said:
Jumping back into this on PC after playing about half (and selling for reason I don't quite remember) the 360 version.

While my computer stutters the game occasionally then game runs at a smooth frametrate at near max settings most of the time.

Just beat Saudi and am currently on the mission in Taipei where i have to kill the defectors of that one guys gang.
Don't forget you can jump back and forth through all the hubs and aren't limited to staying just on one. This lets you level up more and be better prepared for the harder missions towards the end of the hubs.

I just got it, and its a very underrated game. We really need more spy games. Playing as an SAS agent in COD doesn't count. Spys just don't blow up everything in their path.

Nils said:
It wasn't that bad in Alpha Protocol to be fair, but I still dislike that sort of game mechanic in general.

AP may be the worst offender with this issue. You can literally miss someone standing right next to you, even if it is difficult. The game had a lot of issues but combat is by far the worst mostly because of stat aiming.

That's why you just go stealth and basically beat the game with your eyes closed. I would have loved to see what this game would have been like if they had more time and money.

Van Buren

Ickman3400 said:
AP may be the worst offender with this issue. You can literally miss someone standing right next to you, even if it is difficult. The game had a lot of issues but combat is by far the worst mostly because of stat aiming.

That's why you just go stealth and basically beat the game with your eyes closed. I would have loved to see what this game would have been like if they had more time and money.

I haven't experienced anything of that sort in my playthroughs - the bullets always hit the target as long as no part of the aiming circle was outside the target. Add in the fact that we can taking the stat-based component out of the equation by lining up precise shots, and it seemed to be the best compromise between an action and rpg game system.

I just played this game on PC, only 2 or 3 mission in, but it's really fun. the combat takes some getting used to if you're expecting standard shooter, but I got used to it quickly. I really enjoy playing stealth, I often load checkpoint and replay that section again when I got noticed by enemies. but that's just because I like stealth game. I've been doing just fine the mandatory firefight.

how long is the game? I still have some other game in my backlog, wondering if I should finish Alpha Protocol first if it's not too long.

krzy123

Callibretto said:
I just played this game on PC, only 2 or 3 mission in, but it's really fun. the combat takes some getting used to if you're expecting standard shooter, but I got used to it quickly. I really enjoy playing stealth, I often load checkpoint and replay that section again when I got noticed by enemies. but that's just because I like stealth game. I've been doing just fine the mandatory firefight.

how long is the game? I still have some other game in my backlog, wondering if I should finish Alpha Protocol first if it's not too long.

its pretty short, I played it really slowly (doing stealth), finished in 20 hrs or so, but I'm overly cautious when applying stealth tactics (though once you get the advanced stealth stuff, its a breeze)

Bebpo said:
Probably a storyline that had to be cut for time/budget. Maybe we would have gotten more sis as dlc if the game hadn't been abandoned by Sega. :(

Yeah, I have to admit back when I played this game I was intrigued by Sis. But they had to go and tease us with the mute suicide girl and then give us nothing. C'est la vie. We will never know what they truly intended. A shame. A real shame.

kodt

Banned
I started playing this on PC and I am enjoying it, but I'm not sure if I will finish. I have completed the Middle East and I am on the boss for Taipei.

The Good:

-Stealth Takedowns
-Melee Combat is powerful if leveled
-RPG Elements and Perks keep it interesting
-RPG in a modern setting is refreshing
-Choices seem to affect more than just conversation later in the game.

The Bad:

-The penalty for setting off an alarm is usually not that bad. As a stealth character, even if I screw up and set off the alarm I can usually just run up pop Fury and melee 5-6 guys and then walk back and disable the alarm. Makes me wonder why I even try sometimes.
-The bosses are not balanced for stealth, you can beat them, but it isn't fun.
-The level design is kind of bland, if this game had no RPG elements and was more linear like Splinter Cell it would have sucked bad.
-Combat is a little janky at times

Honestly I don't really care about the storyline. I just don't have much motivation to finish the game. I have a good feel for the gameplay and I enjoyed it for a while. The issues really held this game back from being great.

Does anyone else with the PC version (D2D if that matters) have a problem where you can't load any save games? I can start a new game fine but when I try to load a save it just hangs at the loading screen. :angry:

XiaNaphryz

kodt said:
I started playing this on PC and I am enjoying it, but I'm not sure if I will finish. I have completed the Middle East and I am on the boss for Taipei.

The Good:

-Stealth Takedowns
-Melee Combat is powerful if leveled
-RPG Elements and Perks keep it interesting
-RPG in a modern setting is refreshing
-Choices seem to affect more than just conversation later in the game.

The Bad:

-The penalty for setting off an alarm is usually not that bad. As a stealth character, even if I screw up and set off the alarm I can usually just run up pop Fury and melee 5-6 guys and then walk back and disable the alarm. Makes me wonder why I even try sometimes.
-The bosses are not balanced for stealth, you can beat them, but it isn't fun.
-The level design is kind of bland, if this game had no RPG elements and was more linear like Splinter Cell it would have sucked bad.
-Combat is a little janky at times

Honestly I don't really care about the storyline. I just don't have much motivation to finish the game. I have a good feel for the gameplay and I enjoyed it for a while. The issues really held this game back from being great.
You probably should've went back and forth through all the hubs rather than go all the way to the end of a single one. That way you'll be ridiculously overpowered stealth-wise and the bosses would be a pushover.

Emitan

I'm planning on finally starting a playthough of this game when finals are over. I've heard that bosses are too hard when you focus on stealth, is this a valid concern?

Hixx

Billychu said:
I'm planning on finally starting a playthough of this game when finals are over. I've heard that bosses are too hard when you focus on stealth, is this a valid concern?

Last one is, though I don't know if its considered a boss; maybe I'm just terrible at the game. There's also another that I had problems with but just went somewhere else and levelled up and came back and destroyed him.

krzy123

Billychu said:

not if you have chain shot (pistols), then if you add Brilliance ... yeah ...

Top Bottom