• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alpha Protocol |OT| Bourne, Avellone, Denton, and the Agency's Sagacious Secrets

Yasae

Banned
Hmm. I tried all those tweaks and basically it made my saves not load at all. Not sure which exact tweak is doing it, though.

Thankfully I did have backups of the config. Be careful....

Gvaz

Banned
Yasae said:
Hmm. I tried all those tweaks and basically it made my saves not load at all. Not sure which exact tweak is doing it, though.

Thankfully I did have backups of the config. Be careful....
None of those tweaks should interfere with your saves o_O

I just beat it and I absolutely fucking LOVED it. Looking back at my Top 10 from last year, it definitely would have charted had I beat it in time.

Mind you all, I did go the supposedly cheesy stealth-pistol route, but I had absolutely no problem with any aspect of the game. I liked the characters, enjoyed the writing, loved the dialogue system, and had a hell of a fun time playing it. And despite all the infamy surrounding the boss fights in the game, I never died more than once on any of them (and didn't even die at all on some of them).

Gotta echo some of the sentiments in here and say this is probably the most criminally underrated game of this generation off the top of my head.

Good shit, Obsidian.

Yeah this game is criminally underrated. Revolutionary innovations here, the game industry is worse off because they didn't pay attention to what Avellone and his crew did here

JTran2003

cool my local sears has it for $13 + tax. I wasnt sure if I should get it for I thought people were getting it for cheaper but I think I will stop by again and pick it up tomorrow.

TenshiOni said:
I just beat it and I absolutely fucking LOVED it. Looking back at my Top 10 from last year, it definitely would have charted had I beat it in time.

Mind you all, I did go the supposedly cheesy stealth-pistol route, but I had absolutely no problem with any aspect of the game. I liked the characters, enjoyed the writing, loved the dialogue system, and had a hell of a fun time playing it. And despite all the infamy surrounding the boss fights in the game, I never died more than once on any of them (and didn't even die at all on some of them).

Gotta echo some of the sentiments in here and say this is probably the most criminally underrated game of this generation off the top of my head.

Good shit, Obsidian.

brayko killed me a handful of times.

i love this game and thought they did some great things. on the other hand, i can understand why people complain about it. i hate trouble putting my finger on some of the hollow aspects of this game, but i think some of the environments werent well designed, and a few of the plot points were absurd. fortunately the conversation system, most of the characters, and the general awesomeness of being a spy made up for it.

ussjme

a sequel would be the game of the forever for me. just imagine more open world aspects, more complex characters, dialogue and consequences....

I've always wanted to play this game, but it came out after my 360 had died and I got another one from my nephew and had a HUGE backlog of other games that I had to get to first. Then Steam had their sale this past week and I finally played it with my upgraded PC. I'm glad I waited, personally. 60 fps almost consistently, very smooth and not much glitches.

The choices in this game are many. I am not sure if I'm gonna replay it yet (at the very least, not soon), so I went to the Wiki page, and there was a character that I didn't even meet! So many different paths.I had a lot of fun with this one.

It's funny. Everyone said to put a lot of points into Stealth (which I did) and pistols (which I didn't), but I put more into toughness and martial arts and went hand-to-hand, almost exclusively. It made some boss battles hard (namely the Rome boss), but I enjoyed playing that way. Sure it's unrealistic to get shot as much as I did and still punch everyone, but I had fun.

I'm going to at least play the last checkpoint again, and do the opposite choice and see what happens. Great game.

Card Boy

Banned
I got this game from the Steam sale and it's amazing! I dont get why it has a metascore in the low 70's. I would give it an 8.9 out of 10.

I am a Obsidian fanboy now.

Gvaz

Banned
Yasae said:
*shrugs* Yet I put back the original files and things started working. I'll have to go through one by one.
It could be you accidentally changed something you shouldn't have, or mistyped something.

That's the only thing that I can think of.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
ussjme said:
a sequel would be the game of the forever for me. just imagine more open world aspects, more complex characters, dialogue and consequences....

For some reason when I dream of a sequel, I think of how cool it would be if they went all out with customizing Thorton. The beard + aviators is amazing, but just imagine if they took a cue for Saints Row 2 and let us put him in a fat suit or toddler's clothes (overalls, holding a teddy bear etc).

Man, a sequel could be so good, though. What a shame.

Snuggler said:
For some reason when I dream of a sequel, I think of how cool it would be if they went all out with customizing Thorton. The beard + aviators is amazing, but just imagine if they took a cue for Saints Row 2 and let us put him in a fat suit or toddler's clothes (overalls, holding a teddy bear etc).

not sure if serious

Yasae

Banned
Gvaz said:
It could be you accidentally changed something you shouldn't have, or mistyped something.

That's the only thing that I can think of.
It's UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False. That crashes my game when trying to load saves.

The rest of those are golden, especially the APGame tweaks.

Gvaz

Banned
Yasae said:
It's UseBackgroundLevelStreaming=False. That crashes my game when trying to load saves.

The rest of those are golden, especially the APGame tweaks.
Yeah like I noted, you may not need this if you're using the latest patch. :)

Ferrio

Banned
Been playing, enjoying it so far (Just completed korea). All my points have been in stealth/melee and I just go around choking people to sleep. The stealth at this point is pretty overpowered... going invisible for like 30 seconds and knocking people out infront of their buddy is pretty stupid.... but fun.

The game does have little things that irk me (like how game saves are handled) but overall I'm happy with my purchase.

DTKT

Just finished it.

Pretty amazed by the writing and the story. Gameplay mechanics are sometimes frustrating but overall, I'm quite happy with the package.

Kind of sucks that AP2 will never exist...

Snuggler said:

oh man a spy game with fully customizable disguises along those lines would be awesome. get seen popping heads in the fat suit and it's time to put on the false beard and hawaiian shirt.

it's a shame that statement about no sequel due to metascore.. such short-term vision.

Ferrio

Banned
So, only have Moscow left now.

Just finished rome
I saved the woman, but i didn't like her at all (nor did she like me) so she jetted off all pissed that I saved her.... bitch.

Anyways, I'm at the highest level stealth now... and I think i've broken the game. Pure invisibility was neat at when it lasted like 5 seconds... now I get like 30 seconds walking around snapping necks... and the game is now easy mode. It wasn't very difficult to begin with, but now it's a joke. Even if somehow I get spotted... my jump kicks and melee take people down really really quick.

Rarely had to use my pistol (tranqs when i do), and I have only used a single emp grenade. I hoping there's somewhat a difficulty ramp after moscow...

XiaNaphryz

LATIN, MATRIPEDICABUS, DO YOU SPEAK IT
Ferrio said:
So, only have Moscow left now.

Just finished rome
I saved the woman, but i didn't like her at all (nor did she like me) so she jetted off all pissed that I saved her.... bitch.

Anyways, I'm at the highest level stealth now... and I think i've broken the game. Pure invisibility was neat at when it lasted like 5 seconds... now I get like 30 seconds walking around snapping necks... and the game is now easy mode. It wasn't very difficult to begin with, but now it's a joke. Even if somehow I get spotted... my jump kicks and melee take people down really really quick.

Rarely had to use my pistol (tranqs when i do), and I have only used a single emp grenade. I hoping there's somewhat a difficulty ramp after moscow...
Do you have Brilliance yet? That'll make things even more broken. I think it's technical level 6 or something.

ArjanN

amdnv said:
I completely disagree. The stealth abilities in this game turn your character into a magician. You can make yourself invisible, and you can enter bullet time mode to shoot six people in a row before they even know what's going on. This sort of wizardry is not satisfying to me at all.

I played the game with focus on assault rifles and loved it. Played Recruit/Hard, which makes the enemies deadly enough to keep me on the edge.

Even without the magical invisible powers it really isn't that hard to just sneak up on people and then use a takedown/shoot them in the back of the head with a silenced pistol. The enemies have all fairly predictable patrol routes.

XiaNaphryz

Ferrio said:
Only been going Melee, Stealth, and Whatever the HP one is.
You're going to have to make a choice in a later Moscow mission, but if you have Brilliance (or are playing through as a veteran) you can opt to do both choices. If you plan on playing through more than once, it's not a big deal though.

Tenks

Yeah its a fun game but I agree with the "too easy" impressions. Most of the time I just hang out behind a box and use my pistol snipe to instantly kill people in the head w/ my silenced pistol. On the off-chance I get spotted I just line up 6 pistol shots and leave or just go Bruce Lee on their asses. I don't think I've lost a sliver of health in the past 5 missions.

Snuggles

erotic butter maelstrom
I tried to add my own level of challenge later in the game by reloading whenever I set off an alarm. I wish they had a mode like Big Boss Extreme where sounding an alarm would result in an automatic failure.

Ferrio

Banned
XiaNaphryz said:
You're going to have to make a choice in a later Moscow mission, but if you have Brilliance (or are playing through as a veteran) you can opt to do both choices. If you plan on playing through more than once, it's not a big deal though.

How woudl resetting cooldowns affect a choice?

hemtae

Ferrio said:
How woudl resetting cooldowns affect a choice?

The effect of Brilliance isn't really what he meant
you have to have a certain amount in tech proficiency or something or be the Vetern class

Mifune

Mehmber
Too easy? I could have sworn I saw reviewers complain that this game was too hard.

Anyway, I picked this up at Best Buy as part of their B2G1 sale going on right now (maybe that deserves its own thread?). 360 version. I love espionage. Can't wait to take the plunge.

Sober

jim-jam bongs said:
Wait, there's another way to play stealth games?
Yeah, it's called remove the stealth aspect, add QTEs and then call it "faithful to the franchise" and blame "stealth gameplay is always a frustrating, unnecessary experience" or something that everyone does all these days.

Trying really hard to like this game, but it's possibly one of the clunkiest games I've ever played, and I'm usually lenient when it comes to that stuff. Combat is disgusting and so far it's impossible to play stealthy because the guards always know where I am. To top it all off, I just got stuck in a wall. Going to play some more tomorrow, because I do like the dialogue system and the spy theme, but god, it's so bad to play.

ussjme

MidnightCowboy said:
Trying really hard to like this game, but it's possibly one of the clunkiest games I've ever played, and I'm usually lenient when it comes to that stuff. Combat is disgusting and so far it's impossible to play stealthy because the guards always know where I am. To top it all off, I just got stuck in a wall. Going to play some more tomorrow, because I do like the dialogue system and the spy theme, but god, it's so bad to play.
First few missions are frustrating but once you get used to the game controls and you get a fee upgrades the game becomes alot smoother

gillty

Banned
Honestly, I am surprised people have struggled with the stealth early on. I had no problem with a 360 pad, and the tweaked movement settings from a page or two back in the thread. In fact, I really enjoyed the combat, which I didn't expect after hearing all the negative reviews when the game came out.

About to start the last mission. Alpha Protocol > Mass Effect Series.

buhdeh

What's great about the combat? I literally melee'd every single enemy in the game (including the bosses) because it was far more effective than actually shooting them.

buhdeh said:
What's great about the combat? I literally melee'd every single enemy in the game (including the bosses) because it was far more effective than actually shooting them.

you meleed
brayko
? he didnt destroy you?

Hypatia

MidnightCowboy said:
A couple hours later and what do you know, game is awesome. I was a fool to doubt Obsidian.

Huh, really?

I wanted to love Alpha Protocol but the fact that enemies were prescient and that reloading a save file ended up removing all enemies (and any challenge) from the level meant I gave up on it before even finishing my first real mission.

Lothars

MidnightCowboy said:
A couple hours later and what do you know, game is awesome. I was a fool to doubt Obsidian.

I feel the oppisite this game and new vegas are a big reason why I question Obsidian because I feel the games they make are good but way to buggy.

XiaNaphryz

Hypatia said:
Huh, really?

I wanted to love Alpha Protocol but the fact that enemies were prescient
I never found this the case at all. Of course, it helps a lot to get that stealth skill leveled up enough that the enemy indicators stayed on screen at all times.

MaddenNFL64

I love AP. But it's shit in many aspects. Graphics, mechanics, bugs. I'm pretty fucking good at it now, but the learning curve just to seamlessly move up & down a ladder was longer than needed.

It's to Obsidians credit I ignore all it's shit, and love what it gives me.

Tenks

Mifune said:
Too easy? I could have sworn I saw reviewers complain that this game was too hard.

Anyway, I picked this up at Best Buy as part of their B2G1 sale going on right now (maybe that deserves its own thread?). 360 version. I love espionage. Can't wait to take the plunge.

I'm playing on PC with KBM so maybe that is removing all difficulty of gunplay

masterkajo

I am playing through it right now (steam sale!). Did a couple of missions in Rome so far. It is ok. Nothing too special but enjoyable nontheless.
I am having a weird problem though: when I move the mouse sometimes there is a lot of stutter and sudden mouse movements. I read to change the APEngine.ini file for min and max FPS to 20 and 30, respectivily as well as turning the smoothmousemovement = false. It is better - less frequent (by a margin) but still occurs from time to time. I know that my PC shouldn't be the problem so does anyone still know of some solutions? (It not it is at least enjoyablely playable this way).

amdnv

buhdeh said:
Play a harder difficulty. I watched some videos on normal difficulty where the player just ran straight up to the enemies and started punching them. When I tried the same thing in the same spot on hard I died before I even reached them.

MechaX

I just picked this game up today and... huh.

I definitely appreciate what they are trying to do with the stealth element, and the dialog sections are pretty well-handled without magic blue or red text options to fix everyone's problems.

But God Damn, I feel like this game wants me to play it like a chest-high wall cover shooter than anything actually stealth-related. I've never seen an AI that is so absolutely dumb, but still possesses something similar to clairvoyance to suddenly hit the alarm just because they saw something resembling a black pants leg down a 20 foot corridor (which happened to be mine). It's like the game is telling me "Stealth? Fuck that, glue yourself to this crate and start shooting away! Oh yeah, this guard who possess the psychic abilities to spot you just because you happened to tip-toe too close to him will further show his prowess by running at you in a straight line."

Edit: ... And after getting through a pretty long no-alert streak in one of the Saudi Arabia levels, I made the mistake of touching a ladder and making a sound, which promptly triggered two guards from the next room to suddenly bust in and kill me with a flood of SMG bullets. Fuck this game, I'm done for the night.

Labadal

MechaX said:

I definitely appreciate what they are trying to do with the stealth element, and the dialog sections are pretty well-handled without magic blue or red text options to fix everyone's problems.

But God Damn, I feel like this game wants me to play it like a chest-high wall cover shooter than anything actually stealth-related. I've never seen an AI that is so absolutely dumb, but still possesses something similar to clairvoyance to suddenly hit the alarm just because they saw something resembling a black pants leg down a 20 foot corridor (which happened to be mine). It's like the game is telling me "Stealth? Fuck that, glue yourself to this crate and start shooting away! Oh yeah, this guard who possess the psychic abilities to spot you just because you happened to tip-toe too close to him will further show his prowess by running at you in a straight line."

Edit: ... And after getting through a pretty long no-alert streak in one of the Saudi Arabia levels, I made the mistake of touching a ladder and making a sound, which promptly triggered two guards from the next room to suddenly bust in and kill me with a flood of SMG bullets. Fuck this game, I'm done for the night.

You do know sound matters in this game right? I tried one of the Taipei missions with and without sound damperers and there was a difference in enemies ability to spot you.

I completed the game with a stealth build on my second playthrough and had 0 kills in my record.

Yaska

MechaX said:

Spoiler for Saudi-Arabia
Imagine my face when playing the Nasir stage and there's a missile controls. I went to them thinking that in the long run I would sabotage teros. Instead Thorton freaking shoots the missiles INDOORS. Even the handler goes WTF

Also seems my game broke. I get oneshotted by all enemies, lock-picking time is 3 seconds, hacking time is 0.1 seconds. So I really think something broke.

MechaX

Labadal said:
You do know sound matters in this game right? I tried one of the Taipei missions with and without sound damperers and there was a difference in enemies ability to spot you.

I knew that sound matters, but in no way shape or form can I justify enemies running in from the next room due to a foot hitting a ladder leg, and even despite how I have definitely gotten behind cover a little bit away from the ladder every enemy in this damn base suddenly magically knows where I'm at.

Yaska said:
Spoiler for Saudi-Arabia
Imagine my face when playing the Nasir stage and there's a missile controls. I went to them thinking that in the long run I would sabotage teros. Instead Thorton freaking shoots the missiles INDOORS. Even the handler goes WTF

Also seems my game broke. I get oneshotted by all enemies, lock-picking time is 3 seconds, hacking time is 0.1 seconds. So I really think something broke.

I'm actually on that mission right now. I think things could go a lot more smoothly if I just decided to avoid every keypad and safe in the base (Keypad, I can see, but I'm not seeing how a 1 foot miniature safe can trigger the base-wide alarm and every enemy knows your exact position). Yeah, the guards are not really threats, but I'm really trying to play this stealth-like, not "Mike Thorton runs up in your face and roundhouse kicks you in the face"-like.

EDIT: Oh wow, yeah, Obsidian kinda fucked up when making enemies in the alert phase in this game. I was doing a mission in Moscow and an enemy stupidly walked in front of a passing train. Said enemy gets killed, but suddenly every guard enters the alert phase and starts firing on my position. What?

Top Bottom