• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

hemtae

Snuggler said:
Still playing and loving this game. I've hit the first rough spot though. It's a boss battle (80's guy) and it feels like I just hit a wall. I've kicked ass with stealth through most of the game, but this guy takes a ton of damage while wrecking my shit with a few stabs (which I can't seem to run away from) and his scoped weapon. Once his minions show up and I start to take damage from all sides, I'm done for. This is only like 1/3rd of the way into the fight.

Is there any trick to this fight or is it just really brutal for stealth players?

Go to Taipei
Run when he cokes up
Use the health dispenser on the wall
Hide like a bitch

MaddenNFL64

Snuggler said:
Still playing and loving this game. I've hit the first rough spot though. It's a boss battle (80's guy) and it feels like I just hit a wall. I've kicked ass with stealth through most of the game, but this guy takes a ton of damage while wrecking my shit with a few stabs (which I can't seem to run away from) and his scoped weapon. Once his minions show up and I start to take damage from all sides, I'm done for. This is only like 1/3rd of the way into the fight.

Is there any trick to this fight or is it just really brutal for stealth players?

pistol power & steel bullets. Crack his head open. Helps to get a crit off first then use the power so his armor is down.

edit: just do mine. It's sure fire & fast as shit. Trust me.

Shiggy said:
Just started the game...the hacking minigame was awful, the rest did not impress me much either. Two hours in and I don't think I will keep on playing.

I hated the hacking game at first too, it took me like 15 times before my eyes adjusted. No problems after that and I kinda liked it overall.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Got the bastard. Just had to retreat behind cover near the med station when his troops came out, and I'd run circles around the middle to avoid his melee charge. Flashbang + focused shots to the head did a lot of DMG.

Seriously, though, I've been enarmored with this game. It's so damn good. I'll have to make a LTTP thread when I'm done.

MaddenNFL64

Proposed Law said:
I hated the hacking game at first too, it took me like 15 times before my eyes adjusted. No problems after that and I kinda liked it overall.

This game leaves a bad first impression. It's fatal flaw.

But I love it, but I also loved FFXI so...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Snuggler said:

I played through all the hubs simultaneously, if you have the right Taipei contact you can make that boss fight a lot easier by poisoning his coke supply.

Just finished it, good game.

Last Mission spoiler
Mina died in the last mission because I went into the wrong door and couldn't go back... stupid ^^

pakkit

Banned
Tryckser said:

Last Mission spoiler
Mina died in the last mission because I went into the wrong door and couldn't go back... stupid ^^
That happened to me too, and I was like..."nope," and restarted the mission.

Gen X

Trust no one. Eat steaks.
Did an intercity swap for my copy of Split Second for this game back in July last year but got a RROD by the time AP arrived so lent it out. Now it's coming back to me, can't wait!

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
XiaNaphryz said:
I played through all the hubs simultaneously, if you have the right Taipei contact you can make that boss fight a lot easier by poisoning his coke supply.

Damn, since I'm LTTP I haven't been able to compare notes with people, but the branching paths are pretty impressive. Next playthrough I'm gonna execute everyone instead of sparing them like I have so far. I'll go with cold, ruthless Thorton instead of bearded, smart ass Thorton.

So many choices!

I had this on the Xbox when it came out but it was buggy as asshole. Is the PC version anymore cleaned up? Was really fun, but couldnt get over some of the stupid shit that kept happening.

Van Buren

Saren is Bad said:
I had this on the Xbox when it came out but it was buggy as asshole. Is the PC version anymore cleaned up? Was really fun, but couldnt get over some of the stupid shit that kept happening.

This is anecdotal evidence, but the PC release was very stable for me. Had not a single crash over the 20-30 hours I put into the game.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Van Buren said:
This is anecdotal evidence, but the PC release was very stable for me. Had not a single crash over the 20-30 hours I put into the game.

Same here, I heard a lot about a lack of polish but no crashes or bugs so far. Plus, I'm sure it runs a ton better on PC (obviously).

MaddenNFL64

Snuggler said:
Damn, since I'm LTTP I haven't been able to compare notes with people, but the branching paths are pretty impressive. Next playthrough I'm gonna execute everyone instead of sparing them like I have so far. I'll go with cold, ruthless Thorton instead of bearded, smart ass Thorton.

So many choices!

I was gonna do this, but when it came to killing Surkov (this game is old, i'm not gonna spoiler tag this shit), I cracked because Mina lost 2 trust points on it. Crazy amount for one choice.

I bought the game based on the reactions in this thread and I'm really glad I did. Dialogue system is great, characters are all interesting, and the boss fights are mostly well done. The game is balanced pretty well to support the multiple play-styles allowed by customization. I think the best part is how dynamic it feels. Both the choices and trust you've built with other characters clearly affects the course of the game frequently.

I'm really befuddled how this game didn't review better. I seem to remember most people complaining about technical issues being the major problem, but it hardly hampered the experience at all. The occasional visual glitch was about all I encountered.

Van Buren

Jerkapotamus said:
I'm really befuddled how this game didn't review better. I seem to remember most people complaining about technical issues being the major problem, but it hardly hampered the experience at all. The occasional visual glitch was about all I encountered.

Reviewers probably expected a shooter with cooldowns like ME2. Instead, they got a game that was closer to Deus Ex with the multiple ways to play through the game. Add in the fact that it lacked marketing hype, and the reviews just buried the game. A real pity, since the game has one of the most ambitious narrative structures (with all the reactivity) I've seen in gaming.

Acosta

Kyaw said:
Bought this game off the recent thehut sale.
What do i need to know/do before the first playthrough?

Invest on stealth/guns route (I like stealth/melee route too, but it's more personal and you will find some slightly hard parts). Have fun.

Van Buren

Kyaw said:
Bought this game off the recent thehut sale.
What do i need to know/do before the first playthrough?

The game's defined by the choices and consequences. Don't play it like a shooter as you would ME2. Stealth and pistols is an overpowered combo. Never stay in one mission hub for too long. Pick a couple of skills to max out - do not try for a jack of all trades build.

That should get you started.

Jerkapotamus said:
I bought the game based on the reactions in this thread and I'm really glad I did. Dialogue system is great, characters are all interesting, and the boss fights are mostly well done. The game is balanced pretty well to support the multiple play-styles allowed by customization. I think the best part is how dynamic it feels. Both the choices and trust you've built with other characters clearly affects the course of the game frequently.

The major problem with AP is that it allows you to set yourself up with a seriously broken build, and that it doesn't have much choice in the matter because 9 out of every 10 builds in the game are broken in one way or another.

Ellis Kim

Banned
Tryckser said:

Last Mission spoiler
Made a save there
because Scarlet is hotter than Mina, lol

Patryn

XiaNaphryz said:

Or you can save him for the very end, then Master Chainshot him with steelcore bullets.

He never even got to his second pattern my second playthrough.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Going into the final mission with Heck as my handler, I don't want the game to end so soon.

Hope the last boss isn't as bad as some people say.

Van Buren

Snuggler said:
Going into the final mission with Heck as my handler, I don't want the game to end so soon.

Hope the last boss isn't as bad as some people say.

The final mission has a lot of reactivity. Just brilliant all around. If you have the pistols skill, just stock up on steelcore bullets.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Tryckser said:
Last Mission spoiler

This just happened to me. I didn't know which door was which and as soon as I went through one (the wrong one), it saved a checkpoint.

Oh well, at least I
got to plough her before that happened.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
Done, that helicopter pissed me off though. Ended with my bro
Heck chillin on a boat with me.

So, there is no NG+ right? Then why the Heck was I collecting all that money and those armor/weapon mods in the final mission? Kind of strange.

Snuggler said:

So, there is no NG+ right? Then why the Heck was I collecting all that money and those armor/weapon mods in the final mission? Kind of strange.

I think instagib bosses on a game like this is a terrible idea. Especially the way the boss level is laid out. Having all those guys around plus the thing that can one shot you is awful.

Of course, one of the flaws in this game in general is that the boss fights are terrible and generally not very fun.

hemtae

Snuggler said:

Probably for a potential sequel carry over

The closest thing to a NG+ is the veteran class

Stallion Free

Cock Encumbered
jim-jam bongs said:
Don't forget recruit mode, aka NG-
I think you have to beat it with recruit mode to unlock veteran.

Also, in vet mode when you start the game you get 3 points in every skill, but those can all be reallocated. You can't max things out, but you can set the points aside for later.

Cmagus

I am on my first play through and I am doing it on hard. So far its a really fun game and pretty interesting.I am near the end and there are a few things I wish they had done better unfortunately.I wish they would have though of better game play for those who want to do stealth in this game.I started out and through almost the entire first area I used nothing but take downs and it was a ton of fun but I found while nearing the end of the first chapter that the game basically becomes a shooter.

Sneaking has some cool things and my stealth is almost maxed out but it just seems like an after thought after awhile I find using the cloaking and taking out to easy as even when taking a guy out you can run to the next even if they are close to take them down.I wish they would have laid out things a bit better part way through it just boils down to small room full of guys its hardly fun for stealthing ans the fact I really pushed my stats in that direction some fights have been incredibly tough do to low weapon stats for my guy.

Also I wish they would have let you redo some of the conversation things because some I rather have picked something else and on one occasion someone was talking to me and I missed one and was too late to hit the button by time I looked back and lost rep because of it.I just wish the autosave would keep the last two you got.

Other than that its been good save for the bugs, lots of game freezing and glitches but those aside I am enjoying it I should finish it up tomorrow.

Stallion Free said:
I think you have to beat it with recruit mode to unlock veteran.

Also, in vet mode when you start the game you get 3 points in every skill, but those can all be reallocated. You can't max things out, but you can set the points aside for later.

Ah right, I must have done three runs then - regular, recruit and veteran, although I think I stopped the vet run before I completed it again. Recruit is the most funny for all the custom dialogue options where you get to hear Thornton being all green.

Salazar

Hello.

Keen to play the game. Bought a disc copy. Installed on Windows 7 64 bit. GTX 570.

The licence key didn't work, but I knew beforehand that the activation was broken. I downloaded the patch, but it keeps insisting that it can't open because PhysXExtensions.dll is missing from my computer.

But it's not.

Anybody have any ideas ?

Salazar

Patched game to 1.1, and now it doesn't give me the PhysXExtensions.dll error message anymore.

It just says "Alpha Protocol has stopped working".

I do want to play this game. I wish SEGA and Obsidian wanted me to play it.

ArjanN

Salazar said:
Patched game to 1.1, and now it doesn't give me the PhysXExtensions.dll error message anymore.

It just says "Alpha Protocol has stopped working".

I do want to play this game. I wish SEGA and Obsidian wanted me to play it.

Try verifying local files in steam and updating your drivers.

Cmagus

So I have the last mission for the last two areas I need to complete and I cannot beat the final bosses on either of them.I have been trying for like a week now.Im playing on hard but like I said before I geared my guy more towards stealth which was stupid cause this game becomes nothing more than a shooter by the end.The two bosses destroy me and I don't do much damage on the bosses and by time I duck down their shields are up again let alone they both just rush you and beat you down in no time and you can't do nothing.

I decided to look up some videos but it seems like every single person I have seen playing hard uses that focused shot thing unfortunately mine only allows me to do 2 shots had I known I would have leveled that up and I am no where near a next upgrade level it's frustrating.

hemtae

Cmagus said:
So I have the last mission for the last two areas I need to complete and I cannot beat the final bosses on either of them.I have been trying for like a week now.Im playing on hard but like I said before I geared my guy more towards stealth which was stupid cause this game becomes nothing more than a shooter by the end.The two bosses destroy me and I don't do much damage on the bosses and by time I duck down their shields are up again let alone they both just rush you and beat you down in no time and you can't do nothing.

I decided to look up some videos but it seems like every single person I have seen playing hard uses that focused shot thing unfortunately mine only allows me to do 2 shots had I known I would have leveled that up and I am no where near a next upgrade level it's frustrating.

Use some sort of armor piercing rounds

Patryn

Cmagus said:

Chain-shot + steel core. Make sure they are crit head shots. Then immediately drop into stealth mode. Get out of the way, line up your shot, rinse and repeat.

Cmagus

I have been problem is my chain shot is only at 2 (I said multishot I meant chain) and I cannot get any more xp to increase I wish I would have checked online first.I don't know even with armor piercing rounds I still get my ass handed to me lol ah well I will figure it out soon enough.The major problem is all the good skills I should have I don't and I have no way of getting them.

Grayman

Cmagus said:
I have been problem is my chain shot is only at 2 (I said multishot I meant chain) and I cannot get any more xp to increase I wish I would have checked online first.I don't know even with armor piercing rounds I still get my ass handed to me lol ah well I will figure it out soon enough.The major problem is all the good skills I should have I don't and I have no way of getting them.
Which two bosses are you at? Brayko, Marburg, or Deng?

A general tip you might try is shooting or bombing down the shield first then using chain shot to do the guaranteed health damage. If you have brilliance you can also reset your skill timers and repeat.

Bumping this ancient thread. I was hoping some of you that've played the game can help me with a story-related question.

Keep in mind that I'm right at the start of the game.

The game opens with a commercial jetliner being shot down by a missiles. Then there's a shot of a guy in a suit and your character in the background, and the suit says, "This was directly your fault" (something along those lines).

The game then flashbacks to 3 months earlier , but everyone is talking about the aircraft being shot down! They're talking about a future event--it makes no sense.

Did I miss something?

D2M15

DAFFY DEUS EGGS
U n i o n 0015 said:
Bumping this ancient thread. I was hoping some of you that've played the game can help me with a story-related question.

Keep in mind that I'm right at the start of the game.

The game opens with a commercial jetliner being shot down by a missiles. Then there's a shot of a guy in a suit and your character in the background, and the suit says, "This was directly your fault" (something along those lines).

The game then flashbacks to 3 months earlier , but everyone is talking about the aircraft being shot down! They're talking about a future event--it makes no sense.

Did I miss something?

You talking to the guy in the suit is the framing narrative - the chronological order is:

1. Jetliner shot down
2. Three months earlier than the conversation - you start here
3. 'Now' - talking to the guy in the suit.

So the events of the game are introduced as a conversation taking place at the end of the game, while your actions during the flashbacks alter the conversation, and your candour with the guy in the suit also plays into the conclusion. You'll get used to it, it's a load of fun.

Top Bottom